Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Perkel

Arcane
The guards in MGSV have the longest line of sight and the best AI in the series.

No they don't. MGS4 had best AI in series. While it is true that line of sight was smaller you need to account first that previous MGS games used very small places compared to MGS5 so unlike MGS5 you had to constantly walk past dudes mare few meters from you.

MGS5 enemy AI is like retarded brother of MGS4 AI. IT is clearly line above most of game but compared to MGS4 AI it is joke.

1. They do not look for you. They generally patrol stuff but they do not actively look for you in places where you can hide. At the boss hard in mgs4 they would routinely search small spaces room by room, open dumpsters etc.
2. IN mgs4 they worked as groups. Before turning they would take positions, before opening said dumpster few of them would target dumpster and others would keep watch at their back. When moving forward they would almost always have someone watching their back and both sides. Nothing like this exist in MGS5 and thanks to this you can take out whole base without problem
3. MGS5 Alarm/Causion system is complete joke compared to MGS4 system. For one it goes away way to quickly, two unlike MGS4 enemies barely get reinforcements so it doesn't matter if there is alarm or not because either way you can clear whole base Rambo style.
4. There is no difficulty so no matter if you play hard mission or not in mgs5 you can go rambo anytime and it never really matters if you do stealth or not. In MGS4 at the boss hard it is simply impossible to go Rambo because one short burst and you are dead.
5. At the boss hard in MGS4 if you get alarm there is no way to turn off causion until you clear whole level everyone will be in caution stage meaning if they will see you then you have max few seconds before alarm goes and reinforcements would drive new hole in your butt.

MGS5 AI had to be cut back because game went from closed designed spaces to open world. It is still good AI but nothing like MGS4.

Especially lack of higher def hurts that forced you to try actually be stealthy because fighting enemy head on was like fighting guards in Thief. Possible but your chances were not high.

boot

Prophet
MGS4 had gameplay?

It did, and it was probably the best gameplay. Middle East level is probably my favorite piece of Metal Gear in the series.

Adon

Arcane
Act 1 is the high point of MGS4, and then it all goes downhill. When it comes to the traditional controls for MGS, 4 is probably the best, and the gameplay itself had potential, but it never felt fully realized. Outside of a few sections, you weren't sneaking through a battlefield as much as just sneaking right around it. The octocamo was a great idea that unfortunately trivializes the gameplay in everything below the hardest difficulties; which in turn, the octocamo's usefulness is minimized against the heightened AI.

The worst of the lot is probably Act 3 where you just follow a resistance member for an hour followed by a bike chase sequence that goes on for too long, and Act 4 where the fanwankery gets turned up to 11 and you have to destroy the geckos while half of your fucking screen is being used up for a fight between Vamp and Raiden that you can't even pay attention to.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
What is the best way to play the MGS games not on PC? Are any of them legally emulated? Or do I have to get a Paystation?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
MGS5 AI had to be cut back because game went from closed designed spaces to open world. It is still good AI but nothing like MGS4.

MGSV was never meant to be like MGS4 in that respect, it was always open world, it's just building off what was established in Peace Walker.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
What is the best way to play the MGS games not on PC? Are any of them legally emulated? Or do I have to get a Paystation?

You can play the HD versions of 2, 3 and Peace walker in PS3/Xbox 360, or you can play them through emulation. PCs2 works very well overall. Sadly, MGS4 is PS3 exclusive.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

You can play the HD versions of 2, 3 and Peace walker in PS3/Xbox 360, or you can play them through emulation. PCs2 works very well overall. Sadly, MGS4 is PS3 exclusive.
Thanks for the information! Hopefully, Metal Gear Survive bombs hard enough that Konami will consider porting them to PC.

Perkel

Arcane

MGSV was never meant to be like MGS4 in that respect, it was always open world, it's just building off what was established in Peace Walker.

We are talking here about AI not about whole game.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Best way to play MGS games not on PC is with an emulator, the ports that are out there aren't good. I think Digital Foundry did a video on various ports and their problems, at least on MGS2.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got a cheap Xbox 360 just to play the HD versions. 360's are damn cheap nowadays, I think the game cost more than the console.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
In case you haven't started yet, this is the best way to play MGS1: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears..._full_release_metal_gear_solid_1_integral_pc/
Thanks a lot! Mega seems to be locally blocked, but I'll download it from a cafe or something. How much GB is it?
750mb.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Heh, so a bit more than two years later I'm finally done with MGS. Certainly enjoyed all of them but yeah, the 2nd chapter of MGSV was mostly a bummer.

Did you play Peace Walker? If so, what did you think of it?
I finally finished MGS4(lost my act4 save, so had to replay it) and started on MGS:PW HD. Got to chapter 2, but so far it's been pissing me off more than anything. Does it get better?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Heh, so a bit more than two years later I'm finally done with MGS. Certainly enjoyed all of them but yeah, the 2nd chapter of MGSV was mostly a bummer.

I finally finished MGS4(lost my act4 save, so had to replay it) and started on MGS:PW HD. Got to chapter 2, but so far it's been pissing me off more than anything. Does it get better?
I skipped non-numbered games.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron

I skipped non-numbered games.
i'm planning to only do Peace Walker and Revengeance, but that decision is being tested with Peace Walker already

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
God damn, I love this game.

If bowling over commies while riding a cardboard box adorned with an anime poster and then holding them up with a squirt gun is wrong, I don't want to be right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom