Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Still playing this. It's actually much more hardcore than at first impression. I installed the Infinite Heaven mod and removed a few major annoyances that released the game from chronic popamole consoletardism (the run & gun cheese was the first thing I rectified by reducing player health to 20% but didn't alter AI viewing distances since I'm discovering that with just default settings in vanilla certain AI can have eyes like a fucking hawk and ears like a dolphin, spotting you clear across the compound at night through windows which causes them to come creepin' around. Decided not to mess with that. Some other observances:

Pros:

- cock-blocks your attempts to save scum
    - AI is actually quite good and almost always believable in its behavior
    - very few bugs in latest 1.15
    - stealth mechanics are among the best I have ever seen in a game, even in vanilla at default
    - enormous variety in weapons/tools though you have to work/wait for them and they're not just given to you
    - lots of depth

Cons:

- much harder than expected if you're playing a no-kill-whenever-possible game (I've averaged 5-10 retries on even the side missions in early game)
    - so so story (so far)
    - rather confusing Mother Base micromanagement (but I'm getting the hang of it)
    - very large, very lonely, and very empty world, though the IH mod can partly fix that I understand

But the important thing is that it has that genuinely addictive quality about it and is rewarding, at least in the first parts. And very funny peculiarly japanese quirks like the Chicken Hat (which felt liked a cursed item since I couldn't figure out how to remove it when I accidentally equipped it... it mocked me with its glowing LED orange crest saying, "Go back to consoles, and let the BIG BOYS show you how its done!"... but hey, behave like a dunce and that's what you get - a dunce cap). I might feel differently about the game when I hit Africa but so far it doesn't insult my intelligence, with a little help from Infinite Heaven, of course. May the Gods bless that little big mod.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Africa in the rain is beautiful.
    Rivals kurwa 3 in looks.
    But Afghanistan sometimes makes me want to horse ride while Ennio Morricone is playing in the background.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    Most people enjoy the game until they hit Africa. Shitty map with shitty missions (The first one, Pitch Dark, is probably the best, and it's all downhill from there). Anyways you can always get enjoyment from replaying older missions in different ways.

^ Top  
  4. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    There's also that 50 mission pack add-on for IH for post-main game content but I don't know how good it is. Since it seems to be the only mission/quest mod pack for MGSTPP, that probably doesn't bode well. I mean, it has missions where you have to chase down sheep and gerbils and shit that escaped from the animal stockade across the water from your complex and swam to your Mother Base. What. The. Fuck.

^ Top  
  5. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    It isn't great, plus the balance is awful, the modder just cramped as many enemies as possible, makes sneaking a chore.

^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    I like slapping Liquid around though.

^ Top  
  7. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Yo. Do you know what the setting in IH that allows you to drop weapons/items is and also the one that skips the Helicopter prologues at the beginning of missions showing the credits? It feels like a spoiler when you're seeing names of bosses you'll be facing not to mention that they can eventually become annoying.

^ Top  
  8. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    Yours or the enemies'?
    for the second: Soldier Parameters Menu > Soldier Item Drop Chance
    for the first: In-Mission Menu > Drop Current Equip (you need to hold a button I don't remember for a couple of seconds to perform the action)
    Support Heli Menu > Start Missions on foot (you also have another setting for free roam)
    Debug Menu > Disable mission intro credits

If you're interested into more settings, look for this https://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/articles/5 (your IH folder should have a HTML file detailing the same stuff)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    All this talk of Death Stranding made me think about TPP.

I haven't finished the game the first time around and I'm thinking about replaying it. Are there any mods that succefully fix the utterly fucked gameplay loop of tranq gun entire base -> fullton entire base and bring some semblance of balance to the entire thing?

^ Top  
  10. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Sorry, but I never understand posts like this. If the tranquilizer gun is so overpowered (which it is) or the fulton balloons are too convenient then just don't include them in your loadout on deployment of missions. The gameplay isn't centered around their their use or require them in any way. But if you need mods to "fix" issues like this and just can't bear the thought that they're available (and totally optional), use Infinite Heaven. MGSTPP is as easy or as reasonably difficult (as opposed to artificially) as your choose to make it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    Despite being open world, the game rail roads you pretty hard into that certain gameplay loop. You need to knock out (via guns or CQC) guys and extract them, so you can build up mother base. I'm asking for something that fixes this core issue. Yes, I can act like I don't have all the tranq guns in the world. Yes, I can act like supressors are a supremely rare resource. Yes, I can act like I don't need to play Pokemon. Yes, I can act like playing a polished Peace Walker is fun. I don't want to act like that though. I want a game that provides a balanced experience that doesn't force me to play this one and only incredibly obvious and unbelievably tedious optimal way, unless I want to gimp myself. Simply turning off certain guns (which I assume you mean by using Infinite Heaven) doesn't fix anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    There are mods that make every extracted/volunteer soldier to have better rank. Also with Infinite Heaven you can accelerate resource gathering. That will help to tone down the grinding and play missions with more freedom of style. Check out too mods to eliminate development timers.

btw, modders are now figuring out how to make main missions:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    I mean, this just sounds like basically turning on cheats, but it might actually be enough to give TPP a decent flow and more actual freedom. Is there a tried and tested setting in Infinite Heaven for this, or do I need to fuck around with sliders myself?

^ Top  
  14. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Exactly. Emulation, not simulation. Of course, the latter can also exist for training purposes and entertainment for aspies, but wannabe-realistic games should strive for the former.

^ Top  
  15. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Unfortunately, the IH mod is a bit messy with its interface because of its sheer number of options. Put some time into it and you will eventually find the perfect configuration for you. Tip: make sure you use Borderless Window so you can much more easily scroll through and tick the options after enabling its Quick Menu feature. But I think everyone agrees here that for the average codexer, modded MGSTPP is a must for proper enjoyment of the otherwise slick, brilliantly developed core mechanics and triple A treatment of the game. Others can just use the chicken hat... or might just as well using unmodded, default settings.

^ Top  
  16. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    Game is designed to be a slow grind to make you pay for virtual currency. The mods mentioned and IH have a lot of options so you can customize how fast or slow you're progressing.

^ Top  
  17. ultimanecat Erudite

ultimanecat
    For the most part, the insanely expensive weapons and equipment aren’t even particularly useful for the base single-player content anyway. Obviously they’re better and some give you a few silly options but there’s nothing in the game that calls for using them. You can easily blow through the game just by playing a mix of missions and side-ops normally and developing a few things in each category that look interesting to you.

^ Top  
  18. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    But.........why?

• decline decline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Fuck, never have to go back up back down again, finally. It's probably the most fun mission first time around though.

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Who the fuck came up with the Reflex mode though? It's more broken than a china shop after a stampede.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Turn it off as fast as you can. It's such a stupid shit.

^ Top  
  23. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    hehehe

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Dude I finished the S ranking without it. I have turned it on now to finish if the remaining objectives and crap with all the tools at my disposal.

^ Top  
  25. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Fuck man, a map making tool for MGS V would be the best damn thing for this game.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)