Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Played a bit of the new DLC. I felt a serious STALKER vibe.

The DLC has a level that tasks you to scavenge, survive and return to base to upgrade your arsenal. Very STALKER like. The enemy AI is also randomized a bit so you have quite a bit of variation every time you go out and hunt. The map is quite large, a re-designed and re-skinned version of the Library level from Metro 2033. The layout of the map is not linear as you explore and discover alternative routes etc. Plus you have to manage your gas mask (very limited comparing to the main game), ammo and money.

This whole level feels like the underground labs of STALKER SOC. Due to the randomized placement of the mutant AI, some encounters are quite intense and scary.

I hope this is where the 4A guys are taking the Metro franchise. Hopefully with more memory from the next-gen consoles, those 4A guys can finally make a semi-open-world rogue-like Metro/STALKER hybrid.
So, this is the ranger section. How it is the nazi and red sections?

Nazi section is basically shit Call of Duty: Metro, but with infinite-ammo minigun. And I love miniguns.

Red section is a stealth section, with retarded AI and recycled map from Metro 2033. You get to use the completely awesome(TM) Russian VKS sniper rifle though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Nazi section is basically shit Call of Duty: Metro, but with infinite-ammo minigun. And I love miniguns.

I don't understand 4A fascination with turret sections, Metro 2033 and Last Light already had surpassed my quota of them. I guess it is to fullfill the "must be like CoD" sections quota to please the publisher.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The stupid minigun mission might be a little fun if it wasn't 400x more demanding than any other part of the game and didn't melt my PC. I haven't played any of the DLC missions all the way through, since I just got my PC back in working order and had other games I wanted to play more, but the stealth and Stalkery missions have more promise to them.

I like that the stealth mission, even though the AI is still lacking, relies on the openness of the environment and the demand for total stealth. I was thinking the opening segment was just going to be your spotter telling you whom to shoot and in what order, but in actuality he was just an actual spotter who provided a little advice, and I had to actually search out all the targets to make sure I wasn't missing any or leaving my kills visible. The level design felt really nice too, as I was able to reach pretty much any place I could see, and enemies didn't feel so arbitrarily placed for stealth kills. I think it's at least a step in the right direction, and it would probably be perfect given a buff in AI perceptiveness.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

After giving up on 2033 after a few hours I installed this to give it a try. Unfortunately it follows the same pattern of 10ish minutes of FPS broken up by 5-10 minutes of scripted events/non-combat segments. The Nazi area was interesting because you could stealth it but unless it gets a lot better after that I doubt I'll finish this one, either. Looks pretty maxed out but... that's all you're doing most of the time: looking.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
As far as I remember the scripted sequences aren't as many or as obnoxious after the first few hours, but I might just be misremembering. I also tried playing it again recently and gave up partway through the beginning because of the ridiculous amount of scripted sequences.

Some of the DLC are quite fun, though. I had a lot of fun with the scavenger hunt DLC where you have to return to the surface to hunt for various items and in turn use the money you gain from it for buying equipment and other supplies.

DeepOcean

Arcane
:necro:

After giving up on 2033 after a few hours I installed this to give it a try. Unfortunately it follows the same pattern of 10ish minutes of FPS broken up by 5-10 minutes of scripted events/non-combat segments. The Nazi area was interesting because you could stealth it but unless it gets a lot better after that I doubt I'll finish this one, either. Looks pretty maxed out but... that's all you're doing most of the time: looking.
Later, the game let you explore a little bit, there is a big section on a swamp that is "open" and the best part of the game. There is dead city, you explore some city ruins too that are kinda interesting and offer "exploration" oportunities. There is a section later where you have a rail car that you can control and stop to explore side areas along the line. Those sections are kinda fun to play.If you survive the boredom of fighting the blind and stupid human Ai. It is a pity that the story never manage to be interesting.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
They should give people who only own the base game half price off and people who own the base game + all DLC should get it completely free. Charging for some optimizations is kinda bullshit.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I still have the unopened physical case lying on my table... maybe I'm just too old for this shit, because I just dry-run it in my head and then don't care.

The filters alone are a deal-breaker... forcing timers as a "legit" part of the environment doesn't make them any less retarded.

I miss the time when we had some games that were unique in some way.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not surprising considering they charge for a difficulty mode. Anyway, got the first game for a buck or so, the second was gifted to me. Mediocre at best, no chance I buy 's00per new engine' mode. I'm sure they'll make tons of cash from idiots, though.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
There is no way the xb1 or ps4 could run "non-reduxed" versions of these games on medium settings, so in this case enhanced can only mean BFG-ified.

You guys ALSO realize that this is PRIMARILY being released to be put on the XBOX ONE and PS4, right? Neither game is on the new consoles, especially 2033, Last Light came before as well, so they reduxed it so they'd be up to the "next gen console standard". PC just got put in as well because they thought 'why not?' on it, it'd bring in more money from people buying it on the next gen consoles AND PC players who want an even further upgraded look and feel to the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/287390/announcements/detail/1371656528358846367

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I got both Metros at a (not reasonable enough, in hindsight) discount, but fuck if I'm ever giving my money to these greedy assholes again. Unless it's in a bundle with 8 shovelware indies.

DeepOcean

Arcane
People that already own those games and buy those "redux" versions publishers are selling lately should pick a 9 mm pistol, aim at the head and pull the trigger so their genes don't pass on the next generation.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think I will bite for the 2033 Redux, since I've got some Steambux buildup again, and it's $12.50 for people who already own the original. I would like to see if it's actually been polished in a way that does justice to the original's really good parts.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steambux isn't free. It's money. Money you could spend on other games that aren't cash-grab ripoffs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
At least with the first game they're doing something to it, changing the engine and shit. I wouldn't pay for it but it doesn't scream cash grab from dumbasses the way the second game does.

Angthoron

Arcane
If only CDPR thought of this move first, why, they'd all have private jets by now with all the updated editions they've pushed out for free.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well, it's a downgrade all right. I made a deterring post on the Steam forum with this information about the 2033 Redux:

So far, I'm a little shocked at how much basic functionality was removed, and how some design decisions that people criticized in Last Light were added in this version of 2033 anyway.

The field of view is extremely narrow, and the r_base_fov command that was patched into LL doesn't do anything. Perhaps it will be patched into the game in a few days in this case too?*

The X and Y axes for mouse sensitivity are on a fixed ratio. No matter how high you set it, looking up and down is slower than looking left and right.

Cutscenes are no longer skippable, which is a shame, because I'm not a fan of the writing in these games at all, and it makes multiple playthroughs a slog.

The regular PC game weapon list is gone in favor of the D-pad selection system in LL. Admittedly, I prefer to have the melee attack bound to its own key, but there was no reason to throw away a system for explosives that worked much better for people who play with a keyboard and mouse. The only way you can select which throwable weapon you want to use is by holding down a key and making a mouse gesture, which is inefficient compared to using a number key or scroll wheel to select exactly what you want.

Also, in the highest difficulty level, just like in LL, you still can't see the UI that's supposed to appear when you hold down the button mentioned above, meaning that you have to start the game at a lower setting and memorize which gesture selects which throwable weapon, if you're really so adamant about playing hard. Are the publishers and other decision makers so literally blind that they can't see the effect that a lack of UI would have on a gesture-based weapon selection system?

*The field of view command turned out to work after I wrote this. Then the field of view reverted back to its original narrowness when I played it again this morning.

Sodafish

Arcane
The Redux versions of both games are fucked and crash to desktop after the intro vids. There's a 500+ comment thread on the steam forums about this.

Gud jerb 4A :kfc:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good. Anyone dumb enough to pay for such a ripoff deserved to get screwed.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Make your highly scripted popamoles look slightly different (arguably worse) than they did at launch, only 20€ !!

fattydrink.gif

"This is not a simple patch, they totally changed the engine guyz so this is actually a real bargain."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom