Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mmmm... New Space RPG.

Deathy

Liturgist
Tags: Malfador Machinations; Space Empires: Starfury

<a href="http://malfador.com">Malfador Machinations</a>, the creators of the Space Empires series of space strategy games, have announced <a href="http://www.malfador.com/starfury/starfury.html">Space Empires: Starfury</a>, a space RPG, which seems to be in a similar vein to the Star Control series. Not much on their <a href="http://www.malfador.com/starfury/starfury.html">official site</a> except for a feature list and some <a href="http://www.malfador.com/starfury/sfpics.html">screenshots</a>.
<br>
<blockquote><UL>
<br>
<li>24bit 3D real-time rendered graphics.
<br>
<li>Support for resolutions 1024x768 and up.
<br>
<li>Freeform structure: Follow the given missions, or perform your own as a merchant, mercenary, or pirate.
<br>
<li>Detailed ship configuration through components.
<br>
<li>12 different ship classes from different races you can command. More than 50 starships and starbases to battle!
<br>
<li>Dozens of star systems for you to explore.
<br>
<li>A living breathing universe with events happening all over the galaxy.
<br>
<li>Encounter and battle your favorite races from Space Empires IV in ship to ship combat.
<br>
<li>Complete game customization allowed by players ("mods").
<br>
<li>Discover: Warp Points, Nebulae, Binary Stars, Trinary Stars, Asteroid Belts, Gas Giants, Cosmic Storms, and more!
<br>
</ul></blockquote>
<br>
So far, it looks pretty good, but that's probably the Space Empires fanboy in me thinking that.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Sounds like fun, but the word "missions" has me worried about the RPG-ness of the game.

In space CRPGs, typically they call "quests", "missions". Basically, someone contacts you, and offers you a job. You do it, they pay you.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:
In space, no one can hear you quest.

J

I bet you can hear in space in this game, though. :D

Even Babylon 5, which used physics more than most sci-fi, still allowed you to hear things in space.

Jed

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:
I bet you can hear in space in this game, though. :D
Yeah, the soundtrack!
Even Babylon 5, which used physics more than most sci-fi, still allowed you to hear things in space.
So little sci-fi gets physics right. I never watched that show very much, though my little brother and I adapted some of our personal slang from some of Bab5's character aesthetics: We refer to a balding man as having a "space-age haircut."

J

Section8

Cipher
Well, true to physics or not, Audio-Visual experiences tend to be much more compelling than plain visual experiences.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Section8 said:
Well, true to physics or not, Audio-Visual experiences tend to be much more compelling than plain visual experiences.

That's true, but it's always funny when the Enterprise banks to turn like airplanes have to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom