Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metro Exodus - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Jun 12, 2017.

1. what am i doing Savant

what am i doing
    Is Exodus more like 2033 or more like Last Light / 2033 Redux? I absolutely loved Metro 2033, it was a top tier slav game, but then Last Light came out and felt very much more like some American AAA game, and I can't really say I enjoyed any part of it; similarly 2033 Redux felt like a downgrade both with some of the gameplay tweaks and, of course, the graphics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sodafish Arcane

Sodafish
    Exodus is the latter turned up to 11.

• Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. toro Arcane

toro
    It's like Last Light.

The company moved to Malta therefore the slav vibe is gone except for location and language.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. what am i doing Savant

what am i doing
    RIP. Gonna give it a pass then.

^ Top  
  5. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    I'd advise at least trying it. Exodus isn't much like either of the previous games, but I thought it was great. It retains a lot of the same atmosphere but with open-world size maps. It also offers more variety both in terms of environments and the enemies you'll face, and it looks fantastic if you have the hardware to run it on higher settings.

^ Top  
  6. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    Wow this game is absolute dogshit. Shitty console port, check. Clunky menus, check. No in-game FOV slider, check. No in-game option to turn off motion blur, check. Hold-button-to-interact-with-things, check. Dumb cutscenes that pull you out of the game, check. Shit VO, check. Shit writing, check.

Refunded, and thank fuck I never bought this piece of shit on the Epic Game Store.

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Last two games were annoyingly rail-roaded experiences with cutting-edge graphics being its only major selling point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I never much understood the appeal of this Metro popamole.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    Bleak and gritty post-apocalypse is rarely done well.
    Unfortunate reminders of Fallout 76 and Rage 2's existence make me blow air out my nose, this genre is at it's best when depicting a tragedy but developers insist we get zombies!!! and pink mohawk zaniness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Not every game needs to shoot for realism and grit.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    I'm not saying there is no room for anything else.
    Devs tend to get away with more serious subject matter in this genre and I fear that will be phased out in favor of more easily digestible hair dyed mohawk men wearing armor made of assembled kitchen pots and plates driving mad max cars and shooting at super mutants while Country Roads or similar pop songs are played at high volumes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I think there's a decent balance when it comes to tone. People spazzed out on Rage 2 for being Mad Max to the 10th power, but as long as stuff like Metro is equally viable I don't have a problem. Something for everyone, etc. etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    If anything I think it would've just been better if they stayed a linear popamole game with it's own semi-unique style and identity. Exodus going open world just makes it another mediocre open world game in a sea of mediocre open world games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    4A misunderstood the complaints about linearity.
    Their belief was that people wanted ammo and air filter scavenger hunts in larger, more open levels when most likely people just wanted them to drop the level format so they could do Moscow tunnel runs and occasional surface trips at their own leisure.

It's also very possible I just suck cock and people wanted the former but they just didn't get it right this time.

• nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I haven't played it yet... is it "open open" like Rage 2, or "large nonlinear levels in sequence" like a Deus Ex or Witcher 2?

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Exodus isn't mediocre compared to other recent open-world shooters. It's the first shooter I've played in a long time that doesn't lead you around by the hand with quest markers, etc. It also does a lot of little things that add to the immersion like having a minimalistic HUD and actual maps that the PC pulls out to look at vs a map screen. I realize not everyone cares about details like that, but I think those things are part of the reason it has an overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam.

While most shooters nowadays have tons of icons and markers floating around the screen, 4A took the opposite approach with Exodus, and that made it a much more immersive experience imo.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    The latter.

They mix it up though. Most of the maps are quite large, but a few of them are smaller and more linear and story-driven. The weather also changes as you progress through the story which takes place over approximately a year. The first chapter takes place in the Winter, the second chapter during Spring, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sodafish Arcane

Sodafish
    Maybe. Maybe it's also because most people are retards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i think i will try it when it is cheap enough on steam

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Unfortunately most games are shooting for banality, there is a difference of aiming for fun and avoid any interesting exploration about anything because of cowardice/stupidity/creative bankrupcy. The Metro series arent gritty or realist, at least they are only that at a very surface level. The first game had an unique style, they were shooting for this bleak life on the metro with a strange new culture arising from people having to deal with a new ecology and developing a new strange mysticism arising from the Moscow ruins, the borrowed ideas from Stalker are there.

It ends with you discovering an abandoned soviet nuclear silo that ends on you repeating the same descend on madness that lead to the war with you killing things you couldnt undestand out of fear.

The second one, they throw most of the things interesting on the setting to focus on the factions that are just cardboard box villains for you to shoot, they are tropey to the extreme and completely ignore the reality of the setting they are in, no much different from those generic raiders on Fallout 3. They are bad guys for you to play Call of Duty with, that is it, there is a theme in there where humanity not learning anything and fighting again for nothing but was really underdeveloped, and placed on the backburner in favor of the popamole setpieces.

This one isnt much different from Last Light, but instead of aping Call of Duty, it is aping the open world model, there are some moments here and there and the game feeds the basic open world gameplay loop on a basic level but it is very meh at the end. Dimitry Glukhovsky made an interesting story for a book, 4A decides to do an adaptation, they make their best game then they sell out to make big bucks, sounds like CDProjekt alright.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    The only good game that came out of the Ukraine is Cryostasis Sleep of Reason

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)