Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mojang's Scrolls

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've never played or even tried a card game before but holy mama this looks really good (but maybe that's just because I've never played or even tried a card game before).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy shit... all this time and they were developing a card game?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is 2013 the year of card games or something? Anyway, seems interesting.

Oh, it's in Open Beta, but at $20 and:

Buy it at this discounted price and you’ll get future updates for free. It’s like that other game, the one with Creepers.

It's like he really believe he delivered all the promised features in Minecraft...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy shit... all this time and they were developing a shitty card game?

Yup.
Frankly, this looks much more like a strategy game then a standard deck building fare. Probably should be up there on TC.
I have no idea if it's a brand new concept or not but it does look like something with a ton of depth and tactical variety.

Had it come out 5 years ago I would've just gobble it up but now when I'm drowning in excellent turn based games I'll pass for now. But I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Strategy part reminds that horrible Warlords:Call to Arms flash game and miriads of it's even more horrible clones.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This could be interesting. It'd be a lot more interesting if all scrolls were available to all players from the get-go, but I guess it wouldn't have that Magic the Gathering twelve-year-olds at summer camp or the hobby shop vibe if you didn't have to spray some kind of currency every which way in order to acquire more cards.

The real-money aspect doesn't seem too troublesome. Buying a new starter deck (past your first, which is free) costs about $4.75 each plus in-game currency, and can only be done twice. The cosmetic avatars cost $4.75 each plus in-game currency, and are obviously unnecessary. Other than that you can buy face-up cards (each player is presented with six to purchase each real-life week) for small amounts of shards plus currency ranging from 22 cents to $1.10 per card. And I'm assuming players can trade amongst one another.

The bulk of earning new cards, even the options that take shards, is done by winning (and losing) matches.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, I... ah... bought it... :oops:

Fun so far. There are only three "colors", green, red & blue, but they are very different and you can make a multi-colored deck to derp around. There are some challenges you can make to get money to buy cards, but getting new cards is a SLOW process, they are very expensive and I can see that it will take a long time until I have enough cards to modify my starter deck to something cool...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is it only mp or is there a single player campaign?
The only single-player modes you get are battles agains various AI and 25 challenges, like beating a oponent that already starts with some troops... which means that if you're not much into online PvP battles, this game will exaust itself very quickly...

Also, there are only 135 scrolls, 45 of each color, so there's less cards than a small MTG expansion... between that Hex MMO and Blizzard's Heartstone, both Free-to-Play, buying Scrolls seems like a bad move... (that I took and already regret a bit)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for the looks of the thing - I like it.
I looked at Hex and dat art style...eh, no. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

As for the flaws, well it's still in beta. MTG had a lifetime to develop. But if they attract even a fraction of their ginormous Minecraft base, it'll be huge.
Plus you can play it right now as opposed to Hex wich won't come out anytime soon and Heartstone which is, more likely than not, another Blizzard vapor.

Fart Master

Savant
Why would I EVER spend money on an online card game that isn't MTG? If I decided to spend money on virtual cards some shitty indie game would be my last choice.

Multi-headed Cow

Despite really enjoying playing virtual card games and playing a bunch of Magic years back I'm pretty iffy on this. $20 up front price for something that handles like a free to play game with "Super slow play to unlock, or spend cash!" market, and it has Notch-stink on it even if he isn't directly involved.
Watched the gameplay video and the actual gameplay looked alright, but it fell apart when I started to see the cash shop and the AI looked dumb. That's one advantage of the modern Duels of the Planeswalkers games, they've actually got good AI. There seems to be no damn reason not to put your wall in the first row, especially to put your wall behind your mortars.

Edit: Also cvv if you think this looks tactically interesting and fun you should pick up any/all of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games next time they go on sale on Steam. Each one has entirely different decks, so buying the oldest/cheapest one available isn't a problem. There's no real deckbuilding in it, but when you can buy the game with 10-20ish decks (Depending on DLC) you get a hell of a lot of card gaming fun for $5-10.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Any reason for me to buy this instead of just continuing with Duel of Champions?

Fart Master

Savant
Why would I EVER spend money on an online card game?
Fixed.

some shitty indie game.
Indie? You mean Mojang, a publisher of one of the best-selling PC games of all times who made 100 milion bucks last year? Is there no end to your insider industry knowledge?

I don't care if they made 50 billion dollars off of Minecarft. Doesn't change the fact this looks like total dime a dozen 10 dollar indie crap you can find anywhere.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Edit: Also cvv if you think this looks tactically interesting and fun you should pick up any/all of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games next time they go on sale on Steam. Each one has entirely different decks, so buying the oldest/cheapest one available isn't a problem. There's no real deckbuilding in it, but when you can buy the game with 10-20ish decks (Depending on DLC) you get a hell of a lot of card gaming fun for $5-10.
I was always intrigued about TCGs but never got involved because the actual gameplay always seemed...well malnourished. Like collecting the cards was the main quest and the gameplay just a side activity. This peaked my interest because it seems it's the other way around.

But the Duels has been on my "to try" list for some time now and I'll get it as soon as it's under 10 euro. (Btw should I get the 2012 version or the previous Gold Bundle?)

Multi-headed Cow

I was always intrigued about TCGs but never got involved because the actual gameplay always seemed...well malnourished. Like collecting the cards was the main quest and the gameplay just a side activity. This peaked my interest because it seems it's the other way around.

But the Duels has been on my "to try" list for some time now and I'll get it as soon as it's under 10 euro. (Btw should I get the 2012 version or the previous Gold Bundle?)
The gameplay's definitely the main appeal of Magic, it's just that to build optimal decks you'll have to collect cards and spend a bunch of money. And odds are you'll have to build optimal decks unless you manage to play it casually with bros 'cause the mighty neckbeards you'll face in gaming stores will min-max like motherfuckers. It's kinda why I don't miss the collecting/deckbuilding in the DotP games, since I played Magic casually I don't really give a shit I'm playing with pre-built decks, I just like the game.

And which one you buy doesn't really matter. All of them should be decent at teaching you the game and are good enough to be fun to play against once you know what you're doing. There is (Of course) a good bit of luck in Magic since you're drawing cards from a 60+ card deck but using what you draw wisely is a large part of the appeal.
Not an edit: Oh shit, I just realized they no longer sell the "Oldest new DotP" on Steam which is a shame since that had some fun decks, probably the best archetype decks of all the DotP games. Inexplicably they still sell expansions for it but not the game itself. Still, you're fine with whatever one you wanna buy. There isn't much overlap between them and they've even taken to adding unique game modes to each one that don't carry over into the next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom