Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

mogwaimon

Magister
Except in the case of MHW the PC port was many patches behind on release, had terrible server issues, and had problems with certain graphics effects for a while, so the beta testing argument doesn't really work for this particular game...I think we won't have anymore server/port issues because the base game is in a pretty good state right now but we should count ourselves lucky if we end up with an up to date Iceborne instead of console release Iceborne.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Is gunlance going to get to MH4 IG level broken with all of the boosts in Iceborne? I'm seeing across the board increases to artillery, shelling, etc.

mogwaimon

Magister
If so, it's about time. Gunlance is one of my favorite concepts for a weapon, but it's almost universally been mediocre since its conception back in MHF. Even lance had its day in the sun with Tri.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The real question I have about the PC port... Do you ever matchmake with those god tier japanese players that flitter through the air with insect glaives like the resplendent butterflies they are?

Rajang was just revealed on the launch livestream (October DLC / gameplay next week at TGS):

1567509814011.png

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
The real question I have about the PC port... Do you ever matchmake with those god tier japanese players that flitter through the air with insect glaives like the resplendent butterflies they are?
I've played with some Japs and Koreans on random in the past. Definitely doesn't seem region locked thankfully (though it's not like MH:W is going to run out of players on Steam anytime soon).

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I eagerly await the butthurt from casuals.*
*That is, if their collective whining doesn't cause Capcom to neuter Rajang, master rank, and give players even more buffs across the board to make the game easy mode.

Perkel

Arcane
I saw now like 5 reviews where people rave about new end game mechanic and this is coming from experienced MH players but all of them don't want to spoil what it is.

Looks like "tempered monsters" will be gone and to be replaced by something way better. I wonder if they will go back to MH4U system where you had random gear with random stats on expeditions.

True.
The clutch claw looks like an addition made to live up to its name and make the game easier though.

Doesn't seem so. From review i watched:

- Clutch claw actually hurts you when monster is enraged
- Clutch claw is not riding, you can get smashed by monster depending on place you attach yourself.
- Just like in case of riding it is harder and harder to do it every time you use it.

It is more like tool.
The bigger addition which i don't see anyone talking about is use of slinger for any weapon not just sword and shield.
Load up your flashbangs and with great sword you can have multiple tier 3 shots at monsters easily.
What i gathered from reviews is that Iceborne is hard. It is no way pulling punches and that is coming from experienced players.

I eagerly await the butthurt from casuals.*
*That is, if their collective whining doesn't cause Capcom to neuter Rajang, master rank, and give players even more buffs across the board to make the game easy mode.

Archtempered versions of monsters like bahemoth shit on Rajang def from previous games. I full expect though that new Rajang will be even meaner than that one from previous games.

mogwaimon

Magister
That endgame system you spoke of might be referring to
custom weapons
, yea? If not, I wonder what it is...I'd go and search for spoilers, but seeing as we're getting the game tonight at midnight my time, well...I can wait and see on my own.

Y'all ready for tonight, boys? We gonna get tore up.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I am concerned with deploying G Rank effectively as an expansion. There's either going to be a shitton of people pissed off they paid for an expansion and can't handle more than half it's content, or a shitton of people pissed off that G-Rank isn't difficult and the entire game is just too easy.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Hopefully it is the former.

Thanks for the reassurance Perkel.
However I saw that bullshit carry armor they are releasing with Iceborne. Basically giving casuals a hand to hold.

Efe

Erudite
whats this giving a hand to casuals.. im interested.
whats the name of armor?

Perkel

Arcane
Ok some official stats without spoilers for mh nuts:

- 2 new maps
- Doubles amount of monsters base game had. 27 new monsters though some of them are sub species. Capcom kept quiet on some new monsters. Base game had 29. Which now with MHW+DLC+Iceborne brings it to around 65 large monsters. 66 if you count rajang which will be relased month later. Considering they will have DLC schedule it should cross 70 large monsters barrier.
- New armors for old armors + new armors
- Weapons extended trees mostly fix MHW problem of weapons looking the same.

So what we are looking at ? comparing to previous G rank games ?

MHFU - 58 large monsters
MH3U - 43 large monsters
MH4U - 70 large monsters
MHXX - 89 large monsters

MHW - 65 should cross 70 with all DLC later.

SO Monster Hunter World Ultimate (iceborne) is about the size of MH4U which is fucking huge. That is pretty fucking amazing considering it is such huge redesign and graphical jump.

Guardian armor I think

Doesn't really matter. To get to Master Rank you have to kill Nergigante which is pretty much mid tier G-rank monster type. So whoever reaches G-rank either way will be there because of his skill and armor will not matter much or he was taxi by someone else which also means armor will do nothing for him.

mogwaimon

Magister
The guardian armor sounds like it's a bullshit carry armor but it's got pretty non-optimal skills and low defense compared to armor you can craft in MHW base endgame. Roughly 50 def per piece while Drachen starts at 72 and ED armor is around 64 def a piece, and the skills are mostly defensive, which will actually work against a newb since the best defense in MH is a good offense.

Perkel

Arcane
27 new monsters though some of them are sub species.
any sources on that? so far iirc only 20 are officially revealed. it is obvious they keep some monsters under wrap, but the numbers seems pretty exact

People counted. There are several monsters that Capcom didn't show in trailers.
Game is out for about a week+ for a lot of reviewers and certain kind of folks.
Also why is it shocking ? Every MH game always had trailers that didn't spoil whole cast.

Good example of such monster we know of and Cacpcom didn't want to show was Yian Garuga.
It was probably shown by mistake in one of trailers as it has like split second show that autistic people found.

Efe

Erudite
since when does armor defense matter? you just unlock caps

mogwaimon

Magister
since when does armor defense matter? you just unlock caps

It matters in the context of people calling the Guardian armor n00b carry armor. You can facetank most of HR with augmented Drachen because that defense is going to be roughly 500+ all together, but with guardian armor, 50 def per piece is roughly 250 defense, which still lets HR elders hit pretty hard so you actually do have to learn the fights. Guardian armor would help with LR Anja though, but if you can't beat him without that armor then you aren't skilled enough to make it past the elders anyways.

Besides, there's a whole hunter help system in the game now so all the low ranks will get carried by master rank players trying to get weapon pendants anyways

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/...haracter-designs-and-grammeowster-chefs-stew/

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’s Kaname Fujioka And Daisuke Ichihara Talk About Deciding Which Monsters To Bring Back, Character Designs, And Grammeowster Chef’s Stew

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is upon us. Players will be able to head into a frozen biome to hunt both new and old monsters, while also enjoying some help from friendly NPCs, new mechanics, and quality of life changes. Siliconera recently had an opportunity to discuss the expansion with Kaname Fujioka, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’s Executive Director and Art Director, and Director Daisuke Ichihara.

Siliconera: What does Hoarfrost Reach take from and build up on past Monster Hunter biomes like Snowy Mountain and Polar Field?

Kaname Fujioka: We wanted to have a fresh approach for the ice and snow in the frozen areas in Iceborne, so there’s actually no stage from the past Monster Hunter games that we referenced. However, in terms of the how the ice appears translucent and the way it shows reflections, we did incorporate some of what we observed from our location research a few years back to the Argentinian glaciers for Monster Hunter 4.

Some Monster Hunter creatures seem to draw heavily from actual animals, with their appearances and behaviors being similar. What inspired the Banbaro and Beotodus and how will we see that represented both in their appearances and personalities?

Fujioka: I’m quite sure Banbaro and Beotodus are probably obvious, but we built our designs and animation with reference to buffalo and sharks, respectively.

We had decided from the early design stages that we wanted Banbaro to be a charging monster that uses its head and horns as the main focus. So with that in mind, large mammalian monsters which use their huge horns dynamically, such as buffalo and rhinoceros, were some of the references.

Beotodus is a monster who dives and keeps half of its body under deep snow. For this monster, we referenced and created its designs from sharks in how it can suddenly jump at you and snowplows for how it swims and slices through the snow.

Iceborne will bring back certain characters, such as Monster Hunter Generations’ Glavenus and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate’s Brachydios. How did you decide which creatures, like Glavenus, should come back?

Daisuke Ichihara: The entire line-up of monsters for the game was very carefully considered, not just specifically bringing back the fan-favorite monsters. The criteria varied, including factors like difficulty levels, selection of elemental features tailored to level designs, types of monsters, diversity of monster bone framework, and popularity with fans.

For Iceborne, the concept for the fields and ecosystems were already established, so we then made considerations for monsters that would interplay with these settings. For instance, Glavenus appears in Wildspire Waste to have an effect on that ecosystem. Other than the Elder Dragons, the top of the food chain in the Wildspire Waste would be Diablos and Rathian, but they are both flying wyverns, so we made sure that there are other types of monsters with different bone framework to add variety for hunts, and also to threaten their status in the food chain.

What does the design process look like when you decide to create a subspecies character like, say, Viper Tobi-Kadachi and how many steps does it involve between going from deciding which character to use and what to change?

Fujioka: First of all, as the quest rank gets higher, sub-species monsters appear and offer a higher level of difficulty than the original normal species. This isn’t just about a sub-species monsters’ strength, but the difficulty is also affected by its characteristics.

So for example, Viper Tobi-Kadachi, compared to the normal Tobi-Kadachi, was designed so that it’s not just a challenge on its usual merits, but that there’s added difficulty from having to read its movement and position. In addition, we considered the point at which this monster would appear and wanted players to have to factor for status abnormalities once again, so we decided to add poison and paralysis attributes for the subspecies.

As for the design, we wanted to have a contrast from the original blue-white which has a beauty to it, so we referenced and implemented some colors and patterns from poisonous animals.

The Grammeowster Chef has a very different look from the Meowscular Chef we’re familiar with. What was your goal with this character’s design?

Fujioka: Seliana is in a cold region, so we wanted to create the canteen to have a warm welcoming atmosphere that you would want to visit many times. Plus, beef stew is a dish that makes the hunter’s mind and body warm from the snowy land!

In contrast to Astera’s rugged wild meat dishes, we thought that the signature dish at Seliana could be a stew which is created with the Grammeowster Chef’s loving care. We wanted a skilled master chef, and decided on a very sweet and charming old grandma.

Lots of Gathering Hub quality of life changes are present, like a blacksmith setting up shop there. How did you prioritize which changes were in and out and decide, "Okay, this has to be here in the expansion?"

Ichihara: The Monster Hunter series is based around cooperative online multiplayer, so we wanted to enhance this by improving the Gathering Hub. The top priority was being able to access the game cycle within multiplayer, so we focused on the Smithy, Palico management, Bounty management, then the Research Commission and the Argosy Captain. We didn’t bring over every single facility, but rather focused on the most critical options a player may need in a more natural, convenient way.

How do you feel about the expansion approach, rather than releasing an updated game later, and has it allowed you any additional freedoms or options during development?

Ichihara: Actually, our approach is the opposite. The Monster Hunter series has released expansion versions as separate titles called “G” or “Ultimate” in the past. The biggest advantage on the development side for the “G” series was that we could make adjustments all the way down to the root of the source code, revisit the difficulty level and evaluate the overall game design.

This time round, we were able to take the same approach to Iceborne as the expanded “G” versions, so not only did we have an advantage from development, but by not releasing another separate game, we were able to keep the MH: World and Iceborne expansion communities together.

How has the team reacted to Monster Hunter World setting records for Capcom by selling over 13 million copies and have staff members felt like they has been under any additional pressure as a result?

Ichihara: I think there are people who of course felt proud and those that felt a lot of pressure. It really depends on the individual, but I do think many people feel the increased pressure. From the developer’s point of view, the number of games sold does not necessarily equal the number of people who were satisfied with the game. Although it’s easy to just look at the numbers, our priority as developers is that we want as many people as possible to appreciate the game and have fun. So, we feel pressure to keep making better and better games to make sure we maximize feedback that the game is fun and accessible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom