Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Perkel

Arcane
There is a 360 released for Peace Walker too, also really good. 60 fps.

Yeah but Xenia(360 emu) isn't really running well games atm on pc. It just barely got working last year.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah but Xenia(360 emu) isn't really running well games atm on pc. It just barely got working last year.

Ah okay, I meant the real deal though, hardware. Bought a cheap 360 to be able to play the old games remastered. But now I wish I bought a Ps3 instead, the collection on that system seems to include more games.

And of course Metal Gear 4 but separated.

Perkel

Arcane
Didn't sprintel cell got killed even before MGS5 ? Last time i checked they kind made hitman like sequel and that got trashed and since then no one is working on anything related to that game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last game was Blacklist (I thought it was really good). But they put Sam in Ghost Recon Wildlands with his own mission pretty recently, maybe hinting that another game is being made. They even got Ironside back doing the voice over.

Perkel

Arcane
Damn i spent more time playing MGS5 with infinite heaven and i can't believe just how much fun i have.
Those tweaks to difficulty make all the difference.

Last time i remember having so much fun like this was playing Jagged Alliance 2 because with those tweaks it really fucking resembles a lot JA2 on some level. Thanks to those changes stealth is superior way of doing thing if you have the skill but one slip up and you are in deep shit AT THE SAME TIME it moves violent action from meh dudebro shooter into stratosphere of pure tactical gaming bliss.

I though that i will have much more fun doing stealth with those tweaks (and i do) but surprisingly i found successor to commandos/hidden and dangerous/jagged aliance.

The main problem behind MGS5 violent option was that snake was essentially immortal. Sure you could kill him but enemies could see him much and then they would have to pack him to brim with bullets and kill him because if he would go away he would magically heal in no time. Game gives you bilions of tools to work your way out but it doesn't matter when you can't effectively die. So you run and gun ignoring everything.

No so much with those tweaks.

Thanks to those tweaks any kind of combat with more than 2-3 enemies is essentially death (2-3 bullets an ded) and since they can spot your from much further away they can also shot at your from much further away, which includes heavy weaponry. So no longer rambo is option.

Which forces you to use all those tools you have at disposal.
Now sneaking into base to switch off generators and coms is legit way of doing things because stuff like air support now matters a lot.
Bombardment is god send when you are alone and tanks are riding around you.

You work as tactician designing your attack from A to B to C, thinking constantly about outcomes, best way to approach things. Using different tactics for different situations.

Because suddenly taking on whole base is not the smartest idea you start to think about alternatives ways to accomplish your mission.
How about using bombardment on one side of the base and essentially provoking most of enemies out of their barracks and then quickly strike in strike out to target building. dropping smoke granades meanwhile to cover your exit while you run away with prisoner ? Also spread some mines on path outside of base so your pursuers will get into nasty surprise.

I shit you not. Anyone loving that kind of tactical stuff should get MGS5 and infinite heaven mod and do those kind of tweaks.

Also i can't wait for community tools to get better. From what i understand is that people work right now on ability to freely place any stuff you want and edit patrol routes which will be awesome.

edit: What i would wish from modders would be to have ability to change AI patterns. I would love to fucking see enemies chasing you down like dog if they have sight on you. With increased line of sight they do follow you more but it is still not enough imo.

Solid Snail

Learned

An option would be using PSNow and play the PS3 version from that. I have a shitty 8 MBit connection and I'm playing Ninja Gaiden 3 just fine, the streaming is really good, and you can use the PC app.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

An option would be using PSNow and play the PS3 version from that. I have a shitty 8 MBit connection and I'm playing Ninja Gaiden 3 just fine, the streaming is really good, and you can use the PC app.

Yeah, I want to do that, but that service isn't out in Sweden yet. Wanna try Metal Gear 4 that way.

Solid Snail

Learned

Yeah, I want to do that, but that service isn't out in Sweden yet. Wanna try Metal Gear 4 that way.
Maybe it will be available soon, Sony made it available yesterday in Italy. I was surprised actually on how good the streaming is, the image quality is really close to a native one and I don't know how they do that considering my shitty connection. There's a minimum amount of input lag, but ehy, if I can play Ninja Gaiden 3 with that I think there's really no problem for other titles. All MGS but 1 are also available in the service, but I doubt you'll manage to play all of them in the 1 week free trial. Peace Walker alone took me like 4 months to 100% with all trophies back in day, it's a long title with many missions and if you want to do everything is the longest Metal Gear for sure.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Sweet, sounds like something worth trying then when it gets released. Might finally get to play the actually ending chapter ;)

Edit:

Haha, just checked for the heck of it, and it's out now!

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel Does it fucks up the current save if you download and modify? Is it a pain to do?

Backup your save mate. And yes it will fuck with your save if you use that mod.
So backup mate and then do whatever you want.

You install it via snakebite mod manager from nexus it is easy to install.
Infinite heaven comes with default settings so you will have to go through each menu and tweak to your liking.
I propose for starters to reduce player life to 10-20% hp.

That alone is gamechanger.
Also unlock avatar from start.
Snake is kind of overpowered stat wise.

Perkel

Arcane
mistakes were made....

unknown.png

mission 13

Set up C4 near oil tanks and i was trying to get through upper platforms to get to those freaking doors.
Some guy just walked out of building and saw me right throgh joywalking. Then he back up to building and allarmed everyone.

Fucked.

Switched off turbines and called air support for other part of base and airstrike to position of guys who were blocking exit route. Once airstrike was coming threw 3 smoke grenades and run forest run. Got hit like 2 times and barely made out out of base.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:
I picked this and Ground zeroes up cheap, is Ground zeroes just one story mission where he gets blown up and the rest all just mucking about?
Who the fuck releases that as a game of its own.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Konami and Kojimbo.
The best thing about it is that Ground Zeroes is supposed to be a sort of demo for Phantom Pain.
Also Ground Zeroes has better missions and level design than Phantom Pain.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far the only mods I picked up are visual stuff and the one that lets me unequip my primary. I don't think I'll need other stuff, Crom knows I cannot into stealth, much.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Eh... while it is indeed more challenging, as you won't find silenced weapons or sleeping shit. But the game unfortunately doesn't seem to have really developed with that in mind as resources are hard to come by and some missions really require good equipment. I think the culprit of this is the economy system were you can just buy shit with your company's money.

EDIT: Nevermind what I just said. I just realized you're playing Ground Zeroes. Yeah, in GZ the map is really well designed (unfortunately there's almost no interior spaces) and you can't buy stuff so OSP is cool way to play the game. Also the mod I recommended you in the post above only works in TPP, so forget that.

Also if that's the way you want to go, then get rid of the tranquilizer pistol. Like in all MGS it's the most OP weapon of the game, and overall not very fun.

Perkel

Arcane
?? Even in vanilla you can finish every mission without causing alarm. So OSP just makes it harder not impossible.
Personally i think you should get MGS5 as it now costs like nothing and it is good romp with Infinite Heaven mod.
Vanilla is too easy.

Install Infinite Heaven mod, reduce player health to just 20% and that alone will automatically mean you will have to really really think about causing alarms. There is also build in OSP mode too which you can enable and it also gives extra loot from enemies and places some extra items. It is complete package that you can modify as you want.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Nevermind what I just said. I just realized you're playing Ground Zeroes. Yeah, in GZ the map is really well designed (unfortunately there's almost no interior spaces) and you can't buy stuff so OSP is cool way to play the game. Also the mod I recommended you in the post above only works in TPP, so forget that.
Nah, I switched to TPP.
Also if that's the way you want to go, then get rid of the tranquilizer pistol
No tranq, no guns, no grenades nothing. If I could figure out how to drop weapons I accidentally pick up, that would be all I need right now.
Even in vanilla you can finish every mission without causing alarm.
It'll take a while for me to get into that mindset where I actually use stealth efficiently.
Until then I am fine with what I have.

Perkel

Arcane
doesn't take anything
Vanilla line of sight is a joke. You can literally prone 10m away from dudes and they won't see you.
Which is why so many people recommend for you to get mods to get better difficulty.
As i said before. MGS5 right now costs like nothing, get it if you like GZ and then install Infinite Heaven mod from start.

Main problem with MGS5 is that, there is a lot of bullshit that is detrimental to game like stupid cutscenes, in between mission helicopter etc while vanilla gameplay feels amazing at start but you very very very fast realize that 10000000 ways you are given to finish objectives doesn't matter because you can just run and gun everything or sneak past blind people.

Lack of difficulty takes games from solid 9 to 6. Could be even 10 if not for Kojima writting and weebo shit.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Damn i spent more time playing MGS5 with infinite heaven and i can't believe just how much fun i have.
Those tweaks to difficulty make all the difference.

Last time i remember having so much fun like this was playing Jagged Alliance 2 because with those tweaks it really fucking resembles a lot JA2 on some level. Thanks to those changes stealth is superior way of doing thing if you have the skill but one slip up and you are in deep shit AT THE SAME TIME it moves violent action from meh dudebro shooter into stratosphere of pure tactical gaming bliss.

I though that i will have much more fun doing stealth with those tweaks (and i do) but surprisingly i found successor to commandos/hidden and dangerous/jagged aliance.

The main problem behind MGS5 violent option was that snake was essentially immortal. Sure you could kill him but enemies could see him much and then they would have to pack him to brim with bullets and kill him because if he would go away he would magically heal in no time. Game gives you bilions of tools to work your way out but it doesn't matter when you can't effectively die. So you run and gun ignoring everything.

No so much with those tweaks.

Thanks to those tweaks any kind of combat with more than 2-3 enemies is essentially death (2-3 bullets an ded) and since they can spot your from much further away they can also shot at your from much further away, which includes heavy weaponry. So no longer rambo is option.

Which forces you to use all those tools you have at disposal.
Now sneaking into base to switch off generators and coms is legit way of doing things because stuff like air support now matters a lot.
Bombardment is god send when you are alone and tanks are riding around you.

You work as tactician designing your attack from A to B to C, thinking constantly about outcomes, best way to approach things. Using different tactics for different situations.

Because suddenly taking on whole base is not the smartest idea you start to think about alternatives ways to accomplish your mission.
How about using bombardment on one side of the base and essentially provoking most of enemies out of their barracks and then quickly strike in strike out to target building. dropping smoke granades meanwhile to cover your exit while you run away with prisoner ? Also spread some mines on path outside of base so your pursuers will get into nasty surprise.

I shit you not. Anyone loving that kind of tactical stuff should get MGS5 and infinite heaven mod and do those kind of tweaks.

Also i can't wait for community tools to get better. From what i understand is that people work right now on ability to freely place any stuff you want and edit patrol routes which will be awesome.

edit: What i would wish from modders would be to have ability to change AI patterns. I would love to fucking see enemies chasing you down like dog if they have sight on you. With increased line of sight they do follow you more but it is still not enough imo.

this sounds interesting. So infinite heaven and what tweaks exactly? is that Morbid's side ops expansion pack mod worth grabbing as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom