Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dunno lah Arcane

dunno lah
    Does advancing the console clock work? I'm guessing not.

^ Top  
  2. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    Playing on PC - didn't try, but I doubt it'd matter since it only ticks down while you're actively playing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. dunno lah Arcane

dunno lah
    So the research timer is independent of the in-game time? E-cigaring won't work too?

^ Top  
  4. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    420 blazing it has no effect on the development and deployment timers, no - neither does moving forward in time from entering missions at a specified time.

Pretty much just have to actively play the game, or let it sit on the ACC / motherbase for 2 hours lol

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    Don't listen to this mongoloid casualfag.

The original is straight up better. Twin Snakes looks nicer, sure, but the levels were NOT designed for that engine. First Person Aiming allowing you to 360noscope all the guards instantly is the most egregious example, but even the camera layout is different from the original. Silicon Knights really didn't give a fuck (they admitted it) and just threw MGS1 into the MGS2 engine and called it a day. The voice acting is also arguably worse. Either way, by the time MGS4 came around, Kojima disowned the game since he's opted to use the original for all of the flashbacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  6. dunno lah Arcane

dunno lah
    Well, at least it beats PW's "do a mission for the research to progress"...

On your reply to Trotsky, are you sure the flashback dialogues are from MGS1? I'm pretty sure Naomi and Mei Ling had their American accents in those.

^ Top  
  7. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    Well, Mei Ling has the same voice actress in all three games, and you can clearly see that MGS1 was what the game was drawing from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkshQ_XxX9g

One can also argue that playing Twin Snakes lessens the effects of these scenes, though the things I listed above are more important imo

Edit: Just found out that they used the twin snakes audio in MGS4 because the MGS1 audio was recorded in a basement and was too low quality in comparison to the HD audio of the game. Still, doesn't really change the fact that the playing Twin Snakes over MGS1 is actually worse in a lot of ways.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. dunno lah Arcane

dunno lah
    Never played Twin Snakes. Only saw videos. I'm too attached to the original voices, briefing, music and cutscenes.

^ Top  
  9. Trotsky Arcane

Trotsky
    Ummm no MGS Twin Snakes was vastly better than the original hence why Kojima made it. The reason he can't reuse anything major is because Nintendo owns the rights.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    ^ Top  
  10. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Trotsky just fultoned himself into dumbfuck territory. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Caim Arcane

Caim
    I was playing a "Eliminate Armor" mission right now. I needed to take down two tanks, but the last time I attacked them directly my ass got nearly blasted to death by their guns. So I cleared the guards, snuck up on one to plant some C4 on it, and I discovered that I had reached the level at which I could Fulton tanks.

That shit's OP and hilarious as all hell.

^ Top  
  12. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I was playing the mission where you had to find armor deployment plans and then later destroy a few tanks.

All fine and stealthy placed some C4 along the route.

Waited till the tanks arrived, and literally 20 meters in front of my C4 the road split, which i didn't notice. Of course the tanks took the other lane.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Trotsky Arcane

Trotsky
    MGS2 gameplay and graphics combined with MGS1 story and setting was the perfect package especially in 2004.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    ^ Top  
  14. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    The Twin Snakes > Original

Nuff said.

^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No!

^ Top  
  16. Nryn Arbiter Patron

Nryn
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Twin Snakes' music does not compare well against that of the original. Irrespective of other changes, the downgrade in the music alone makes Twin Snakes the far lesser experience for me.

and

add to the tension far more than their (entirely changed) Twin Snakes counterparts, for instance.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    True.

Soundtracks and the matrix syndrome of the cinematics are worse than the original. But I prefer the rest on TTW.

Also, this is the best cinematic in the whole series :smug::

^ Top  
  18. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Goddamn now I really want to replay MGS 1 & 2 and finally play 3.

I only have a PS4 and Xbox One next to my PC, so I guess emulating is my best bet?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. CptMace Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    There are PC versions of 1 and 2. MGS3 needs a gamepad with pressure sensitive buttons and an emulator to support it, it's a bitch to set up.

^ Top  
  20. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    I also have a PSTV, I think I can play the first one on that, but the HD collection of the VITA is not supported.

^ Top  
  21. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I'm going to link MGSV into a weaboo combo of Dragon Quest Heroes to SF5 to DQ11, at which point my consolefaggotry will have come full circle barring a decent Phantasy Star or Castlevania revival. Torment 2 will wrap up the PC side and I will ascend from this plane while heathens remain, trapped in Ubishit/Indieshit hell on earth repeating the same cycle of golden age of PC wannabes and theme park open worlding.

^ Top  
  23. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    Again, the gameplay of Twin Snakes is actually worse. First Person Aiming and Hanging Mode are entirely broken because the level design did not account for those. Things like lockers from MGS2 were thrown in that were not originally accounted for. You also begin the game with your entire life bar, which was another thing not intended design-wise. All of this makes the game far, far easier than it was supposed to be (and the game wasn't particularly hard to begin with). Adding onto this, the camera angles were altered to accommodate the new engine, and have actually cheapened the aesthetic effect and tension of some rooms.

The difficulty adjustments matter because of what I mentioned in that last sentence: tension. When you can pop into a room and 360noscope every guard with your pistol because the level design didn't account for it, you have a problem. It's why a game like REmake is actually better than Resident Evil 1 (too bad Konami didn't follow Capcom in that one specific instance)

They didn't use PS1 footage "because of nintendo" lmao. They used footage from the PS1 game because that was the game Kojima actually made (he had almost nothing to do with Twin Herps) and the game he was proud of.

So how about some arguments from the Twin Snakes Fags beyond "b-b-but the old one is sooo old!!" on the codex of all places, lmao

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Played MGS1 recently on an emulator (psx). Loved it. :thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)