Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Molyneux God games

Monocause

Arcane
I've been playing these for the last few days.

While Molyneux is an obnoxious fellow and the Fable series are a blasphemy, I've got to give him some cred as being one of the most creative folks in the VG industry. His inflated ego might have something to do with him pushing forward his ideas. Here's an interesting tidbit from the Populous 2 manual:

PETER MOLYNEUX
Born in: Accra, Ghana, Africa
Ambitions: to persevere in his struggle to be “normal” despite acute
megalomania

That much he admits. But let's say it: populous games were awesome and offered surprising amounts of depth. First dozen or so levels you're going to play are bound to be piss-poor easy, the fun starts later on. A fun fact of how many things were hidden in these seemingly simplistic games was how your deity avatar's choice in POP2 changed the AI tactics. Didn't know about it earlier and thought it was fluff, however the manual stated it had an effect - so I changed my avatar and reloaded level no. 148 a couple of times. True to the manual, depending on my avatar the AI was more all-out aggressive or defensive, building up and spamming harmful effects on my land. Sometimes even trying to drown my folks.

Black&White could be seen as effective continuation of the concept in Populous. The first game I found to be simply a pain in the arse, overglorified Tamagotchi. Some concepts were great, the creature, the way you were expected to creatively use your surroundings - but most of the game boiled down to trying to teach the creature some stupid shit and go all FFUUU when you fail to do so for 30 minutes. Seeing screenshots of huge-ass creatures made me wonder how was it possible that people spent hours on the game. I found it frustrating, even more so when I realised how awesome some of the concepts were and how much they got screwed up by making it needlessly complex to teach your creature to store the grain in the depot instead of throwing it around or taking a dump on the nearest villager.

Just started giving BW2 a try and it seems infinitely better than the first one. Some RTS elements were added while the insanely boring and tedious tamagotchi parts were ditched. Now you know what you're doing with your creature and know how will it react to various stimuli. Someone somewhere probably called it dumbed down, but I don't see how removing 'features' like playing cat-and-mouse with an AI you cannot predict because you have almost no cues as to how it works dumbing down. Some much needed hotkeys were added (like the leash one, thank the Gods). Town management was expanded and made less stupid (fe. pop growth is no longer always a bad thing like in the first game where all you got for it was dwindling wood supply and food problems). Your creature picking up someone doesn't end with that someone becoming a breeder too.

Comment away. I'm especially interested in your thoughts about BW2 since I like what I've seen of the early game and would like to know if I am to brace myself for a disappointment.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The Movies is the best game he'll ever make.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Monocause said:
Comment away. I'm especially interested in your thoughts about BW2 since I like what I've seen of the early game and would like to know if I am to brace myself for a disappointment.
if you've suffered through B&W1, B&W2 will seem much better than it actually is. the gameplay is rather repetitive and the AI is pretty dumb but fortunately the maps are pretty varied and the creatures are useful and their behaviour is no longer as erratic as in B&W1. to answer your question: i remember the last mission to be pretty fuck up mang but apart from that, it's alright.

populous on the other hand was so good i even bought this for the old brick and never regretted it:
populous.jpg

played the movies a bit but was disappointed by the lack of flexibility when it comes to camera position and the costume system, that forced you to click through the costumes for every scene. could have been a much better (=fun) movie making tool but i doubt there's a way to make it an enjoyable game. (heard somewhere that the expansion pack fixed some things but never bothered to try it)

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
B&W and B&W2 sucked IMO. Ultimately both parts bored me to death quickly and made me drop them. Very unfortunate as I even bought B&W 1 when it was new...

I like playing god, I liked doing it in Pop 3 (albeit in a limited scale), DK (well evil god but a god anyway) and other, rare games. But there is always something lacking, be it the scale of the whole affair, challenge from the AI or simply game mechanics.

Monocause

Arcane
And why would it be a problem, exactly? The game runs fine. I just had a minor graphics glitch with how land was rendered - when I zoomed in and moved the camera it seemed as if the whole ground would wave.

@Fens:

I might've given the wrong idea in the OP so: no, I'm not masochistic enough to finish BW1 or even sink more than a couple of hours into it. After a couple of hours of getting frustrated with the creature I ended up throwing tons of rock on my village, killing almost everyone and demolishing all the buildings. Also I repeatedly did beat the creature senseless. That was five satisfying minutes of BW gameplay after a couple of insanely boring hours; I don't like proportions like that in my vidja games so I quit and promptly uninstalled.

EDIT: Before I did that I reloaded the starting island and murdered the singing sailors. Who the fuck thought that making incredibly annoying unskippable cutscenes was a good idea? :x

"It's good to be bad" fits BW1 more than DK to be honest. After painful hours of trying to be a goody-goody you realise that all you want is to actually demolish everything and kill everyone. Perhaps this is what Molyneux intended all along.

I was serious here. An interesting thing about B&W1 I found very valuable was a personal exercise. Being good in the game is extremely tedious hard work, so much that sooner or later you're bound to desire to just let go and start a killing spree - and a killing spree is a much easier way to get things done. It's a neat idea, just that it's still a computer game that's supposed to be entertainment.

giantevilpetermolyneux.jpg

Fens

Ford of the Llies
phew... i was worried about you for a minute there

destroying the pixelpeople or slapping the creature around is very entertaining indeed. i remember picking one of the citizens up and then throwing him across the map by accident in B&W2... at first i was a bit frustrated about the imprecise mouse detection but then i tried recreating the situation... with all the citizens i had. fun times and good thing that the game didn't stop you from doing that eventhough i doubt moulinex wanted that.

i remember an article about fable1 where he said that all the children were removed from the game (apart from those in that one city where you couldn't draw your sword) because one day he went to see what the beta testers were up to and one of them went through the game and slaughtered all the children just because he could. wish he hadn't seen that. might have made fable1 a little better.

Monocause

Arcane
Come on guys. Everyone on this board knows who Molyneux is yet barely anyone gives a fuck to comment on his games?

Destroid

Arcane
Populous 1-3 and Syndicate+Wars were all great, but Black and White was a hard decline that never stopped.

I have never in my life been more disappointed by a game than I was by Black and White.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favourite level of Black and White was the first one, the turorial. There was a city and there were quests to do stuff for the people or you could just throw stones at their buildings or throw the people hard at the ground till they die or throw them into the sea till they drown and then throw their skeletons through the city.

Would've been much more fun if it had stayed a "be god, do quests, or just have fun fucking around" game instead of becoming more of a strategy and creature tamagochi game.

Really loved Populous the Beginning when I was young, though. Manipulate the terrain, summon volcanoes, lots of awesome spells of mass destruction. What's not to love?

Monocause

Arcane
I didn't mention Pop3 because - at least according to Wikipedia - ol' Pete wasn't involved in its production.

Pre-Bullfrog
The Entrepreneur (1984) (designer/programmer)
Druid 2

Bullfrog Productions
Fusion (1987) (designer/programmer)
Populous (1989) (designer/programmer)
Powermonger (1990) (designer/programmer)
Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods (1991) (designer/programmer)
Syndicate (1993) (producer)
Theme Park (1994) (project leader/lead programmer)
Magic Carpet (1994) (executive producer)
Hi-Octane (1995) (executive producer)
Genewars (1996)
Dungeon Keeper (1997) (project leader/designer)

Lionhead Studios
Black & White (2001) (concept/lead designer/programmer)
Fable (2004) (designer)
Fable: The Lost Chapters (2005) (designer)
The Movies (2005) (executive designer)
Black & White 2 (2005) (lead designer)
The Movies: Stunts & Effects (2006) (executive designer)
Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods (2006) (lead designer)
Fable II (2008) (lead designer)
Fable III (2010) (lead designer)
Milo and Kate (formerly known as The Dmitri Project) (TBA) (lead designer)

But yeah, it was a good game. One thing I didn't like about it is that it sacrificed some of the scope previous Pop games had. Forcing you to rely on the shaman killed to Godplay feeling for me.

Monocause

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
I'm still waiting for Fable 3 to come out on the PC so I can torrent it. :decline:

Is Fable 3 the one Yahtzee ranted about, the one with farting on other people's heads?

For me, the significance of Peter Molyneux began and ended with the Dungeon Keeper series. Sure, he has had a significance influence in the industry and he has had many genuinely good ideas (and let's be honest, he is far better at coming up with interesting ideas than he is at actually designing or developing games), but his efforts are so incredibly hit-and-miss, and his track record as a good designer has been in a pretty steady and unenviable decline for the past decade or so.

I think for a man like this, his ego has most certainly worked against him. If he wasn't so focused on what HE can produce when HE is in control, he could have made some very serious contributions to projects where there were many creative minds working in a more balanced way; games that wouldn't be pulled down completely by the fact that his typically absurd ideas didn't have proper "checks and balances".

I think his role in gaming is a historical one now, and the game industry has pretty clearly moved past a point where he is capable of analysing and processing the situation enough to produce good games.

aron searle

Arcane
Well, black and white was the last game of his I played back when it came out.

The creature training is poor. It can take a concerted effort to get him to stop eating people, or sleeping every 5 second, and then he will just randomly forget his “lessons” and eat a random person again, or die of exhaustion. And say you want to train him to grow forests. Well you can do that in principle, but in reality if you tie him to something and get him to water trees, he will then do nothing else no matter what you try, and so will often starve to death (or just stand there pointing at things). If you don’t tie him up, he’ll water a few trees, and then spend the rest of the time stumbling around doing stupid shit (like sleeping every 5 seconds), far to much micromanagement to get the creature to a point where it’s actually useful.

Much more fun to just randomly beat the shit out of the fucker instead.

And then there are the levels.

Level 1 = tutorial (so doesn’t really count)
Level 2 = so fucking easy a retard could do it
Level 3 = NO CREATURE, so half of the point of the game is suddenly gone, and you are left with the tedious badly implemented town management part of the game which involves sitting around waiting for your villagers to breed so that you gain enough influence to get the next town, and picking up hundreds of trees to feed your buildings, rinse and repeat for every village captured (cheated past this level myself)
Level 4 = 1 Creature to fight, and that’s basically the end of any even slightly difficult obstacles in this level.
Level 5 = Retail release of the game was bugged, and permanently corrupted your creature (this was back before most people had the net.

OH, and unskippable childish purile cinimatics

Destroid

Arcane
Also, the fireball spell was OP and let you win creature fights really easily by setting the other creature on fire.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I was serious by the way. Have you guys played the Movies? It's a brilliant game. It's a good business management game mixed with a fun creative tool.
By far the best game Molyneux will ever be involved with.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Zed said:
I was serious by the way. Have you guys played the Movies? It's a brilliant game. It's a good business management game mixed with a fun creative tool.

This.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The god games were great ideas... bad execution. Popolus III was nice and the part when you play as a real god (not a shaman anymore) was great.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zed said:

Is it the one that came out 4 or 5 years ago?

I got bored with it in a few hours. It's basically a collection of premade cutscenes you throw together and then call it a "movie". And the whole point of playing is to unlock more cutscenes.

It was too simple as well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Zed said:

Is it the one that came out 4 or 5 years ago?

I got bored with it in a few hours. It's basically a collection of premade cutscenes you throw together and then call it a "movie". And the whole point of playing is to unlock more cutscenes.

It was too simple as well.

The game spans from like the 1920s to 2000. As the game progresses, you unlock new backdrops/scenes, props, actor appearances and you get to make more scenes for your movies. After a few hours you have only scratched the surface, unless you totally shit on the game and fast-forward it all the time and ignore micro-management. You know movies in the 20s didn't have much more than simple theater scenes and static outdoor locations.

It is simple to understand yes, but it's still the most fun you'll ever get out of a Molyneux game. It's not very easy to try and win every studio award. So while it's easy to just maintain your studio without going into bankruptcy, it's not easy to win like 80-90% of all awards, especially since every award ceremony adds another award to be won next year.

Another thing I love about the game is the radio announcer. The genre of movies that are popular at the time (which affects sales etc) are affected by what goes on in the world. He says some really fun things during the 40s and 50s. :D

Deakul

Augur
B&W2 was fucking horrible.
It's one gigantic tutorial.

And they turned the game into an RTS more than anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom