Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Because good things only come to those who upgrade. :shill:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the world has moved on since Microsoft tried this before. PC sales are flat. With Steam, you can run Linux, Windows OR Apple and still access your games. Microsoft is (once again) pushing folks to run a homogeneous system.

Why the fuck are the requirements for Gears Ultimate so high when it runs on Gears 1 engine? Fuck you Microsoft.

Microsoft is going to be selling games as a service (article from March 1st Xbox Spring Showcase)
The game’s devs were more forthcoming about what the heck Apex actually is: a free-to-play “curated” version of Forza 6 launching solely on Windows 10. Meaning, you’re only getting “over 60” racecars and six racecourse environments. One third of those cars are unlocked for all players for free, while the rest must be earned by collecting in-game medals. Players can earn medals by completing both primary and secondary conditions in the game’s events, ranging from completing a number of perfect passes to finishing the event with certain assists disabled to reaching a certain top speed, and so on.
That is, they want you to play their games for free, then pay to unlock more. The games MUST look better than games on Steam, so the ridiculous requirements. I mean, if the games required only 4GB of RAM and a 1GB video card, well, why would anyone move to the Microsoft platform? Although I am puzzled: why would Microsoft create that big of a difference between Xbox and PC versions of the same game?[/spoiler]

tormund

Arcane
There was an image showcasing the original plans for the AoE series. AoE 1 to 3 happened pretty much as planned, but 4 to 6 were meant to explore other eras of history. Kind of like Empire Earth. AoE 6 was futuristic and featured a guy who looked a lot like the Halo space marine.
New AoE is a given at this point.

I wonder if the success of AoE and AoM "remasters" was one of the reasons for them going for this GFWL 2.0 shit to begin with. It was already weird that they just suddenly stopped rereleasing their older PC games on Steam, despite those cheap shoddy remasters being Steam bestseller and they themselves claiming how they were pleasantly surprised by their sales. It now looks like they got the wrongest possible message from that success.

pippin

There was an image showcasing the original plans for the AoE series. AoE 1 to 3 happened pretty much as planned, but 4 to 6 were meant to explore other eras of history. Kind of like Empire Earth. AoE 6 was futuristic and featured a guy who looked a lot like the Halo space marine.
New AoE is a given at this point.

I wonder if the success of AoE and AoM "remasters" was one of the reasons for them going for this GFWL 2.0 shit to begin with. It was already weird that they just suddenly stopped rereleasing their older PC games on Steam, despite those cheap shoddy remasters being Steam bestseller and they themselves claiming how they were pleasantly surprised by their sales. It now looks like they got the wrongest possible message from that success.

I don't think so. For Microsoft, Halo is the only game that matters.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
SteamOS looked like it was dead in the water, but Microsoft is doing what they can to give it another chance.

DeepOcean

Arcane
SteamOS looked like it was dead in the water, but Microsoft is doing what they can to give it another chance.
Yeah, SteamOS... my reaction was "WTF is this shit Valve?" then Microsoft wants to make a store where you don't even fucking can find the .exe file of your games and I wouldn't be surprised with it doesn't even having an offline mode. Good job Microsoft, the last time you guys got right was on Windows 95.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Microsoft is one of those guys that has his fingers up in his ears and goes: yada yada yada, i am awesome.

They genuinly dont seem to know that their userbase hated them for ages, windows users in the 90s where
like convinced that apple was awesome & that they just used windows cuz games or office..... Not knowing that
Systems 7-7.5 where utter shit... MS gained some "fans" over x-bawx and win7 but they really dont seem
to know what got them their fans.

Their Phones are shit because they try to copy apple... not knowing that even apple fans hate the hassle of
itunes and co. They dont understand that "candy crush shoppers" arent really gamers, and even people
that spend some money on stupid F2P shit hate it.

In short they dont know what people want & cant lay of corporate greed for even 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
Yeah, SteamOS... my reaction was "WTF is this shit Valve?" then Microsoft wants to make a store where you don't even fucking can find the .exe file of your games and I wouldn't be surprised with it doesn't even having an offline mode. Good job Microsoft, the last time you guys got right was on Windows 95.

What was the problem with XP (besides DOS incompatibility)?

pippin

Yeah, XP was p.gud and it got better with time. It took me a while to update from my win98 pc to that one though. Still, it was way better than other crap like Windows Me,or Windows 2000.Do you guys even remember that shit? I think my uncle had WinME on his pc for a while, it felt slow as fuck. Also one ofmy parent's friends told me to his surprise that it was fucking impossible for them to install Me on some school pcs, and they had to delete fucking everything.exe to install Win XP. They obviously used official products, which was fucking hilarious.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Windows 2000 was great, what the hell are you talking about.

Windows 1995-1998 was really a breakthrough for Microsoft, and 2000 was their last great system. I never had ME so i don't know how shitty it really was, and XP had certain things that i didn't like about it. Plus, it took two whole service packs to make it really good.

And then Vista came and the rest is history. Part of my animosity for Linux stems precisely from the fact i really can't stand Microsoft anymore, but i'm stuck with it because everybody keeps coming up short. And i really dread the day when Windows 7 is not going to cut it anymore because i don't see any real alternative coming up either.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

Windows 1995-1998 was really a breakthrough for Microsoft, and 2000 was their last great system. I never had ME so i don't know how shitty it really was, and XP had certain things that i didn't like about it. Plus, it took three whole service packs to make it really good.
Service Pack 3 fixed some huge problems with XP, most of all big security problems.

And then Vista came and the rest is history. Part of my animosity for Linux stems precisely from the fact i really can't stand Microsoft anymore, but i'm stuck with it because everybody keeps coming up short. And i really dread the day when Windows 7 is not going to cut it anymore because i don't see any real alternative coming up either.
I think with stagnant PC sales and cloud based services that favor platform independence (both OS and hardware) Microsoft can't push the market like they could in the past. Corporate workstations are starting to get fragmented and it's not going to slow down. Steam is in a very good position with offering games on all platforms.

If you want to see how well this will do, ask yourself: how is that Windows phone doing? How many apps are available for it?

Alex

Arcane

The problem with XP is hardware. Once you go beyond 2GB Ram XP can not recognize the extra resource. Which is the spec of a decade ago. Nowaday everybody and his dog has more resource than that and XP cant run them.

Do I have it right Crispy ?

Well, sure, but that only came later. It is an annoyance, but it only became relevant once XP was pretty old.

Windows 1995-1998 was really a breakthrough for Microsoft, and 2000 was their last great system. I never had ME so i don't know how shitty it really was, and XP had certain things that i didn't like about it. Plus, it took three whole service packs to make it really good.
Service Pack 3 fixed some huge problems with XP, most of all big security problems.

(snip...)

Oh, right, I remember that now. Every other week there would be some annoying malware infecting the PC. That was a pretty big annoyance.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
My biggest wish is for Microsoft to go apeshit with the DRM.

If they can manage to piss of half of the world and especially Russians that will hack, crack and unleash their botnets that they have from stupid americans that click on Nigerian princes with Internet Explorer we may see finally the fall of Windows for good and the rise of Linux.
I hope Valve is smart and starts procuring "white hats" to increase their "security".

Cyber World War. I am ready for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom