Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

Expon

Scholar
Realtime/Realtime & pause
Cyberlords - Arcology get the ad free version
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition 2
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
KOTOR
The Shadow Sun
Exiled kingdom

Turn based/Blobbers/strategies
Tales of Illyria Fallen Knight
Tales of Illyria The Iron Wall
Tales of Illyria Destinies RPG
The Banner Saga
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall directors cut, also no zoom
Xcom enemy within
Cyber Knights rpg elite
Heroes of steel rpg elite
Templar assault rpg elite
Templar Battleforce RPG
Hardboiled
Warhammer quest
7 mages make sure to buy the whole thing later if you like it
Axe and fate starts out slow, but you get hooked the more you play
The wandroid series
Rencounter
Knights of pen and paper
Kopap2
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Avernum: Escape From the Pit

Jrpg too many to list
Kemco rpg developer
Square enix
Su-attack the light believe in steven
Hyperdevbox developer
Mystery of fortune

Open world/emulators/ports/other
Ppsspp use it for d&d tactics
Drasic
The bards tale
Aralon:sword and shadow
Ravensword shadowlands
Exiles like ravensword with guns
Aralon:forge and flame
9th dawn 1 and 2
Earth and legend
Angel sword like e&l with wings
Dosbox turbo for fallout 1,2 and tactics
Iceblink engine will give it a try later
Snes (use this ) (or this)

Things i left out on purpose
You'll notice i went lazy with the list, there are simply too many of them crowding the playstore

Gemrb
it works well enough with everything i tried excluding planescape, which could be a deal breaker for some. On the bright side unlike the enhanced editions all mods i tried worked. If you really want to give it a try, by all means go ahead

Exagear:rpg
list of compatible games suck, works nice with arcanum though

Mount and blade:warband
not everyone has a sheild and there are too many people who are so anal they wont root. If you have root,gltools and twrp then wing it

Ios devices
Most of these games like kotor are already on ios devices (plus the appstore is a lot less of a jerk to rummage in)

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Expon. You are my hero for posting this! Many of these I already have but I feel that tablets can be a treasure trove for interesting RPGs.

I'll add some more to the list later that might interest you. I've been deeply exploring tablet gaming recently and have made some valuable discoveries.

Deleted Member 16721

For iOs, don't forget Vogel RPGs. Avernum 1 and 2 as well as the Avadon series.

They are out for Android, too. I have both Avernum 1 and Avadon 1 on my Nvidia Shield tablet right now.

Expon

Scholar
You'll notice i went lazy with the list, there are simply too many of them crowding the playstore

For iOs, don't forget Vogel RPGs. Avernum 1 and 2 as well as the Avadon series.
Omigrosh i totally forgot about those, i remember trying them out a while back but got bored. Will update the list

Deleted Member 16721

While RetroArch is cool, I find it a bit of a pain to navigate without a controller. For some reason the menus are unresponsive on my tablet. You have to click several times to enter a sub-menu and basically get lucky for it to work. Very strange.

But they do have a plethora of various options, very deep and complex, possibly overwhelming for some less-inclined to navigate the labyrinth of menu options.

Personally, I just use other specific emulators on my Shield tablet which focus on one game system at a time. Easier for me to manage that way.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
While RetroArch is cool, I find it a bit of a pain to navigate without a controller. For some reason the menus are unresponsive on my tablet. You have to click several times to enter a sub-menu and basically get lucky for it to work. Very strange.

But they do have a plethora of various options, very deep and complex, possibly overwhelming for some less-inclined to navigate the labyrinth of menu options.

Personally, I just use other specific emulators on my Shield tablet which focus on one game system at a time. Easier for me to manage that way.
You can enable the on-screen gamepad in the settings.

Deleted Member 16721

You could also add a blobber/dungeon-crawler called Dungeon Hero.

It's a bit of a more casual game, but it's free with a few in-app purchases, but completely playable without spending a dime!

And it's quite fun to hack up monsters using your thumbs on the screen. :)

Deleted Member 16721

A few more interesting rogue-like style and dungeon crawler RPGs on Android are:

Endless Nights
Endless Depths
Endless Depths 2
Pathos: Nethack
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Quest Hero

and a few others I'm forgetting. Will check my tablet tomorrow and add more.

Nice list, Expon!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Steer clear of anything by Crescent Moon, their games are all crappy Elder Scrolls clones. Earth and Legend is even worse. The Shadow Sun is a meh Dragon Age clone.

Tales of Illyria (from a Codex user) and the Trese Brothers games are good, I hear. 9th Dawn is an okay Ultima + Action RPG type series, Exiled Kingdom is another game by one of our own, haven't heard anything bad about it.

Deleted Member 16721

Tales of Illyria, 9th Dawn and Exiled Kingdoms are all quite good. I especially like Tales of Illyria. Very interesting text-based, party-based RPG.

9th Dawn seems interesting as well, but I'm having a hard time getting over the color scheme. It's just so...brown.

Exiled Kingdoms has a lot of things going for it, including having plenty of features you would expect from a computer role-playing game, only in tablet form. Factions and reptutations, choices and consequences, interesting skill and stat systems, etc.

Mustawd

Also, redshift's The Quest and The Quest Gold are on iOs.

It's like a turn-based Morrowind.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, i have not played the game but Illyria was a goddess/character from Angel the series spin-off from buffy the vampire slayer.

i am one of the biggest fans of buffy/angel you'll ever find so i wholeheartedly approve.

also the first person to paste some google shit about illyria being from something other than Angel is a faggot. whoever made the game was obviously an Angel fan.

this has now put the game on my queue :kingcomrade:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw all four Sorcerer! games are missing from the iOS list

also Sanctuary: Black Edition is missing. i can't remember whether that one was PC/android or just PC. 2 tired 2 google.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
also the list should leave out emulators otherwise the list would have to include every rpg from every emulator and that's nonsense. if the thread has to exist then it should concentrate on informing about ACTUAL rpg's that are made for mobile devices.

Expon

Scholar
Can you list which operating system they are for?
All the links are for the android version of the games, the reason I did not include the ios ones is because the appstore is s lot less of a pain compared to google play.

Expon

Scholar
Developer of sorcerer (ios)
The reason why I included emulators is that most people here would already know which games to play examples
Ds-fighting fantasy or srpgs
Psp-mostly jrpgs hence why I recommend dnd tactics
Snes-that crappy shadwrun game

Wish I could have included more but both both play and the app store are crowded with shovelware with inapp purchases

Even though I don't own a ios device anymore I'll see if I can find some rpg"s for ios users, dont wanna rub em the wrong way.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i dunno i enjoy both console shadowruns more than the newer ones. well ok that's hyperbole; i fucking loved the shit out Dragonfall but was bored to tears by the 1st campaign and the hong kong one.

still the snes/genesis shadowruns are p. good all things considered. someday the translation project for the sega cd shadowrun will get finished (lol yeah right) and we'll also have that one to talk about.

anyway yeah the Sorcerer dev dude is a hard-core Wizardry fan. it's a real pity his games aren't on android; would render Wandroid completely obsolete in the rip-off-Wizardry-not-just-clone-it department.

Mustawd

still the snes/genesis shadowruns are p. good all things considered. someday the translation project for the sega cd shadowrun will get finished (lol yeah right) and we'll also have that one to talk about.

I never played the Sega version, but the SNES was pure garbage. I seriously have a hard time believing people actually enjoyed that game. I mean people would constantly jump out of the bushes and shoot at you while you had to somehow line up and shoot them. It was kind of dumb.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well you have to remember that the pickings weren't slim as far as RPGs go on the SNES, but they were NOT varied. for my younger self RPGs like shadowrun were incredible simply on the merit of not being JRPGs. just to play a game in a different setting like that was enough to guarantee a good time.

also the genesis shadowrun is completely different. both are action-rpg's but the genesis verison is very faithful to the PNP source material and even utilizes A/b/c dialog nodes for every conversation and randomly-generated shadow running. it is a MUCH superior rpg to the snes version; but the snes version had a better storyline and overall better writing. classic case of story vs. gameplay. i liked both but if i had to play one of them now i would only enjoy the genesis version.

also the genesis version's music was fucking awesome. CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CHECK It AOOOUT!.

gawd that genesis synth is fucking awesome. just look at that fucking game box cover !!!!!

edit: in retrospect i don't know really if the snes version can be said to have had a better storyline. it featured better graphics and a larger amount of people played it because it got better marketing and it definitely had way more text than the genesis version; but if we judge by purely quality/purity of content vs quantity then the genesis version wins. the little dialog it had was always gameplay related and always offered dialog choices.

at any rate the snes version is the one that most people played and the first NPC that joins you in Shadowrun Returns is the protagonist from the SNES version; so yep, Harebrained Schemes decided to make snes shadowrun canon as far as the Shadowrun Returns universe is concerned.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom