Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memory Lane - Which were your first games on the PC?

Melcar

Arcane
The first game I remember playing on a PC proper was Dangerous Dave.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Which were your first games on the PC?

Do you mean first games on microcomputers of any kind, or do you mean specifically on IBM PCs? :rpgcodex:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I had an Amiga for most of the PC's early years and I think my first actual PC game might have been Prince of Persia, although it was probably some PC port of a favourite Amiga game like one of the Ultimas.

First PC game I ever played:

psi-5-trading-co_3.png

PSI-5 Trading Company. I had the C64 version and only managed to complete a mission once!

My first ever game on an actual computer. Behold:

soulburner

Cipher
First PC games ever played? Doom and Wolfenstein (in that order) in ~1995 on a friend's computer, Duke Nukem 3D at a local computer shop.

First games played on my own PC? It was summer 1997. The first CD inserted into the 8x CD ROM drive was some cover disc with demos. First game... was some sort of first-person Descent-like shooter, maybe it was in space? I can't recall and can't find it on any lists of 1996-1997 games of that kind..... Then it was Rally Championship, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake - all demos and sharewares.
First full version of a game was Duke Nukem 3D copied from a friend on several 3,5" diskettes. At least one disk kept failing so I was running back and forth for the files but finally made it.
First legit game in a box was Rally Championship '99.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On my uncle's PC in DOS (somewhere in the early 90's)

Prehistoric. Very nice game.
APCB8nJ.jpg

or Barbarian. The controls were terrible, dunno how you can fuck up a platformer this badly, but they managed to do it. I still got pretty far in it.
Sr8dTzz.png

On Amstrad CPC if you count that (also in the early 90s)
Could have been:

Cauldron (although my version was called Hexenküche for some reason. No other game I had for Amstrad had a German name)
YGfVenw.png

or maybe Boulder Dash
9lzVJm3.png

or a few others but these are the ones I remember.

When my family got a PC with Windows one of the first things I got was this demo disc with a nice game selection.
mqI7ajF.jpg

I also remember playing Age of Empires 1 very well. That and War Wind got me into RTS.

ArchAngel

Arcane
my PC gaming started on 286, I think first two games were some Formula 1 and some Pinball one. After that I probably played most of the games that mattered for PC (like most of the ones I seen posted above).

HansDampf

Arcane
It must have been around 1995 or 1996, and the first games I remember were:

Goblins 3
ZZGiQjw.png

Commander Keen 4
912-commander-keen-4-secret-of-the-oracle-dos-screenshot-jumping.gif

Oxyd
426425-oxyd-dos-screenshot-this-ist-a-training-area-verstanten.png

Epic Pinball
1088-epic-pinball-dos-screenshot-android-bottom.gif

hivemind

some werid side scroller that i forgot the name of

then golden land the russian rpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
My first was Rayman on DOS (which was released a bit earlier on consoles, but w/e). Still love this game.

Ciel1PC.png

zeitgeist

Magister

This was the very first game that I distinctly remember playing on the PC, the other titles that I can recall playing from the mid to late 80s were Zak McKracken, Prince of Persia, Barbarian, King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Arkanoid, SimCity, some variant of Bomberman, Dangerous Dave and Rick Dangerous.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
:necro:

Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase
Strategy / 1995
DOS

Pretty sure I played this on an IBM machine, pre-1995. It was sort of a strategy/quiz game with hotseat multiplayer mode, featuring a top-down adventure map resembling that of Heroes II-III. Your goal was to complete a journey around the world before the other player(s) via train, zeppelin or car.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
First games I played on a 286 PC kind of sucked:

Robot (Shareware)

rob1img.gif

Blockout
Screenshot-3.png

First games I bought for the PC:

Monkey Islands 2
26-760-570.jpg

Wizardry 7

ds_014.png
dj_4c6e704bb2c37.png
Drolin_4dac6af433e01.png

ds_201.png
ds_022.png
mazar1234_4dfa104ff392d.png

Those two were the highest rated PC games in the game journo I read back then (Power Play).

Curratum

My dad dragged home an old 386 PC one day, I only had a NES before that.

A friend of mine gave me some floppy disks and this was what was on them - my first PC games:

I played all of those within the first 6 months of getting a PC, I think.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Zork 1.

Followed by some other Infocom (and other co's) text adventures.

First graphical game I can recall was...Lode Runner. It had a level editor. Green screen.

Zep--

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
First games I played on PC (actually Mac, the Apple Performa 550) were the shareware versions of Exile: Escape from the Pit and something called Spectre Challenger that doesn't even appear to have videos of it, while the first full game I remember owning was Populous II.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom