Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Does anyone know of something ruining an entire hobby and the industry around it as much as the shitbox did? I don't like Linux but i'd be tempted to switch over if somebody comes up with some kind of Windows emulator (fuck Wine) so i can play any of the classic games (up to 2001 circa) Dosbox can't handle. I really don't do much with my PC this days and the only thing keeping me on windows is the library of classic games and the fact i'm not too impressed with the current Linux distros.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know of something ruining an entire hobby and the industry around it as much as the shitbox did? I don't like Linux but i'd be tempted to switch over if somebody comes up with some kind of Windows emulator (fuck Wine) so i can play any of the classic games (up to 2001 circa) Dosbox can't handle. I really don't do much with my PC this days and the only thing keeping me on windows is the library of classic games and the fact i'm not too impressed with the current Linux distros.

It will take Microsoft releasing Win 3.1 into the wild for a WinBox to really get started. Might happen eventually, but if there's one scrap of code in Win 3.1 still used today then some suit wearing bastard in Microsoft is going to say it's a bad idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/12/former-steam-boss-quietly-exits-microsoft-after-six-months/

Oh Microsoft you just keep driving talent away. How fucking awful must this company be with all this high turn-over going on?

Ahahahaha, just one day after this interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/11/microsoft-really-really-is-into-pc-this-time-apparently

They even asked about the guy.

Now he's at Oculus: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/05/steam-boss-joins-oculus/

Martius

Liturgist
So pc drivers for xbox one pad are available from today and Capcom announced pc version of Dead Rising 3. Coincidence?

set

Cipher
Probably not. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Microsoft tactic. Kind of shady they don't just announce partnerships and deals they make.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/13/58...why-microsoft-didnt-bring-windows-games-to-e3
Spencer explains why Microsoft didn't bring Windows games to E3

Microsoft didn't really hold a press conference this week during E3, Xbox did.

While the company hosted the press conference, we didn't hear a thing about games for Windows phone or Windows PC gaming, a fact that wasn't missed by Xbox head Phil Spencer.

"I'm head of gaming at Microsoft," Spencer said. "When we're doing gaming strategy, gaming focus inside the company, that's my job. I think in a lot of ways, you could argue gaming on Windows has never been more healthy in that the biggest of the big franchises, League of Legends, World of Tanks, those things dwarf a lot of what we're doing in this console space in terms of users and monetization. They're all on PC."

But that doesn't mean they're necessarily a good fit for E3, he said.

"E3's a retail show," he said. "It's a retail show, it's a console show, so it didn't really feel like the right place for us to talk about Windows, but Windows and gaming on Windows is critical to Microsoft's success."

If E3 isn't the right place, I asked, then what is?

"Well they do these huge world championship events and they fill up arenas," he said. "I do think there could be a space there.

"For us, E3 is a console show and an Xbox show, and for us as Microsoft, Xbox is our gaming brand, and it's the thing we can fill an arena like this, we get millions of people to watch us on TV and we show our games and it's a brand that people care about."

lol wut

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He's not exactly wrong because it is a retailer and console focused show. However it's a retailer and console focused show because they design it that way, and he is someone who could easily steer it other directions if he wanted to.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

you're not a very good jew; if m$ puts both their xbone and their PC business to display at E3 they compete against themselves. plus, that xbox vs ps battle is still being fought, diverting even more attention away from the xbox isn't gonna help their case.

obviously m$ has enough money and force to turn E3 into anything they fucking want.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
you're not a very good jew; if m$ puts both their xbone and their PC business to display at E3 they compete against themselves. plus, that xbox vs ps battle is still being fought, diverting even more attention away from the xbox isn't gonna help their case.

Microsoft is also in a battle to keep Windows relevant with people switching to tablets, smart phones, Macbooks and SteamOS. They've said they're going to focus more on PC, and it makes sense for them to.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Microsoft is also in a battle to keep Windows relevant with people switching to tablets, smart phones, Macbooks and SteamOS. They've said they're going to focus more on PC, and it makes sense for them to.
What are we going to do tonight Balmer?

The same thing we do every night, promise to focus on PC gaming.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I think they're honest, I just think they suck at it. Honestly their first-party Xbox stuff has been pretty shit for a while now too.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

balmer doesn't sail the ship anymore, son. nadella's at the wheel now.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think they're honest, I just think they suck at it. Honestly their first-party Xbox stuff has been pretty shit for a while now too.
There was a neogaf thread where they documented Microsoft promising to focus on PC gaming every year since 2006.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There was a neogaf thread where they documented Microsoft promising to focus on PC gaming every year since 2006.

I'm just saying other than Halo and Gears of War I don't think we've missed out on much at all. I don't think they're lacking in support outside of that, I just don't think they have much to offer. They say "well port Fable 3 I guess, I dunno" because what else can they do? This year it's Dead Rising 3.

tuluse

Arcane
If Microsoft is serious about their PC foucs, they should revive all their RTS powerhouse studios instead of reselling 15 year old games on steam for a fortune. :negative:
And bring back the sidewinder.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
If Microsoft is serious about their PC foucs, they should revive all their RTS powerhouse studios instead of reselling 15 year old games on steam for a fortune. :negative:

I feel bad for you if $20 is a "fortune."
It's a fortune considering the game's are all > 10 years old and they dumb them on steam with minimal changes and also bug ridden.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'm just saying other than Halo and Gears of War I don't think we've missed out on much at all.

Considering that these two pretty much set the norm for this whole console generation, if Microsoft indeed puts it heart (and money) into PC gaming, for better or worse, it probably also will shape the norm for PC gaming for a whole generation.

Morkar Left

He, what do you guys complain about EA not caring about pc gaming? With Win 8 you have game apps now!

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Asphalt 8 and Kinectimals Unleashed are really good games on Windows 8.

(with Cheat Engine)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom