Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait archtempered monsters aren't just tempered monsters with more health and damage ?
Color me suprised. I stopped playing before they got into game in wait till G-rank.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I dunno about most of them but the arch tempered kulve they announced recently apparently has new attacks. I just did Vaal Hazak and it /seemed/ like he did some stuff differently, I definitely never got fucked by the miasma much by the original. Then again, that could just be due to that one getting staggered too often to build it up. Same with the kirin. I thought tempered monsters were just straight up damage bonuses?

Perkel

Arcane
Tempered are just straight up damage/hp
I am talking about arch-tempered.

I just read about arch-tempered Zoras (lol) and it looks like now it is a challange (or should i say it went from alpha to release state)
- You need to actually repeal Nergigante
- Magma cores revive after a while
- I think people now can choose whatever they are on barrier or zoras instead of being autokicked to barrier
- You actually need to use dragonator, ropes etc to hold it off.

And from what i read all arch tempered monsters give you new armor set that looks bit different.

Still it is poor excuse for lack of g-rank

Communism in Monster Hunter World:

zxge47n0xg421.jpg

Tempered are just straight up damage/hp
I am talking about arch-tempered.

I just read about arch-tempered Zoras (lol) and it looks like now it is a challange (or should i say it went from alpha to release state)
And from what i read all arch tempered monsters give you new armor set that looks bit different.

Still it is poor excuse for lack of g-rank

It is a poor excuse, especially since some of the arch-tempered variations aren't much different from the originals (Teo and Kush), other than hp bloat and higher damage. If anything, the arch-tempered elders should have been the original versions in the base game (albeit with a little less health). As for some of the changes aside from health and damage, AT Teostra now loves to insta-charge at you (which packs a punch) and can close any distance very quickly, and he uses his supernova more often if you don't knock him out of his buff (shares this with Luna). AT Lunastra has an slightly expanded/varied moveset, and her oven-nova is much more damaging. AT Vaal Hazak's area miasma is actually deadly now, forcing many to use the miasma and health decorations, as well as focusing on healing as their health quickly deteriorates. Didn't notice anything significantly different with AT Kushala, as it was still fairly easy, even with melee. Xeno'jiva probably received the better AT upgrades so far (which were needed), being gifted with a new utility move and having an old move become much deadlier. It's also much more aggressive and quicker in its move-set execution, and is harder to knock out of the air now. Heat guard may be necessary though, as the heated crystal it generates with its chest/attacks received a damage buff, parallel to AT Vaal's miasma. Ranged will have an easier time vs melee. The only issue I had with the Xeno AT quest was the 30min time limit, which isn't an issue with a decent team, but can be frustrating if you're not mix/maxed for damage while playing solo, due to its very high health. You're correct with most of the Zorah changes you listed (it's still shit, just a little less boring / also still autokicked to the barrier), and I'll never feel any incentive to complete that bullshit slog ever again. With all that said, I still can't reiterate enough that all of these additions (even Zorah's) should have been in the base game, as the originals were not very challenging after fighting them a few times.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Because of Monster Hunter "Veterans" and their cocky talk I decided I am going to conquer the older Monster Hunters so I can talk shit too. And thus I decided to play the best, the baddest one of them all. Freedom 1.

It went about as well one expect

Now I am onto Freedom Unite. Soon motherfuckers! all of you will bowdown before my almost hardestcoreness.

Ivan

Arcane
this was the most enjoaybly tense fight I've had so far. not sure I "figured him out" but I toughed it out and got the W. I dub thee, ride the lightning
2735286D4B66DCAEBA453B0DC251E475FC3B4292

D9A4A7FAD367F7C2B391341BC29B8DA7D4A3D4F4

sullynathan

Arcane
This game is pretty amazing. I couldn't get the hang of the bow, just seemed like a lot was missing compared to the beta. While I like my heavy bow gun, I have to say it is monotonous to just keep shooting in this game when other weapons offer so much more.
I tried the great sword, a weapon I didn't care for in the past and it does so much damage and it's more my style.

I remember playing freedom & portable 3rd about 2 years ago and hoping for a lot of improvements for the monster hunter formula and this game has it and some more.

I won't be typing much because I'm sure others have gone over the games strengths.

9 hours put into the games demo and I have to say that it has whet my appetite. I just might get the full game.

Phobos

Novice
this was the most enjoaybly tense fight I've had so far. not sure I "figured him out" but I toughed it out and got the W. I dub thee, ride the lightning

Woah you beat Kirin with the Baguette stick, impressive. It's a pain in the ass because the IG locks you into all these long animations making it very hard to dodge Kirins attacks. I suggest you try him again with the Bow or Lance.

sullynathan

Arcane
I was very good with the charge blade in the beta, but now the great sword is my favorite weapon. Pounding on Anjanath is expected but Tobi-Kadachi is the best Monster so far because of how dynamically the environment changes as you fight him. It heavily reminds me of Nargacuga except less annoying.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah when i first played beta back in the day i mained gunlance/lance but now most of the time i play with GS. They made shitload of improvements to make it a lot less clunky and way more fun. That shoulder smash is fucking amazing.

Seethe

Arbiter
yeah when i first played beta back in the day i mained gunlance/lance but now most of the time i play with GS. They made shitload of improvements to make it a lot less clunky and way more fun. That shoulder smash is fucking amazing.
I didn't play it for months. What did they change about the GS? Is it actually better than CB? CB was super fucking fun, I hope it's still good

Perkel

Arcane
I didn't play it for months. What did they change about the GS? Is it actually better than CB? CB was super fucking fun, I hope it's still good

?? i talked about how different it is in MHW to previous games.

Perkel

Arcane

?? i talked about how different it is in MHW to previous games.

Oh I see. I thought they added some new changes to it in MHW

I can't follow you.

MHW GS compared to MH4U/MHXX/MHFU/MH3U:
- they changed a lot GS. Now you can even follow up ultra smash. So you have 3 move combo with each doing more damage.
- you can shoulder bash between them for quick stagger hit
- animations got a lot smoother and transitions between each move is a lot more fluid

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I don't get the comparison to Dark Souls. I watched some short videos...and it was just beat up smaller mooks until you level up (or whatever), then fight the big mook. It's more like Poke Mon...isn't it?

Zep--

Perkel

Arcane
Combat is very similar to Dark Souls.
It has the same type of style but imho behaves better than DS.

It has the same kind of "fuck yeah" when you beat really tough monster as in DS.

EDIT:

I should mention that the difference between two is that Dark Souls combat has huge luck factor while in MH hardly anything has to do with luck. What i mean by that is that in DS you can just mash buttons and be shit and you will have time where you will win while in MH especially at higher level you won't be able to win unless you know what you are doing.

This comes to HP, in DS just by stringing 5-7 random hits you can take boss to 1/4 of hp while in MH you need to consistently do that, random flukes will give you nothing.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
I don't get the comparison to Dark Souls. I watched some short videos...and it was just beat up smaller mooks until you level up (or whatever), then fight the big mook. It's more like Poke Mon...isn't it?

Zep--

My thoughts as a Monster Hunter virgin:

Most monsters are of the large quadraped type and can mostly feel like fighting those annoying large sized bosses where you must also fight the camera. Don't expect to have tense duels mano-a-mano, a la Sir Alone, Fume Knight, Gascoigne. However, attacks have toooooooons of impact and are really cool. You have to commit to the animation AND direction at which you aim your strike, kind of like old platformers where you can't redirect your trajectory after you aim your jump.

Things that grind my gears:

item upgrade trees - there's always that one ingredient that has "????" which seems to be the game's way of saying "progress the main storry tard"

I wish the hookshot was used more, i.e. I wish there were other means of traversing the environment as you level up. Not much has changed in that regard. While vine jumping can be pretty atrocious and hilariously bad, the hookshot IS fun to use, wish it was implemented more.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Ahh, not the game for me then. I was never a fan of xSouls boss fights. Always had to summon bros (for the most part) to get past them.

Zep--

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Of the three mhw probably has the highest skill ceiling and least reliance on stats. Dragon's dogma is flashier with all the magic and dark souls doesn't have much in the way of fights you can't win in a few minutes even with an average setup. Sucking in mhw is arguably the most punishing, but the baseline difficulty is also quite low. It's also similar to dark souls in that you can't win just by spamming instant heal consumables. It's definitely got the most varied enemies and weapon options of the three.

Perkel

Arcane
Things that grind my gears:
item upgrade trees - there's always that one ingredient that has "????" which seems to be the game's way of saying "progress the main storry tard"

Never liked MHW upgrade tree.
I like previous MH games version where you get new recipe only if you get most important parts.
In mhw you get blueballed and kind of takes away a lot of "what if i go this path" theorycrafting.

In previous MH games you could have favorite weapon upgrade it a bit and then you would have suddenly second upgrade path.
In MHW from start you know everything aside from items needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom