Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I'm not playing MH at the moment but now that they nerfed SAED, how's the playstile of charged blade?

Vorark

Erudite
I'm not playing MH at the moment but now that they nerfed SAED, how's the playstile of charged blade?

You make full use of the moveset instead of spamming the one move. :)

Elemental has been boosted for Iceborne and CBs do benefit from it, so much that going impact may not always be the superior choice.

Ivan

Arcane
G rank is where the real monster hunter begins. You should really be asking yourself what reasons there are to play MHW before Iceborne came out.
What reason is there to play it after Iceborne came out?
G rank exists so the game can start.

How different is the experience with the expansion? MHW was my first MH and I left away feeling like it wasn't for me. It felt like an odd mix of Diablo and Souls-combat. I didn't like the "loot"/ARPG aspect of it, but I did like mounting monsters (a la Shadow of the Colossus) and learning enemy patterns. I didn't like having to chase them down 3 times before you either capture/kill them. By the endgame I vividly remember saying to myself "oh another dragon" or "oh another reskin of monster X."

So yeah, is this worth a shot for me maybe at 50% off if I wasn't so hot on the original campaign, and turned off by the itemization aspect of the game but dug the actual combat encounters themselves?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
G rank is where the real monster hunter begins. You should really be asking yourself what reasons there are to play MHW before Iceborne came out.

How different is the experience with the expansion? MHW was my first MH and I left away feeling like it wasn't for me. It felt like an odd mix of Diablo and Souls-combat. I didn't like the "loot"/ARPG aspect of it, but I did like mounting monsters (a la Shadow of the Colossus) and learning enemy patterns. I didn't like having to chase them down 3 times before you either capture/kill them. By the endgame I vividly remember saying to myself "oh another dragon" or "oh another reskin of monster X."

So yeah, is this worth a shot for me maybe at 50% off if I wasn't so hot on the original campaign, and turned off by the itemization aspect of the game but dug the actual combat encounters themselves?
I haven't gotten World yet because I'm waiting for the updates to end before I download everything to work offline forever. However the core gameplay loop remains the same and I have several hundred hours from MH3U and MH4U. There are some points in World that speak of casualization and dumbing down for lubricating it to easier shove down the throats of simps, but overall looks like it has not crossed the line and will offer me a Monster Hunter like the previous ones. The difference of getting to G rank is essentially that Low-High rank typically been the tutorial portions of the game where you use simpler equipment and fight a limited roster of monsters. Once you enter G rank, you are expected to know how to play the game and now you have access to the highest tiers of armor/weapons, and get to fight a great number of new monsters that only appear in G rank, that not only have more health and increased damage but new attacks and move faster.

As far as mounting goes it always was more of a QTE with no depth and I wish Capcom had borrowed from their developers who designed the mounting in Dragon's Dogma.

Perkel

Arcane

If you didn't like core gameplay loop of MHW this will change nothing as it adds even stronger monsters and more of them.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Iceborn is MHW but in some ways much much more annoying. If you felt meh during base game you will probably RQ the expansion.

Perkel

Arcane
Also worth noting is that you need right aproach to MH games.
I started with MHFU played a bit and disliked it, Then Tri and again i disliked it.

It was DS games that changed me and how i see combat in games and this is where i went back and started with MHFU and loved it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wtf so iceborne add new moveset?
They basically turned my charge blade into even deadlier killing machine. I accidentally pulled the savage mode.

Basically
Charge the shield
Charge the sword
Charge the axe
Blow up monsters like its september 2001

Also gunlance got powerful update too with the wyrmstake. I just put a stake to tobi kadachi's ass literally and it explode with every shell.

I love it

mogwaimon

Magister
yep. Iceborne gave us LS users iaijutsu moves so we can be even more weeb. nothin personnel kid

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Is it me or the master rank so far is easier that arch tempered?
Maybe because i have MR gears but the AT monsters deals more damage and fiercer than base MR monsters. The only thing they got is bigger HP pool and few new moves.

I am still early in iceborne so it might get alot harder later. (Just hunted coral pukei) i like coral pukey get alot more dangerous when you cut its tail. Its elemental attack from the mouth are harder to evade than the tail.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The constant padding of having to sniff monsters poop to unlock research to progress further in the story ultimately made me uninstall. I had my fun but I can't bring myself to do it yet again. There is enough padding with crafting, cutscenes etc... reloading maps over and over to click on the blue steps is just taking it too far into fuck off territory.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have a question for you regarding elemntal damage. So for the player its a flat bonus that gets up or down depending on monsters weaknesses and I can see these in the monster guide. What about the elemental defense on armor, how do I know if and which damage a monster will do? Do they even have elemental damage on normal attacks or is it just for something like "it breathes fire that does fire damage"?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I have a question for you regarding elemntal damage. So for the player its a flat bonus that gets up or down depending on monsters weaknesses and I can see these in the monster guide. What about the elemental defense on armor, how do I know if and which damage a monster will do? Do they even have elemental damage on normal attacks or is it just for something like "it breathes fire that does fire damage"?

Depends on the monster. Its usually specific moves, not all attacks. Some monsters have multiple elements.

Rathian/Rathalos only deal fire damage with breath
Same for Anjanath
Velkhana has ice damage on a lot of moves, if not all.

Cromwell

Arcane
Are the investigations really randomly popping up? I need a pukei pukei sac and have slain the thing a few times but I did not get a investigation and did not get the sac by butchering it.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are the investigations really randomly popping up? I need a pukei pukei sac and have slain the thing a few times but I did not get a investigation and did not get the sac by butchering it.

Collecting monster tracks is the fastet way to get investigations. You can launch a hunt, go afk for a few minutes and then just collect tracks from the monster you want.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Welcome to the "desire sensor." The game detects you want something and then makes sure you don't get it.

(I'm kidding) (or am I?)

Some items drop only when you break certain monster parts, make sure you are breaking the Pukei Pukei head to increase your chances. Otherwise, yeah, it's RNG. Welcome to Monster Hunter.

Sentinel

Arcane
Even if you don't have the investigation, you can make use of the "Respond to SOS" feature to find other players who have the investigation. This is also useful if you need to break a part that's hard to reach for your weapon. If you do it coop, between you and the other players' attacks, it's bound to break eventually.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i accidentally deleted all my investigations :negative:

i was filtering the worse one with no gold reward and selected all of them. i went to the "registered" tab and press delete all. turn out it doesnt delete the ones only in the tabs but ALL OF THE UNREGISTERED ones. so i am left with the garbo reward and all the gold rewards investigations are gone

mogwaimon

Magister
also make sure you're fighting the right rank of Pukei Pukei. If you're in High Rank but need a LR material to start a new weapon line, you may have to fight the LR version of the Pukei Pukei to get the right material, as the HR version will drop an upgraded mat for HR weapons and not the low rank one. The sacs shouldn't be 'that' rare. unless it's a gem of some kind or mantle, it's usually gonna have a decent droprate

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Huh i got my first environmental kill. Just hunting rathain to upgrade my dear hecatelia. Bomb her when she's sleeping, then slammed into the wall in rathian nest which is also a dam. The dam burst, rathian fell and died. Felt good. I wish i had recorded that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom