Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro 2033

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Trash said:
Been playing it for quite some bit now and I must say that this is the best fps I've played in the last few years. It's incredibly atmosphere keeps up all through the game and the level design just adds to it. While many of the levels in between the different hubs/stations feel linear they are in reality filled with detours and hidden nooks and crannies for those who look for them. I just played one where I didn't watch out, fell into an otherwise unremarkable hole and then had to figure out how to escape from a gass filled flooded area, seeing with horror how my gasmask filter was running out, finding a nice new weapon and after all that returning on the path and realising all this was just a hidden route. While nearly choking to death before escaping the gas. This game oozes love from the dialogues you pick up on, the little decisions which you can make, the detail which has been put into the depiction of daily life on the stations and even the combat. Nothing like stealthily eliminating troops and hearing their comrades grow terrified and paranoid or going in with guns blazing and hearing them curse, scream and yell at each other and you. The game has its rough parts (animations sometimes feel stiff and AI can act dull) but it's attention to detail and incredible gameworld and story just keep me going.
This game even looks possibly more atmospheric than STALKER: SoC. The grey afternoons on the rusty cars and buildings combined with the dark cold abandoned interiors was cool, but this stuff looks like they are taking it to another level.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The dialogues which you can pick up on are something else. So much is being said in the hub area's that you can't help but miss a lot of it. It just weaves together a really detailed world. Radio operator talking about how after the apocalypse he had contact with a group of survivors on the outside and how they went from bad to worse, soldiers recalling the horrors in the tunnels, father explaining what the world used to look like to a child. Just awesome. And when you have seen the tunnels they let you go outside into Moscow. This game has me hooked.

Raapys

Arcane
Finished it. Okay'ish game, but not really anything special. There's next to no plot, there's way too many monsters which ends up ruining the tension and it's more linear than ruler.

A decent plot, non-linear gameplay and possibly weapon upgrades, new armor, etc. could really bring the game up. As it stands, it doesn't really have a chance against the Stalker games gameplay-wise. Good atmosphere, but so has Stalker, especially in the indoors/underground areas.

Gerrard

Arcane
Raapys said:
new armor
There is ballistic armor/stealth suit. :smug:

There are also two endings.

But can someone tell me what the fuck are those "whispers" (when the screen kinda flashes) you hear at times?

Ermm

Erudite
Shitty optimization and high requirements makes it look like they are under some deal with NVidia to get this one as high as they can.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It looks fine on my ATI card. I'd say it's better than good for what it is. I did think it was a better game when you're up against the humans than the monster shit.

Gerrard said:
But can someone tell me what the fuck are those "whispers" (when the screen kinda flashes) you hear at times?

The dark ones talking to you. Or the ghosts/shadow things.

MapMan

Arcane
Just finished this shit. Pretty good I must say. Could've been a lot better if they made it less linear. The second ending makes absolutely no sense.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Didn't want to revive this thread after TEN FUCKING YEARS, but fuck it. Blame God or something because I just finished Metro 2033 Redux.

There was some initial resistance on my end, but I think it was precisely those strange and seemingly out of place parts that sold me on the game when I got into it. Odd balancing act of approachable modern shooter tempered by inclusion of just-short-of survival elements and story demanding your attention, if only because you're not clear as to what's going on with the trippy scenes, Metro 2033 Redux is definitely a worthwhile package. Possibly even a genre standout in recent memory if I go by my own limited FPS experience. Oppressively somber atmosphere standing against what it means to be human makes for a good story angle. With still strong presentation I have to say gameplay manages to impress by sheer variety put on display when it comes to shyte you can do beyond just shooting at things. Occasional bugs and jank can almost be ignored for 4A Games's first effort if this was what they managed to develop. Some clarity in Metro 2033's storytelling maybe could have been a welcome addition, but being in the dark and confused as Artyom on your first playthrough works as intended. I wonder if you'd get more out of Redux if you played the original first so you notice all the differences. Still a gorgeous looking game, though.

Verdict:

Dd-players-in-a-nutshell-07978a-6811421.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom