Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Monks: A Guide to Punching!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Just remember to Charge as much as possible once you get pounce. It's like adding four attacks to your moves. Style Strikes only happen on Full Attacks.

Desiderius

Patron
I'll go back and try a different build. Thanks. I am so used to taking dodge. I'll try taking something else.

People take Dodge as a prereq for Crane Wing. But if you're using Dragon or Pummeling it doesn't do much.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll go back and try a different build. Thanks. I am so used to taking dodge. I'll try taking something else.

People take Dodge as a prereq for Crane Wing. But if you're using Dragon or Pummeling it doesn't do much.
I am going to experiment some more. But yes, I can see how + 1 to AC isn't all that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Desiderius

Patron
Sensei 20 super WIS isn't the best for starting on Unfair. I'd start out on Challenging until he gets his feet under him. On the other hand you can plan your party makeup/other builds around the availability of Mass Barkskin and Mass True Strike and not needing a Bard.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The way I build my unfair monk builds is by damage. If you're not dispatching the enemy as quickly as possible. Things will drag on. If things drag on for too long, someone is going to eat a 20+ crit to the face.

Desiderius

Patron
The way I build my unfair monk builds is by damage. If you're not dispatching the enemy as quickly as possible. Things will drag on. If things drag on for too long, someone is going to eat a 20+ crit to the face.

Prone/Blind things die faster.

Desiderius

Patron
Make a Crane Style Sensei Duelist (to Parry Nat 20s) and you be even more immortal than the Mirror Image boys. May need Stalwart Defender to get Uncanny Dodge or Inquisitor 2 for Cunning Initiative to prevent being caught flat-footed.

Other than that sounds like Dragon Style Scaled Fist is the one for you.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Probably better idea than Vital Striker is Crane Wing tank with Dirty Trick CM to Blind stuff (or Sicken/Entangle as needed, since Greater DT gives long durations) taking advantage of your sky high AB without having to worry much about damage and Duelist splash late since you already need Dodge for Crane Wing.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The Dragon Fist!
Race: Human
Class: 11 Scaled Fist/ 1 Sorcerer/ 4 Dragon Disciple/ 4 Vivisectionist
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Stats:
STR 19
DEX 14
CON 11
INT 7
WIS 10
CHA 16

Class/Feat Progression:
Level 1 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Power Attack, Dragon Style, Deflect Arrow - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception(Or Persuasion. Either and or can work. I suggest persuasion for the main game.)
Level 2 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Combat Reflexes - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 3 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Improved Initiative - Draconic Heritage: Black Dragon(You can pick anyone you want. I picked black because it fits with the lawful evil theme) - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 4 + 1 STR - Alchemist(Vivisectionist) - Spells: For now you can't cast any spells, not until you get gear that can raise INT. So, just pick whichever spell meets your fancy. Recommendations: Enlarge, Shield, True Strike, Firebelly, Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 5 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Dragon Ferocity - KI Power: Barkskin - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception

Level 6 - Alchemist(Vivisectionist) - Feats: Weapon Focus(Unarmed) - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 7 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Outflank - Style Strike: Hammerblow - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 8 + 1 STR - Alchemist(Vivisectionist) - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 9 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Accomplished Sneak Attacker, Dodge - KI Power: True Strike - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 10 - Alchemist(Vivisectionist) - Feats: Improved Critical(Unarmed) - Spells: Recommended: Blur, False Life - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception

Level 11 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Hammer the Gap - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 12 + 1 STR - Scaled Fist - KI Powers: Abundant Step - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 13 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Precise Strike(Make sure other team mates have this feat.) - Style Strike: Shattering Punch - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 14 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Blind Fight - KI Power: Restoration - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception
Level 15 - Scaled Fist - Feats: Critical Focus - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception

Level 16 + 1 STR - Sorcerer - Draconic Bloodline: Black - Sorcerer Bonus Feat: It really doesn't matter what you pick here. The entire reason we're dipping into sorcerer, is so we can qualify for DD in order to get +4 to STR - Spells: Doesn't matter what you pick - Skills: Mobility, Knowledge Arcana, Perception(If you only have two points, go for whichever skill meets your fancy. I still suggest pumping perception or persuasion up though.)
Level 17 - Dragon Disciple - Feats: Iron Will - Skills: Mobility, Perception
Level 18 - Dragon Disciple - Feats: Toughness - Skills: Mobility, Perception
Level 19 - Dragon Disciple - Feats: Shake it Off(Make sure other companions have this too) - Skills: Mobility, Perception
Level 20 + 1 STR - Dragon Disciple - Recommended spells: Blur - Skills: Mobility, Perception

Here is what you can except from this monster:
level 5:
odFkgLS.png
oIzERg0.png

Level 6:
6O817hC.png

Level 8:
cQ5vpjS.png

Level 9:
6kQ8WJf.png
TmiOVjs.png

Level 11:
Yy2TvYV.png

Level 12:
5vmsIJf.png
N0RJzQS.png
i7TIoe0.png
JI1NnrA.png

Level 13:
KlCpIe3.png

Level 14:
UuPVDud.png

Level 15:
aHQ6gU6.png
u2CaAo3.png

Level 16:
tYfunb2.png
SrSbGeY.png
twDHJ9s.png
t153dBo.png
d2r85nq.png
Cem5sJd.png
wjSpq0g.png

Level 18:
AT8IGnD.png
gIYeGIn.png

Level 19:
T5alcjn.png
Ev2gC1v.png
6erTI33.png

Level 20:
Character stats:
1QM006h.png
Buffed:
HmPTqck.png

oqCR2jw.png

Build in action:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Probably better idea than Vital Striker is Crane Wing tank with Dirty Trick CM to Blind stuff (or Sicken/Entangle as needed, since Greater DT gives long durations) taking advantage of your sky high AB without having to worry much about damage and Duelist splash late since you already need Dodge for Crane Wing.
That sounds fun, I'll try that one next. Thanks!

amurath

Educated
I would switch the build to Sacred Fist 11/Vivi 3/Archaelogist 2/Dragon Disciple 4. That way you get Mirror Image and Uncanny Dodge, along with a weak Sense Vitals. Also, why not make him a Motherless Tiefling and take Feral Mutagen to get two extra bites?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I would switch the build to Sacred Fist 11/Vivi 3/Archaelogist 2/Dragon Disciple 4. That way you get Mirror Image and Uncanny Dodge, along with a weak Sense Vitals. Also, why not make him a Motherless Tiefling and take Feral Mutagen to get two extra bites?
Whoa! I don't know! I went 4 vivi for the feats. But I didn't think of going archaeologist. As for why I picked human over tiefling, I value feats a lot. I will try your build though, it sounds cool and fun!

jungl

Augur
This is the Dragon Fist build, but with the Enforcer's Robe:

Man look at that melee punching kicking monk so USELESS. Look at that wastes like 20 rounds getting to enemy caster because summoned monsters. Meanwhile zen archer monk BOOM one round headshot enemy caster down.

1 round>20 rounds

Oh yeah I remember that one in the steam thread.
Only recently I started to realise that vivisectionist is so strong that it's stupid, is there a single martial role he can't do ? I think you can even build him as an archer and it would be great.

wait do the bite attack stack? Sjukob I don't remember if they stack or not.
I'm currently playing monk/sorcerer/dragon disciple motherless tiefling, bites from motherless liniage and dragon disciple class do stack, can't speak for feral mutagen though. What inspired me to play this build is seeing playthrough of this guy with the exact same class. Skip to 17:36 if timestamp doesn't load.

Oh the bite stacking build?
sorc dip and dd for the bite with energy damage, bite from motherless, bite from feral mutagen, rest in vivi. crazy shit with mastery/winter wolf cloak bros. Especially sicne bite is considered as blud/piercing/slashing.

Pink Eye How does monk deal with stuff immune to it's fists. In an early release the Ki strike feature was bugged I think and fisting monk was sort of impotent against many foes. needed a +quarterstaff or something to do damage.

I only used sensei for mass buffbot/tank as a monk. true damage from drugged up vivi (single target) and kineticist (aoe).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The monk will just punch hard enough until it implodes, again, I need specifics. I've tested the builds against a diverse group of enemies within the DLC dungeon. From basic enemies, all the way up to adamantine/summer/autumn/ greater golems and including Wild Hunt Monarchs. You can see the numbers yourself, each build showcases it within the screenshot section.

Hmm, maybe game is patched to remove enemies 100% immune to bludgeoning now, like the unavoidable spider swarms and initial encounter of three wolves.
Most I could find was something like X/bludgeoning where X is max around 20 to 25 I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom