Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    I had to dig up for credits and Joel Manners is listed as lead design and also original concept.

But honestly I do think you are not giving Chris much credit as in III and IV you had more freedom that in previous games, its not as if WC didnt had "victory/defeat" routes but IV had its final confrontation being entirely a battle of wits instead of space pewpew that you could LOSE and also had 2 different victory endings that depended on what exactly you did during the game. WC IV also had the VERY FIRST CHOICE you made being incredible important despite not looking like it not to mention a small route were you stayed on the Lexington.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Thane Solus LW Games Developer

Thane Solus
    I didnt brought that up, but Chris in III and IV, was larping as a Movie Director, and ignoring the game dev part of the games. He has many achiemvents, beeing the first Kojimbob, beeing one, but he went the KWA way, way too quick. Even Luke, was trying to explain to him how things work, but noooo. Outlander was great tho! He was one of the XXX producers.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Link pls.

^ Top  
  4. Thane Solus LW Games Developer

Thane Solus
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    MGS4 is ten years old now

[​IMG]

• Old Old x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    If it's your first time playing the game, keep in mind mgsv is moddable to a degree, by the community, though you might be better served by waiting until your second playthrough to use Infinite Heaven and a few other complex mods which change a good deal. However, Infinite Heaven is an excellent mod for MGSV, and enhances the experience a great deal. Something to keep in mind for the future, if nothing else.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    When I had the game installed I only had the Hardcore Mod, which is a much needed addition since the vanilla game is easy as taking candy from a baby.
    Last I played I had tried a mod which adds some new side ops, that unlike the ones in the vanilla game don't suck dick. Recomend it.

By the way, wtf does Infinite Heaven do? Never understood it.

^ Top  
  8. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    It adds in a massive amount of toggleable features in the form of the mod. Things like increased enemies on the map, increased patrols, increased helicopters for the enemy as well as tanks, jeeps and all other types of vehicles. It allows you to add the chance to be attacked by the skulls in free roam, or to have unique soldiers in free roam you can kidnap or interrogate for new soldiers or new information. Those are just off the top of my head. theres much more.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Monkey Baron Learned

Monkey Baron
    IMO, I would encourage using Infinite Heaven for everyone's first playthrough. It enables you to skip those needlessly long helicopter intros for each mission. I have 125 hours in it on Steam (I also finished the first chapter on console) and being able to skip those was what made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. I definitely would not have replayed almost all of the missions if I had to sit through an extra minute of seeing those intro credits that in some cases spoils the missions...

^ Top  
  10. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's kinda pointless replying to that post, I already forgot about Ground Zero and currently have no plan to play TPP. Also I was mostly talking about lack of sound and light mechanics in this game, which I believe would make the game much easier if applied to Ground Zero without further tweaking.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    :what:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    Why would you even want the game to be even easier? It's already too easy already?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    does one have to play ground zeroes in order to *really get* the mgs5 experience?

^ Top  
  14. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Yes, it's an excellent slice of content. Isn't it part of the base game?

^ Top  
  15. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    It comes bundled with the base tpp now if you get the definitive experience. But to *really get* the mgsV experience, you must play MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS peacewalker before you play MGSV. MGS4 is optional, but not required. 1 & 2 can be emulated, 3 as well I think, but its not optimized as well, last I tried. Do not play a tale of two snakes, and absolutely do not play portable ops under any reason or condition. MGS:Rising should only be played after MSG4 as well, as its the latest game in the timeline. Additionally, the subsistence games are largely filler and pointless.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    i've already played all mgs games except 4 and 5.

EDIT: well, and except the Acid Jazz games and portable ops. I did play peace walker though.

^ Top  
  17. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I don't know either. It was a post from early 2018 and I already forgot what goes on my mind when I wrote it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    Then play 4. It has a lot of cutscenes but the gameplay is top notch, and the online mode was incredible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
  20. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    Metal Gear Solid 5 Definitive Ed
    https://gg.deals/gb/pack/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience/
    https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience-steam-key--2857-3 £4.40 Historical Low

I liked the first game (back on the PC/PS1) but thought the others were completely barmy.
    Bought the awful PC port of the second game thinking it would be an improvement over the first - didn't realize I wasn't even playing as Snake. (pre-internet!)
    Went more towards Thief and Splinter Cell after that.

Bought this - activated on STEAM without issue - full game(s) with all DLC.
    US store link.
    I know I can get it working under Linux as well with DXVK.
    That's three recent orders now thanks to that damn gg.deals site: Total Warhammer (£8 @Fanatical), Arkham Collection (£9@Voidu) and this for £4.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Go to the Nexus Mod site, The Phantom Pain, and download the Hardcore Mod. Trust me, without this the game has no challenge whatsoever.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    I've just been playing it for a while under Linux with SteamPlay and an XBOX360 controller; it works perfectly with no tweaking even on my old potato computer. (Phenom X4 955)
    Ground Zeroes doesn't work yet though.

The (self-imposed) challenge I've set is to try and ghost through the map or at least being non-lethal (just like the harder difficulties in Thief)
    If I gun down all the guards it'd be far too easy; I'll have to turn off "reflex" mode and possibly the enemy blips.

Enemies seem to have a reasonable level of awareness - not going to exploit any obvious glitches/weaknesses.
    I've not quite mastered the art of opening a door quietly plus I seem to knock over ever pot in sight. (I've never seen any other game where you can open a door like in Raven Shield i.e. using the mouse wheel)
    Not got a lot of options for knocking out enemies permanently at the start.
    I know you can do that trick to make the guards lie down (but it feels like cheating!)
    Love those wall slam takedowns.

The game received some criticism for not being finished but it looks like a decent mix of Splinter Cell, Thief 3 and sandbox games like GTA.
    Could easily sink hours into it.
    Be nice if I could skip the hospital at the start on repeat playthroughs.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    If they managed to throw in Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox the game would have been better, whether it was finished or not. Even a fucking cameo. I played on PS4 so no mods for me, but forcing yourself to be super quiet is the best option otherwise. It's such a goddamn shame the engine is wasted now. The best stealth entry in years, but there is hardly enough good content to satiate your thirst, and no the multiplayer isn't that great to compensate.

So many dangling threads. Even now it itches away at my mind. The possible switchup they could have did at the end seemed fucking obvious. We should have played as Solid Snake the last few missions so that the series could be wrapped up properly. But we didn't even get a conclusion to the fucking Metal Gear in this entry. 51 was cut with good reason I might add. Kojima is so obscenely pretentious that he probably wasted the entire budget on the credits for each mission. He should have plastered his fucking name on Quiet's ass just so we could figure out he developed the franchise. He was so jealous of Hayter that he canned his ass, instead choosing that one guy that was in Lost Boy's....relatively obscure actor nobody likes. His name escapes me but I know it rhymes with Reefer Motherland.

Long story short - the story sucks almost as bad as Peacewalker. The gameplay is divine. The level design is mediocre, with no interior levels. Ya know they could have had Big Boss take over the Mother Base island (Ground Zeroes), not blown it up, and told a decent origin, but Kojima was so obsessed with pulling the rug out that he prematurely ejaculated and forgot the finish the game. Or he spent it all on hookers and muscle relaxers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    kojima you beautiful bastard.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Oh mate, i completely forgot that modding exists for this game as i played it first on PS4 and never bothered with PC version. Damn with proper mods this could be game of the forever for tactical action games.

edit:

downloading mgs5 from steam now. Don't like the story but the image of normal goal centered missions with proper rules like no access to supply drops, very hard limit on ammo, way better AI which can actually see things and a lot of new missions is enough for me.

edit 2:

You can buy if for like 5$ now from key shop sites.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)