Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I love MGS so much

This better have way more cutscenes. MGR was way too short

FOX engine looks amazing. No way they don't put it on PC

Song for trailer was great

Big Boss > Snake

Also this game better let us recruit child soldiers

I think V mean that we play as Big Boss's clone (not Solidus the Vth one)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Being listed in the Steam database is no confirmation. See: Final Fantasy 7, Halo 3, whatever else. I do hope the original comes to PC since I won't get a console for it and would need to play it before the second game, but it's not confirmed as far as I know.

21.jpg

See that PC logo?

Diablo169

Arcane
It's not a Castlevania game without the kickass music. All Lords of Shadow had was generic fantasy orchestra. Wheres my Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears!?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Wouldn't this be the good point for them to bring back Richard Doyle to do Big Boss?

I mean, it's definitely a bummer that we won't have Hayter back, but if they wanted to keep making games centred around Big Boss then this was bound to happen eventually. I'm kinda surprised they kept him on as long as they did.

Diablo169

Arcane
METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

Shots fired, your move Konami :bounce:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
April 1, 2013

Shots fired, your move Konami :bounce:
April's fool!!!! Hayter will be in the game!

Seriously, Konami is shooting themselves in the foot, if they changed this. I'm not saying that the game will suck if they don't have Hayter on board, but they are not doing any good by changing Snake's voice. The game won't be better with a new voiceactor, but will alienate some people. If they want to innovate, or freshen up the series a little bit, they can only do it with improved gameplay. Also it is strange that the japanese voice actor (who is just as iconic in Japan as Hayter in the west) will be the same.

Diablo169

Arcane
Wishful thinking Matt, have you reached out to David for an interview? I appreciate it's not a retro title but you could always talk to him about his screen writing.

:troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wishful thinking Matt, have you reached out to David for an interview? I appreciate it's not a retro title but you could always talk to him about his screen writing.

:troll:
I can announce that they will have an annoncement of an announcement on 15th of April. :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was pretty pissed they changed Sam Fisher's voice. It's funny how the voice becomes the character. Can you imagine Thief with a different sounding Garrett?

Honestly though gameplay is what matters.

Well, in any series other than this one. :troll:

Sul

Savant
Metal Gear.............game play? Is that when you press the select button to answer the codec?
To be fair, Kojima did improved the formula if you look back. Just compare MGS1 with MGS3, Peace Walker and now MGS5 where lighting and shadow play a much bigger role. At least he doesn't dumb down the experience because he wants the player to have a cinematic experience, actually it's the contrary, the gameplay still very "gamey".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Metal Gear.............game play? Is that when you press the select button to answer the codec?
Don't try to be edgy. MGS might have lots of cutscenes, but the gameplay was always rock solid with no QTEs and got more and more detailed with each new game.

Felix

Arcane
YEAH, dicking round Metal Gear's gameplay is fun as fuck, can't say the same about other AAA games.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I think the Jap VA remains the same for the whole series.

MapMan

Arcane
They went for a nice realistic look (instead of "cinematic" like crytek with cryengine did for example) and it looks quite nice! Nothing ground breaking but it's really refreshing. I have absolutely no clue what's with the story (played shitton of MGS1 but that was waaaaaay back) and as you know, I gave up with MGS2 until I get a pad. Other games weren't even on PC, right? As to gameplay, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think the Jap VA remains the same for the whole series.
They did have Ocelot voiced by the Jap VA for Liquid Snake in MGS4, what with the original guy dying and all.

Although that just makes the plot twist at the end even more fucking confusing. Good thing Kojima's always thought the English VA was the 'real' dub for the game, I guess.

Psquit

Arcane
I checked out this series due to hype and bailed shortly after the 10th or so time I had to watch more cutscene than I had just played the game. I remember a particularly horrible one where my character mostly talked about love and pianos or some shit with a girl on the secret spy ear-phone.

I think Gun of Patriots teached many gamers how to cook eggs decently :)

The funny part its true! that game teach me how to cook eggs without burn them...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom