Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Parabalus

Arcane
Metacritic:

2033 - journo 80, user 80

Last light - journo 80, user 85

Exodus - journo 84, user 63

:killit:
Ten years ago, you had CoD being the model for first person shooters. Today, you market your game as open world (and no amount of "but"s will change people's expectations), you get criticism from people who are already whiny little bitches, even when you don't give them a reason for it.

The first two play exactly like CoD style shooters though, with Bioware style cutscenes in between.

I hoped this one would be more stalker-like, but I'll trust fantadomat that it's trash.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just finished the game and will write a few words about it,expect spoilers! If i have to describe it with a word well....cinematic.

On technical level the game is great,it run well enough on my old GTX580 on low and still looked great,it is really beautiful game. I didn't had any major bugs or problems,the odd clipping once or twice,that was it. The programmers and the graphic designers did really good job at making this game,10/10 in those aspects.

The in game mechanics on the other side are pretty bad and consoletarded,by choice not by lack of skills. As i said it cinematic,reloads take a lot of time because muh shiny movements,the guns have a second delay because they swing according to the body movements. Hitboxes are pretty shitty also,i had missed a lot of shots that i should have. All your weapons shoot in a dot,meaning that either they hit the target if mark is on it or not. Thus you see how bullets and shells clip trough your enemy from time to time,it is pretty obvious when a bunch of wiggling mutants attack you and all your shots do nothing even when they pass trough them. The melee attack is pretty shit because you are using the stock and don't have a fucking bayonet,the animation is really slow and annoying. Thus the best option fight with mutants is to just run around a collect loot while you are fallowed by a flock of mutants trying to hit you. Tho the running is also annoying because our protag have the lungs of a fat american,he can't run more than 50 meters before getting a hearth attack. Invisible stamina meters are worst than normal. The most efficient way to take human enemies to run to them and punch them,also you get the best outcomes that way.

Another kind of annoying mechanic is the weapon's maintenance,it is good on book but is not well implemented. Generally your weapons get dirtier and you have to find a work bench to clean them with chemicals,if not the weapons could jam after a few shots. For most of the game that is not a problem and you could run with dirty weapons,because you could down most enemies with a precise shot and thus not jam the weapons. Later in the game,near the end to be honest,you could/have to fight a bunch of mutants that take a decent amount of damage. They were good fun fighting but guns were far too dirty at that point even if i cleaned them on the last bench,and thus you end up constantly spamming R to unjam the gun. It wouldn't have been a problem if you could just clean them at your inventory/backpack screen.

Sneaking on other hand could be interesting and fun but also frustrating. Mainly because you can't hide bodies or direct the direction of their fall. Still it could be pretty fun once it clicks with you,the best missions were where you have to sneak in a place during the night. The best part of the game,the forest map is focused around this.
Another great offender is the fucking hold E to do anything in this game,it gets tiresome very fast. It is tedious beyond believe since there is a lot of pointless shit to open and loot. It is shame that you could use all that scrap to only make ammunitions and clean your gun,by the end of the game i had a few thousands of both resources. An added building/upgrading your base mechanic would have been great,but sadly it is not present.

Cinematics,cinematics and more cinematics,this game is filled with this shit,you get them constantly and they are long,pointless and unrealistic. They are like 60% of the fucking game,it is the biggest flaw of the game,they are endless. Even decided to not use the fucking car in the desert level because of them. Our here constantly ends up in situation where he gets pushed/hit down and you have to watch a 30 seconds of how somebody helps you to get up.You are constantly beaten down and it gets tedious,don't remember a single time helped another person to get up. There is constant yapping about trivial shit from the people,a lot of it is unscaleable or end up important after 5-10 minutes of listening to them. This is gravely amplified by the lack of voice from the character. It just comes off as endless monologues and speeches.

The level design is really good,all the places feel interesting and make sense if you take out all the illogical corpses and loot boxes splattered around :). Sadly it is spoiled by some encounter designs decisions and lost part of its atmosphere. Good example is the level after the volga one,it is about a bunker filled with a hungry cannibals,yet you are gunning hundreds of them,it killed any horror atmosphere and made a promising level in to a popamole corridor shooter. Most of the mutant encounters in the story missions are the same,you get to a waypoint,a few waves of mutants spawn and after you run around your companion npc waiting to kill them (waste of good ammo) then you continue. Thank god that they made they made npcs very capable,those guys could kill nearly the same amount as you,and if you let them they could kill all the enemy in due time.

The writing is from unintentionally great to down right obsidian level of bad. People are just talking those long monologues that go on for minutes while you just site there and look them like a fucking cow. A lot of the characters are annoying,mainly "your" woman,she is insufferable cunt that i wanted to punch her in the face :argh:. The great parts are mainly stories you could come by while exploring and the antagonists and their societies. Many times i felt like joining some of their groups and ditching my bunch of cunts,i am looking at you Baron:cool:. Another great annoyance in the writing is all the plot "convenience",like how characters teleport around and do 10 times more shit than your protag and end up saving you. It is pretty obvious some times how they teleport before you and just ignore the traversing time. It does seems to me that the writer/narrative director does lack any real life experience and knowledge. Many things just don't make any sense,like radiation for example. After 20 years most of the lethal radiation should have been dispersed and you shouldn't be dying from it unless a prolong exposure. Also there is lack of urgency in the npcs action in a lot of situation. The last area is a good example,there is a lot of radiation and you are supposed to be on the clock,they are just slowly walking and talking about useless shit :roll:.

There are six parts of the game, Moscow,Volga river/swamp,Government bunker,Caspian sea/desert,some Forest area and the final dead city. Now i will write a few words what they are about,heavy spoilers,be warned fags!

Moscow- a boring 3 hours of shoot the evul nazi,watch cinematic shit and run with the train

Volga-save a smart womyn and her bastard cunt of kid form evul religious anti-tech cult. Good exploration and interesting story parts and info about the cult.Also fuck boats and those enemies in the water! Try to use the boats to bare minimum!!!

Bunker-the worst part of the game,bunch of starving cannibals that you gun down in hundreds.

Caspian sea-you have to save a strong independent womyn fighting for the freedom of the inbreed,mutated,retarded savages that she call her people ,i know. They don't have anything in common,also they chose to become subservient to the bad "guy". Still decent area,nice writing when it is not about the stupid cunt,the Baron is great. In the end i was really pissed how they get away your freedom to decide his fate . It ended up as the most salty part of the game for me.

Forest area-It was the best part of the game,the writing was pretty fun even if some retarded 10 hours love at first sight and muh radiation. It has pretty strong writing and story,and it is mainly gameplay. Heavy emphases on stealth and not killing.

Dead city- The final part of the game,you have save another cunt :). It is the best cinematic part of the game,they did it right this time. It is around 2 hours of linear progression trough atmospheric level with great level design and interesting enemies,the canal is maybe the best section of the game. Tho you don't fight much in it,you are mainly pushing forward and watching shit happens.

In the end....it is not bad but it have a lot of bad choices,yet i do feel that it is vastly overrated. The director should have made a movie instead of game. In the end i don't feel like a wasted my time,i had some fun and some frustrations. It is better than the first metro and worst than last light. It is decent if you have 30-40 hours to kill and don't really care that much about the cinematics,or you are looking forward to them.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Moscow- a boring 3 hours of shoot the evul nazi,watch cinematic shit and run with the train

Volga-save a smart womyn and her bastard cunt of kid form evul religious anti-tech cult. Good exploration and interesting story parts and info about the cult.Also fuck boats and those enemies in the water! Try to use the boats to bare minimum!!!

Bunker-the worst part of the game,bunch of starving cannibals that you gun down in hundreds.

Caspian sea-you have to save a strong independent womyn fighting for the freedom of the inbreed,mutated,retarded savages that she call her people ,i know. They don't have anything in common,also they chose to become subservient to the bad "guy". Still decent area,nice writing when it is not about the stupid cunt,the Baron is great. In the end i was really pissed how they get away your freedom to decide his fate . It ended up as the most salty part of the game for me.

Forest area-It was the best part of the game,the writing was pretty fun even if some retarded 10 hours love at first sight and muh radiation. It has pretty strong writing and story,and it is mainly gameplay. Heavy emphases on stealth and not killing.

Dead city- The final part of the game,you have save another cunt :). It is the best cinematic part of the game,they did it right this time. It is around 2 hours of linear progression trough atmospheric level with great level design and interesting enemies,the canal is maybe the best section of the game. Tho you don't fight much in it,you are mainly pushing forward and watching shit happens.

Metro Exodus = Harem Anime?

track02

Novice
Just finished today with the bad ending - I'm guessing because I had no interest in the stealth which I really didn't care for
I liked the first two areas (snow / desert), the forest was a real slog but the final level was great although it seemed a bit short

Overall it's decent but not worth full price, it looks great and is pretty fun to play when the game actually stops holding your hand

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The first two play exactly like CoD style shooters though, with Bioware style cutscenes in between.
Yes, and that's exactly my point. The majority of the reviews making up the metacritic score for the old games were written back when it was considered ok to have a shooter on rails.

Ash

Arcane
It was never OK. Not that style anyway; the regen health cinematic on rails military shooter.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the opinion of tens of millions of CoD owners is any guidance as to the popular tastes, it was considered ok.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty good as far as popamole games go. I like it more than the first two, and I liked the first two quite a bit. I'd give a solid 8/10 on a non-IGN scale. I never played any of the Far Cry games so not sure how it stacks up against those, or really any of the current breed of pseudo-persistent mmo-like FPS games since I haven't played any of those either. It's no stalker/fallout/whatever replacement, so don't go into it thinking that. It's what I'd call a "cinematic game" done well, which is weird for me cuz I usually dislike anything cinematic.

I dunno where people are getting regenerating health tho, at one point I was running around with the red shit on my screen for about 30 minutes cuz I didn't want to use a medkit. Same with the first two games as well... Unless you're playing on an easier difficulty, which I think is the wrong way to go around it -- not just for bragging rights, but because of the way damage works -- where on harder difficulties your own bullets do more damage.

Oh also, thank god you can change FOV, tho it does break certain animations like the red damage indicator around the screen... or make your cigarette float in the air.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finished the game.
Honestly, I uninstalled it literally 15 seconds after exiting the game.
I......can't recommend this game. If you want to play a Metro game, play Last Light. This game is more of a movie, long, unskippable cutscenes, terrible characters, Ana....I just wanted to kill her 1 min after hearing her speak. Very annoying. All the missions have you being accompanied by an ally which leads you through forced combat sections, makes utterly pointless and dumb conversation and is just........ maddening.
One adjective I would use to describe this would be archaic.
In an era of RPGs or games with RPG elements, immersive sims and generally games which allow you multiple approaches, options, endings, choices in general, this game uses elements that are outdated, annoying and don't innovate in any way. RDR2 was criticized for Rockstar's old design and structure in some reviews. The same criticism could be applied here but this isn't Rockstar.
Forced combat sections, incredibly annoying dialogue and NPCs, very long dialogue (sit through minutes and minutes of life stories you didn't ask for only to get a quest to retrieve something if you made it all the way to the end of the ramblings), bosses are killed in cutscenes, 2nd bear boss fight in the game works like this: do enough damage to it and then let the bear damage you once in order to start the killing cutscene (of course I didn't know that, I put all the bullets in him and there was no indication that I had to do something else, I had to watch a YouTube video and read comments to find out that this is a thing, in a 2019 game), playing on easy, normal difficulty you can quicksave all you like (an extreme), playing on ranger hardcore you rely on the absolutely chaotic, no rhyme or reason checkpoint system (another extreme) which saves at the worst of times, after a fight with low HP and resources, sometimes after you've been detected, others report that one of the autosave took place on the air while he or she was falling to their deaths or under the map (apropos, I lost a weapon when I replaced it with another one from a dead enemy, and Artyom dropped the weapon he was holding and it fell through the floor........ and the game autosaved), sometimes it doesn't save for 10 minutes straight (I went for 35 minutes with no saving) and if you look on the internet to see what can you do to trigger checkpoints, well yeah, good luck, no one knows, invisible walls, trying to jump on places you totally could, horizontally and vertically, because there is a ledge grab mechanic, well you're SOL if you don't know the correct path to take in some heavily scripted areas like the Dead City, stealth wise (it doesn't matter if you're in shadows or not only if it's night or day, if it's night you're invisible and if it's day you can go to the darkest shadow and you'll still be seen, in interiors it works if you avoid lights and stay in the dark though not always, a direct result of the absolute cancer this binary system is since it's been introduced in stealth games; propagation of information works like this: if an enemy detects you, you have about a second or two to eliminate him otherwise all the enemies know your exact position instantly, kind of like Far Cry; throwing cans as distractions doesn't always work, it's inconsistent; trying to remain stealthy during a scripted sequence is lol worthy but hope dies last (in the bunker mission, a shooting gallery, trying to destroy the lights to hide from enemies is pointless, they know where you are and when they can't get to you they just stand there screaming); also being detected and shot through walls), Russian NPCs talking English is just dumb, they should have spoken Russian and have English subtitles, enemies rarely attack each other, if ever (saw bandits standing near walking zombies/ghouls/ idk what they're called in this game), jump scares galore, the final map and the ending sequence is very dragged on, eventually I just downloaded a trainer to activate for mode and rush to the ending credits, also there was a point with infinitely respawning enemies while you had to turn a crank and it turned super slow (even though throughout the game, cranks like that were turned very fast) and every attack interrupted you, you had to kill them, start turning it and hope you finally got it, the final level introduces a new enemy, but it's not anything new under the Sun.
I could go on but I think you got the idea by now.
What I liked were the diegetic elements from the previous games but what I liked even more, were the maps. You have an urban, arctic, desert, jungle area and they're really well done, very atmospheric, it's like playing a horror game and these beautiful, beautiful maps are yet again wasted on the wrong game. However the urban areas, that's what Fallout should look like, they're amazing.
Overall, disappointed in this game, instead of improving and innovating, they chose to fill their game with stuff you only witness in AAA games, no surprise considering the dev is 4A games, the next big thing after AAA.

Oh, also, Artyom doesn't speak so when NPCs were addressing you, asking you questions and answering them immediately, I couldn't help but wonder, is it something wrong with me or them? I don't like voiced protagonists but this game needs it bad.
Also, Denuvo.

Tldr: there is none, read all of the above.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I vaguely remember reading the Redux versions of the first two games had issues. Is it advisable to get the original versions instead?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I vaguely remember reading the Redux versions of the first two games had issues. Is it advisable to get the original versions instead?
Metro: Last Light Redux is fine. Avoid Metro 2033 Redux like the plague. It updates the graphics but also incorporates a lot of the gameplay changes from Last Light in to 2033, most of which break the game (weapon customization and the simplified stealth system trivialize most encounters being the biggest issue), which don't make the minor graphical overhauls all that worth it.

Sodafish

Arcane
which don't make the minor graphical overhauls all that worth it

Honestly I prefer the graphics of the original anyway, especially in the surface areas; more bleak and drab looking, which reminds me more of Stalker.

If you do play the original though, just be sure to stock up on as many filters as you can afford at the first shop opportunity you get. Not doing so is a common mistake for first time players, and later on there are not that many to be found, which can make it very difficult to get through the surface areas later if you come poorly equipped.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I think Metro 2033 is the only one in the series that is worth playing and that is honestly mostly for the atmosphere. Last Light is a piece of shit and Exodus is proving to be that as well.

They are pretty disappointing games all in all.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why is last light worse than metro 2033? I started playing it and got about halfway, the original metro I got dumped twice few levels in.

It's like a CoD with Biowhore cinematics.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Why is last light worse than metro 2033?
Overabundance of poorly designed action set pieces, most of these on Ranger Hardcore end up with you hiding behind cover to wait it out and hoping the AI doesn't get a lucky hit on you.
Game keeps introducing human companions to escort you through levels by the nose.
Air and Ammo plentiful even on Ranger Hardcore (Redux Survival mostly fixes this though).
AI is especially dumb, nearly impossible to get caught unless on purpose.
Plot has several different stories going on at once and jumps between them at random with none of them getting the development they need for payoffs to be effective.
Horror is real low effort shit like seeing a silhouette of a guy who hanged himself and then the screen gets all shaky until you leave the room.

The parts where you are alone like in the swamp or underneath the church were cool though.
Also someone needs to elaborate on what "Bioware cinematics" even are.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Metro 2033 doesn't have BioWare cinematics. What it has is more like a bunch of really poorly made CoD cinematics that are only there to disrupt the pacing and otherwise annoy you. You know, spots where the game wrestles control away from you for a moment just to show you something super exciting, like those inconsequential, unavoidable scripted moments where your character gets knocked down, only to be saved mere seconds later by some random character you'll forget about in five minutes. The game is littered with this kind of stuff, and it's invariably terrible.

Dunno about Last Light or Exodus.

imweasel

Well, I was expecting the series to lose a lot of its charm and the gameplay to take a nose dive when it was announced that the devs decided to leave the subways and go open world on the surface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom