Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Vorark

Erudite
Do give a chance to the Sword and Shield too, it isn't called a newcomer weapon for nothing. May not be flashy but can easily cancel attacks into a roll so you can learn the monsters movesets, blocks attacks for those "oh shit" moments, allows you to use items without sheathing, can stun, exhaust and in World it also allows you to jump and mount. Can dish out a respectable amount of damage if you get truly good.

And no one should diss Chad Blade. :obviously:

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't get how any of the weapons you've tried with the exception of switch axe and maybe IG have movesets that be described as 'intricate pirouettes' TBH, that's why I assumed you used DB because that's the only weapon I can think of that is like that. I personally use LS as my main, but can use lance and CB somewhat competently. I have it easier as a LS main, in theory, because I have foresight slash but I didn't start using that until recently because it didn't exist pre-MHW, but it's really not so bad in terms of dodging mid-attack. Nowadays I only really get hit if I'm fighting a tough monster or get too greedy.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's definitely a deliberate choice, and a good one. It makes the combat less about twitchy responses to subtle tells and more about positioning and planning your attacks to ensure you'll be able to evade an attack if the need arises. If you want to hit one 5 frame timing window after another without thinking go play Osu or something.
If you want to balance cimbat around positioning, then make relevant high damage skills have a high casting time/windup. An example of this done well is in DD where some warrior and sorcerer skills takes long to cast but it makes sense because you are charging all your strenght/ magic power for the hit.
In MH once you give the input the animation start and the character does all kinds of ibtricate piroettes but you have no control at all until animation ends. You can't even redirect the attack, it feels very sluggish and clunky.
I don't say positioning and tactical combat are a bad thing, but they are achieved through the wrong way.
To obtain this it also feeld they added like +2 unnecessary flat seconds to every animation especially using items, healing etc

How green around the ears is this guy, never heard of GS.

Perkel

Arcane
What is with hate toward Funlance ? As funlance main user i can tell you, you are all out of your minds.
It is not clunky at all. It just require completely different approach to combat than with rest of weapons, once you understand that it will no longer feel clunky.

It feels clunky to people because they start to chase monster around instead of patiently waiting for it.

Basics of funlance:
- you don't go after monster. You wait for monster. Aka use challenger mantle. Drop off cat.
- you don't dodge anything or counter attack anything. You wait behind your shield and learn pattern of attacks till you notice safe windows to attack.
- once you do that you attack in those windows usually just after attack, when you have weak spot weapon hit and bang when you have hard spot only bang. Bang completely ignores monster armor.
- you focus on legs or face. You want to tople monster. Usually legs are not weak points but not for funlance.
- if there is longer period you try to stick tip into monster for great damage.
- if you trip, catch etc monster and have very long window this is where lance trumps every other weapon. You do combo of three strike, upward, sweep and sticking tip finishing it off with Wyvernfire. The amount of damage is usually enought to topple monster again or get them very close to another topple.
- use reload actively, meaning that if you lack ammo don't do full reload but reload after hit which will reload only ammo instead of ammo and tip which takes much longer. This way you can continue hit+blast combo which dishes out insane amount of damage in very short period with having ability to block at moment notice
- blasts cause slight step back which can cause your gunlance to miss with hit and leave only bang, use forward dodge to recover close distance.
- the back hop is really really really really useful if you need space to do full reload.
- it is only weapon when you can reliably fight two monster at the same time being right into heat of battle instead of running away like a pussy.

negatives of funlance:
- your back is exposed and some monsters have counter moves against shield users which forces you to change things. [Uragan bombs]
- movement. There are various ground hazards that you can be exposed to that could kill you if you don't move [lunastra burning ground].
- some special moves require Uragaan skill set to be blockable and even then there are 2-3 which will anihilate 3/4 of your health either-way if you block them
- status effects. Poison clouds/ground, sleep clouds you are slow to begin with and usually up face with monster and you don't have time to sheathe weapon and cure yourself.

It plays completely different to lance which is either counter attacking or evade attacking. Block lancing really is a thing but damage is shit as random single pokes don't do a lot damage and you need to be careful where you hit, monsters with horns etc usually have hard head which means you are fucked with block build while gun-lance can just blast away those horns like piece of paper.

Some places will look like dotted grids, some like pixelated 1990s game and somehow manage to be both blurry as fuck and jiggy at the same time. This game literally hurts to look at with any settings.

That is dynamic resolution changing your resolution to potato. It is on by default and if there is problem with FPS it will lower down resolution and other things to try boosting FPS. Change it to prioritize resolution:

unknown.png

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I love funlance to death but BOY, I tried out normal lance for an expedition in 4U and evade hopping is fucking insane. Almost more mobility than DB and the hops could have 100% invincibility frames.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah evade lance is great stuff. But i still prefer MHW charge lance. With something like blast lance you can effectively make 1000s of damage when monster is switching places as you run up your lance into its but.

It is not fits all technique but it is incredibly fun.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Not shown: Future update to combat people modding in cosmetic items for themselves, which will increase CPU requirements to a 24 core 300GHZ processor.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Guess this pushes back me playing world until at LEAST june :/
New fan favorite? Gore Mag? Seregios? Maybe they figured out how to get Leviathan's to work and it's Lagia?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And another patch is due soon.

Upcoming Patch Pre-release Notification
Patch incoming to improve performance, fix screen freeze issues affecting some users

[Notification]
The following previously reported issues, first announced on January 10, will be addressed in an upcoming patch at the end of January.

- Screen freeze that affects users with certain graphics cards. (Occurs with DirectX 11 only.)

- Performance issue that affects users with certain system specifications.

We are working diligently on additional improvements for the CPU utilization issue. We greatly appreciate your continued patience as we work to implement the upcoming patch and will keep everyone informed of any future developments.

Important:
Matchmaking in MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: ICEBORNE requires players to have updated to the same version. Keep in mind that you can only match with other players who have the same update. You can verify the version number in the bottom-right corner of the title screen.

For other questions, please visit the official MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: ICEBORNE support portal below.
http://www.capcom.com/mhwsupport/

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ight so I gave the game a proper chance. The game does improve a lot in Iceborn and while I still feel like it has a bit too much clunkiness for my taste, it is pretty fun and i've been playing it a lot. I don't get why all the boring ass weapons like HBG, GS, and such are popular while stuff like Glaive isn't but whatever. I been using GS myself out of habit tbh.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
This may be Great Sword user perspective but I feel like vast majority of difficulty in MR+ comes from the fact that monsters are agro af and fast (good) while your toolset is extremely slow and clunky. Running around like madman waiting for an opening gets really old. I don't really get the appeal of waiting to draw out a weapon, waiting to finish animation, and waiting to put the weapon back to have mobility. The duration that you are forced to stand still in MHW pretty much forces you to play as if you are doing a no hit run in DS which imo is painfully slow and boring.

Perkel

Arcane
Takes GS and wonders why he needs to run around waiting for proper attack.
That is the whole point of weapon. It makes fuckload of damage but in return it takes a while to wind up and hit which means you rarely attack.

MHW version of GS already is much easier to play as you can use shoulder smash to get trough attacks that would otherwise knock you off and give you next version of charge. So with good enough playstyle you can do 3rd charge with just countering monster attacks with shoulder.

The true high level of GS playstyle is not counters or running around but anticipation of attacks.
GS is one of the easiest to learn and one of the hardest to master weapon in MH series.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Yea but speedrunner tactics for first playthrough is unreasonable. I think it is far better to play with a different weapon. Plus the behavior of vanilla games monsters are a lot more prone to openings. MR monsters just non stop do shit. I will probably playing a different game by the time I know all the fights to the point of anticipating their attacks all fight.

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
even as a LS user I still have trouble getting my damage in because of how mobile certain monsters are. but for you, even one good hit can work. plus there are things you can do to reduce monster mobility and create openings; for example on Barioth if you destroy the spikes on his arms he will open himself up more for attacks. though I will agree that GS is one of the most difficult weapons to git gud with, especially since MHW meta is/was triple charge everything and not crit draw all day like older games

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
This may be Great Sword user perspective but I feel like vast majority of difficulty in MR+ comes from the fact that monsters are agro af and fast (good) while your toolset is extremely slow and clunky. Running around like madman waiting for an opening gets really old. I don't really get the appeal of waiting to draw out a weapon, waiting to finish animation, and waiting to put the weapon back to have mobility. The duration that you are forced to stand still in MHW pretty much forces you to play as if you are doing a no hit run in DS which imo is painfully slow and boring.
Since you would prefer playing dark souls so much, in words you will understand, git gud.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Since you would prefer playing dark souls so much, in words you will understand, git gud.

Jesus you sound like a 13 year old from gameFAQs in early 2000s. Slow it down on the cringe. I am only comparing shit to DS and Nioh because they are the only two other games of this type that I've played. I don't care about the holy battle of whats harder or whatever. I just care about what I find fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom