Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware MMO GAMEDESIGN

MMOs?

• Total voters

Lance Treiber

Educated
First video, it probably looks like an RPG maker project done in 5 minutes, but oh well.

The terrain is made up of cells, and you can only travel from one cell to another, in 8 directions. This isn't ideal in terms of fluidity of movement, but this is important for the game design that I have in mind, so this is the one compromise I'll have to make no matter what. A lot of the mechanics are tied-in with the cell-based terrain, e.g.:
- strategic movement in big fights: you can only occasionally move 1 cell at a time, you can only fight those in adjacent cells, fighters can swap places with a hurt teammate via their "rescue" ability, you cannot pass through cells where other people are (think LA2 in terms on blocking), and other conveniences
- can track people by seeing exactly where they went, because recording this info into cells is easy

Also pathfinding is easy for mobs (cpu-wise on the server). Easier to code movement, no prediction/interpolation necessary. And it's more mobile-friendly than non-cell-based terrain for clicking on stuff accurately: only one creature / object per cell, you never miss-click.

Hired an artist to draw attack animations for warrior (shield & sword), rogue (2 daggers), caster (staff) and archer (bow).

This month I'll be waiting for those attack animations and I'll be developing mobs and basic combat (just auto attacks, flying numbers, hit-feedback, etc).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
MMOs end up as inane dumpster fires 9/10 times because they all go for derivative WoW themepark design or they fill the extremely tiny sandbox MMO market and be DOA since people who want those games are already dedicated into something else and it doesn't bring in new players. What are you exactly going for? A grind n' raid 2D WOW clone (shit), Ultima Online clone (dumb) or some mishmash of retarded design of both that will accommodate neither?

As for your questions,

1. No, classes should just have very distinct roles. You shouldn't have classes that step on each other's shoes too much because that will end up in micromanaged, calculated powergaming where there is one "correct" build and the rest is crap. This is why I don't believe in MMOs that go for very hybrid-oriented or freeform class design. Mage classes are extremely difficult to pull off especially, since they usually end up as a subpar midway point between a utility class and a ranged DPS class, when you could either have both or just focused on one.

-Rogue
Horrible idea. It will practically end up as the "griefing class" and you'll have bands of rouges who'll just fuck with other people. This might work if you're making a survival game like Rust or Ark, but not in a MMO.

-Cleric
Whatever. You're making a social only game at this point. If this is even an idea then you're practically sending all the solo players to hell, so feel free to cut that class you were thinking about topside.

-Mage
See above. It'll be a weird midway between utility and ranged DPS, but it will lack in both.

-Ranger
Sounds useless.

Lance Treiber

Educated
You raise some interesting subjects.

On MMOs in general:

MMOs end up as inane dumpster fires 9/10 times because they all go for derivative WoW themepark design or they fill the extremely tiny sandbox MMO market and be DOA since people who want those games are already dedicated into something else and it doesn't bring in new players. What are you exactly going for?
I'm going for a mobile mmorpg, which has a completely different scene than PC mmorpgs.
It's my personal opinion that they lack hardcore mmos and I want to bring them one. Absolutely not sure they actually need one, but we'll see.

As for the PC scene, it's not my intention to discuss it here at length, but I don't believe they have solid sandbox MMOs. World of Darkness was a promise of one, but it wasn't meant to be. And Eve Online is the only solid one, but not for everyone, because not everyone can associate themselves with a ship in space. Also makes social contacts "weird", "distant". Hard to explain.

Ultima Online clone (dumb)
MMOs of that era, which I consider golden era of MMOs, inspire me a lot. UO is one of them.

Mage classes are extremely difficult to pull off especially, since they usually end up as a subpar midway point between a utility class and a ranged DPS class, when you could either have both or just focused on one.
I'm prejudiced in that I love mages more than any other class in D&D, so they're going to both be useful and frag very hard in this game.

But I also intend to make other classes useful in their own unique ways as to make them almost indispensable.

The gist of it is: you have 10 classes and to be a well rounded group of adventurers you need ~8 classes. But you can't have all 10. You'll have to do without at least 4-5, and it'll be challenging in some way. Next time you won't have someone else and the experience will be different. Variety is important. And you'll learn to appreciate every class.

Nowadays you enter a group finder and you don't even care who you've got there with you, one guy will tank, 3 will dps, 1 will heal no matter what class they are. That's not how it used to be, and I think it's a shame that class identities got lost.

Lance Treiber

Educated
On this game's gamedesign:

Items and "builds":
that will end up in micromanaged, calculated powergaming where there is one "correct" build and the rest is crap
I don't have talent trees.

You can reroll for random attributes once in a while in hopes of improving your character, but you'll almost certainly get something suboptimal and the limitations of what you rolled will be unique to you, and thus you'll need gear different from others to compensate for your "low intelligence" as a caster, for example.

And as for itemization, it's a separate subject, but in short you won't be going to the same dungeon over and over again for your best in slot helm. More likely, you'll be struggling to get any helm and will be happy when you find one, and wistful when you lose it.
All mid and end-game items will exist in quantities that depend on server population. So there will be 4, let's say, "Helms of Balduran" on the entire server, no matter how often you kill the mob who drops it.
To get the helm, you can either cast "locate object", find and assassinate one of the owners. Barter with the owner. Or wait till the helmet gets too old, falls apart and respawns in the world (about 3-4 weeks).
So this is why you'll probably settle for something else.

PVP:
-Rogue
Horrible idea. It will practically end up as the "griefing class" and you'll have bands of rouges who'll just fuck with other people. This might work if you're making a survival game like Rust or Ark, but not in a MMO.
Not quite.

If you perform more hostile actions than allocated (not a lot will be allocated by default), your character will become attackable by anyone.
With a full loot drop and ways to track you (ranger can track, some casters can "locate" you), you'll soon die. And when you die, you'll also lose so much XP, it'll physically hurt. Repeat this a couple of times, and you'll lose lot of levels. Lose lot of levels, your character will be basically ruined (XP and stats mechanics are involved).

Griefing is signing your character's death warrant. You can surgically assassinate someone once in a while, but it's always a high risk, medium-to-high reward thing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm going for a mobile mmorpg, which has a completely different scene than PC mmorpgs.
It's my personal opinion that they lack hardcore mmos and I want to bring them one. Absolutely not sure they actually need one, but we'll see.
Because mobile isn't meant for hardcore games. It's simply uncomfortable to play, especially so with a genre so reliant on communication. There is a market for hardcore mobile games, but it's a gap that's already filled by better funded and higher production value 3D Korean and Chinese games, mostly.
MMOs of that era, which I consider golden era of MMOs, inspire me a lot. UO is one of them.
There were like 3 MMOs from that era total. Meridian 59, Everquest and UO.
I'm gonna be honest with you bud, but your game will be deader than Elvis. With zero marketing and a low budget, you really can't hope to make it in such a crowded market with a complex game.
I don't have talent trees.
Cool, good.
You can reroll for random attributes once in a while in hopes of improving your character, but you'll almost certainly get something suboptimal and the limitations of what you rolled will be unique to you
Sounds like an annoying and frustrating system with such a high-commitment mobile game (again, for which there is a small market.)
and thus you'll need gear different from others to compensate for your "low intelligence" as a caster, for example.
Alright, curious about the loot system now. You have two options here, to either hand place and hand craft every piece of loot like it was a themepark game with a certain chance to drop from a certain enemy, or a sort of Realm of the Mad God/Diablo design where you just randomise everything according to XYZ parameters (i.e. leather cap of virilous flames, the leather cap being a generic item that drops from X enemy with Y chance & the virilous and flames being random modifiers that boost your HP and fire magic or somesuch.)
The former is a real pain in the ass to do by hand and the latter is annoying RNG design.
To get the helm, you can either cast "locate object",
Assuming your game will even be populated, (sorry, it probably won't) this will result in online-for-eight-hours-a-day bucket shitters hunting every worthwhile item and lootwhoring all day.

Last edited:

Lance Treiber

Educated
The former is a real pain in the ass to do by hand
I'll do it. BG2-style itemization is what I'm aiming for.
And I'll probably hire help for the areas, because it's not my forte. Items are usually created as part of an area.

I was reading an article recently by a game designer who was looking for a job for 8 months. During that time, he got interviewed 30+ times, and lots of those times he was given tasks to ascertain his skills. Usually it involved creating an area design, some quests, NPC design, etc, or to analyze the game and give his general suggestions on ways to improve it.
He says that most of the stuff that he wrote/suggested was later implemented in those projects, even though he never heard back from those companies.

Indie gamedev is small and finding responsible and qualified experts is hard,... except for "game designers", who are ten a penny.

With zero marketing and a low budget, you really can't hope to make it in such a crowded market with a complex game.
Assuming your game will even be populated, (sorry, it probably won't)

Time for counterexamples.

May I present to you Rucoy Online, a mobile mmorpg made by one indian/brazillian guy from his basement using one tileset he downloaded from torrents bought for $10:
screenshot_1-4586706f374074855a8a1929bf7c9d78a0c0c6f6537e5afb9a5fac98150268c8.png

The game is boring, technologically weak and looks like this.

It's got 5 million installs.

I think I'm going to accept the challenge to make something better :)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
'Fed': Let's take this idea and put it into an MMO.
I see all sorts of problems with that, not impossible though. But if you are talking about PVE, becoming MOBA fed would make the game too easy and it would very quickly get boring. Unless you had some way to reset the player, like if they die, they lose their OP-ness. You would have to make the player head towards some insanely difficult challenge though, otherwise they will never die. Lots of games do that though, like in Quake when you get DOUBLE DAMAGE!!! you run around ganking everyone like a madman but suddenly it wears off and if

In PVP, it isn't fun to be 1 shotted. And even being the fed guy that slaughters everyone can get boring eventually. With MOBAs the matches are always so short that it is never a problem, but in an MMO it would be a big problem. (Being fed for 30 minutes is a lot of fun. Being fed for weeks would lose its appeal). Also even if someone on the other team becomes fed like that, you can still sometimes handle it. Either you just keep well out of the way so you don't die and make matters worse, or you really pull together as a team and take that fed guy down and then you all get so boosted from it, that things become easier the next time.

Also you quickly reach the level limit in a moba, so there is a limit to how OP you can get. In an MMO you would have to make sure a player can't just extend their advantage to the point that they are unstoppable forever.

Let a "Death" mage spell kill anyone with less than 500 HP (tanks having 700-1000, mages 300-400). Let a "SILENCE" cleric spell drop a giant sphere into the room for an hour, and nobody can utter a word while in it.
But let these spells (they're learnable) drop only once or twice a year. Let them also require almost inexistent ingredients.

The guild that farmed this boss (equivalent of feeding a player) may get one of these spells. Now it can wreck havoc, but only if they protect their MVP in a big melee.
That sounds fun but it would be a lot more fun being the MVP king, and less fun being the minion who follows them around spamming heals or whatever. Also a problem with this is that the PVE enemies need to be so powerful that they still pose a challenge to the MVP king and his team. And this will mean that everyone else who isn't the MVP will feel so weak because they can barely even scratch the enemy. I know from experience that being a support in an MMO can become very tiresome eventually. But again it could work if it was done well enough.

Healers in some games got called whack-a-mole gameplay because you spent the whole time watching everyone's HP bar, and when it went down, you quickly target that player and click your heal. It becomes so tedious and mindless after a while, and it also means you don't get to look at the fun because you are so focused on the UI. Vanguard did an amazing job of this by making it so that healers have 2 targets, offensive and defensive. You then start attacking your offensive target and use abilities that trigger heals onto your defensive target. In other words, you heal by fighting, not just standing at the back being bored.

Another thought is that the OP spells have a chance to become meta and cookie cutter if every guild works towards having the exact same OP setup. First we must get the giant sphere that silences a whole room, then we goto x location and do y until rich and satisfied. And everyone does the same thing. But you could avoid that if you bear it in mind.

What do you think? I'd like to hear your ideas on this or where you've seen examples of imbalance that does work.
I've played some MMOs a bit like this. In Shards of Dalaya, the group content is tough for an average typical player. You would go to a dungeon full of skeletons and you would have to make sure you fight them 1 at a time or you are in trouble. Raid gear takes you ahead of that curve, but top end super addicted hardcore nerd players can end up with the best raid gear and in every single slot (and there are 20+ slots). This eventually makes them become like gods, and that player can now go into the same dungeon full of skeletons, but run through it and pull 100 of them at once. Then lead them to a room and blast hell out of them in a big fireworks display or power and uberness. It was incredibly satisfying to watch and even better if you get to that point and can do it for yourself. There was an item called a charm which was basically designed as a money sink. The first one is 500 plat which most people can afford after a while. The second one is 1500 which would take the average player a long time to save up for. But the next one is 10,000 which only super addicts can work towards. But there was also a 50k and a 100k which is kind of unfathomable amounts of money to anyone except that god player with the top end raid gear. But even that guy would need to run through dungeons every night for months to finally afford of those high end charm items. I loved this because it kept top end players in the game and meant that they always had something to work towards. Nothing makes me uninstall a game faster than feeling like I don't have much left to work towards.

Another similar game was Minions of Mirth which lets you run a team of characters within your one main avatar. The game was balanced assuming you have maybe 2 or 3, so most people would have some tank type, a healer, and a dps. But you could have up to 6 characters in your one man party (like a blobber MMO). The downside is that it took a lot more time and effort to get gear and do essential quests for all those characters, and I think exp was split between them too so took longer. But you ended up incredibly powerful if you did put in the effort. I loved that game...

- Rogue class doesn't fit into "raids" in my mind, but it's the only class that can "solo" a lot of content. For solitary players. They can also steal from players (with reservations).
Everquest was a lot like this. The classes actually had difficulty levels in the early days, an Enchanter was very complex to play, and you had to think and act fast or your group died and it was mostly your fault. A lot of pressure. So it was labelled as "High Difficulty". Then you had some basic melee characters like a Rogue and Monk who mostly just stood behind the mob and did some kicks or backstabs and not much else. I thought it was boring but a lot of people preferred to play in a more casual way and it let them take part. And there were some talented players who played these classes too, and instead of being so combat focused like me, they would be more focused on learning other things about the game. These people tended to know more about rare mobs and items and they also got rich because they spent a lot of time trading while I was busy fighting stuff.

Also classes were not balanced to be similar to each other. So some were incredibly powerful at soloing, some were terrible at it. But everyone was great at something and bad at something. The Necromancer was amazing at soloing, most of the spells are damage over time which are mana efficient but take a while to do all their damage. This meant that it wasn't very good in a group because a typical mage type class could just do big nuke direct damage to enemies. A Necro could be good in a group though if you were determined. Some classes just couldn't solo at all, or were very restricted. Cleric for example had no chance, except against undead. But the classes in that game had quite distinct personalities. Very cool.

- Clerics can't damage. No shadow priests bullshit, it only heals, deal with it. You'll be forced to make friends, so it's a social-oriented class. And it makes sense too, as girls often go for support classes and they're often social.
Great. Only a problem if someone else wants to be a healer and picks something that isn't a Cleric and then struggles to find groups because everyone wants a Cleric. But there are solutions to that. Also another problem is people picking classes without knowing how they play. So they pick a Necro and then struggle to get groups because everyone wants a Wizard instead. Etc..

- Mages can cast invisibility and can fly (both lasting for half an hour or until dispelled). Maybe fly freely like in Morrowind (but how will you deal with them without a ranged weapon then?) or they lift off the ground and can fly above water, fire, etc. It still sounds class-defining enough. In WoW you could be invisible for 15 seconds only. Why so short - to tease the player?
Again in EQ you could be invis for hours and you could fly, but it was all balanced. Invis breaks randomly, so it is very tense. Also it breaks if you cast any spell, so it is only for travelling or reaching somewhere in a dungeon. Also undead can see through it. You then have an invis vs undead, but that does not stack with normal invis, so you have to use one invis to get somewhere in a dungeon, then cower in a corner and make sure the coast is clear, and then cast your invis vs undead to get past a bunch of skeletons or whatever.

As for flying, in EQ you floated and would constantly drift downwards all the time. So you could run up a mountain and then you could basically fly over fields and forests but eventually you would be back on the ground. This also meant that you couldn't fly over enemies and kill them without being hit, because you only had maybe 10 seconds of floating out of range before you eventually floated down into range of them. And if you floated up high onto a ledge or something that seemed out of range, the mobs would just warp through the wall and end up on the ledge with you. Not the most elegant solution but it worked perfectly really.

Also the floating downwards would slow down as you moved forwards, so it lasted longer as you travel. But if you stand in one place, you flow down faster. And to cast spells you had to stand still, so basically you couldn't really float above enemies and exploit them because you would stop to cast spells and float downwards faster and in a few seconds you are getting eaten. Also enemies in the game were great, so you find a group of goblins, some would be melee types, some would be rangers shooting arrows at you, and then there would be a few goblin wizards or shamen or something which cast spells on you. So you can't really out range enemies at all in that game. But you can kite things by snaring them and then running away and cast as they slowly approach you. Then you run away again and repeat.

Vanguard (like a more modern EQ) had real flying, and flying mounts etc. But it stopped you from being able to cast spells or abilities while flying.

Shadowbane had real flying too, and no restrictions on combat. The result was lots of AFK players, flying over a group of enemies just spamming spells with a macro. They come back the next day and their character gained lots of levels and money. Not my type of game... But it was interesting to see.

I'd love to hear more ideas in that regard. What should Paladins, Barbarians, etc be able to do exclusively? Something anti-undead comes to mind for paladins, but maybe it's not very useful in a game that doesn't revolve around the undead.
In EQ Paladins had a damage boost against undead. Warriors were straight tanks and damage dealers. Paladins were basically a warrior but with some spells. They had some light heals and buffs, but they also could cast a stun spell almost constantly. The stun only lasted about 2 seconds on the enemy, but if you cast it every several seconds, it really reduces the damage you receive. Also if you time it properly you can use it to stop enemies from casting spells or fleeing. You could get a bunch of ideas from that game, this website has all the info:

https://everquest.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin

Last edited:

Lance Treiber

Educated
But if you are talking about PVE, becoming MOBA fed would make the game too easy and it would very quickly get boring.

Good catch. Actually, I intended to put a dampener on skills in PVE because of that. When talking about an OP character, I was talking about PVP.

A character's skill can go up to 150%. But for the purpose of PVE, the ceiling is 100%. Should solve the problem, if you fine-tune all formulas around this. And it's simple. After observing the Pillars of Eternity fiasco, I made a mental note to make all mechanics simple.

In PVP, it isn't fun to be 1 shotted. And even being the fed guy that slaughters everyone can get boring eventually. With MOBAs the matches are always so short that it is never a problem, but in an MMO it would be a big problem. Also even if someone on the other team becomes fed like that, you can still sometimes handle it. Either you just keep well out of the way so you don't die and make matters worse, or you really pull together as a team and take that fed guy down and then you all get so boosted from it, that things become easier the next time.

For combat speed feel, I was thinking of making it more like HOTS than LoL/Dota. In LoL, you can get nuked within a second. In HOTS, it may take a while, which should leave the victim with more escape options.
"Recall" spells are a thing, fleeing from combat on foot is possible. So a fed character wouldn't exactly instagib anyone, unless he was able to CC someone perfectly for the duration of the combat, which is not guaranteed, since there's always a chance to miss even if you've got 100% accuracy.

If a guy is OP, people should certainly be wary of him. But even in a 1-vs-1 situation, they aren't guaranteed to die if he attacks (and some classes may even put up a good fight). All things considered, I think I'd tune the escape chance to be ~25% (if the victim decides to take that route) against an OP guy on average just go give you a general idea, but it should vary a lot depending on class, personal skill, luck, and other circumstances.
In a many-vs-many situation, there's a lot of intangibles. A fed ADC doesn't always win fights in LoL, even when the team plays around protecting him.

Killing him by a larger group would deprive him of all his gear. Gear should be as important as the character's leveled-up skills. His death would boost the ones who killed him through gear, and it would force him to go away and lick his wounds for a while.

Another thought is that the OP spells have a chance to become meta and cookie cutter if every guild works towards having the exact same OP setup.

I'm trying to remember some OP setups in LoL. I guess there have been a couple of them, like malph + yasuo + miss fortune. Yet they didn't always win all fights. In a mechanically rich system, a good setup is just an advantage, not a guarantee of success. You can get a jump on someone, but the other party has tricks of their own. After a perfect opening, you can flawlessly win the fight, or if the enemy reacts well and is coordinated, an absolute clusterfuck can ensue with unpredictable results.

Ultimately, if some combo really becomes a go-to strategy for everyone, a little balance patch can mix things up. As a player, I always hated balance patches. But as a dev, what else is there to do?

That's pretty much how I see paladins myself, i.e. mostly Fighter with some Cleric abilities, i.e. Lay on Hands and extra stuff vs Undead. I guess most older games were really close to their D&D progenitors.

But that stun-lock ability sounds almost game-breaking. How did it work in PVP?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I really want to play this btw :D The Pally stun thing wasn't very powerful because it only lasts about 2 seconds and there was a several second CD and also a cast time. And a single enemy can take 30+ seconds to kill, even in a group, so the 2 seconds is only really like a micro stun. In a MOBA where people go splat, it would be OP. And in general a Pally's defensive ability wasn't as good as a Warrior, lower AC, lower AGI, etc. So the spells just helped to even it out somewhat. But the stuns are really useful for interrupting spell casters, and when a Cleric mob could completely heal a mob your whole team was desperately trying to kill, then a well timed stun was a big deal! In PVP the stun wasn't that good because players had higher magic resistances than mobs, so the stun would only land half the time. Melee characters generally put a lot of effort into getting the highest magic resistance they could get, so they resist it most of the time, spell casters were strong enough that a little stun every now and then wasn't a problem. Although again, if it was timed well and interrupted your big important spell, it could cause you problems.

PVP in that game was a total afterthought though and was incredibly unbalanced. It was still really fun, and fights were so random it sort of balanced out. For example as a level 30 Necromancer I came up against a level 30 Druid, and he beat me every time. I ended up having to run away and hide from him :C He got a damage over time spell which got a new better version at level 30, so at that particular level, it was unbeatable. So he sneaks through the trees with invis, then casts that spell on me from a distance. And then just runs away, and I am basically screwed. Yet at the same level I got jumped by a Rogue and Paladin and I managed to kill them both! Felt amazing... So you win some, you lose some.

Balance patches are fine imo. People cry about nerfs but there is no other option. Although it is best to try to minimize it by getting as much of it done during beta so that after release things hopefully only require minor tweaks. Also if a game becomes too balanced it can lose a lot of the fun. May as well just play an FPS or something where everyone is the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom