Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

Deleted Member 16721

I've had that game for ages but I never play it because I hate playing on my phone. Having to interact with so many things by touching little buttons on the screen drives me mad. I would play a PC version.

I play mobile games on a 10 inch tablet. It's a lot more comfortable and fun that way.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It might be, but it fits in your pocket and it's convenient on my commute. If you have a phone with good battery and a big screen I think mobile gaming is a lot of fun. Not to mention you can play any emulated game, too. I found this thread really helpful for recommendations because there really is a lot of trash.

d1nolore

Savant

sser

Arcane
Developer
You can weed out much of the crap by ignoring games who sell "gems", "chests" and other consumables.

OP is missing Occidental Heroes.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/occidental-heroes-mobile-roguelike-retro-rpg.96982/
https://occidentalheroes.com

Yes this is an excellent game. It's a hobby project by a dev who wanted to make a good game, not just another mobile game. Highly recommend trying. Just redownloaded myself. Old school RPG fell.

Actually looks pretty nice. I've never played games on a phone before so I'll be giving this one a cherry poppin' shot.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can weed out much of the crap by ignoring games who sell "gems", "chests" and other consumables.

OP is missing Occidental Heroes.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/occidental-heroes-mobile-roguelike-retro-rpg.96982/
https://occidentalheroes.com

Yes this is an excellent game. It's a hobby project by a dev who wanted to make a good game, not just another mobile game. Highly recommend trying. Just redownloaded myself. Old school RPG fell.

Actually looks pretty nice. I've never played games on a phone before so I'll be giving this one a cherry poppin' shot.

I played it last summer and a few years before, there were some more content added in-between. It's nice and goes very well for short play sessions. But it's roguelike/lite and but I don't think there's a lot of replayability (apart from starting company composition & a small handful of choices), once I had seen most of the content of the game with a company I didn't had a lot of reasons to start another game.

It's also one of the rare games that can run on my old smartphone.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
I'm on a neverending quest to find good RPGs on mobile.

I haven't found one so far, but I'll keep looking.

Felix

Arcane
It might be, but it fits in your pocket and it's convenient on my commute. If you have a phone with good battery and a big screen I think mobile gaming is a lot of fun. Not to mention you can play any emulated game, too. I found this thread really helpful for recommendations because there really is a lot of trash.
Hey, play KoF allstar, it's fun and slick.

Has all kof music too.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
I'm on a neverending quest to find good RPGs on mobile.

I haven't found one so far, but I'll keep looking.
Have you tried tales of Illyria?

I did, actually. The first in the series. I think there are around three of them?

I liked it, but I felt it could've been way better. Still, good for a mobile platform.

Dungeons of Chaos is pretty great

I'll check it out, thanks. I spend a lot of time commuting so I'm always looking for games to play.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Breach The Archangel Job

30% off until 11/21!

Join The Archangels on their bloody campaign against the Chicago Mafia, to take them down by any means necessary. Play as criminal vigilante alongside them, or play as an informant and secretly work against them. Roll the dice, and survive the deadly consequences of your actions.

Breach: The Archangel Job is a thrilling interactive crime novel by Michael Maxwell and Ben Luigi, where your choices control the story.

Explore the rich background and personalities of your motley crew of international criminals as you wage a war against the mafia throughout the game. With the randomized dice system, no gameplay will ever be the same, and your skills are half of what you need. To survive in this world, you're also going to need luck. Good luck!

Your randomized fate and destiny awaits you!

* Play as male, female, trans, or non-binary; gay, straight, bisexual, or asexual.
* Romance more than 10 characters with their own different backgrounds and personalities.
* Plan and execute 2 critical and meticulous heists.
* Scale down the side of a high riser after a daring kidnapping.
* Explore the underground black market hidden under a church.
* Customize your player's appearance, gear, and weaponry.
* Survive a deadly FBI raid.
* Become Chicago's most wanted criminal, vigilante hero, or betray your crew as an informant.

Also on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1166840/Breach_The_Archangel_Job/

I very highly recommend

zaper

Yes.
Developer
If you like Breach The Archangel Job, maybe you'll liked my game as well. Both are written in the same engine and were released on the same day:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hostedgames.breacharchangeljob

The War for the West is a grimdark 485,000 word interactive medieval fantasy novel by Lucas Zaper.
  • Play as a Lord or a Lady, and find pleasure wherever you see fit.
  • Fight in the open field, withstand a siege, join your enemy or avoid conflict entirely.
  • Marry for love, power, or convenience, and use lovers to settle your lust if necessary.
  • Bow to the church or defy it by joining the northern heresy or making your own religion.
  • Uncover the secrets of your lineage and the ancient mysteries of the world, as well as many hidden endings.
  • Make allies and enemies as you visit neighboring provinces and interact with other nobles.
  • Decide over a vast number of random events that might happen as you hold court.
  • Build your army and test it in battle against your enemies.
It's also on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1137400/War_for_the_West/

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you like Breach The Archangel Job, maybe you'll liked my game as well. Both are written in the same engine and were released on the same day:

The War for the West is a grimdark 485,000 word interactive medieval fantasy novel by Lucas Zaper.
  • Play as a Lord or a Lady, and find pleasure wherever you see fit.
  • Fight in the open field, withstand a siege, join your enemy or avoid conflict entirely.
  • Marry for love, power, or convenience, and use lovers to settle your lust if necessary.
  • Bow to the church or defy it by joining the northern heresy or making your own religion.
  • Uncover the secrets of your lineage and the ancient mysteries of the world, as well as many hidden endings.
  • Make allies and enemies as you visit neighboring provinces and interact with other nobles.
  • Decide over a vast number of random events that might happen as you hold court.
  • Build your army and test it in battle against your enemies.
It's also on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1137400/War_for_the_West/
Played on browser, was pretty cool.

Lhynn

Arcane
One of the best mobile game ive found so far is definitely Gladiator Rising. It is a roguelike with a gladiator arena format, where you charbuild and fight through really intense fights against RNG enemies, its easy at first but it quickly becomes very challenging, Using consumables is important and so is having a propah strategy. Been playing it heavily lately, and having a lot of fun.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Unknown Knights
teamarexRole Playing

yQChfa9XKlaXMIYTk8w8QwChjT8_SH-_2d2SS-kesw0TLQK1nxtw54bDcoZ09freZJgKrtg4f__is-31Vg=s14-rw

hqdefault.jpg

Discover new challenges, and steer the game's Narrative as you venture to destroy the Dark Lord's Tower. Your loyal company of Knights and Soldiers, the Unknown Knights, will stand by you every step of the journey.

- Included in Top 10 of Google Indie Game Festival 2019 (Korea)
- Selected as an Indie game exhibitor in Samsung Developer Conference 2019 (San Jose, California)

"Unknown Knights" provides unique unit battles with roguelike encounters. You must solve problems, hire knights, and draft militia to build a strong band for the final fight against the Dark Lord.

KEY FEATURES

◆Real-Time ACTION Strategy
Control multiple units in real-time with four buttons. Timing your Actions is key; Read enemy movements and react accordingly. - Attack, Defense, Parry, and Charge.

◆The Journey and Choices
Hundreds of random encounters will pop up during the journey. Each of them has different choices and consequences. Some of the results of your decision won't happen immediately but surely come back to you.

◆Hidden Bosses & Relics to Discover
Your name will spread in the world as you continue your journey. Wandering wizards, underground monsters and leaders of factions will come to you to challenge or give a request.

◆Content
- 290+ events and stories, all affected by user choice
- 350+ battles
- Knights with 13 different specialties
- Enemy Factions that includes Dark Lord's Army, Thieves, the Assassins, and the Royal Guards
- Randomly generated play map and different ways to unlock gifts
- Dynamic Weather, providing weather-based strategies
- Three different difficulties designed for players of different skill levels
- 10 hidden bosses can be found throughout gameplay
- Online Ranking

The following permissions are necessary to play this game.
[Storage Access]
Permission: READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
Permission: WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
This permission is for saving game data on external memory cards.

※ The game is available for offline playing.
※ No Ads or Microtransactions

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Check out a game called Royal Booty Quest. Don't be put off by the name. It is a lot like Slay the Spire but it has more depth. There are several characters that all play differently, and it has extra gameplay like the ability to merge cards together to make new spells. Also anything you deconstruct at a forge gets kept for the next time you play, so if you fail and start again, you can get a head start. It's maybe not an RPG, maybe is, but it plays a bit like a tactical turn based RPG. It kept me entertained for quite a long time.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Unknown Knights
teamarexRole Playing

yQChfa9XKlaXMIYTk8w8QwChjT8_SH-_2d2SS-kesw0TLQK1nxtw54bDcoZ09freZJgKrtg4f__is-31Vg=s14-rw

hqdefault.jpg

Discover new challenges, and steer the game's Narrative as you venture to destroy the Dark Lord's Tower. Your loyal company of Knights and Soldiers, the Unknown Knights, will stand by you every step of the journey.

- Included in Top 10 of Google Indie Game Festival 2019 (Korea)
- Selected as an Indie game exhibitor in Samsung Developer Conference 2019 (San Jose, California)

"Unknown Knights" provides unique unit battles with roguelike encounters. You must solve problems, hire knights, and draft militia to build a strong band for the final fight against the Dark Lord.

KEY FEATURES

◆Real-Time ACTION Strategy
Control multiple units in real-time with four buttons. Timing your Actions is key; Read enemy movements and react accordingly. - Attack, Defense, Parry, and Charge.

◆The Journey and Choices
Hundreds of random encounters will pop up during the journey. Each of them has different choices and consequences. Some of the results of your decision won't happen immediately but surely come back to you.

◆Hidden Bosses & Relics to Discover
Your name will spread in the world as you continue your journey. Wandering wizards, underground monsters and leaders of factions will come to you to challenge or give a request.

◆Content
- 290+ events and stories, all affected by user choice
- 350+ battles
- Knights with 13 different specialties
- Enemy Factions that includes Dark Lord's Army, Thieves, the Assassins, and the Royal Guards
- Randomly generated play map and different ways to unlock gifts
- Dynamic Weather, providing weather-based strategies
- Three different difficulties designed for players of different skill levels
- 10 hidden bosses can be found throughout gameplay
- Online Ranking

The following permissions are necessary to play this game.
[Storage Access]
Permission: READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
Permission: WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
This permission is for saving game data on external memory cards.

※ The game is available for offline playing.
※ No Ads or Microtransactions

I've been playing this, it's quite nice.

ntonystinson

Scholar
The Aegis Saga

The blight eats the world while humans war for scraps. Will you fight, run, or lead your people to the stars? Or murderously ascend the human throne?

Two races clash; humans and turans--human discord versus turan magic. When the turans’ ancestors left the world to walk between stars, wild magic began returning. Now humans war to fill the vacuum, blind to the magical blight that is racing to smother the whole continent. High in their plateaus, the last turans must choose: Fight, follow their ancestors into the stars, or perish. And their fate rests on the life of a human child.

The Aegis Saga is a 280,00-word interactive fantasy novel by Charles Parkes, where your choices affect the story. It's entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

* Play as a male or female human, or as an ungendered turan; gay or straight.
* Race through a hostile city on the back of a feaclaw.
* Betray the trust of a powerful shaman as he teaches you to dance time.
* Find love on the shingle beside a peaceful water garden.
* Learn about glyf and how your magic can alter or destroy you!
* See your personality change with your character development, without being locked into decisions to win stats checks.
* Reread a page you missed, or skip ahead during a second read through.

Whether you try to understand the new world of the humans, or focus on the mysteries of the blight, either way, the child holds the key to everything.

Steam link

My Review: A bit complex to get into but with patience you can unravel one of The Best IF ever. It feels like stepping into another world so wonderfully written and the music as well just adds to the atmosphere.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Choice of Games and Paradox Teaming Up to Create ‘Vampire: The Masquerade’ Gamebooks
Posted onApril 30, 2020byShaun Musgrave
TouchArcade Rating:
Mobile gamers who enjoy a good interactive story almost certainly know the name Choice of Games (Free). The company’s ChoiceScript engine has powered a huge variety of choice-based adventures across a wide range of genres and themes. By working with a bunch of extremely talented authors, Choice of Games has kept a constant, fresh stream of cool games coming for pretty much as long as I can remember having an iPhone. The company has just made an announcement that represents the turning of a new page in its history, and we’ve got the first word on it. Choice of Games and Paradox Interactive, the owners of the World of Darkness brand, are teaming up to create three gamebooks based on the Vampire: The Masquerade IP.

vampirenightroadlogo.png

The first title, arriving sometime this summer, is Vampire: The Masquerade – Night Road by Kyle Marquis. You may remember his name from the excellent Empyrean, one of my favorite mobile games of 2016. Night Road sees you playing as an elite vampire courier who has been entrusted to deliver some of the most important secrets of the elders. It’s a pretty dangerous job, as you could imagine. You’ll have to use all of your vampiric powers and a whole lot of clever thinking to stay ahead of those who would pursue you.

vampireoutforbloodlogo.png

The second in the series will be arriving in the spring of 2021. Vampire: The Masquerade – Out for Blood is written by Jim Dattilo, the author responsible for the popular Zombie Exodus titles in the Hosted Games (Free) line-up. In Out for Blood, you play as a vampire hunter who needs to protect their town from a hundred-year-old vampire named Chastain. When a pack of young vampires pick a fight with Chastain, you and your town are thrust into the middle of a deadly feud. Will you choose a side, play them against each other, or just throw down against all comers? Be careful with your choices, or you might find yourself joining the undead ranks.

vampireparliamentofkniveslogo.png

The third of the announced titles is set for a release in the fall of 2021. Wow, that’s a ways away. Vampire: The Masquerade – Parliament of Knives comes from Jeffrey Dean, who is no stranger to the supernatural thanks to his work on Werewolves: Haven Rising. Parliament of Knives digs heavily into political world of Vampire: The Masquerade, always one of the more intriguing parts of the universe. A prince goes missing, and accusations and rumors are flying around about his second-in-command. She happens to be the vampire who Embraced you, bringing you into this world. Will you seize the chance to improve your standing even if it means betraying your superior? Or will you defend her and try to rise through the ranks that way? Whatever you do, you’ll have to exercise caution: these monsters are never so monstrous as when there’s a chance to grab power.

Hey, those all sound pretty great. But I wanted a little more information, so I used all of my vampire hunting skills to find Jason Stevan Hill, the managing editor of these three projects at Choice of Games. He was kind enough to answer a few questions and in return I decided not to stake him. Well, this time, anyway.

TouchArcade (TA): Can you tell us a little bit about how this partnership came about? Who approached who?

Jason Stevan Hill (JSH): When Paradox brought the World of Darkness in-house just about a year ago now, they stated their desire to license the property. I reached out to them and we made it happen.

Of course, getting these games written in a timely fashion has been a heroic effort on the part of the authors. Balancing game design, World of Darkness lore, and a good story has been a challenge; Kyle, Jim, and Jeffrey should all be commended for their work here.

TA: Why the World of Darkness/Vampire brands? What do you feel they specifically bring to the type of games Choice of Games makes?

JSH: Dan Fabulich and I grew up playing Vampire together, so this material is very close to our hearts. More specifically, the Storyteller system has always been about telling good stories where the mechanics enhance play, rather than dominating it. That philosophy aligns very closely with the Choice of Games line of products: interactive novels where decisions impact outcomes, where you’ll always have a good story — even when you “fail."

Moreover, we’re excited to give our core Choice of Games audience an opportunity to play in the World of Darkness. Many of our fans are already their fans, so we’re giving them what they’ve been clamoring for.

TA: Is this deal just for three gamebooks, or is there the possibility for more?

JSH: More games are definitely possible!

TA: Can players expect a similar range of customizability in shaping their character with these games as with Choice of Games’s other titles? Does the license impose any limitations in that regard?

JSH: Yes, in keeping with the Choice of Games brand standards, questions of gender and sexuality are open to the player.

However, each of the authors are interpreting the Storyteller-system rules differently. Kyle is staying very close to the table-top rules — going so far as to include the infamous “dots” on the stats page! — while Jim is taking a looser interpretation.

As with any adaptation, however, there are some compromises that have to be made for the sake of balance. The Clan banes, for example, are something we’ve had to fiddle with to have a substantive yet balanced effect on the game.

vampirethemasqueradenightroad.png

TA: Some fans of the World of Darkness may not be familiar with what Choice of Games does. What’s your pitch for them?

JSH: Sometimes you can’t get your table-top group together, or it’s Tuesday so there’s no LARP happening, or you don’t have access to a desktop for a video game. You can carry us with you in your pocket and have an interactive World of Darkness experience anytime, anywhere. We think that the World of Darkness fans will feel right at our home amid our multiple choice, choose-a-path games.

TA: The first book is set for a summer 2020 release. Is that early summer or late summer?

JSH: Probably late summer, but you never know.

TA: Any additional message you want to give our readers?

JSH: If it’s been a while since you’ve looked at the Choice of Games library, I’d say it’s a good time to look again. The stability and design of our “Choice of Games" app has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year — since Apple forced the change on us — and at the same time we now have over 120 games in our library, and the “Choice of Games" app is now available for Android devices on Google Play.

Due to the pandemic, a number of our games have even been converted to “ad supported” (i.e. entirely free-to-play) for the indefinite future. In addition, we launched the Heart’s Choice app in December, which contains shorter interactive romance novels in the Choice of Games style.

vampireoutforbloodscreen.png

A big thanks once again to Jason Stevan Hill for answering our questions. I don’t know about all of you, friends, but I’m pretty excited for this deal. Choice of Games has been putting out some of the finest stories in video games for several years now, and the World of Darkness is an outstanding playground for story-telling. I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for that first title this summer, and will be looking forward to hearing about any further collaborations between Choice of Games and Paradox. And hey, while you’re waiting, why not check out some of the many other fine adventures available in Choice of Games’s three hub apps?

Choice of Games

The choice is yours! Choice of Games is a magnificent library of interactive novels: action, adventure, drama, historic…
Free
Buy NowWatch
Post navigation

ntonystinson

Scholar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curtelgames.theballadsinger

The Ballad Singer is an RPG/Graphic Adventure, set in a fantasy world completely controlled by the player's choices.

We've taken elements from game-books and visual novels to develop a videogame with an unprecedented format. TBS offers a fantasy story yet to be written, where the world changes and reacts to the player's actions. This will allow you to live up to 1700 stories and 40 different endings, your decisions will affect the way the tale unfolds. Every single development and subplot in the story is completely narrated and illustrated, even the smallest ones. In TBS, every choice is crucial.

Features:

- Four heroes with different narrative developments.
- Asymmetric stories intertwining one to the other.
- During a single run with a character you will never face two fights alike.
- Your choices really matter, you can completely change the fate of the heroes through your decisions.
- Three degrees of challenge: deceive death and repeat mortal choices.
- Replayability: only by replaying TBS you will be able to discover the different decisional paths of each hero.
- Domino System: a choice in the first minutes of play could have strong repercussions throughout the course of the adventure.
- Fully narrated story, over 400,000 words and 40 hours of narration.
- More than 700 HD illustrations.
- Over 40 musical tracks.
- 400 different detailed deaths.
- Dying is part of the story, so there is no "Game Over". When a character you're playing as dies, you will play as a new hero, within the same story, in a different narrative path!

How many roads are you willing to take?
z3d6bpalNK6OKh4S7gIXFqUtuR90rdVjx8an2XuM3f1mX22Ndbh4bRotxzKuevN0vw=w720-h440-rw

xIqQLfQ2ff1kB8cwghmiKFj3WnA33kjU7DZMqo04WGE9pa1eRrqgWyhS0k9N9vUZKAqm=w720-h440-rw
U7nbXAkynIidwAFZyLYsZ9oOhBl9rUwya2Xrn8wEpuUXt-mrrXpCbAXM49HNJcRf=w720-h440-rw
GejYvmGMNhR8-1ug1sin7K4uusI5-8hfmiAegd4g49D5avrAYKoZlE75q-lYi1RvDQ=w720-h440-rw
kHFqRtS-W4FYlRCHH54_CkDcMLFeG7dlfy3OR0iuEs1_mMZqLjXHD4GcfRDOl-36Xc8=w720-h440-rw
NkrCkzX5IKGhhofoe5I_EPkrWQ3_L4N8MIenJtoLRnkyLMx1ulWBUmRE9-YSx7MN41m5=w720-h440-rw

details

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom