Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Trotsky

Arcane
Again, the gameplay of Twin Snakes is actually worse. First Person Aiming and Hanging Mode are entirely broken because the level design did not account for those. Things like lockers from MGS2 were thrown in that were not originally accounted for. You also begin the game with your entire life bar, which was another thing not intended design-wise. All of this makes the game far, far easier than it was supposed to be (and the game wasn't particularly hard to begin with). Adding onto this, the camera angles were altered to accommodate the new engine, and have actually cheapened the aesthetic effect and tension of some rooms.

The difficulty adjustments matter because of what I mentioned in that last sentence: tension. When you can pop into a room and 360noscope every guard with your pistol because the level design didn't account for it, you have a problem. It's why a game like REmake is actually better than Resident Evil 1 (too bad Konami didn't follow Capcom in that one specific instance)

They didn't use PS1 footage "because of nintendo" lmao. They used footage from the PS1 game because that was the game Kojima actually made (he had almost nothing to do with Twin Herps) and the game he was proud of.

So how about some arguments from the Twin Snakes Fags beyond "b-b-but the old one is sooo old!!" on the codex of all places, lmao

You can always raise the difficulty but Twin Snakes only seems easier because it followed the exact play style as MGS2 which everyone was familiar with.

Bad design is a far better description for the vanilla MGS3 which despite its achievements literally needed to be redesigned to include a free camera view.

Nintendo owns the rights to Twin Snakes which was a mistake in retrospect. Kojima claimed every MGS was going to be his last so he didn't think far ahead.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
About the score system, according to the official game guide this is how it works.

Clasification:

- Time: Variable amount of points.
- Alerts: -5000 points each one
- Hits received: -100 points each one
- Tactical throw: +1000 points each one
- Accuracy: Exponential
- Headshots: +1000 points each one
- Neutralizations: +200 points each one
- Marking enemies: +30 points each one
- Succesfull interrogation: +150 points each one
- Prisioners rescued: +5000 points each one

Bonifications:

- Mission bonification: Depending each mission.
- Without retry: +5000
- No enemy kills: +5000
- No reflex mode: +10.000
- No alerts: 5000
- Perfect stealth without enemy kills: 20.000
- Without leaving trace: +100.000

Ranks:

- S: 130.000+
- A: 100.000+
- B: 60.000+ points
- C: 30.000+ points
- D: 10.000+ points
- E: under 10.000 points

Overall I think this is a good scoring system. On the other hand we have the classic Animal ranks that we receive depeing of our playstyle.

ultimanecat

Arcane
How do you not leave a trace? I'm assuming that means no tranqs, no KOs?

If that's the case, then it seems like ghosting is a guaranteed S-Rank (as well it should be).

gromit

Arcane
No alerts: 5000
I got 14,333 points for this last night, in "Where Do The Bees Sleep?" That's ~40% my subtotal from the other column, but not what 40% would round to.

edit: I had 11 headshots, 36 neutralizations, maybe it's accounting for those somewhere? A little boost from doing noticeable things without getting noticed?

Ebonsword

Arcane
After getting my ass kicked by mission 29, like, six times, I think I'm going to take a break from MGS5 for a bit. I signed up to gleefully CQB Russian soldiers in Afghanistan, not run from a horde of genetically engineered monsters out of a Resident Evil game.

Anyway, since I had the MSG HD collection sitting on the shelf, I thought I'd pop that in for a bit.

Fucking hell, MGS1 is close to unplayable. I can't believe people are defending it. The controls are extremely clunky and the tight overhead perspective makes it hard to get any kind of feel for what's around you. First person viewing doesn't help much because the grainy PS1 graphics make it hard to tell what you're even looking at half the time.

The MGS2 HD remake at least looks infinitely better. But the controls are still shit compared to MGS5. And I still can't find much enthusiasm to play it. There's nothing driving you forward like in MGS5 where you're constantly trying to improve your base so you can develop cooler gadgets.

I dunno, I guess maybe I'm not really a fan of stealth games in the first place. Which is probably why I like MGS5 so much better than the earlier ones.

Caim

Arcane
The scoring system is extremely messedup. I did a mission where I restarted to a checkpoint, accidentally died, got several alerts, got into slow-mo mode several times... and still got an S because I completed the bonus objectives and Fulton'd EVERY FUCKING THING.

Shit's whack yo.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
After getting my ass kicked by mission 29, like, six times, I think I'm going to take a break from MGS5 for a bit. I signed up to gleefully CQB Russian soldiers in Afghanistan, not run from a horde of genetically engineered monsters out of a Resident Evil game.

Anyway, since I had the MSG HD collection sitting on the shelf, I thought I'd pop that in for a bit.

Fucking hell, MGS1 is close to unplayable. I can't believe people are defending it. The controls are extremely clunky and the tight overhead perspective makes it hard to get any kind of feel for what's around you. First person viewing doesn't help much because the grainy PS1 graphics make it hard to tell what you're even looking at half the time.

The MGS2 HD remake at least looks infinitely better. But the controls are still shit compared to MGS5. And I still can't find much enthusiasm to play it. There's nothing driving you forward like in MGS5 where you're constantly trying to improve your base so you can develop cooler gadgets.

I dunno, I guess maybe I'm not really a fan of stealth games in the first place. Which is probably why I like MGS5 so much better than the earlier ones.

Stuck on mission 29, which is a fairly easy "get a missile launcher and blow dudes up, or use the gun emplacements" shooting section
Thinks MGS1 is "unplayable"

I'm gonna be that guy and say you are severely in need of gitting gud.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
God, finally started playing the game. Kept you waiting, huh?. :)

Only played the prologue and the beginning of the next chapter. God dammit guys, instead of crying about the story, voicover and shit, you should have noted that the game starts with a fucking face costumization segment. I almost fell off my chair, throw my hands in the air and call it a quit. What the fuck is this, Oblivion? For a moment I thought I have to look that ugly mug, instead of Big Boss for the entire game, fortunately it was just some kind of avatar.

Also, what are those fucking credits before the missions? Starring Venom Snake, Ocelot and Hyper-super russian team? Oh, you basicly spoil which enemies will you encounter. Great job! And, get this, Ocelot wearing Rayben sunglasses, and they write this on the screen? What...The....Fuck???

These things almost threw me out of my usual MGS mood. I'm sure the story and the gameplay will make me enjoy the game, but so far this feels less and less like a proper MGS game and more of like a streamlined-westernized-MGS mix, for dumbfucks who could never get into the earlier games.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Stuck on mission 29, which is a fairly easy "get a missile launcher and blow dudes up, or use the gun emplacements" shooting section
Thinks MGS1 is "unplayable"

I'm gonna be that guy and say you are severely in need of gitting gud.

Maybe so. But it is a rather annoying change in the general gameplay up to that point.

Quatlo

Arcane
Maybe so. But it is a rather annoying change in the general gameplay up to that point.
Just equip heavy armour, some lmg and c4, throw decoys around to lure only 1 or 2, finish the rest with aa guns.
Use higher ground on buildings, you can also cheese it with quiet and water pistol

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
God, finally started playing the game. Kept you waiting, huh?. :)

Only played the prologue and the beginning of the next chapter. God dammit guys, instead of crying about the story, voicover and shit, you should have noted that the game starts with a fucking face costumization segment. I almost fell off my chair, throw my hands in the air and call it a quit. What the fuck is this, Oblivion? For a moment I thought I have to look that ugly mug, instead of Big Boss for the entire game, fortunately it was just some kind of avatar.

Also, what are those fucking credits before the missions? Starring Venom Snake, Ocelot and Hyper-super russian team? Oh, you basicly spoil which enemies will you encounter. Great job! And, get this, Ocelot wearing Rayben sunglasses, and they write this on the screen? What...The....Fuck???

These things almost threw me out of my usual MGS mood. I'm sure the story and the gameplay will make me enjoy the game, but so far this feels less and less like a proper MGS game and more of like a streamlined-westernized-MGS mix, for dumbfucks who could never get into the earlier games.

Just look away from the opening credits of each mission. I know it sounds retarded, but trust me. Knowing when the antagonists appear in a mission (and they appear in only like 10% of the missions) kind of ruins any sense of surprise.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Just equip heavy armour, some lmg and c4, throw decoys around to lure only 1 or 2, finish the rest with aa guns.
Use higher ground on buildings, you can also cheese it with quiet and water pistol

What interaction with the water pistol am I missing? Sounds pretty fun

Luka-boy

Arcane
I think it's Code Talker who mentions in one tape that
the parasites will make the host stop in his tracks if exposed to water, so they can feed.

And indeed, if you spray the Skulls with water they will stop for a few seconds every time. It's pretty easy to stunlock them that way.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just look away from the opening credits of each mission. I know it sounds retarded, but trust me. Knowing when the antagonists appear in a mission (and they appear in only like 10% of the missions) kind of ruins any sense of surprise.

Pretty surprised that people still haven't made mods for removing that shit. Or did they?

Quatlo

Arcane
Pretty much you tap-fire at the guy and you can keep him stunlocked forever, but I never tried it on more than 1 guy at a time.
Its pretty shit that molotovs are so ineffective vs them, keeping them dry should be their weakness

Also apparently 3-4 mags from water pistol can defeat the
Burningu Mannu
too

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
The water pistol is also great for silently disabling electronic equipment like power generators, radios and antennas.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah I will do just that. Someone on reddit summed it up pretty nicely:

I still cant fathom what Kojima was thinking when he added this

"You know what players of a tactical stealth game really like? SPOILERS!"

And then everybody in the boardroom applauded.
Kojima really lost his mind at some places.

Deleted member 7219

I just did a mission where I found some one called Malak.

Not Darth Malak from KOTOR, just Malak.

He got assigned to my combat unit and got fatally wounded while out on a mission, couple of other guys got killed too. I'm a bit annoyed because he seemed like a unique character and he had an upgrade that meant I could put tranq rounds into other guns.

Oh well, I blame the developers for bad design. Auto assign shouldn't put any unique character into the combat unit because of the whole 'they might die' thing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Protip: Look to the upper right corner of the screen.

The key thing to understand about the Pacman stealth of MGS1 is that it's mostly a top-down isometric game in vein of the old MSX games, with your primary options being to either ghost your way through each obstacle course, or to use the suppressor-equipped SOCOM or neckbreak to eliminate all the guards and explore at leisure. There's exactly two things in the game where the old pad controls are a bit problematic: Aiming the Nikita, and avoiding overstepping your chokehold position.

Quatlo

Arcane
I just did a mission where I found some one called Malak.

Not Darth Malak from KOTOR, just Malak.

He got assigned to my combat unit and got fatally wounded while out on a mission, couple of other guys got killed too. I'm a bit annoyed because he seemed like a unique character and he had an upgrade that meant I could put tranq rounds into other guns.

Oh well, I blame the developers for bad design. Auto assign shouldn't put any unique character into the combat unit because of the whole 'they might die' thing.

Just replay the fucking mission and get him again or direct contract him

Trotsky

Arcane

When recommending the series to new players its a smart idea to make sure they have an enjoyable experience and not a "nostalgic" one just to score points with codex gaming hipsters. MGS Twin Snakes despite its flaws is at the very least "good enough" and a worthwhile alternative to an otherwise obsolete game. I wish Konami did another remake because as it stands everything associated with the first game is in limbo. Emulation and the non-existent chance Nintendo will republish an HD version is the only hope for fans.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
FFS the morons complaining about MGS1's controls are the same retards that complain about the real Resident Evils and Silent Hills possessing "tank controls". The movement is entirely fine. Literal 9 year olds played these games in the 90s without the controls being an issue. Is a 9 year old from the 90s smarter than you? Apparently.

Divinity: Original Sin
i've started playing MGS games in 2010, and I had twin snakes running bad on an emulator. Coudn't stand. Had to play windows version, but a glitch made it unplayable after sometime. Pl,ayed the PS1 in the PS3.

The only reason to play twin snakes is if you are a graphix whore, because gameplay is exactly the same between all mgs games.

Cromwell

Arcane
When recommending the series to new players its a smart idea to make sure they have an enjoyable experience and not a "nostalgic" one just to score points with codex gaming hipsters. MGS Twin Snakes despite its flaws is at the very least "good enough" and a worthwhile alternative to an otherwise obsolete game. I wish Konami did another remake because as it stands everything associated with the first game is in limbo. Emulation and the non-existent hope Nintendo will republish an HD version is the only hope for fans.

You sound an awful lot like these game journalists we like to laugh about. Obsolete Game, enjoyable experience, only hipsters could like it because their hipsters? I have to thank you that you made it possible that I finally could say fucking newfags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom