Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MedievaLands: Unofficial Fan Recreation of The Shadow of Yserbius

getter77

Augur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_of_Yserbius
http://www.yserbius.org/index.php?threads/my-remake-of-the-shadow-of-yserbius-is-up.2055/
https://www.medievalands.com/ Win/Mac

MedievaLands is a fan recreation of The Shadow of Yserbius, an old school multiplayer dungeon crawler with grid-based movement, turn-based combat, and many puzzles and quests. Monsters have awoken in the dungeon of Yserbius and now plague the island of Twinion. Will you rise to the challenge?

Create your character, choosing from six classes and eight races. Adventure in a party of up to four people. Gather hundreds of items and learn a complex skill system of 48 different abilities. Explore an expansive dungeon that goes deep into the earth and into the timeless beyond.

IMPORTANT! This is not an official release, just a closed-source hobby project. I do not have the permission of the rights holders or owners of The Shadow of Yserbius.

Application Information
This program copies itself to your Documents directory under /Games/CommunityKit. It does this so it can update itself in a known location. Each time the program runs, it checks for updates and automatically patches itself.

Programming Facts
This recreation runs on a homemade engine called "CommunityKit". CommunityKit is written in C#, with the server running on .NET Core 2.0, and the client running on the FNA Framework on Windows and Mac.

The total server/client codebase is approximately 96,500 lines of code. This code is a from-scratch recreation of Yserbius: old cheats like Vitamin F do not work, and old bugs do not exist. In return, please enjoy the new bugs I have introduced (and am rapidly hunting down!).

The CommunityKit Engine took me seven and a half months to develop from start to release. Including time spent writing framework code not specific to CommunityKit and time spent deciphering the Yserbius data formats and game mechanics, I estimate that I spent 2,500 hours on this remake.

An accidental discovery the other day prompted by checking into the occasional rumors of a proper official revival of the series, but perhaps something of interest to folks here.

getter77

Augur
Could be a quirk that could be surmounted somehow even though the project is explicitly only Win/Mac given Wine is sorcery, hit up his contact info at the bottom of the MedievaLands page there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom