Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

The Decline

Arcane
It's a damn shame the first Darkness game was never released on the pc. Same with Condemned 2.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I hate Half Life for establishing this dumb ass trend in plot heavy FPS games. I didn't work then and it doesn't work now.
If someone can't create a normal FPS game it doen't mean that whole concept is shit. Do you really think that if the same devs created doom clone - game would be better? I think not, not with such slow ass character that for sure.

The whole concept is shit when you create a game where you're being bombarded by plot and conversations every two seconds, yet your main character doesn't interact with anything or anyone. It doesn't work in Half Life. It doesn't work here.

Also, your point has nothing to do with anything. They didn't create a Doom clone with no story.

It's a damn shame the first Darkness game was never released on the pc. Same with Condemned 2.

Shit, even the first Prey is a better game for having a voiced protagonist. Tommy isn't all that great, but at least he reacts when he sees his loved ones get fucked up. I did a side quest during which Artyom's wife almost died and dude just stares her down.

What annoys me even more is that he actually has a voice. My mans won't shut up during loadscreens, but for some weird Ukrainian reason he's not allowed to talk everywhere else.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The whole concept is shit when you create a game where you're being bombarded by plot and conversations every two seconds, yet your main character doesn't interact with anything or anyone. It doesn't work in Half Life. It doesn't work here.

Also, your point has nothing to do with anything. They didn't create a Doom clone with no story.
Okay, firstly you misunderstood my point - when I pointed out at Doom clone I meant it as example of FPS with no story, the very type of FPS you love - fast paced, no dialogues, story in text file and not in game. This is an example of fps pre-Half-Life era. Or you imagine FPS without story as ARMA 3? Or what?
Secondly: Half-Life worked perfectly fine and recognized as classic of gaming industry (also sold millions copies), it's you just don't like it and for some reasons you thinks that you taste indicates that "game didn't work".
Half-Life was perfectly fine and story driven fps as concept very solid. It's just Metro:Exodus have shitty plot and not very good game in general.
Btw, if you don't like story driven fps, why the fuck you played Metro: Exodus?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Okay, firstly you misunderstood my point - when I pointed out at Doom clone I meant it as example of FPS with no story, the very type of FPS you love

I never said that's the only type of FPS I love.

Secondly: Half-Life worked perfectly fine and recognized as classic of gaming industry (also sold millions copies), it's you just don't like it and for some reasons you thinks that you taste indicates that "game didn't work".
Half-Life was perfectly fine and story driven fps as concept very solid. It's just Metro:Exodus have shitty plot and not very good game in general.

Ok, I guess it did work. But not because Gordon's silence was a plus. It worked because plot heavy shooters weren't really a thing before Half Life. Having a silent protagonist, with an esablished background and personal history at that, in a game where everybody talks to you and acts like they value your input is fucking stupid.

Btw, if you don't like story driven fps, why the fuck you played Metro: Exodus?

Again, where did I say that?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would the plot be shitty though? You're free from the Metro shelter and you are looking to settle with your wife and live your life in the taiga or somewhere else less irradiated than Moscow and live out your days in peace, as a hunter-gatherer. What could be a better motivation to fight your way out of the ruins of civilisation than that?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would the plot be shitty though? You're free from the Metro shelter and you are looking to settle with your wife and live your life in the taiga or somewhere else less irradiated than Moscow and live out your days in peace, as a hunter-gatherer. What could be a better motivation to fight your way out of the ruins of civilisation than that?

What kills the series for me in the third book/game is that - (spoilers)

- there have been a outside connection all the time. The metro wasn't the last survivors and the radio transmissions was being blocked out by paranoid idiots thinking the war was still ongoing 30 years later. Kinda kills the first two in the series. It even kills a spin-off where a group actually travel outside the metro to find another surviving metro.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I never said that's the only type of FPS I love.

Ok, I guess it did work. But not because Gordon's silence was a plus. It worked because plot heavy shooters weren't really a thing before Half Life. Having a silent protagonist, with an esablished background and personal history at that, in a game where everybody talks to you and acts like they value your input is fucking stupid.

Again, where did I say that?
Well it seems we have just different preferences then, for me silent protagonist is ok. I can have fun with game that have voiced protagonist, but sometimes it's annoying because differences in character. And about Doom and etc, it's seems I just misunderstood you, don't mind that.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
You know, taiga fucking dangerous place even without weaponry of mass destruction dropped on nearby cities. Considering how mutation works in world of Metro series, thinking of living alone in taiga equal thinking about suicide.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Considering how mutation works in world of Metro series
That's the main issue, it's equally unrealistic as in the Fallouts. I was thinking if they go somewhere far away from the actually bombed places, where the pollution and radiation are not that high, it would be possible to live more or less normally. Also, define "nearby cities" :D

AwesomeButton

Patron

- there have been a outside connection all the time. The metro wasn't the last survivors and the radio transmissions was being blocked out by paranoid idiots thinking the war was still ongoing 30 years later. Kinda kills the first two in the series. It even kills a spin-off where a group actually travel outside the metro to find another surviving metro.
Can't read, just reading the first book now :)

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That's the main issue, it's equally unrealistic as in the Fallouts. I was thinking if they go somewhere far away from the actually bombed places, where the pollution and radiation are not that high, it would be possible to live more or less normally. Also, define "nearby cities" :D
Wait, did you actually played game or at least watched videos about game? There locations in new game where radiation isn't high and main character can breath, but still filled with mutants. It's not ghouls from fallout, they have no need in radiation for living, mutants in Metro universe can also breed and migrate. Also, what do you mean "define nearby cities"? Should I list every city in biome taiga, which was in NATO's "bomb shit out of it list"? If you think that nobody will send rockets in Syberia - you incorrect. People who live in such cities have equal or even less chances to save their asses than in heavy populated regions, because no shelters and climate and nature kills slowly, but effective.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Can't read, just reading the first book now :)
I heard that the books are pretty bad,something like the doom books from way back in time :). Just moving and shooting.

Gerrard

Arcane
I watched the first 3 minutes of the Digital Shills video and almost threw up. Worse than I expected.

Warning, contains extreme levels of homosexuality.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I heard that the books are pretty bad,something like the doom books from way back in time :). Just moving and shooting.
There is very little shooting up to the middle of the first book at least. It was kind of slow initially, and I had doubts, but it gets more interesting around the first 1/3 of the first book. And when you consider the guy wrote that when he was 25, it's actually impressive.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wait, did you actually played game or at least watched videos about game? There locations in new game where radiation isn't high and main character can breath, but still filled with mutants. It's not ghouls from fallout, they have no need in radiation for living, mutants in Metro universe can also breed and migrate. Also, what do you mean "define nearby cities"? Should I list every city in biome taiga, which was in NATO's "bomb shit out of it list"? If you think that nobody will send rockets in Syberia - you incorrect. People who live in such cities have equal or even less chances to save their asses than in heavy populated regions, because no shelters and climate and nature kills slowly, but effective.
Like I said, I'm not very knowledgable about the Metro series' world, but I assume that new mutated species' populations would disperse following the same pattern as real life species. Generally, if there is enough food and no natural adversaries they would gradually spread until they hit some geographical limitation - mountain ranges, unsuitable temperatures, oceans, etc.

The new mutated species originate from the highly irradiated places - places which were heavily nuked, or nuclear power plants which were destroyed. It's not possible that in the span of jusr 20 years regular species, affected by radiation, would produce such mutations as seen in the game, but let's imagine it's possible. Many mutated species would not be fit for the environment and would die out, and be extincted by other species with more successful mutations.

I mentioned the taiga because I would expect it would one of the cleaner places in the aftermath of a full scale nuclear war, and mutants would find their way there much later, and encounter less hospitable climate compared to the places we've seen them inhabit in the games.

P.S. Among the long-term effects of ionizing radiation is the damage of reproductive abilities, due to the fact that the radiation damages worst the cells that reproduce fastest - and gamete cells (sperm and egg cells) are some of the fastest-dividing ones.

So, instead of mutants taking over the pre-war ecosystem ("pre-war biocenosis" actually, after I checked the right term), we could expect the first few generations of mutants to filter out the less adaptable species, but then the more adaptable ones would produce fewer viable offspring. They would gradually lose the evolution race against healthier species which are not affected by heritable diseases caused by radiation-damaged reproductive cells of the parents.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
e78480099f674e7391ecd4fb2b2b6630a3c0f9d31828bd9b43077e485e4cf01e.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom