Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Stupid they won't put it on GOG since it's been out a year and cracked, but whatever. Haven't even played Last Light yet, so maybe by the time I get around to it GOG will have it.

Squid

Arbiter
The GOG version should include the non-Redux versions along with any purchase of Redux like other games and remasters have.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Stupid they won't put it on GOG since it's been out a year and cracked, but whatever. Haven't even played Last Light yet, so maybe by the time I get around to it GOG will have it.
Most likely it didn't sold well and are trying to do a second release.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Exodus is a great game, best Metro yet. I loved exploring its open spaces. If only they made it into more of a FPSRPG hybrid like Stalker and gave Artyom ability to speak.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The best one was the second one. It had good mix of exploration and great cinematic action pieces. This one was too focused on the train melodrama and the open world lacked something,still a decent shooter.

JDR13

Arcane
It depends what you like, but if you enjoy more exploration, and having (much) larger maps, then Exodus is the best game in the series.

Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the fondness for Last Light around here. To me, it's easily the weakest of the three.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't remember if i already commented on this thread as i've finished the game a couple of months ago (or around there) thanks to Gamepass (which i think has expired by now).

But i *really* enjoy exploration in games, so in theory Exodus would be great. However i do not enjoy random exploration for exploration's sake - i want interesting stuff, which is why i prefer games with more compact worlds and for open world games i prefer the abstracted overworld approach (think Fallout 1) instead of the seamless open world approach (think Fallout 3), even if sometimes developers do manage to do the latter good enough (think New Vegas, Morrowind or Gothic 1).

For me Exodus had the worst aspects of seamless open world games without even being one - random "stuff" dropped all over the place without reason. The Caspian Sea level is the worst of it and a good example of what i mean: in the game you get a pair of binoculars that you are supposed to use to find interesting locations (essentially put Ubisoft markers on your map). That *could* have been interesting (those markers aren't being put there automatically by hitting a "reveal area" key, you have to go yourself to high places and have to look yourself at the areas and even adjust the binocular focus, meaning there is active participation from your side and you can miss things) but the items you find are garbage. 9 out of 10 markers in the Caspian Sea are placed on some rusty boat that contains a single randomly generated loot item and the same pack of enemies (that often take more resources than whatever you collected to beat).

It could have been nice if they changed their entire approach for the game, but of course it will have even less of a connection to the previous games (which IMO is a worse thing to do). Instead they just took what they did before and stretched it out. An example of this is the "party on the train" scripted event that goes on and on and on and on. The previous games had some non-combat scripted events like that, but they were short and gave a tone of atmosphere. This one just dragged on and all the supposedly emotional scenes fell flat to me.

I liked their previous games much more, though IIRC the heavy scripting was already in Last Light (and their fucking insistence on locking FOV, WTF is that three games later? I have a feeling that some animator over there has high opinions about the importance of their artistic vision). The first time i went out to the surface by myself and came face to face with these huge rat-like creatures i got genuinely creeped out by their appearance, motion and sounds. Nothing came close to that in Exodus.

Perhaps moving to hot Malta broke 4A and they should have moved to some other cold place instead :-P

DeepOcean

Arcane
Metro Exodus is a by the numbers sequel with the more is better mentality without actually adding something interesting new, you just do the same things you did on the previous games but with a bigger quantity of it. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, but the feeling of the exploration really changed, going to the surface was something special and dangerous, a proper desperate journey into the unknown on the previous games with the feeling of "Oh, shit, this wont end good.", now the feeling is "What loot I gonna get on that corner?". It is alot more generic AAA open world shooter than it needed to be. Still fun but disappointing.

The plot is also very weak and I'm really annoyed with the constant circle jerk around Artyom, it was a fun game but it felt their idea for a sequel was how to make the game bigger without necessarily thinking how to support that. Stalker, this isn't.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But i *really* enjoy exploration in games, so in theory Exodus would be great. However i do not enjoy random exploration for exploration's sake - i want interesting stuff, which is why i prefer games with more compact worlds and for open world games i prefer the abstracted overworld approach (think Fallout 1) instead of the seamless open world approach (think Fallout 3), even if sometimes developers do manage to do the latter good enough (think New Vegas, Morrowind or Gothic 1).

I don't know if you're right about Metro 3 or not, but in general... fucking preach brother!

JDR13

Arcane
Metro Exodus is a by the numbers sequel with the more is better mentality without actually adding something interesting new, you just do the same things you did on the previous games but with a bigger quantity of it. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, but the feeling of the exploration really changed, going to the surface was something special and dangerous, a proper desperate journey into the unknown on the previous games with the feeling of "Oh, shit, this wont end good.", now the feeling is "What loot I gonna get on that corner?". It is alot more generic AAA open world shooter than it needed to be. Still fun but disappointing.

The plot is also very weak and I'm really annoyed with the constant circle jerk around Artyom, it was a fun game but it felt their idea for a sequel was how to make the game bigger without necessarily thinking how to support that. Stalker, this isn't.

Exodus isn't much like the previous games at all. For one, we finally get to see a variety of different environments. While I still enjoy the setting and atmosphere of 2033 and LL, one of the biggest drawbacks of those games is how samey they are from beginning to end. It's just one dark tunnel after another with an occasional trip to the surface where you see the same shades of grey everywhere.

As far as the plot, it wasn't anything special, but it was a lot better than the silly crap that centered on the baby Dark One in Last Light. Getting rid of the paranormal stuff was the best move they could have made.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting rid of the paranormal stuff was the best move they could have made.

Without spoiling to others who haven't played the game yet... they didn't :-P.

Half the latter part of the game is Artyom tripping balls on radiation magic... :-P

Though it was toned down, there are several aspects of the game that can only be explained if you think of it as science fantasy instead of pure sci-fi.

JDR13

Arcane
Getting rid of the paranormal stuff was the best move they could have made.

Without spoiling to others who haven't played the game yet... they didn't :-P.

Half the latter part of the game is Artyom tripping balls on radiation magic... :-P

Though it was toned down, there are several aspects of the game that can only be explained if you think of it as science fantasy instead of pure sci-fi.

I'm pretty sure he was hallucinating due to radiation poisoning. They didn't even mention the Dark Ones except once or twice in passing. I think the devs finally realized the setting was better without that stuff.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Yes that was it, but i'm pretty sure radiation poisoning doesn't make you hallucinate :-P. But that wasn't the only thing.

The game in general had a tone i'd expect to see in old sci-fi books and films, especially the parts about radiation. It certainly fits its setting though and i do not consider it a negative at all. For me the flaws of the game were mainly on the "game" side and not on the writing or the setting (and FWIW i do not consider science fantasy a negative at all).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
$24 is an decent launch price for the holdouts. Thought they might go all-in on Steam loyalists and launch at $50 or whatever. $24 isn't as cheap as Epic had it before, but it's not incredibly far off.

Will be interesting to see how it sells. #2 on best selling list at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom