Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Missing isn't fun or how I failed statistics at high school and blamed D&D for it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Whaaa... so the 70 % thc means its a completely random generator of numbers between 1 and 10? :lol:

That makes sense.

No wait... "throw a 10-sided dice, if you score 8, 9 or 10 you miss, otherwise you hit".
Ok so... out of ten tries, how many times i would hit? :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, generate the number between 1 and 100 but you'll have to do it 100 times to get a sample. As you wish.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ill get a sample of what? Random numbers between 1 and 100? So... 70THC means.... ill get random numbers as a result? :lol:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How old are you again? That's not directly related to the previous conversation. :lol:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No? How not? Explain, being such an older guy and all it should be easy. Or you just got lost and cant come up with anything better but to be a dumbfuck to avoid answering.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Now that doesnt have anything to do with the previous conversation. But it has everything with you being a dumbfuck who cant explain what i asked you and you cant even explain what you said yourself.

Don't mind me, just posting a fellow Codexer's thoughts on the depraved state of RPG mechanics.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
There is a problem explaining a television set to someone with no concept of electricity... or in this case someone who would proclaim it "devil magic!", and not give a damn what explanation was given.

You don't want the answer; and I suspect that (though you could understand it) that you could not understand why it's valued.

See... You look at it as if you attack 10 times, some of them are wasted time—because some random number says you miss.
The point of the system is to reflect the skill of the character in their situation—that's not you; that's them, and they are not perfect.

Even if they have 99% skill, they are not perfect—they can fail. If the percentage is very low, then they fail a lot. It means that their skill is unreliable. It's the difference between two thieves trying to break into a door before the guard returns. The novice is unlikely to have an easy time of it, while the expert is —even still— not guaranteed to manage it, but is reasonably confident in their ability, and most likely will pick the lock in the time they have.

This simulates characters in situ. It's a superb system—but not for those on an empowerment trip. RPGs are about character limitations; not about digital costuming. They plausibly reflect the limits of the character, and percentile skill rolls do a fairly good job of it. I cannot recall ever seeing a better system [in general premise].

Part of the issue is that even today, games cannot (or at least do not) fully illustrate every action of the character. It would be different if the game fully animated the failures, missed strikes, trips, fumbles, and accidental injuries right along side of the successes and critical strikes that the percentile results represent... but they don't. Yet even if they did, it would STILL have to rely either on random percentile, or calculated physics—plus a bit of random chance. In the sense that the game would calculate a miss because the player put the PC in a position that they stepped on a rock and slipped while attacking; or that they were just out of range when the button as clicked.

But this too has a several problems—not least of which that no developer could profit for including that kind of extreme detail, and also that it likely isn't much fun to BE the cause of their failures—this outright contradicts roleplaying by handicapping the character due to player ineptness... Like The Witcher Gerralt, or Bruce Lee getting beat up by villagers, because the player can't manage the controls well enough to fight at their assumed level.

People play RPGs to run different characters [quite often very different than themselves], some roles are experts at skills they know little of. In such cases the percentile system represent's the character's superior ability, where the player indicates to pick the lock, and the master thief does it —just like that— (because they are a master thief... with years of experience that put the odds in their favor for what is to them a rote task; and the same goes for a gladiator who has spent years surviving death duals—"oh... a bar fight, okay, just let me finish my drink").

It protects from the reverse: It ensures that the player cannot though personal skill at the game or specialized knowledge... aid the character—who might have no clue how to pick a lock, or handle a group of hostile thugs... Such a character is likely to fail—and that is by design...or they make a damn luck escape.... also by design.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Now that doesnt have anything to do with the previous conversation. But it has everything with you being a dumbfuck who cant explain what i asked you and you cant even explain what you said yourself.
Retarded it is then! :D

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Retarded it is then! :D
It is. You react and think just like one. A pathetic disgraceful stupid retard and you didnt fail to present just that.

All in moronic all consuming butthurt, obviously trying to change the subject because you are too fucking stupid to explain what you thought you can.

And sony, no amount of rating you desperately "give me" change any of that. In fact that too just exposes how fucking stupid and low you are. A shallow imbecile with very short capacity to hold or even understand a conversation.

Glop_dweller

Was that aimed at me?
Because if it is... you should have read more before jumping to those delusional assumptions.

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
And sony, no amount of rating you desperately "give me" change any of that. In fact that too just exposes how fucking stupid and low you are. A shallow imbecile with very short capacity to hold or even understand a conversation.
No need to bring Sony into this.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its almost funny seeing these self proclaimed "experts" who claim to understand it fully simply fail to provide anything but the obvious superficial descriptions.

But when any question is asked about that, they immediately implode into retardation and idiotic proclamations of "oh you just dont udnerstaaaan it" kind and try to establish their "seniority" as if that proves their non arguments. The lowest of internet arguments cliches. Exactly like that imbecile in BG thread. Its a pattern, eh?

no, i said it because its just a fact, which does not matter in this argument one way or another.
The behavior of awesome button is the very example of childish butthurt retardation.

Funposter

Arcane
70% thc means "throw a 10-sided dice, if you score 8, 9 or 10 you miss, otherwise you hit". Go to a random number generator on the internet (type "random number generator", and google has one) and generate a random number between 1 and 10. Let's see if it's under 8 in 7 out of 10 times. Experiment.
This is total bullshit. I just did the experiment and only got 70 or less on a d100 68 times out of 100. Debunked! :mad:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like browser ate stuff, and it didn't get posted. But normal distribution is quite bad in game development. Flat distribiution might be passable when person knows what he's doing.

Game development uses 3D6 as triangle distribution where extremes are less likely. And attributes tend to be stats in exponential space.

Now the XCOM problems are coming from low granularity, and from close space. Low granularity means the probability is not after small amount of time, but it's (in theory) sum of multiple shots. Damage should be sum of multiple shots as well. They didn't invent system that well, and it has faults. If the space will be far bigger, these shots would be completely fine, enemy will not be in melee in two turns max, soldiers would be able to shot multiple times, and then chance 9/10 do or die, would change to 7/10 you have multiple attempts on that shot.
Of course then XCOM missions would be FAR slower.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
70% thc means "throw a 10-sided dice, if you score 8, 9 or 10 you miss, otherwise you hit". Go to a random number generator on the internet (type "random number generator", and google has one) and generate a random number between 1 and 10. Let's see if it's under 8 in 7 out of 10 times. Experiment.
This is total bullshit. I just did the experiment and only got 70 or less on a d100 68 times out of 100. Debunked! :mad:

Wait! That means... when i said i should hit 7 out of 10 times (which i used for simplicity purposes and because thats relatively about how many shots you get in a single fight)... i was right?

Well fuck me sideways, isnt that a surprise?

And yet, when i say that, the awesome retard and several others told me i am wrong and dont know what electricity is.
Gee, could that maybe mean those special few individuals didnt even understand what i am saying at all? And somehow came to glorious idea i am arguing something i am actually not? WoW, what a shock.

I would never expect that on the KKK...cretin codex.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Wait! That means... when i said i should hit 7 out of 10 times (which i used for simplicity purposes and because thats relatively about how many shots you get in a single fight)... i was right?

And yet, when i say that, the awesome retard and several others told me i am wrong and dont know what electricity is.
Gee, could that maybe mean those special few individuals didnt even understand what i am saying at all? And somehow came to glorious idea i am arguing something i am actually not? WoW, what a shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
:lol: here it is again.

Why did you post that? Are you under some impression i am arguing against or that variance doesnt exist or.... whatever the fuck you just failed at?

Seriously, why? And why post just the link without any further clarification? Is that some kind of instinct for self preservation kicking in? "Dont say anything in case it turns out to be stupid?" or another variations of "im so smuuurt, if you udnerstood anything you would udnerstand dis... durrr" Im not certain thats the reason, im just guessing.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, so i was right there too. Another brainless and actually butthurt kkkcretin. Nice job of hitting yourself in the face there.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's not as accurate but I generally got 6-8 out of 10 results in the "hit" range when I was testing with 1-10 out of 10.

Edit: The point is of course that this result is not in any way guaranteed. It's just the average chance. That's what the coin toss example illustrates.

AwesomeButton

Patron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance
I'd say he should start a little ways back, from here. And then count the marbles: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pr...asic-prob-precalc/v/basic-probability?modal=1

Codex Year of the Donut
A proper AC port to computer should make AC a % DR, change my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom