Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Anyone getting this?

I'm slightly interested. I like that the action looks non-braindead, in that you have to observe the monsters' patterns and react well to their attacks. I dislike that it looks like a grindy MMO in other aspects.

What do you think? Is it a reason to play Wii U for something other than SNES F-Zero?

nihil

Augur
Think this needs to go in JRPG discussion, bawss.

It's mostly an action game, I think, but perhaps. Someone feel free to move it if that's the case.

There is a demo on the eShop I think.

Yeah. I tried it, but it didn't say a lot. The combat seems alright, as long as they keep throwing new challenges at you. I would like to know if the game introduces more complexity throughout. More difficult monster behaviors, more items that need to be understood and used well, etc. If 5 hours in every fight boils down to the same steps it will get boring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There should just be an 'Anime Faggotry General Gaming' sub-forum.

nihil

Augur
Of course it looks retarded. At least it seems to be void of any attempt at taking itself seriously.

Castanova

Prophet
I played MH3 on the Wii. The fact that after each time you kill a regular monster you need to watch a 5-second unskippable cutscene of your character butchering the monster for parts made me quit playing after about 2 hours. Also the control scheme was pretty bad.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played MH3 on the Wii. The fact that after each time you kill a regular monster you need to watch a 5-second unskippable cutscene of your character butchering the monster for parts made me quit playing after about 2 hours. Also the control scheme was pretty bad.
Yes, I too cannot stand spending 5 seconds out of every 45 minutes gathering loot.

I'd elaborate, but I need to get back to MM3, I have to identify, reequip, and sell a few dozen items I got in the last 10 minutes.

(Though to be fair the Wii one babies the fuck out of you with pussy monsters for hours since they wanted to bring in a new audience, presumably of retards that bought a Wii so they could play tennis or whatever the fuck)

Castanova

Prophet
Yes, I too cannot stand spending 5 seconds out of every 45 minutes gathering loot.

I'd elaborate, but I need to get back to MM3, I have to identify, reequip, and sell a few dozen items I got in the last 10 minutes.

(Though to be fair the Wii one babies the fuck out of you with pussy monsters for hours since they wanted to bring in a new audience, presumably of retards that bought a Wii so they could play tennis or whatever the fuck)

What the devil? I distinctly remember spending 10-15 seconds killing a single enemy and 5 seconds "looting" them. Repeat that hundreds of time and it adds up. If you can name a reason why the looting animation couldn't be instantaneous then perhaps I'd see where you're coming from.

Damned Registrations

It's not even close to 5 seconds, it's more like 3, and I'm pretty sure the animation is shorter on little guys too. It only takes a significant amount of time if you need to loot multiple things, which you can only do off larger monsters that take much much longer to kill. (Or the things you get raw meat from, but there is no need to loot or kill those anyways, you don't build any weapons out of raw meat.) It's set up this way so you can't loot shit easily in the middle of a fight. The corpses rot within 30 seconds or so, so if you're fighting a pack of 12+ monsters you need to actually fight them instead of picking them off casually and getting the loot for it. There's also a skill to cut the looting animation time in half. And I think one to avoid getting stunned out of the looting animation. There are also a few fights where you can loot a monster while it's still alive, which are obviously rather timing sensitive.

This is beside the point anyways, since looting shit smaller than an elephant pretty much only gives you materials for the shittiest equipment. You can just not bother looting them if you want, it's akin to picking flowers in an elder scrolls game or looting shit weapons to sell. They even added the farm thing so you don't have to run around gathering other minor shit either (which you do need to do for potions and shit unless you're freaking amazing), you just do it all at your farm, and generally get all the items at once at that, instead of having to pick them individually.

The main thing they DID fuck up in the game where tediousness is concerned is that in order to gain ranks you need to complete certain missions out of the ones available. But there's no way of knowing which missions those are without looking it up online, so instead of doing 4 out of 15 you'll probably end up doing 12 out of 15 instead, which is fucking retarded since a lot of the missions are boring redundant shit killing monsters or gathering shit you didn't want to in the first place.

But yeah, as far as the looting goes, once you get to the actual game your hunts take upwards of half an hour, and you loot the same corpse 4 times in a row at the end (and maybe an extra loot or two off a tail or broken horn or something.) which is so insignificant it's a joke. Hell, I've spent HOURS trying to solo some of the harder fights, failing over and over, before getting to loot anything at all.

This is what 95% of the game is actually like. Except normally it's a lot harder, since this guy is making a video to show off how he can fight a monster using an overpowered weapon and armor made specifically for this fight. Even then, the fight takes over 25 minutes to finish. But I had to find a video where someone actually loots something (there are colliseum fights that are of fixed difficulty you can find pretty easily, though they're also shortened a lot compared to real hunts they force you to use specific weapon+ item loadouts given to you) You can see him looting it a few times at the very end, around the 8 minute mark.

Damned Registrations

There actually was a PC MH game, but it was only ever released in japan. I'm assuming it did fairly well considering they bothered to update it and released an anniversary edition of the game over 5 years later.

Maybe one day they'll release the game in english on a decent platform. The PSP games are great and added tons of stuff, but fuck if I can stand using those controls and staring at that tiny ass screen for so long. Instead they give us waggle controls and a reboot for babby's first monster hunter when they're willing to put it on a TV. Probably better off hoping Dragon's Dogma inclines some more at this point.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I played the 3DS demo. The mechanics are fine, I guess, but the boss/monster battles are complete battles of attrition taking like twenty minutes each. I don't think I have the patience to spend twenty minutes rolling out of the way of the same obvious choreographed attacks again and again.

Damned Registrations

The more difficult fights are a lot less obvious. Though they're still rather tedious, since instead of simply hacking away constantly you just have to sit back and wait for the monster to stop raging for several minutes at a time unless you feel like getting one shotted by an attack a fucking cat couldn't have avoided. Made me rage quit one of the PSP games, trying to fight a bastard for 45 minutes then watching the clock tick down to automatic failure because you had to sit around for 15 minutes over the course of the fight while it spazzed out at hyper speed with double damage and an extra moveset.

I rather like the attrition element though, having to be careful about what items you bring to the fight and how you use them rather than just having infinite healing available makes things interesting.

nihil

Augur
Though they're still rather tedious, since instead of simply hacking away constantly you just have to sit back and wait for the monster to stop raging for several minutes at a time unless you feel like getting one shotted by an attack a fucking cat couldn't have avoided.

That sounds pretty horrible. Is it at least impossible to just hack away when the monsters are not raging? "Challenging combat, sit back and wait, repeat" is a lot better than "mash button, sit back and wait, repeat".

stabby

Learned
That sounds pretty horrible. Is it at least impossible to just hack away when the monsters are not raging? "Challenging combat, sit back and wait, repeat" is a lot better than "mash button, sit back and wait, repeat".

Though I can't say for certainty this does apply to the console-based MH3s, but the general rule of the series is Button Mashing = Instant Death. Essentially precise timing matters when attacking, as there's something of a delay between button press & attack connecting (Basically put, Big Freakin' Sword actually swings like a big freakin' sword unlike most games) which does leave you vulnerable for a second or two (depending on the weapon of choice that is). So, attacking with wild abandon will usually get you killed, while stepping back, patiently looking for that opening and taking advantage of it is what will keep you alive.

Also, keep in mind that healing potions & other status buffs do have a 3-5 second animation where you stand still, meaning trying to heal yourself next to a monster is a no-no as well. I've noticed this it usually what makes or breaks the game for most people (other than the PSP's Finger Hook control scheme), so it's best to mention that right away so you can decide if that's your game or not.

Maybe one day they'll release the game in english on a decent platform. The PSP games are great and added tons of stuff, but fuck if I can stand using those controls and staring at that tiny ass screen for so long.
Question, have you given the Remote Joy plugin a shot by chance? I do recall that it'll let you export the video to a PC as your playing (as I know the video cables for TV aren't cheap), and I think there's also an option somewhere to use an external controller to play as well, though I can't remember if it's from another plugin or a hardware hack.

Oh, as for PC games I do remember there is/was an MMO (not sure if it's active still) that was also Japan only for a while, but then Korean servers popped up. The interesting point about that is that a lot of US/Europe based fans did manage to find a way to play on those servers, which essentially came down to identity theft because it requires a Korean social insurance number (or whatever it's referred to as there) to play, with many justifying the stealing of one because they had a 'Right' to play. Oh Internet... :roll:

Still, from what I heard of it, it sounds like it translated very well to an instance based MMO, guessing that they felt there's just not enough of a fanbase in the West to justify the cost of bringing it over.

nihil

Augur
Though I can't say for certainty this does apply to the console-based MH3s, but the general rule of the series is Button Mashing = Instant Death. Essentially precise timing matters when attacking, as there's something of a delay between button press & attack connecting (Basically put, Big Freakin' Sword actually swings like a big freakin' sword unlike most games) which does leave you vulnerable for a second or two (depending on the weapon of choice that is). So, attacking with wild abandon will usually get you killed, while stepping back, patiently looking for that opening and taking advantage of it is what will keep you alive.

Also, keep in mind that healing potions & other status buffs do have a 3-5 second animation where you stand still, meaning trying to heal yourself next to a monster is a no-no as well. I've noticed this it usually what makes or breaks the game for most people (other than the PSP's Finger Hook control scheme), so it's best to mention that right away so you can decide if that's your game or not.

Yep, I got that from the demo, and I like it. The people complaining about the long and uninterruptable animations are missing the point, I think. I guess they expect God of War where every button combination produces a nice, flowing combo, etc.

stabby

Learned
Pretty much. I'll admit that it caught me off guard at first, but it did grow on me quite well. Just a shame that the series has gotten progressively easier and more, ugh, streamlined as it's gone on.

... seriously, bloody pop-ups to show that you're at a gathering point in MH3P.... *grumble*

Damned Registrations

This, pretty much. It's just frustrating as hell with certain weapons because the ratio of looking for openings to taking advantage gets a lot higher. It probably doesn't help that I tended to favour the longswords, which are the slowest weapon you can use that doesn't actually let you block attacks. So you have to be somewhere safe at the end of every attack or you're fucked.

This is a pretty good example of the combat. It's using the most defensive weapon (it's quick AND you can block, which lets you be fairly aggressive compared to most weapons), but other than that, it's of an appropriate challenge level, there's no cheesy strategy being used, the player uses some offensive consumables in the first few minutes, and gets hit by the monster after the 5 minute mark and barely survives. It's one of the lower level monsters, but it's at least of the category that actually qualifies as being a monster, unlike the oversized chickens.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You can't spend 10 seconds looting a monster corpse after a 1-2 hours of battle, but you will spend the next 3 hours bashing crates and boxes to loot some banal vendor trash. But seriously, I can't see gathering getting annoying unless you do specifically gathering runs, and even then you can equip gear to make you gather resources faster. And it's mostly there just for the extra competition online.

Damned Registrations

Question, have you given the Remote Joy plugin a shot by chance? I do recall that it'll let you export the video to a PC as your playing (as I know the video cables for TV aren't cheap), and I think there's also an option somewhere to use an external controller to play as well, though I can't remember if it's from another plugin or a hardware hack.
Just finished setting this up, been wanting something like this for ages. Much :bro: to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom