Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mini-review

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This is one of the few games (especially single character games) where the combat gets better the longer you play. Just playing the demo i kind of really wasn't a fan of the combat, but it is far from being bad. I also didn't like that I didn't have direct control of my stats, but you kind of do. A character creation would've been nice, but all in all this game is one of the best games I've played. Very original ideas and content, or old ideas with a twist implemented well. Some nice money sinks, (at least where i am in the game) I still don't have mounds of gold. And even though some battles are really easy, most of them are just right and some are very challenging.

I'm very suprised more U7 fans aren't more fanatic about this game seeing as it is like u7 with better combat, less gayness, and a better setting. Definitely one of my smarter purchases.

Ladonna

Arcane
Underrated game big time.

Buy it already Roqua, you will be glad you did. Its one of those 'Never see another like it again' games that is actually good to play. I wish Wolf Mittag and Jeff Vogel swapped places.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ladonna said:
I wish Wolf Mittag and Jeff Vogel swapped places.

:!:

That might be good. I'm currently playing Geneforge. The writing pretty much sucks and there's not many ways of playing your role, apart from a leadership stat, though maybe I haven't played enough yet. [I was, however, positively surprised when I could avoid a tough battle by use of the mechanics skill]. However, it's full of tough choices you have to make, which is definitely good, not to mention the story which is quite okay.

If Jeff took a little bit from Wolf [Wolf makes some -great- quests, much more complex than Jeff's [in GF 1 so far (Fetch this! Kill that!)] and Wolf a bit from Jeff they could make some mean game together. Not to mention that Wolf's game looks positively gorgeous, though I wish one could see more.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ladonna said:
Underrated game big time.

Buy it already Roqua, you will be glad you did. Its one of those 'Never see another like it again' games that is actually good to play. I wish Wolf Mittag and Jeff Vogel swapped places.

I bought it a while ago. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm on my third swing through it (or mostly through it).

Higher Game

Arcane
Roqua said:
I'm very suprised more U7 fans aren't more fanatic about this game seeing as it is like u7 with better combat

Yep.

Roqua said:
less gayness, and a better setting.

Does not compute.

Jasede said:
That might be good. I'm currently playing Geneforge. The writing pretty much sucks and there's not many ways of playing your role, apart from a leadership stat, though maybe I haven't played enough yet. [I was, however, positively surprised when I could avoid a tough battle by use of the mechanics skill]. However, it's full of tough choices you have to make, which is definitely good, not to mention the story which is quite okay.

Geneforge gets bonus points for being in an original world, however, there are not that many historical RPGs out there, so it's debatable which game is more creative. Geneforge's simple writing seems more to appeal to the young and to non-native English speakers, admittedly, but the game has some well developed plots, philosophy, and other stuff expected in RPGs.

As for character planning, there is plenty of variance. Diplomat, heavy summoner, heavy magician, light summoner with range (magic or missile) backup, light summoner who melees, pure melee (for challenge), stealthy vs aggressive, loads of tactical items and wands, and so on. Of course, doing stuff like overloading the crystal to blow away the spawner is in there, too. :lol:

It's somewhat combat heavy, but the combat is so balanced (and often avoidable), it's hard to find much fault with it. It's certainly not a jRPG or roguelike grind.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Geneforge's simple writing seems more to appeal to the young and to non-native English speakers, admittedly, but the game has some well developed plots, philosophy, and other stuff expected in RPGs.

In order not to be a hypocrate I realy can't slam the writing of most people, especially the bi-lingual, when I tear up my native tongue.

But I thing the game does very well trying to capture the speach and mentallity of the people of this culture (or cultures). What I like about this game is that it is neccesary to read what people are saying, and after reading what they are saying you get more involved in the plot, and the story etc, sucks you in.

But, unlike in most games, you don't have to go around and talk with everyone. This is much more realistic. So when I get to a new place my heart doesn't sink when I have 50k people to talk to. This game is much more enjayable becuase its made to be semi-realistic and plays out that way. No need to search every nook and crany, or talk to everyone so you don't miss anything. Just pay attention when you do talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom