Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I heard that the books are pretty bad,something like the doom books from way back in time :). Just moving and shooting.

Whoever told you that is a MASSIVE dumbfuck (and probably havnt actually read the book), first Metro book is very interesting, it kind of does read like a video game, as main character is constantly moving to new "scenes" where he encounters monsters/characters. But the shooty is just a small part of it, there is a lot of neat stuff with horror, surreal, psychology, social experiments etc.

But unfortunately (and I hate to say this as I love Metro 2033), Glukhovsky is a one hit wonder, the second book is just bad. And his involvement with the games has made them worse...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played for a few hours and it was a mixed bag. It runs well on my 580gtx on low and looks really good also,it must look gorgeous on max. The first few hours are horrendous tho,it have like 3 hours prologue that are painful. There is a lot of console shit like holding a button to do something,it really bogs down the game. Also like in the other metro games it have too much detains and thus making looting really annoying,it is hard to spot what is loot and what is useless shit. The game have heavy enfaces on "cinematic" experience,it is total shit,half the prologue is in game cutscenes :roll:. The controls feel sluggish to me,but it could be because of my video card tho....but i am not so sure. It feels like there is some time before the animation is finished thus delaying the action. Punching people could be pretty hard because of it. The writing is noticeably bad,i am constantly scratching my heat and what i am hearing,like one of the people with you looks 30 years old but talks about his soldier days back before the war. Your wife is a fucking annoying,an hour in and i felt like punching her in the mouth :argh:. Also it is painfully obvious that the writer is a virgin,all the body language and dialogue feels like you are in the friend zone and not her man. Also the protagonist lacks any voice or dialogue,it feels kind of weird when somebody is giving you a long monologue. A few dialogue options would have made the game a lot better.

All this aside,the game could be fun. I am just getting in to the open world and it is pretty fun. Just beat the shit out of some religious people,feels bad because of forced and bad writing :roll:.

Oh also there is a quick save,but you can't use it while the devs are jizzing all over the screen with their cinematic 3 hour prologues.
In the end it could be a decent popamole time waster,but it is highly overrated for certainty!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also it is painfully obvious that the writer is a virgin,all the body language and dialogue feels like you are in the friend zone and not her man. Also the protagonist lacks any voice or dialogue,it feels kind of weird when somebody is giving you a long monologue.
what did you expect from someone who writes down his experiences in a girly diary and then reads it out loud on a loading screen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I heard that the books are pretty bad,something like the doom books from way back in time :). Just moving and shooting.

Whoever told you that is a MASSIVE dumbfuck (and probably havnt actually read the book), first Metro book is very interesting, it kind of does read like a video game, as main character is constantly moving to new "scenes" where he encounters monsters/characters. But the shooty is just a small part of it, there is a lot of neat stuff with horror, surreal, psychology, social experiments etc.

But unfortunately (and I hate to say this as I love Metro 2033), Glukhovsky is a one hit wonder, the second book is just bad. And his involvement with the games has made them worse...
Exactly my thoughts while reading the first book. You have a game script basically. I think a much better fps could have been made based on it, and 4A have been skipping corners design wise, but they were going more for technical achievements than for fun FPS gameplay. Not to forget that this was also the heyday of the CoD shooter.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Exactly my thoughts while reading the first book. You have a game script basically. I think a much better fps could have been made based on it, and 4A have been skipping corners design wise, but they were going more for technical achievements than for fun FPS gameplay. Not to forget that this was also the heyday of the CoD shooter.
And that is a bad book.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So:
Speaking as somebody who is reading the first book - I say it's definetly not bad.
Speaking as somebody who has not read shit, you say it's bad.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Random thought - the Metro books' world is a take on the traditional Russian siege mentality. You spend decades arming yourself against the outside world and then you accidentally discover that the outside world is much more hospitable and better suited for life than the one you've been taught is all there is.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck,just finished the mission after the swamp area. This game is good only during the open areas and you are free to do whatever you feel like.

That one was really bad,after of 30 minutes of dialogues and in game events without any action....
Well it was like a zombie shooter,there was bunker where the people there went cannibals begun eating each other and the incoming refugees. Well 20 years later you go there and everything is filled with corpses,thus abundance of meat. Also they are like a fucking endless,i killed maybe 200 alone :roll:. It really puts off the creepy atmosphere when you are just gunning down a waves of spawned retards. It is really poor design. Also the director clearly wanted to make a fucking movie and not a game,hope he eat shit!

Starwars

Arcane
When you look forward to playing an open world game (well, a bit open at least) and you find the first set of boring, generic crafting supplies that you know you'll find everywhere.
:rage:

Also, "hold button" prompts.
:rage:

I was kinda, sorta hoping that this will pull Witcher 3 and will turn out pretty great (while still being popamole-ish tho). It's pretty mediocre instead, quite literally a railroaded shooter with terrible AI and encounter deisgn, most of the fights are on the level of borderlands kind of bad, no real open world to speak of etc.

Writing is meh, but then again the book wasn't much better - cool concept written by a rather basic feller and the same applies to the game on multiple levels. Some details and interactions are pretty neat, but overall it's just so depressingly boring and pointless that you are probably better off playing FC5 instead (I mean at least it's fun, in a chaotic sandbox sort of way).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Just got to Caspian part.
This game is filled with AAA crap: inconsistency in mantling (you can jump and grab on some edges but you can't on others, for no discernible reason even though the character can clearly reach or is tall enough), one big forced combat shooting gallery, super long dialogue (everyone has at least two books worthy of things to say with no end in sight), Anna is just insufferable, invisible walls, QTEs, many cutscenes/loss of control, absolutely obnoxious sounds when you're chocking and you need to put the mask on, didn't really believe I was going to say this but Artyom really needs a voice (everytime someone asks him something and they also answer makes me wonder if there's something wrong with them or Artyom), if you want to play stealthy you play during the night time (which makes you invisible, standing, crouching, doesn't matter, at least Crysis had the energy cloaking system), the non lethal takedowns are so loud I'm surprised all of Russia doesn't hear them), checkpoints in all the wrong places and at the worst of times (infiltrating a bandit camp the game saves in two spots near the entrance or at various other points of entry, most of the time the game saves after a firefight with low HP, ammunition, other times it doesn't save for like 15-20 mins, it's pretty random and beyond infuriating), the subtitles box hovers over your wrist watch preventing you from seeing whether you're visible or not, also the time (especially important if playing during the 00:00 - 04:00 hours in game since that's optimal for stealth), can't holster the weapon (you can lower it a bit), the laser targeting reticule isn't seen by enemies, and some other things. Whatever if there is one more forced shooting gallery section in the game I'm uninstalling as I'm close to that point anyway. All of the above happened pretty often or were noticeable otherwise wouldn't be mentioned.
So far, Last Light was superior to this.

Late edit: also unskippable cutscenes.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A big problem is the lack of voice from the protagonist,it makes all the talking feel terrible. It is a long times of monologues spewed at you,the worst is that you don't know if that faggot is having a quest or not. The side quests are hidden in the dialogue,after 10 minutes of listening to somebody whine about their life they ask you to something. It is really bad design. Last light is a lot better game than this,still the open world is good,nobody talks there.

Sodafish

Arcane
Played this for a few hours (just finished the technophobe church bit). The whole prologue was incredibly tedious, and all the fucking NPC blather! They just never stop yapping in those atrocious faux-Russian accents, usually all at once so you can't focus on any one conversation clearly. Oh yes, and the story thus far is beyond bsb. Does it improve much from this point? So far this is easily the worst of the series yet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Played this for a few hours (just finished the technophobe church bit). The whole prologue was incredibly tedious, and all the fucking NPC blather! They just never stop yapping in those atrocious faux-Russian accents, usually all at once so you can't focus on any one conversation clearly. Oh yes, and the story thus far is beyond bsb. Does it improve much from this point? So far this is easily the worst of the series yet.
Oh keep on playing mate,it gets beyond bad in the next two parts. I just finished the forest one,it was great fun. You had to sneak around during the night,also the story wasn't bad,except a few stupid things :). Also the baron from the desert was fun to listen on the radio.
It is real shame that the desert chapter ended that way. It was going strong utile they mislead you to believe that you will get a fucking choice and then just force feed you that bullshit :(.

Fuck that fedora tipping faggot of a writer,hope he becomes a prison bitch!

AwesomeButton

Patron
Metacritic:

2033 - journo 80, user 80

Last light - journo 80, user 85

Exodus - journo 84, user 63

:killit:
Ten years ago, you had CoD being the model for first person shooters. Today, you market your game as open world (and no amount of "but"s will change people's expectations), you get criticism from people who are already whiny little bitches, even when you don't give them a reason for it.

RapineDel

Augur
I "downloaded" this and I'm really sick of this trend where you have to hold down a button to do anything (open a door etc.). It's in REmake 2 and it's clearly console crap ported over. Adds absolutely nothing and it's like they think if you have to hold down a button instead of pressing it, it makes up for the ridiculous cut-scenes and non-gameplay every where else.

I'm also glad I had no reason to buy this Day 1 anymore as it seems to be a real flop, poor open world design mixed in with railroaded crap. Certainly no Stalker and the wait continues for anything remotely resembling that quality.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wil you stop with that stupid conspiracy type of thinking. If people like it,they will rate it high,if they don't,it will be low.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, anyone stupid enough to :d1p: this shit on Fake Steam aka le Ebic Store?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom