Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Psquit

Arcane
Well Ground Zeroes will be prologue to Phantom Pain. Makes sense with Outer Heaven getting destroyed in Ground Zeroes. Im curious tough does Phantom Pain take place around MGS 4?
http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/story.html?sid=6406157

Hmm... there was a period of time when big boss was in a coma then paramedic took some of his genes to make clones... then big boss wakes up and told mayor 0 to gtfo then they start to be enemies...

soo all this shit takes place before metal gear 1 from the nes.

GreyViper

Prophet
Hmm... there was a period of time when big boss was in a coma then paramedic took some of his genes to make clones... then big boss wakes up and told mayor 0 to gtfo then they start to be enemies...

soo all this shit takes place before metal gear 1 from the nes.
That would make the most sense. I will look fowrd to see how the story will unfold.

Indranys

Savant
First of all I only played MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3.
I don't have PS3 so I can't play MGS4.

My question is why do a lot of old fans hate it?
I mean my friend is an MGS fanatic and bought PS3 just to play MGS4, and he hates the game so much that he doesn't want to talk about it.
Are the cutscenes really that bad or too long compared to previous games?
Does the story become too clusterfuck/asinine/incomprehensible (just like MGS2, but I think MGS2 was cool and I don't hate Raiden)?
Should I rob my friend's PS3 and MGS4 just to play the game to satiate my curiosity?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

I mean my friend is an MGS fanatic and bought PS3 just to play MGS4, and he hates the game so much that he doesn't want to talk about it.
Does the story become too clusterfuck/asinine/incomprehensible (just like MGS2, but I think MGS2 was cool and I don't hate Raiden)?
Should I rob my friend's PS3 and MGS4 just to play the game to satiate my curiosity?
Most of the game is broken up with cutscenes of the merry band of Otacon, Snake, and their legal union lolicon sitting in a hangar bay talking about stuff that average out at around twenty to thirty minutes, it makes alot of...questionable decisions regarding character relationships (Meryl being shipped with fucking Johnny), and story (the game basically retcons most of MGS2, introduces a bunch of plot twists that were fucking stupid even for MGS, and all in all is just fucking confusing). Kojima also felt it was necessary to make every fucking fight scene with Vamp and Raiden as uncomfortably homo-erotic as he could feasibly get away with.

Whole game was pretty gay, now that I think about it.

And yeah, the cutscenes are just fucking unbearably long. The whole ending segment is easily around an hour long.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
The funny part its true! that game teach me how to cook eggs without burn them...
13375390754781_zpscc660406.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Most of the game is broken up with cutscenes of the merry band of Otacon, Snake, and their legal union lolicon sitting in a hangar bay talking about stuff that average out at around twenty to thirty minutes, it makes alot of...questionable decisions regarding character relationships (Meryl being shipped with fucking Johnny), and story (the game basically retcons most of MGS2, introduces a bunch of plot twists that were fucking stupid even for MGS, and all in all is just fucking confusing). Kojima also felt it was necessary to make every fucking fight scene with Vamp and Raiden as uncomfortably homo-erotic as he could feasibly get away with.

And yeah, the cutscenes are just fucking unbearably long. The whole ending segment is easily around an hour long.
I don't agree with most the above. (how does it retcon MGS2? It tries to explain it.) The story is on the level of MGS2, if you liked that one, you won't have a problem with PS4. I think the reason why people hate the games is a) it has looooong cutscenes b) there are some plot decisions that is not needed/fanservice/stupid (yeah, that Johnny-Maryl stuff is retarded).

Saying that it is homoerotic/gay is simply a lie.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It features two extended fight scenes between a bishounen ninja who leaks white fluid every time he is struck and a bisexual vampire man with a bare hairy chest who has a fondness for licking knives and elaborate dancing. Each of these fights feature segments where they grapple and straddle one another from behind, and even has short part where the the former is bound and struck multiple times by the latter with strong sado-masochistic undertones, even a brief shot of Vamp even licking Raiden's white fluids off his knife.

Beyond that, there's the interactions between Otacon, Snake, and Sunny which had the undertones of a nuclear family, various gameplay mechanics which involve and reward Snake grabbing men's crotches (and even penalizing you for trying to do the same to women), the implied lesbian relationship between two members of the FROGS during the aftermath at the finale, and Ocelot kissing Snake during their fight at the if you fail to break out of a grapple.

Whether or not it's intentional can be debated, but to argue that it's not there entirely is absurd.

My statement about it retconning parts of MGS2, while admittedly being exaggerated, is still true. The post credits sequence and the whole song and dance around Liquid's arm, for instance, was blatant retconning. Whether or not the retcons were good are, once again, debatable. I for one think the latter one was fucking stupid.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't agree with most the above. (how does it retcon MGS2? It tries to explain it.) The story is on the level of MGS2, if you liked that one, you won't have a problem with PS4. I think the reason why people hate the games is a) it has looooong cutscenes b) there are some plot decisions that is not needed/fanservice/stupid (yeah, that Johnny-Maryl stuff is retarded).

He tries to explain stuff that didn't need to be explained.

Also there is really stupid things like:
Big Boss still being alive

Indranys

Savant

It features two extended fight scenes between a bishounen ninja who leaks white fluid every time he is struck and a bisexual vampire man with a bare hairy chest who has a fondness for licking knives and elaborate dancing. Each of these fights feature segments where they grapple and straddle one another from behind, and even has short part where the the former is bound and struck multiple times by the latter with strong sado-masochistic undertones, even a brief shot of Vamp even licking Raiden's white fluids off his knife.

Beyond that, there's the interactions between Otacon, Snake, and Sunny which had the undertones of a nuclear family, various gameplay mechanics which involve and reward Snake grabbing men's crotches (and even penalizing you for trying to do the same to women), the implied lesbian relationship between two members of the FROGS during the aftermath at the finale, and Ocelot kissing Snake during their fight at the if you fail to break out of a grapple.

Whether or not it's intentional can be debated, but to argue that it's not there entirely is absurd.

My statement about it retconning parts of MGS2, while admittedly being exaggerated, is still true. The post credits sequence and the whole song and dance around Liquid's arm, for instance, was blatant retconning. Whether or not the retcons were good are, once again, debatable. I for one think the latter one was fucking stupid.

Thank you so much. :salute:
Now I'm beginning to understand why a lot of old fans hate the game.
Wow man that's looks so bad compared to MGS1 and 3.
The older titles have cool and brief cutscenes, just a couple of minutes long except prologues and epilogues. They are actually fun to watch because they have a purpose.
Long unnecessary cutscenes for mundane things and fanservices are indeed retarded.
The enemy team also looks bad, they look like zombified and soulless MGS1's Foxhound members.
And those tentacle girls? Really? :eek:
Kojima went garbage like today anime!!?11

And why don't they let Big Boss rest in peace for Fargo's sake? Kojima milks the shit out of the man, unforgivable!
MGS1 and 3 are cool because the recurring characters are just a few, MGS4 looks totally out of place when almost all Snake's acquaintances join the mission.
MG series should always be a lone soldier against elite enemies and impossible mission, not Solid Snake's SpecOps squads vs. tentacle girls army.

MGS1 was nice. Then it got weirder. Why. :(
I completely agree bro.
MGS1 is the best storywise. It blends well with the setting, the atmosphere is also pretty solid from start to finish and never went full lulz.
The serious tone of the story is slipped by a bit of jokes here and there which works great.
The game really describes the feeling of being one man army against impossible mission and foes, just as faithful as MG1 and 2.

MGS3 is good but the story and atmosphere are just inferior compared to MGS.
It is understandable because Big Boss is not Solid Snake, and the circumstances are totally different.
What makes it great is those new features which improve the gameplay a lot.

MGS2 is just messy, Snake looks out of place and feel insignificant, etc etc.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Thank you so much. :salute:
Now I'm beginning to understand why a lot of old fans hate the game.
Wow man that's looks so bad compared to MGS1 and 3.
The older titles have cool and brief cutscenes, just a couple of minutes long except prologues and epilogues. They are actually fun to watch because they have a purpose.
Long unnecessary cutscenes for mundane things and fanservices are indeed retarded.
The enemy team also looks bad, they look like zombified and soulless MGS1's Foxhound members.
And those tentacle girls? Really? :eek:
Kojima went garbage like today anime!!?11

And why don't they let Big Boss rest in peace for Fargo's sake? Kojima milks the shit out of the man, unforgivable!
MGS1 and 3 are cool because the recurring characters are just a few, MGS4 looks totally out of place when almost all Snake's acquaintances join the mission.
MG series should always be a lone soldier against elite enemies and impossible mission, not Solid Snake's SpecOps squads vs. tentacle girls army.

I completely agree bro.
MGS1 is the best storywise. It blends well with the setting, the atmosphere is also pretty solid from start to finish and never went full lulz.
The serious tone of the story is slipped by a bit of jokes here and there which works great.
The game really describes the feeling of being one man army against impossible mission and foes, just as faithful as MG1 and 2.

MGS3 is good but the story and atmosphere are just inferior compared to MGS.
It is understandable because Big Boss is not Solid Snake, and the circumstances are totally different.
What makes it great is those new features which improve the gameplay a lot.

MGS2 is just messy, Snake looks out of place and feel insignificant, etc etc.
Eh, if the others convinced you....miss out on the game, whatever. I think MGS4 is still great gameplay wise. Just because the story doesn't reach the level of 3, it is not bad.

Indranys

Savant
Eh, if the others convinced you....miss out on the game, whatever. I think MGS4 is still great gameplay wise. Just because the story doesn't reach the level of 3, it is not bad.

Yeah I understand.
But for me MGS series are 50% Story and atmosphere + 50% gameplay for me.
I believe the gameplay will be better, or at least as good as ever, but it will only break my heart if the story is disappointing.
I just love the tone in MGS1 when Snake was looked so broken as a man.
Naked in his cell, and accepted the mission half-assedly just for his own freedom (I forget the detail though).
How the Foxhound members describe Snake as death and all the grim stuffs really fit his character.
And if I recall correctly Snake didn't want to save/take care of Meryl for the first time, he only did it after Colonel Campbell personal request just because they're old bros.
That's the impression I got from MGS as long as I can remember.
And just like I said, MGS series for me is about one man army in impossible mission, against all odds, facing entire enemy division and their elite team.
MGS1 perfectly fits the description, and so does MGS3 eventhough it has a few flaws.
For me MGS2 is anime desu desu syndrome where prettyboy, romance, and asinine meta-babble story a la Evangelion reign supreme over a western philosophy mixed with a few anime gimmicks like the prequel.
And based on Codexers descriptions MGS4 is about team Snake complete with his friends vs. team Liquid Ocelot+his tentacle girls.
Too different feeling from MGS1 and 3 which I like IMO.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And just like I said, MGS series for me is about one man army in impossible mission, against all odds, facing entire enemy division and their elite team.
MGS4 does capture this pretty well.

And it is pretty fun.

The main problems are stupid explanations for things that didn't need to be explained and really long cutscenes.

Indranys

Savant
MGS4 does capture this pretty well.

And it is pretty fun.

The main problems are stupid explanations for things that didn't need to be explained and really long cutscenes.

Then I guess I'll have to visit my friend for a quick gaming session and see the game for myself.
Maybe I won't like it, but there's no harm done for a few hours of playing questionable game.
Thanks for your help guys. :salute:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend playing it if only to see how the Patriots saga concludes. That and there are several very emotional scenes in the game that, for a fan of the series, were very beautifully done. I'm one of the people who genuinely enjoyed the final scene in the game with Big Boss, even if it introduces a whole bunch of plot points that really fuck around with the rest of the series.

And if you enjoyed Snake's characterization as a deconstruction of the typical hollywood action hero in MGS1 (i.e. a broken man who's been fucked over by everyone he's ever trusted and can't even form basic human relationships with other people), then you'll probably enjoy him in MGS4, as it's basically a continuation of that with Snake now being physically breaking down on top of it.

Don't forget to mention snake's watermelon sized ass.Even straight people couldn't avoid looking at that.
Yeah, the microwave tunnel sequence was extremely well done for the most part, then almost completely ruined by a long running shot where Snakes (literally) white-hot buns are the focus.

That's not to say the other games in the series didn't have their subtle moments of homo-eroticism (to the point where crotch-grabbing and the main character having to run around without a shirt on has become something of a recurring theme), but MGS4 takes it to a whole new level.

Psquit

Arcane

metal gear solid 1 was wierd already... Ciborg ninja, giant robot, bunch of elites wierdos, gray fox vs The metal gear rex,etc.

But it was less Giant robot making cow noises or a bunch of hot girls in mech suits.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Also don't forget to play Peace Walker. Seriously, that game is amazing, some say it is almost on the level on MGS3, gameplay and storywise. It is available on PS3 in the MGS HD collection.

Tagaziel

Scholar
metal gear solid 1 was wierd already... Ciborg ninja, giant robot, bunch of elites wierdos, gray fox vs The metal gear rex,etc.

But it was less Giant robot making cow noises or a bunch of hot girls in mech suits.

Yeah, MGS1 had weird tech, but it felt versimilar in the context of the Gearverse.

Then you got MGS2 with homoerotic Jesus, fat guy with lollerskates, forcefield lady with railgun, super jumping gear, GIANT AI CONSPIRACY ROBOT WATER FORTRESS GOING 9/11 ON NEW YORK.

MGS3 toned that back, but then Kojima went MGS4 on everything.

I still want to play Peace Walker, though.

EDIT: As Solling Rtones frontman says, the characterization of Snake was great. Kojima originally wanted to kill him and Otacon off entirely.

Psquit

Arcane

Yeah, MGS1 had weird tech, but it felt versimilar in the context of the Gearverse.

Then you got MGS2 with homoerotic Jesus, fat guy with lollerskates, forcefield lady with railgun, super jumping gear, GIANT AI CONSPIRACY ROBOT WATER FORTRESS GOING 9/11 ON NEW YORK.

MGS3 toned that back, but then Kojima went MGS4 on everything.

I still want to play Peace Walker, though.

EDIT: As Solling Rtones frontman says, the characterization of Snake was great. Kojima originally wanted to kill him and Otacon off entirely.

Hahahaha, i just remember that guy. Kinda sad that i will never play peace walker...

Sul

Savant
Seems like Hayter is back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom