Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I actually took a potion of speed in that particular gif - those go on for roughly 10-20 seconds. It's enough to start an encounter with an advantage but the thing is, they are relatively rare. So if you take them for a specific encounter and you die, they are gone - while the encounter may respawn. So using items is always a bit of a gamble. This whole approach echoes the Wizardry-esque resource management philosophy a bit: You prepare yourself, you go down the dungeon and you gotta make it through with what you have. This whole philosophy actually carried over into KF and - thanks to the lack of loading - even more into DS, where - besides estus flasks - items act the same way as in Monomyth. You gotta make due, even if the results aren't necessarily ideal. So situations like that gif should actually be the exception - you will rarely be able to outrun these guys.

Wizardry brings me to another thing, which is the prevalence of status effects during combat. You don't see those that often in western games - at least not to the extent to which they appear in lets say the old Dragon Quest games. There you'll get encounters where every enemy can hit you with a debuff - which becomes a major problem once their debuffs combine. So for example they hit you with silence and slow you down, which is death sentence for clerics (and therefore the entire group).
This is another thing that I'm trying to emulate in Monomyth's combat. The two guys from the gif are actually a good example for that, since they attack together and their default attack has a 20% chance of slowing you down. They also do a fair amount of damage and the elite version (the guy with the war cleaver) is even stronger (also I sped up his attack). So these guys catch you without a shield - which breaks their attacks and sends them into pain stun - and it might be over pretty quickly.
The attack breaking thing also goes for the player by the way - except you can quickly dodge afterwards, the stamina cost of which is dependent on your equipment's weight - so you might stamina lock yourself (no reg for ~2 seconds - which makes your attacks useless) if you do that; I still have to tweak that penalty a bit.

So all of this plays together and has an effect on the effectiveness and speed of attacks.

To answer your questions, the design philosophy behind combat encounters in Monomyth is "rare but tricky".
You actually haven't seen that much of it, mostly because I often max myself out on stats and equipment for recording (also UE's editor-internal capturing at 60 fps slows down the game, so I pretty much catch every opening for an attack).
Hard to say how far along I am with combat tweaking. The systems are pretty much all set up, but every enemy is different. In fact - with status effects playing such a big role - every attack is different. I also still wanna add support actions among enemies - so, for example, they start healing each other if necessary (perhaps not in the alpha though). The decision branch is already in the AI behaviour tree, but it's currently skipped since I still need a proper querying system for it.

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
WsxiaMk.gif

It looks good. It looks really good

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Not sure anymore how it worked in Amnesia, but you can pick these objects up and throw them around.
There are also objects you can pick up, but you can't put them in your inventory (for example, chairs or crates).

Both types of objects produce noise when they fall on the ground, which raises the alertness level of nearby enemies.
That is actually what I'm currently working on.

PrettyDeadman

I don't understand whats is going on. Is the skelly being hit or not? There are 3 attacks. 1st looks like a block and it produces sparks. Another looks like a hit (judging by the fact that it hit the body and not the shield), but still produces sparks like when the hit was blocked. The last one is neither, there are still sparks, but the skelly jerks the hand with a shield really fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Will this be a full release or 'early access' ?

I have no plans for early access. At least not right now.

I don't understand whats is going on. Is the skelly being hit or not? There are 3 hits. 1 looks like a block and it produces sparks. Another looks like a hit (judging by the fact that it hit the body and not the shield), but still produces sparks like when the hit was blocked. Another one is neither, there are still sparks, but the skelly jerks the hand with a shield really fast.

That's one of two combat issues I still want to look into before starting the alpha testing (the other one is making hits connect properly).
The enemy's blocking state is actually re-using player code here. For the player, defense is angle-based in relation to the forward vector of his camera view. In first person view this is more comfortable than, lets say, basing blocks on the location of your shield - if you did it that way, you'd be hit by almost every overhead attack, despite the fact, that you have your shield up.

Now - since I'm currently re-using that piece of code - the same stuff also applies to the enemies and instead of a block based on the location of their shield, they still get to block things based on the incoming attack's angle. Therefore, the second attack in that gif doesn't land - the blocking state is already entered, but it is independent from the actual animation and location of the shield. Instead it is based on the angle of the attack, which is fairly frontal.
I'll probably define a volume for the shield and check hits on that instead. Not really a big thing - the question is, how well that piece of code goes with parrying enemies.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Not sure anymore how it worked in Amnesia, but you can pick these objects up and throw them around.

Then pretty much like Amnesia.
I said Amnesia because it was the first thing that came to mind.

However in Amnesia you could also rotate objects and move them closer/furhter from you. And door, chests, drawers, etc, all opened with your mouse movement.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I haven't implemented any rotation for held objects, but you can move them closer/further with the mousewheel.
Helps a lot when you are trying to precisely place an object somewhere (for example, dough in an oven - though I gotta say, I formed a habit of throwing those in there from a distance).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't implemented any rotation for held objects, but you can move them closer/further with the mousewheel.
Helps a lot when you are trying to precisely place an object somewhere (for example, dough in an oven - though I gotta say, I formed a habit of throwing those in there from a distance).
can you make bread and pies like in arx fatalis?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
And that game mechanic didn't catch on for a very obvious reason...
Valve used object physics to kickass effect.
Half Life was all about the gravity gun.
Portal puzzles almost always included throwing objects, colliding objects with other objects, or blocking projectiles with objects.

Dark Messiah let you use objects to fuck shit up.

Crysis lets you throw pretty much anything, and it's a blast.

TES lets you manipulate objects, though it's really only useful for decorating and generally fucking around.
Skyrim introduced a couple new things:
rotating objects to get clues on puzzles is cool, though Bethesda squandered its usage; and
a vampire lord can pick up enemies with telekinesis and toss them anywhere.
Half baked as usual, but that's Bethesda's fault, not the mechanic's.

Thal

Prophet
can you make bread and pies like in arx fatalis?

For the moment you can bake bread. I might add pies/pastry when I find some time to make those 3D models.

I hope you won't be devoting too much time for these mechanics. I know fishing and popcorn are one of the things that people remember UU for, but they are not what they played the game for, even if they genuinely believe that themselves. It mostly was the level design, open world, quest design, dialogue trees, graphics and sound, and the most advanced combat system at the time. These things will add to the game only if the rest is already top notch.

I'll admit, leeches were a nice touch, and probably jaw dropping at the time. But once you discovered it and used them once, what then?

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Added a reveal spell and made it available with a new item.

The spell shows the secret but not the button/mechanism/lever to open it.

I also re-implemented the stealth system - more precisely enemy hearing and an AI search state. The latter is still very basic but functional. AI perception code is now relatively cleaned up and easily expandable if necessary.
Gotta go through the list again, but with that I believe the biggest remaining issue is the (sinfully ugly) user interface - not that it doesn't work or is uncomfortable to use, it's just not very pretty. Also I still have to take a closer look at the newly implemented blocking mechanic. It basically works like I described it earlier in the thread, but it might require some re-balancing.

Apart from minor stuff (some lighting issues, odd ragdoll physics, etc) I believe... that's it.
I'll be gathering feedback soon and add more content.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope you won't be devoting too much time for these mechanics. I know fishing and popcorn are one of the things that people remember UU for, but they are not what they played the game for, even if they genuinely believe that themselves.
however if you do have time/resourcesto develop that kind of thing, you can always use it to fill fun content.

arx fatalis spoiler
you can give the fat goblin king diarrhea by poisoning making him apple pie laced with poison, made him run to his room, unlocking the door and get the item you need

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom