Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    It's not so much even the puzzle-like nature of the older level design of the series, more it being non-stop engaging gameplay (if you skip the cutscenes) and attention to detail + more points of interest per area rather than literal square miles of space with nothing much of interest in them, and constant riding horses to the next objective marker.
    Same shit that has happened with open world games in general, e.g vice city and san andreas vs GTAV. Morrowind vs Skyrim etc. they were smaller worlds, but were more compact with actual engaging content. I play games for the gameplay first and foremost, as should any sensible individual, so the cinematic walking sim nature of many modern games is a real bummer.

There's also the fact that MGS5 just ain't particularly challenging, what with being able to take an absolute battalion of shots, then regen your health by hiding behind a rock and sucking your thumb. among other things. People saying MGSV has the best gameplay in the series deserve a slap. Better controls. Yes. Better gameplay to cutscene ratio, yes. Other than that it's let down by the typical modern shit like bland level design and popamole game mechanics that the older games never suffered from.

I ranted about this shit in the other Kojima's Cucks thread before but someone above wrote how MGSV has the best gameplay of the series and I got autistically triggered.

• Agree x 3
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Fixed in Enhanced Edition PS2 release of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Peasants are always conflating elaborate gameplay mechanics with actual gameplay (which is the synergy between gameplay mechanics, available resources, level design and enemy variety/placement).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    like?

Pretty sure San Andreas was big as fuck and much larger than previous GTA games combined.

^ Top  
  5. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Suck your thumb behind a rock regen health? awsum slow time powerz? Riding horses to the next objective marker rinse and repeat?

Big? Somewhat, though still notably smaller than the average modern open world game and more importantly they still managed to fill it with meaningful content.
    Modern open world games suffer from "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" syndrome.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    I feel like most of the complaints about level design are actually complaints about mission/objective design... which is kind of meh, not even counting side-ops here. GZ had more imagination in its side-ops than 75% of main missions in TPP. I think an explanation of this was the focus on the base-building/management aspect, making most missions a variation of "extract this" (even if the contract was to kill the target, but I guess everybody tried to extract first, specially with ocelot pestering you on how it would be a shame to kill the talented targets). Also most of the optional objective were pure fluff that added little to the experience. I enjoyed replaying the missions just to try different approaches but not for the optional objectives.

Also they could've designed interesting scenarios that don't involve infiltrating in enemy outposts. MGS 3 didn't have many interiors (which is what people claim the spirit of MGS is) but you had lots of infiltration in the wilderness (kinda like that mission in V where you have to extract the containers from the jungle, why not make more missions using the actual landscape?). And before I forget, the open world was very underutilized in main missions as well, you either had to operate in a small portion of the terrain or just travel for a minute in linear ways to the next base. The Backup Back Down mission was an exception to this, from the moment you start you have to make decisions about where to go, how, and when, and being constantly in the move. You couldn't also cheese it in replays by going to "special spot to finish the objective" like other missions that tried to use the open world (like Traitor's Caravan)... well, you could just eliminate a single armored vehicle, but you would get a shit ranking in the process. Now that I mention it, this is another way in which the game could have been improved, instead of having a ranking system with universal rules, make it so that each mission has special requirements to get the S-Rank. In a nutshell, they could've done a lot more to make the game more interesting without altering the level design. It's a shame because I really like the mechanics and variety of playstyles that the game offers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    They really did need another big interior infiltration spot though. Even if they just reused the Ground Zeroes map.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    You've had object markers since San Andreas. GTA 4 introduced GPS because in real life, we have GPS.

San Andreas is bigger than many modern open world games, like MGSV for example. Meaningful content like?

They go hand in hand

^ Top  
  9. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    MGSV does have the best gameplay of the series. There just aren't enough handcrafted levels in the game to take advantage of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I am enjoying Ground Zeroes. Don't care about the story since the only Metal Gear I've played before is Revengeance. Actual stealth mechanic is a joke, but the map is interesting so I had fun playing cat-and-mouse with the enemies, especially since there is no unrestricted save.

Mission and side-ops are fun, it's true you're very powerful for a stealth game characters but you have to plan entries and escape carefully, since mission targets will usually make it hard for you if you just go all out. It makes for a cool action movie scenario where you find the target without being detected and hid them inside a truck then drive away to somewhere safe (While being fired at by enemies), where you hid for a while before calling in your helicopter.

The regenerating health is of course a decline on paper but in practice I'd only notice it if I'm running straight to the objective with enemies on my tail, so it's kinda OK. Slow-mo is almost useless, in this kind of game it is only useful to take out enemies before they call help, but it would only do that if you happen to have a suppressed primary weapon... which degrades like a rusty pipe. Tranq pistol takes time to work, so non-lethal weapon isn't OP.

Overall it should be a generic action game on paper, but the map, the missions, the player's arsenal, and the restricted save made it one of the best generic action game I've ever played.

... Oh, but it seems the main game itself had very few of what made GZ good, from what I read on this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Never stop being full of retards, Codex.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yep, Ground Zeroes is actually one of the best missions/levels in stealth history.

A pity the full game is a half-finished mess.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    Considering that GZ it’s actually an episode of TPP sold separatedly, the main game has what made GZ good and more.

Only those who jumped in the TPP hate bandwagon will say that GZ is superior to the main game, with “muh camp omega design” and stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    I'm not wasting my bandwidth and money for TPP until next semester so that has to wait.

Also, now that I remember it, I remember doing the same escape plan scenario stuff on the Ubisoft's Far Cry games, but they are less memorable.

^ Top  
  15. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I missed your post defending TPP, chill about it.

^ Top  
  16. Ocelot Learned

Ocelot
    Phantom Pain should have been two entries IMO. The first one should end at chapter 1, then have bonus/subsistence missions only. The second one should have the few events that take place during chapter 2 plus the "Kingdom of Flies" chapter to properly finish the story. I don't get why Kojima didn't end Phantom Pain at chapter 1 instead of trying to fit literally everything into one game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. CptMace Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I think he was pretty fed up with mgs. He's been for some time now.

^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Hope you're enjoying browsing your favourite MGSV-related topic! This is just a periodic friendly reminder that MGSV is....

A Game by Hideo Kojima

Directed by Hideo Kojima

Written by Hideo Kojima

Expect periodic reminders throughout the duration of your browsing experience. Thanks for your attention!

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Utgard-Loki Arcane

Utgard-Loki
    imagine not liking the level intro credits.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • incline incline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dreed Bremsstrahlunged Patron

Dreed
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Thane Solus LW Games Developer

Thane Solus
    What are the best songs for MGS 4 and 5? Since thats all i could get good from MGS series (2 good tracks made by some autistic japo! one quite some old school jazz, pretty good! - MGS3, MGS 4 - way to fall?)

Kojimbob is the best non Chris Roberts of his age (making me just a hater!). Making B movies cutscenes, while in the same space with others that were trying to make games (average Capcom toilet developers, toilet is a reference for those that know a bit about jap desu, desu corps)

10/10 - no gameplay!

^ Top  
  22. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    But unlike Chris Roberts he actually made some fun, good games.

^ Top  
  23. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    MGS3 is a not a walking sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    At least point to an actual existing flaw like too many cutscenes in MGS4. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    MGSV is not a movie. It's a good game

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)