Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The remastered monster themes are fucking garbage compared to the originals. I hate that literally everything has been turned into an orchestra.

Perkel

Arcane
Managed to get VR on my PSVR working with MHW thanks to VorpX. IT really is so fucking cool to feel depth in those environments. Anjanath is really fucking mountain of a beast.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So what's everyone's opinion of Iceborne? I haven't gotten it yet because I was taking a break for a while from Monster Hunter because I played a lot more hours than I should have. Worth picking up?

Perkel

Arcane
So what's everyone's opinion of Iceborne? I haven't gotten it yet because I was taking a break for a while from Monster Hunter because I played a lot more hours than I should have. Worth picking up?

Wrong place to ask since most of folks here wait for pc version. But from what i have heard it is awesome and much harder than vanilla which was main issue of vanilla. Also they increased assets variety so most of weapons now get their final stage of weapon looking different, which is another issue with vanilla.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Wrong place to ask since most of folks here wait for pc version. But from what i have heard it is awesome and much harder than vanilla which was main issue of vanilla. Also they increased assets variety so most of weapons now get their final stage of weapon looking different, which is another issue with vanilla.
If it's harder than vanilla then it's basically MH back to normal.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Played it all weekend, so far I've just been fighting MR versions of the vanilla monsters and seeing all the new armor options. I stopped playing vanilla around HR30, CB main with nerg/bazel/dober armor so I have decent equips but not super-optimized. Beotodus and Banboro seemed like defense-check monsters. I have seen many people complain "OMG can't beat starter monsters" but as long as you have fully upgraded vanilla armor you should be fine. They are also meant to showcase the new uses for the slinger and clutch claw.

There are two main uses for the claw:
-You grab onto a body part and damage it, this causes a temp def debuff ("wounding") with a heavy weapon or drops rare slinger ammo if you're using a light weapon
-You grab onto the head while it's staggered (short drooling animation) and dump all your slinger ammo into it. This causes the monster to charge forward and if it hits a wall or ledge it falls over

So far it feels like the monsters have been rebalanced around abusing these abilities pretty much non-stop. They have buffed limb defense/hp and are meant to be softened up with wounding attacks constantly, and they don't knock down from normal attacks nearly as much, you have to use the face-grab slinger attack (mounting still works fine though). It's annoying because it costs you a whole stack of ammo and sometimes they just run straight without hitting a wall, meaning it's a waste, but it adds another layer to the combat. I've started making sure I have slinger ammo at all times now, even if its just stones or red pits.

-All weapons have slinger attacks worked into their combos. Some of them are just odd, like dual blades you can dodge mid-combo but it costs a shot. With CB there is now a shotgun-blast you can do in axe mode that's supposed to stagger monsters but I haven't experimented with it too much yet.

-New zone, pfff, ice world, hot drinks run out more often than cold drinks, just an annoyance. The vanilla game had some pretty imaginative zones with coral reef and bone pits, ice level is the oldest themed world in the book. Yawn. The new town has a better layout with more convenient vendors but looks dull, just a snow village.

On gear:
-There are Rank 9 Ore and Bone weapons which can be easily crafted from abundantly available materials. These weapons have far superior stats to almost all rank 8 and lower weapons by a pretty large margin.

-The MR Great Jagras set is cheap to craft with common drops and provides over 100 def per piece with a suite of general purpose skills. If you can't kill a Great Jagras at any rank then you're hopeless.

-Most weapons have upgrades going to rank 10-11, a few get rank 12. Some jump straight from rank 7/8 to 11/12, which means no mid-tier upgrade so you'll need to kill the endgame monsters for drops. Nerg weapons are like this, unfortunately no upgrade at all for Xeno weapons, just a dead end. MR Xeno variant DLC maybe?

-Rank 4 jewels drop from any random MR mission now. In vanilla I think you only got Rank 3 jewels from tempered elders (?) so ironically now the more powerful Rank 4 jewels are far more common. Rank 4 slots are only on MR armor obviously, usually the beta set. I haven't really seen Rank 3 jewels drop at all so I have a lot of armor slots going underutilized.

-Earplugs 5 still works on everything so far, haven't seen a HG earplugs skill yet. I fucking hate roar stuns with a passion so these are my jam.

-Weakness Exploit was nerfed, down from 50% affinity boost to 10% plus an extra 20% if the part has been wounded by the claw. Lame. I'm swapping this out of my builds for Handicraft. Goodbye eyepatch.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like news about weapons stuff was to early. Apparently only like half of weapons get their proper designs while rest use this weird half baked bone weapons/iron weapon with shit attached.

It is still better than vanilla which had like 1/4 of original designs but i guess we need to wait for MHW2 for them to fix that issue.

mogwaimon

Magister
Don't get me wrong, the weapon designs are still pretty garbage compared to pretty much every previous iteration and I haven't actually finished the story yet (not because I can't, but because of being busy elsewhere) but one of the main endgame systems involves customizing a weapon's stats and looks to create a superweapon, supposedly. Mats for this system seemingly only drop from the Guiding Lands, so yea...

Anyways, I've hit MR 4 star quests as of last night, I've only triple carted once and it was to Tigrex after some unfortunate string of comboing on my last cart, so I haven't hit any walls yet. The new fights are pretty cool so far, Brachy was alright but way too easy compared to MH3U, Glavenus was pretty badass, Shrieking Legiana is a complete pain because she has a groupie normal Legiana in tow through most of the fight, and Barioth/Narga are a pain to pin down because of their mobility but ultimately not too bad once you break a few parts. So far I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I'm hesitant to do anything more than rush through the story because I'm just going to have to do it all over again on PC in 4 months

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Yeah, I made my peace with MHW Charge Blades looking like crap but now they seem even more crap. The Iron and Bone designs were fine before but the MR versions look like complete ass. Stupid round-tipped edgeless sword and a dumb sawblade looking thing. Ugh. The CBs with unique designs are even worse; Zorah CB looks boring, and the Nerg CB looks like a fucking broom. Yay. Odagaron is dope AF but has a low raw/high crit build, meh.

The best looking CBs? Surprise surprise, it's the Rathian and Rathalos branch, i.e. the ones they carried over from the prior games. Gee whiz, what a concept. Now I'm just waiting to see the look of the rank 11 and 12 CBs to decide if I'm going to switch weapons or not, heh.

Modron

Arcane
To be fair all those weapons look terrible so I cannot tell which one is supposed to be an offense.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Might be a deal breaker for me if they don't have armor and weapons that look like the previous games. Slapping on bone/iron skins is horrid.
According to the twitter, there is going to be a new monster in December. Seregios/Goremag please.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Nargacuga is a pussy, the Tigrex is way harder tho. No one of both managed to kill me even once. I would llike to say that this is thanks for farming the Barioth a lot, but the truth is that the three monster have a very different movesets and patterns.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

cover2.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Might be a deal breaker for me if they don't have armor and weapons that look like the previous games. Slapping on bone/iron skins is horrid.

It is clear that they didn't have enough time to port most of weapons. Base game had same stuff but only about 1/4 of weapons had their old models rest was bone/iron reskin. From what i know Iceborne has around half which is improvement but like you say it sucks. Probably only by MHW2 they will port everything. As for armors they are all different and great no issue here.

It also seems like they will be releasing new monsters much more quickly. Previously it took nearly 3 months to add just 1 monster while here they will be adding next month ape. It would be amazing if they could deliver every month one monster for next 10-12 months.

Vorark

Erudite
What is this Guiding Lands area? Is it similar to Moga Woods?

Okay, read up a bit on this and it's more 4U Everwood and 3U Moga Woods, as in monsters escape if you don't take 'em down fast enough. :|

I don't want to wait for a MHW2 though. I want MHW to be the last and penultimate monster hunter game I ever play.

I know it's not my bussiness but why? Got tired of the formula?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I don't want to wait for a MHW2 though. I want MHW to be the last and penultimate monster hunter game I ever play.

I know it's not my bussiness but why? Got tired of the formula?
No, I love the formula, I'm just tired of having to always get a new thing. I want one final version that is complete enough such that it can be played as long as I want to play the monster hunter formula. My desires are the direct opposite of the business model to keep making a new game to get people to buy.

Vorark

Erudite
No, I love the formula, I'm just tired of having to always get a new thing. I want one final version that is complete enough such that it can be played as long as I want to play the monster hunter formula. My desires are the direct opposite of the business model to keep making a new game to get people to buy.

Ah, gotcha. Have you thought about giving XX a spin in the meanwhile? For better or worse it has an overwhelming amount of quests and monsters. The GU translation was backported to a .cia file so you can also play XX in English on the 3DS or Citra.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Is this good? I just started with a bow. Still in the tutorial area but damn, controls are all over the place. Going to have to do some rebinding. After work though.

Dyskolos

Cipher
My main gripe at this point is needing a transmog option. So many of the new armors look better than anything in the base game but I'll never touch them if they don't match my builds.

Otherwise - since I actually didn't mind the staggered layered releases they did with the arch-tempered elder dragons - they should just open that up to all monsters and drop one a week - plus with the current roster size you'll keep the completionists coming back weekly for the next six plus months.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Lots of MR armors suck. Good setbonus + crap loadout, too jewel dependent. Zorah MR set has Artillery 5 but lol tremor resist and nothing else for a CB build. Some of the MR Elder sets have decent parts but its hard to find anything worthwhile. I'll probably get MR Vaal Hazak for laziness.

Beat Velkhana, kinda trollish boss. Just jumps everywhere for the fight, CB is a pretty bad matchup. Spammed clutch claws like no tomorrow, won by slamming her head against a wall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom