Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I will be buying a Switch just for this game.

The more I played MH:W, the more I wanted the MH4U experience. I didn't really like several of the quality of life changes in MHW, for instance I use gathering as a winding down acitvity between several hunts. ~4 of hunting = ~30m harvesting, unless I need something desperately. I like the slow pace of gathering, it feels kind of zen.

Eating every 10m at camp. Never really used this. I usually practice fighting dinosaurs in free roam, and if I cart I just keep trying. If I need to practice fighting a dinosaur I can only get in a mission then I save enough money to fight the dinosaur (MH:W quests don't cost money) as many times as it takes. I choose to cart a bunch of times and adjust my strategy rather than constantly use resources to try and beat the dinosaur.

I loved the level design in MH4U and the arena-esque areas to fight dinosaurs. I am not too fond of the MH:W level design, but this is mostly a personal thing.

What is everyone else's take on this?

Vorark

Erudite
You'll love Generations if gathering is your thing. :lol:

Anyway, you could test XX on the 3DS emulator before commiting to a system purchase, unless there are other Switch games you're interested in.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Isn't Generations an improvement on MH4U? According to Gaijin Hunter they rebalanced Generations Ultimate over the original as well.

Taurist

Scholar
No. Generations is a weird mash up of the earlier titles, with an added gamebreaking Styles system. I was not a big fan. General fan opinion was much the same. Generations emulates perfectly on Citra if you want to give it a quick shot before buying.

Perkel

Arcane
MHGU is basically "greatests hits" of mh games. They take old environments from past games and most of titular monsters from those games, instead of one village you have 4 each representing "generation".

Honestly it is not that bad and it has absolute shitload of content but they went retarded with stupid quests. If you also want to generally make pants out of monsters and weapons then this is best mh game as it provides the most amount of weapons and armors.

But like someone said MH4U is better, it might not have styles/arts and slightly less content but it is much harder, 60fps instead of 30 and it is much much much tigter quest wise.

mogwaimon

Magister
MH4U may be better but unless you can emulate 3DS pretty well, can put up with input lag from redirecting video/input to your PC using a hacked New 3DS, or just don't mind playing on portable you can't play it on a big screen like with MHGU. Maybe it's just me but playing demanding action games on the 3DS or any portable is impossible without breaking your hands. Does anyone have any info on how well MH4U runs on Citra now? I always look around but people are more concerned with playing Pokemon and the Citra compatibility entry is months behind. Of course that doesn't take unofficial builds into account either.

Regarding MHGU I can't wait either, I bought a Switch basically just for that and the new Smash. World is great fun but it lacks content of course.

Perkel

Arcane
Does anyone have any info on how well MH4U runs on Citra now? I always look around but people are more concerned with playing Pokemon and the Citra compatibility entry is months behind.

MHXX emulation is perfect aside from monster roars which tend to slow down game as for MH4U it got to pretty decent shape:

just recorded this for you:

To get it running good you need to first switch ON stereoscopic 3D in options and then once in game in village turn it OFF. For some reason game doesn't want to move past 60% speed if you don't do that, once you do it game runs at 100% all the time*

*single player ingame cinematics are currently suuuuper slow if you play anything above native resolution. Gameplay runs without issues but those ingame cinematics can completely stop your quest if you are unlucky as they can sometimes crawl to 1fps per few seconds.

multiplayer works without single issue and you can now play multiplayer in citra as citra has build in wi-fi room hosting build in.

mogwaimon

Magister
Does anyone have any info on how well MH4U runs on Citra now? I always look around but people are more concerned with playing Pokemon and the Citra compatibility entry is months behind.

MHXX emulation is perfect aside from monster roars which tend to slow down game as for MH4U it got to pretty decent shape:

just recorded this for you:

To get it running good you need to first switch ON stereoscopic 3D in options and then once in game in village turn it OFF. For some reason game doesn't want to move past 60% speed if you don't do that, once you do it game runs at 100% all the time*

*single player ingame cinematics are currently suuuuper slow if you play anything above native resolution. Gameplay runs without issues but those ingame cinematics can completely stop your quest if you are unlucky as they can sometimes crawl to 1fps per few seconds.

multiplayer works without single issue and you can now play multiplayer in citra as citra has build in wi-fi room hosting build in.

Looking good, thanks. I was a bit worried there were some issues that hadn't been found yet like crashing or super slowdown during effects in the late-game since I've experienced such things in the past with modern emulation (for instance Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix is/was listed as perfectly playable in PCSX2 but in late-game during the Night on Bald Mountain sequence the game liked to crash randomly mid-fight and no one knew why when I did my playthrough some years back before the HD remixes came ouit)

Hopefully by the time I get to 4U everything will be ironed out like that stereoscopic glitch you mentioned. Too hype for Gen U to start a 4U save right now, haha. But your vid helped a lot, no one I've seen has even mentioned the stereoscopic 3D fix.

I find it very hard to go back to 'old' MH after MHW. Although the new game has much less content, the stages are just so much better and I find the gathering/small monster shit is better integrated. Also the interplay between monsters never gets old.

With the inevitable G update, which will hopefully bring many more monsters to the game, it will by far be the best MH IMO.

Regarding MH4U emulation, it runs pretty much flawlessly on the latest Citra Canary branch. Tested yesterday.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing MHGU for two afternoons now. Progressing slowly, but enjoyably. The content this game has is astounding. The combat is incredibly satisfying. I wont be going back to MHW in its current state. MHW's combat feels impactless and unsatisfying in comparison to MHGU. The only satisfaction I got was from Negrigante, but that is it, all the other elder dragons were boring to fight.

Pulling off the GS art that scrapes the weapon across the ground is so satisfying that it makes me jump out of my chair. The Adept evade and counter are truly game changing and amazingly satisfying when you pull it off correctly. Not to mention the occasional hyper armour I get with the GS (I still don't know how to pull this off all the time or what is causing it).

If the devs can merge the best of both games into one then I am in 100%, but for now MHGU is the only MH game I will be playing. According to rumours there will be a dedicated MH game for the Switch, as this game is a port only for the Switch. I will be keeping my eyes open.

EDIT:
evade = avade

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
30fps unfortunately. :(

I just got used to it, but it was very jarring at first.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I carted once at the Tetsucabra. :(
He was aggro, and I was aggro and eventually it ended up being toxic!

I kept missing some vital blows, and so the combat went on far too long, 7 minutes. The Adept evade is some seriously amazing skill, basically rewarding a well timed reflexive dodge (and possible block, but I rarely block with my GS), and so putting yourself in danger can net you a super powerful hit. This is a really fun and perfect style of combat for me.

Look at my cool armour for the trouble.

EDIT:
OMG! look who's back!!

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The only thing MHGU has going for it is more content (monster variety).

Downsides?

- Loading areas between each zone.

- boring ass zones.

- PS2.5 era graphics.

- dogshit controls (can't strafe fire with LBG?! lmao)

- having to buy whetstones

- slow ass gathering for ALL gathering nodes

- misc QoL changes missing

I remember trying MH Tri and hating it: ugly as fuck and controls were awful. FFS the lance in that game handled worse than the lance in MHW and I hate the lance in MHW!

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
The only thing MHGU has going for it is more content (monster variety).

Downsides?

- Loading areas between each zone.
A couple of seconds. Not really noticeable.

- boring ass zones.
They are zones from previous games. They aren't very detailed, but they are very clear, something I wish MHW would do a better job of.

- PS2.5 era graphics.
Can't really argue here. Personally I do not mind the graphics, and their simplicity makes it easier to concentrate on the issue at hand.

- dogshit controls (can't strafe fire with LBG?! lmao)
I don't play ranged builds. Melee seems as in MHW, but with the added styles and hunter arts is far more satisfying, not to mention the awesome impacts on monsters, especially when hitting a weakspot. I prefer this to MHW's damage numbers. Damage numbers don't hurt either though.

- having to buy whetstones
I bought 20 of them and just restock every so often when I rebuy my potions, antidotes. Not an issue tbh.

- slow ass gathering for ALL gathering nodes
Play as prowler when gathering. It is faster, but yeah you have to hold down the button for several seconds. Ultimately not an issue because you get a whole bunch of mats in one go, moreso than in MHW.

- misc QoL changes missing
I've been playing MHGU for 3 days now, and I do not remember a single QOL change which I miss from MHW. Keep in mind you have Item sets (what is in inventory), and I keep one for hunts and when gathering I simply choose an empty set and use my prowler to fetch stuff as they have infinite stamina and gathering tools so you never need to buy or create gathering tools like nets, pickaxes, etc...

Also, I have only had to do 2 gathering quests in village quests. All of the others are hunts, and hunting small animals usually nets you a big one, which may also be part of a subquest (Iodrome) which will net you more money if you hunt it and coincidently you will also complete the main quest (hunt 10 Ioprey for instance).

I remember trying MH Tri and hating it: ugly as fuck and controls were awful. FFS the lance in that game handled worse than the lance in MHW and I hate the lance in MHW!

EDIT: Iopre = Ioprey

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I would say it is a ton better than Tri, but then again I also loved Tri. If you like MHW then it is probably best to stick to it if you can't stand certain aspects of MHGU.

The only QOL issue I really loathed in MHW was the potions taking forever to heal you and having a large monster do an area attack and cart me, despite being far off (cat that aggros the monster pops up right next to me :( ). Potions instantly refill your HP in MHGU, but you have to stand still for 2-3 seconds, and the cat AI seems a ton better as they don't drag monsters toward me like they did in MHW. :argh:

Perkel

Arcane
Tri is 3 generation of MH games while MHGU is 4th generation. So it is better.

Tri also had like 16 big monsters about 1/10 of weapons and armor and few weapon less)

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I should also mention that I read https://mhgu.kiranico.com/ quests and note down the key quests only on a post it note and stick it on my monitor. There aren't more than a handful you need to write down, only 5 for village 3 star quests. The other quests are marked urgent and you don't need to write those down.

People also underestimate what variety there is in MHGU. You literally have all kinds of crazy monsters to fight which makes combat very fun and interesting throughout the game. The simpler larger enemies die within a few minutes and the more interesting ones take longer, but the combat is the peak of the whole series, at least for GS users like myself.

Future of MH:
https://youtu.be/bTP1KP-F2Yg

A shareholder meeting revealed that old school MH will continue as will MHW. They will run parallel to each other simply because they appeal to different audiences. QOL changes from MHW will make it to tradional MH in some ways (although the most important ones already exist in some way in MHGU i.e. playing as a Prowler for gathering). There is confirmation that there will be a new and dedicated version of MH on the Switch coming out in future as well. Look out for that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
ok so I downloaded the MHGU demo.

Button Layout:

Somewhat awkward but I swtich L/R with ZL/ZR and it worked. Not too bad.

Item controls:

The lack of radial menu is just bad. Actually switching ammo types and items is... ok. no issues there. Using potions reminds me of Dark Souls except the heal is nearly instant but the delay is longer. It's different from World but not a deal breaker.

Switching items

I tried the Light Bowgun:

bwhahahahahahaha what the fuck is this shit controls? ok the manual reloading is...whatever. BUT HAVING TO STOP TO AIM AND SHOOT WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF THE LIGHT BOWGUN MAY AS WELL USE HEAVY BOWGUN

I tried the Dual Blade:

Well for one I have no idea how to enter Demon Mode. I press my ZR but I just do a dash that expends a ton of stamina. Controls are somewhat similar to World. Do I need to have my weapon sheathed to enter Demon Mode?

I failed to kill the easy mode monster (bird Raptor) with the LBG since I wasn't used to the controls. Killed him with the Dual Blades in 15 minutes.

OH AND YA KNOW WHAT I FUCKING LOVE WHEN THE MONSTER GOES NEAR THE EDGE OF THE MAP AND THEN I ENTER ANOTHER MAP TRYING TO ATTACK IT

yeah I don't care if this game has 800+ hours of content: I doubt I could tolerate even 80 minutes of this shit. The controls are just so, so, so bad like I remember from Tri.

Vorark

Erudite
A shareholder meeting revealed that old school MH will continue as will MHW. They will run parallel to each other simply because they appeal to different audiences.

It's possible.

When World was just a rumour, there were also talks about the Portable line making a comeback (the last entry was Portable 3rd on the PSP). It would be a return to the PS2/PSP dynamic: full-fledged MH (aka mainline) on consoles/PC and the lite editions released under the Portable subseries, likely on the Switch.

That dynamic never existed. The most complete versions have historically been the portable versions.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
It is unfortunate that the portable versions feel more complete and have the most development done to them. I hated the fact that a game that would function best on a desktop console/pc is getting most of its development on a portable devices because of a Japanese audience. I loved it when my 3DS XL would snap my fingers because the action got a little too wild with MH4U.

With MHW's success I am hoping the rest of the world will be getting a lot more, but that also depends on how future sales go as well. The Japanese market has been loyale to the series and even if somewhere down the line sales plummet on the MHW franchise we will still have the less mainstream version.

Nintendo were bloody smart in merging their portable and desktop consoles into a single system. I would never even have bought a Switch if it weren't for MHGU. It also means that I can enjoy playing the games with a controller and not a shitty handheld that will make my hands fall off.

Vorark

Erudite
That dynamic never existed. The most complete versions have historically been the portable versions.

Did you play MH2? The monsters you could hunt changed according to the season, the day/night cycle affected enemy placements and gathering points. Things like these never made it to Freedom 2 or Freedom Unite, for example. Portable 3rd was part of the third generation but had the water areas, a major feature, gutted. I agree they are the superior versions, but something was always missing in the Portable line.

After the series jumped to Nintendo consoles, things changed and the Portable subseries was put to rest. We got Tri -> 3U and then 4 -> 4U, followed by Gen -> GU. These were all mainline games, despite most being on the 3DS.

Now, imagine if Capcom decides to release "Monster Hunter Portable World" for the Switch. It's basically World, except it returns to closed areas. That's the kind of thing you would expect from a game in the Portable line.

Last edited:
With MHW's success I am hoping the rest of the world will be getting a lot more, but that also depends on how future sales go as well. The Japanese market has been loyale to the series and even if somewhere down the line sales plummet on the MHW franchise we will still have the less mainstream version.

MHW is already the best-selling Japanese game of all time on PC (a month since its release). It sold over 10 million copies, which is crazy when you think about it - it's more than all-time sales of Half Life 2, for example. It would be surprising if that's not enough to get Capcom to promote some kind of parity now between console and PC versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom