Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Iceborn will be placed after main story.
You end story at high rank.
Which means this is G-rank.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Very doubtful. They would be parading G-Rank if they were adding it since it's a big deal. All the monsters from the base game would have to get new G-Rank AI & moves, weapons would have to get new upgrade ranks and all the armor sets would have to get new G-Rank models on top of adding the new content. It doesn't really seem like they're doing this. Even the promo picture has the hunters wearing HR armor. This is just Capcom extending HR for as long as they can before rolling out the G-Rank, my guess is that they will do a couple of these expansions before that happens.

Kitchen Utensil

I have no desire whatsoever to play more of their retarded story with unskippable cutscenes. The game's concept is nice, but this implementation for the western market as a gaas (i.e. MHW) sucks. Too much shit story, not enough good content.

Very doubtful. They would be parading G-Rank if they were adding it since it's a big deal. All the monsters from the base game would have to get new G-Rank AI & moves, weapons would have to get new upgrade ranks and all the armor sets would have to get new G-Rank models on top of adding the new content. It doesn't really seem like they're doing this. Even the promo picture has the hunters wearing HR armor. This is just Capcom extending HR for as long as they can before rolling out the G-Rank, my guess is that they will do a couple of these expansions before that happens.

I'm also not getting my hopes up just yet, but don't you think it's a little too early to start making all of these assumptions? The expansion is 10 months away, and aside from a few reveal glimpses (which don't reveal much), we know nothing else about it. I also highly doubt they're aiming for multiple expansions, as this will likely be the only major addition before they focus on the potential sequel. I'm just going to put all of this in the back of my mind until more information is released.

In the mean time, here's a sneak preview of arch-tempered Nergigante:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
MHW followed exact same patern as previous games.
every single new MH game released without g-rank.
G-rank was always something they added after a while.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Then why the fck is everyone whining so much? They never seemed to shut up about baby difficulty, lack of content and other shit. As a dude who finally found fun in a monster hunter game I want punch crush their fuckin faces.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Then why the fck is everyone whining so much? They never seemed to shut up about baby difficulty, lack of content and other shit. As a dude who finally found fun in a monster hunter game I want punch crush their fuckin faces.
You'll understand once you get to G-Rank yourself. G-Rank isn't as pedestrian as simply giving enemies a stat boost, it's about shaking things up by making monster AI more advanced and giving them more moves. This makes for far more intense and exciting combat than what LR and HR could offer, especially if you're a series veteran. Monster Hunter World is a nice series entry for new people, as you can probably relate to that, and it's nice for vets to have a real MonHun not on a handheld, which is by far the worst way of playing these games, but the lack of challenge was a big problem in holding our attention. Getting G-Rank is a big deal and means a lot to the long time fans since that's what most veterans care about.

Ivan

Arcane
Is it possible to start a fight with a large monster and finish it off in one encounter, or will ever hunt require a chase? are there traps or tools we can use to prevent them from escaping?

Not sure if it has to do with the weapon I'm using (insect glaive) but I'm finding that an alarming amount of my blows are bouncing off of enemies. I just killed this puffball and it was pretty unenjoyable. I mean the giant mammoth in the desert I get, he looks bulky and rocky, but I was hitting this puffball over and over again and my blows were just bouncing off for the most part. WTF

E64F363CA5FECB3A80313F695AA172A37B7C51A4

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Is it possible to start a fight with a large monster and finish it off in one encounter, or will ever hunt require a chase? are there traps or tools we can use to prevent them from escaping?

Not sure if it has to do with the weapon I'm using (insect glaive) but I'm finding that an alarming amount of my blows are bouncing off of enemies. I just killed this puffball and it was pretty unenjoyable. I mean the giant mammoth in the desert I get, he looks bulky and rocky, but I was hitting this puffball over and over again and my blows were just bouncing off for the most part. WTF

Yeah, the first encounters would have them flee. Hunts will require you chase 95% of the time, that 5% is when you have the build/traps/etc. enough to finish it in one encounter through high damage, stunlocks, etc. basically going for sub-5 or sub-7 minutes.

Take note of your Sharpness aka the sword-like gauge below your stamina. Your sharpness is on red in that screenshot which basically makes you bounce all your attacks and significantly reduces damage. Use a whetstone to replenish sharpness.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you don't like chasing them there are few things you can do in general that make it way less likely- do hunts with more than one target (this reduces their hp so it's easier to finish them before they can flee) and capture them by using a trap after they drop the second red slinger ammo. You can tranq them before using the trap to make things easier so if you trap them and they're still thrashing, you have time to land a few more hits and put them under the threshold to be captured.

Lastly, if you see a monster running away, try hitting it with a scatternut (and later, crystal burst) as that type of ammo is basically guaranteed to cause a flinch when it hits, which usually interrupts their AI pattern so they stop fleeing.

Letting the monster flee so you get to sleep bomb it can be a big advantage though, and capturing a monster means you have about 20% less damage you can put towards trying to cut tails and break horns and such before the hunt is over. I usually capture stuff anyways, but if you're desperate for a specific part you can break...

Ivan

Arcane
thanks for the tips, I see where I done goofed.

I'm using the Insect Glaive and there's a moment when the pc glows red and enters a powered up state, I associated this color with "strong" so when I saw my weapon gauge was in the red, I thought it was "charged" up but in fact meant that it was dull AF.

Lots to learn. I haven't even spent much time using items, will do so more tonight...

Ivan

Arcane
While informative, I enjoy the "learning" part first, but yes there is some obfuscation, but I see it as part of the game's charm.

Perkel

Arcane
Arekz gaming actually pointed out obvious.
We will get G-rank Anjanath version because this is clearly new design of anjanath armor.
Also bearded armor ?

Monster-Hunter-World-Iceborn.jpg

mhw anja armor:

anja_armor_set_female_mhw_wiki_guide.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Is it advised to not use armor upgrades until buying Level 3+, ie is it pointless upgrading the starting 3 armor sets?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Still haven't played this yet thanks to being a DRM kiked steam exclusive, but it's starting to look worth it based on if the expansion adds G rank.
And CD projekt red is engaging in prostitution.

Perkel

Arcane
Is it advised to not use armor upgrades until buying Level 3+, ie is it pointless upgrading the starting 3 armor sets?

Use them. Either way later those blue armor stones will be usless as whole stack of them hardly will improve later armors.

Damned Registrations

Been trying to take out the arch tempered kirin and getting spanked. I think I should probably have significantly better gear for this, but it seems like such an easy fight in principle, the fucker is so squishy and I can basically just chain stun a normal kirin to death in no time at all. I'm going to chalk it up to much better/more aggressive AI punishing me for the aggressive playstyle I used on the normal one. Edit: I was under the impression it didn't have extra hp, but apparently thats only normal tempered monsters. This explains a lot. Time to ditch the hammer for this fight.

Last edited:

Phobos

Novice
Generally for Arch tempered fights you should take lvl 3 HP (for Kirin I would also take lvl 3 lighting def) and have max leveled armor. Kirin is also easy mode with the Bow, especially on the PC with tweaked key bindings.

Damned Registrations

Yeah I still need a stupid gem for 3rd health charm. I got lvl3 thunder res but lots of stuff is still a ohko during rage. Most of my weapons are pretty weak. I'll do the triple tempered elder fight instead and get some gear first. Lunastra weapons seem pretty good.

Ivan

Arcane
is progressing the story the fastest/most efficient way of unlocking new weapon upgrades?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom