Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not wasting my bandwidth and money for TPP until next semester so that has to wait.

Also, now that I remember it, I remember doing the same escape plan scenario stuff on the Ubisoft's Far Cry games, but they are less memorable.
If it's your first time playing the game, keep in mind mgsv is moddable to a degree, by the community, though you might be better served by waiting until your second playthrough to use Infinite Heaven and a few other complex mods which change a good deal. However, Infinite Heaven is an excellent mod for MGSV, and enhances the experience a great deal. Something to keep in mind for the future, if nothing else.
It's kinda pointless replying to that post, I already forgot about Ground Zero and currently have no plan to play TPP. Also I was mostly talking about lack of sound and light mechanics in this game, which I believe would make the game much easier if applied to Ground Zero without further tweaking.
Why would you even want the game to be even easier? It's already too easy already?
I don't know either. It was a post from early 2018 and I already forgot what goes on my mind when I wrote it.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
i've already played all mgs games except 4 and 5.

EDIT: well, and except the Acid Jazz games and portable ops. I did play peace walker though.
Then play 4. It has a lot of cutscenes but the gameplay is top notch, and the online mode was incredible.

mwnn85

Savant
Metal Gear Solid 5 Definitive Ed
https://gg.deals/gb/pack/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience/
https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience-steam-key--2857-3 £4.40 Historical Low

I liked the first game (back on the PC/PS1) but thought the others were completely barmy.
Bought the awful PC port of the second game thinking it would be an improvement over the first - didn't realize I wasn't even playing as Snake. (pre-internet!)
Went more towards Thief and Splinter Cell after that.

Bought this - activated on STEAM without issue - full game(s) with all DLC.
US store link.
I know I can get it working under Linux as well with DXVK.
That's three recent orders now thanks to that damn gg.deals site: Total Warhammer (£8 @Fanatical), Arkham Collection (£9@Voidu) and this for £4.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Go to the Nexus Mod site, The Phantom Pain, and download the Hardcore Mod. Trust me, without this the game has no challenge whatsoever.

mwnn85

Savant
Go to the Nexus Mod site, The Phantom Pain, and download the Hardcore Mod. Trust me, without this the game has no challenge whatsoever.
I've just been playing it for a while under Linux with SteamPlay and an XBOX360 controller; it works perfectly with no tweaking even on my old potato computer. (Phenom X4 955)
Ground Zeroes doesn't work yet though.

The (self-imposed) challenge I've set is to try and ghost through the map or at least being non-lethal (just like the harder difficulties in Thief)
If I gun down all the guards it'd be far too easy; I'll have to turn off "reflex" mode and possibly the enemy blips.

Enemies seem to have a reasonable level of awareness - not going to exploit any obvious glitches/weaknesses.
I've not quite mastered the art of opening a door quietly plus I seem to knock over ever pot in sight. (I've never seen any other game where you can open a door like in Raven Shield i.e. using the mouse wheel)
Not got a lot of options for knocking out enemies permanently at the start.
I know you can do that trick to make the guards lie down (but it feels like cheating!)
Love those wall slam takedowns.

The game received some criticism for not being finished but it looks like a decent mix of Splinter Cell, Thief 3 and sandbox games like GTA.
Could easily sink hours into it.
Be nice if I could skip the hospital at the start on repeat playthroughs.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If they managed to throw in Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox the game would have been better, whether it was finished or not. Even a fucking cameo. I played on PS4 so no mods for me, but forcing yourself to be super quiet is the best option otherwise. It's such a goddamn shame the engine is wasted now. The best stealth entry in years, but there is hardly enough good content to satiate your thirst, and no the multiplayer isn't that great to compensate.

So many dangling threads. Even now it itches away at my mind. The possible switchup they could have did at the end seemed fucking obvious. We should have played as Solid Snake the last few missions so that the series could be wrapped up properly. But we didn't even get a conclusion to the fucking Metal Gear in this entry. 51 was cut with good reason I might add. Kojima is so obscenely pretentious that he probably wasted the entire budget on the credits for each mission. He should have plastered his fucking name on Quiet's ass just so we could figure out he developed the franchise. He was so jealous of Hayter that he canned his ass, instead choosing that one guy that was in Lost Boy's....relatively obscure actor nobody likes. His name escapes me but I know it rhymes with Reefer Motherland.

Long story short - the story sucks almost as bad as Peacewalker. The gameplay is divine. The level design is mediocre, with no interior levels. Ya know they could have had Big Boss take over the Mother Base island (Ground Zeroes), not blown it up, and told a decent origin, but Kojima was so obsessed with pulling the rug out that he prematurely ejaculated and forgot the finish the game. Or he spent it all on hookers and muscle relaxers.

Perkel

Arcane

Oh mate, i completely forgot that modding exists for this game as i played it first on PS4 and never bothered with PC version. Damn with proper mods this could be game of the forever for tactical action games.

edit:

downloading mgs5 from steam now. Don't like the story but the image of normal goal centered missions with proper rules like no access to supply drops, very hard limit on ammo, way better AI which can actually see things and a lot of new missions is enough for me.

edit 2:

You can buy if for like 5$ now from key shop sites.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found this little gem while browsing Metal Gear related stuff.
I liked it, and it actually gives me some closure to the whole thing. Metal Gear 5 might not have to feel so unfinished anymore...

Loyal soldier to the end
rating_salute.gif

Perkel

Arcane
Trying to install infinite heaven mod with snakebite mod installer and it doesn't seem to work for some reason... or i am just stupid.
Tried to open menu with V + shift like mod page said but it doesn't work. Tried with space also doesn't work.

Question: Which mod is the greatest to make MGS5 more challenging ?

edit: Got it working. Holding space did it, also via pad square button hold does same thing.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Loving PC k/m controls.

Also love infinite heaven options. Like scaling of GMP and resources you get. Vanilla showers you with money while if you set it up to just 20% R&D and deployment costs will now be meaningful.
It also gives option to unlock gunsmithing, sideops, buddies, playing as your own character etc from get go.

Perkel

Arcane
Set up player health just to 20% of normal value and enemy sight to 150%
Man i get The Boss difficulty flashbacks from MGS4 and MGS3.

It is a shame that game was cut. No doubt they would deliver above in vanilla game if Konami wouldn't fuck up game.

Perkel

Arcane
I liked it, and it actually gives me some closure to the whole thing. Metal Gear 5 might not have to feel so unfinished anymore...

Loyal soldier to the end
rating_salute.gif

To be fair according to MGS5 story Medic which is who you play with and works as Big Boss double is who you kill in original Metal Gear on MSX. So he doesn't die at the end of MGS5 or anywhere near of that but he is killed via Solid Snake in first Metal Gear.
It kinds of answers why he was revived in MG2. I think Bunnyhop covered it a year ago with his delve into MGS lore.

I think MGS5 could have great story if Kojima was allowed to finish because there are a lot of cues pointing to great story (like paz being on plarform) but like Bunnyhop said whole thing didn't pan out because clearly game had 3rd act cut out and it is obvious that not all things were put in Act 1/2 as they have weird pacing issues all over the place.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Question: Which mod is the greatest to make MGS5 more challenging ?

Hardcore Mod.

-Increases enemy sight and hearing
-Limits the throwable magazines to 6
-Makes suppressors last much less
-Increases enemy damage
-Increases the time health regen starts to kick in and decreases the amount health regen
-Limits ammo of all items and weapons by half
-Makes camo a bit more useful

Funnily enough I think I was indirectly responsible for the creation of this mod.
You see I made a request for a kind of Hardcore Mod in a reddit forum for MGS game mods, 2 weeks after the game released. And a few days later, in that same forum, the creator of the original version of Hardcore Mod (JRavens) made a post about his new mod for TPP that had pretty much all the aspects I had requested.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Loyal soldier to the end
rating_salute.gif

To be fair according to MGS5 story Medic which is who you play with and works as Big Boss double is who you kill in original Metal Gear on MSX. So he doesn't die at the end of MGS5 or anywhere near of that but he is killed via Solid Snake in first Metal Gear.

Isn't that what this video is showing? As the Big Boss double is dying, there is a quick flashback, which shows that Solid Snake was the one who killed him.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The whole point of the video, just a nice added fan-made cutscene set after Venom punches the mirror.

Perkel

Arcane
Oh i just remembered that RPCS3 aka emulator of PS3 lately got to very good point.
Which means that i will download in a while PS3 version of Peace Walker (which runs at 1080p@60fps)

I finished peace walker years ago on PSP and while gameplay was great it was severely fucked with PSP lack of dual sticks.
I hope PS3 version revisited controls.
I should have it in hour or two and raport if this works and how is the performance.

For anyone who never played Peace Walker, Peace Walker essentially is MGS5 it even had MGS5 name for a while before they abruptly change title to peace walker before release. Whole motherbase aspect of game also is lightyears better in MGS PW.
The only thing is that it has small maps and works more like old MGS games being really tight.

Perkel

Arcane
Well folks it works without any graphical or sound glitches and control is very good unlike PSP version.
With Vulcan renderer i get most of the time 60fps with some downs to 45fps on larger maps at least at the beginning idk how more expansive maps later will work.
On vulcan renderer initial few cutscenes crash emulator so go via opengl and then switch to vulcan back when you will go into mother base.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well folks it works without any graphical or sound glitches and control is very good unlike PSP version.
With Vulcan renderer i get most of the time 60fps with some downs to 45fps on larger maps at least at the beginning idk how more expansive maps later will work.
On vulcan renderer initial few cutscenes crash emulator so go via opengl and then switch to vulcan back when you will go into mother base.
That's nice to hear. Could you tell me the hardware you are running this emulator on?

Perkel

Arcane
That's nice to hear. Could you tell me the hardware you are running this emulator on?

I5-3570k@4,5Ghz and GTX980. GPU doesn't really matter. CPU is important. With something like 7700k@5Ghz game should run 100% speed same as Demon's Souls.
On my rig Demon's Souls runs around 30fps with dips to 25 a lot of times.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
There is a 360 released for Peace Walker too, also really good. 60 fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom