Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Released!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. eXalted Savant

eXalted
    Just finished mission 31. Still haven't discovered what is Free Roam for? Why should I use it?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dick. Arcane

Dick.
    Free mode is basically for farming S rank soldiers (when you have high enough Heroism so they appear), and doing Side Ops. Most of the Side Ops are repetitive shit but AFAIK a certain amount of them are required to get the last mission.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For fun.

^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I just watched quiet fall slowly out of a helicopter and then dance naked in the rain. Snake watched the whole thing and played with her

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    One of the funniest and dumbest thing happened. I'm in an FOB and the fucking guards see me through the walls from the floor above and shoot me through the fucking floor and kill me all indoors.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Some of these side ops have the dumbest premises. How do these kids escape from mother base in the ocean near Madagascar and make it all the way to Afghanistan?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    They borrowed your walker gears.

^ Top  
  8. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    these post-mission 30 missions where you do some of the same missions but harder have been quite good. They offer actual challenge like the subsistence missions where you start with no gear, buddies and can't call in supply drops or helicopter help. Downside is that the skulls mission is complete shit with increased health & teleporting and you have to watch all the same cutscenes twice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Eh looks like I've found the trick to getting frequent S ranks. Just go through the mission as quick as possible without enemies seeing you. It doesn't matter if you kill or don't kill the enemies, if enemies get alert or if you do the optical objectives.

^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Shit that was a lot of work for a mere jacket.

^ Top  
  11. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Just did a mission where skulls popped out of a truck. I got hit 18 times by the skulls and still got an S rank. I guess it doesn't matter how many times you were hit but rather not getting caught and how quickly you finish.

^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    How quickly you finish is all that matters.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. eXalted Savant

eXalted
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    :what:
    He isn't...... big boss? I saved kojima? I'm both big boss and I'm my own man? The twists

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You were betrayed by your friend into believing you were someone you are not, just to die so he could continue with his plans.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Should I go back to play metal gear solid? I found that reddit thread and got the game working on my computer or should I play MGS4? I have a PS3 and it was given for free in PS PLUS.

^ Top  
  17. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Finished ground zeroes. Took me 53 minutes and got a B rank first try.

It's a very large base and controls well but not quite as well as phantom pain. There's some stiffness like slower sprinting speed, and surprisingly you can't hide enemies in trash cans and you can in phantom pain.

Holy shit I got a funny ass cutscene after rolling around in the beginning of the game.

The map screen isn't quite as good as phantom pain but the level is pretty good but I don't see how it's better than phantom pain unless you thoroughly dislike the open world.

Overall it's quite good. It's MGSV duh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. eXalted Savant

eXalted
    People were probably playing it 50 times before the MGSV release, it got under their skin and that's why they can't shake the feeling that it's better than the whole game. It's not.

^ Top  
  19. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    In essence, it was the equivalent of one of the bases from phantom pain with a greater amount of buildings and slightly worse mechanics without any open world.

I could understand someone preferring if phantom pain just cut out all the bases and made them into different stages, but it isn't a "better game" nor does it particularly have better level design.

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    The serval rifle really trivializes skulls, goddamn.

^ Top  
  21. eXalted Savant

eXalted
    Also activating rain on using the Weather Control dazes the SKULL sniper chicks and makes them dance

^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Skull snipers suck.

^ Top  
  23. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Just played through the main mission of Ground Zeroes. Pleasantly surprised by how difficult this was, for a glorified game instruction.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)