Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
after 5th rathian and no mantle in sight

oDXX2D5.jpg

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there any effect when using a greatsword thats considered above the rest? Currently I use Poison because I simply have no better option. The next best is probably a GS made from anjanath.

Sentinel

Arcane
What do you mean by "above the rest"? Higher damage/stats is represented in a green colour on the crafting menu.

mogwaimon

Magister
for GS the best option is whatever has the highest raw damage. I know Iceborne redid the elemental mechanics but even in previous MH games raw > everything else for the slower weapons, while the quicker weapons benefit more from elemental/status weapons. Seems like you're early enough in where you don't have to worry too much about the most efficient weapons, though.

As for what to aim for pre-Iceborne, old best GS is the Wyvern Ignition from an event quest (paolumu and rathalos in the Arena, quest named Every Hunter's Dream 1) and they did add a line of weapons just before IB aimed at getting new players through pre-IB content called the Defender line, that may have supplanted the Ignition as new best pre-IB GS. I know the Defender LS was pretty beastly even as someone who had the best LSes before IB.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes Defender is very strong but I refused to use it since it smelled like cheating to me because you have it from the get go and the whole set seemed way to strong for a normal playthrough. I thought using that would make everything to easy and I wouldnt notice fuckups since the gear would carry me.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't the ability which mantles to meld tied to story progression? I remember reading that a while ago.

Perkel

Arcane
Yes Defender is very strong but I refused to use it since it smelled like cheating to me because you have it from the get go and the whole set seemed way to strong for a normal playthrough. I thought using that would make everything to easy and I wouldnt notice fuckups since the gear would carry me.

Yes it is of the dumbest things capcom did. This is effectivley deleloper cheat as every weapon is 3 tiers above other weapons with 0 investement into it.

They basically anihilated whole base game with this stupid crap.

Sentinel

Arcane

Yes it is of the dumbest things capcom did. This is effectivley deleloper cheat as every weapon is 3 tiers above other weapons with 0 investement into it.

They basically anihilated whole base game with this stupid crap.
I mean, not really? It's an entirely optional armor and weapon set. If you want to make a new character it's pretty useful.

Perkel

Arcane
There is nothing optional about armor you can make for iron ore that beats all of the rest of stuff you need to work for and is just sitting there on top of tree reminding you that everything you do is fucking meaningless because it exist and can carry you straight to iceborne without any issue.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's even in the base game without the expansion for some god forsaken reason. I think they put it in to purposely make the base game feel like a waste of time so people buy the expansion.

Magitex

Educated
Yes, they did a great job of destroying the base game. I had 3 other friends coming into the game and they just didn't understand the point of killing monsters because they already had the best gear. Safe to say no one is interested in playing now, myself included.

mogwaimon

Magister
well, more like high rank mid-tier armor and weapons you have to upgrade through 5 tiers, but yea. they added it in for players to use to get into IB, if they hadn't beaten HR yet. It's not entirely unprecedented, Monster Hunter Frontier basically trivialized everything outside of G-rank with some starter gear but that was a JP only MMO. Most of the rest of the games hide their OP catchup gear behind event quests at least, MH3U had an event lance that outstripped everything at that point in the game but you at least had to work for it.

Still, I know it doesn't make it better, but you can still just choose not to use the catchup gear.

Sentinel

Arcane
I really don't get what the issue is. It's not an MMO, it's not a race to the end. Using the gear is completely up to you (and using it is detrimental since you won't learn any of the fights).

Jinn

Arcane
It's kind of lame if people want to use this master rank armor right from the beginning, but it's ultimately up to them whether they want to ruin the game for themselves or not.

And yeah, just because they progress in terms of Quest progression does not mean they progress in terms of fight learning. If they use that armor to breeze through the original content, they're going to hit a serious wall once they start doing MR stuff. They'll also have to learn at that point about the value of armor skills and builds. One way or another, they'll have to learn to progress.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's kind of lame if people want to use this master rank armor right from the beginning, but it's ultimately up to them whether they want to ruin the game for themselves or not.

And yeah, just because they progress in terms of Quest progression does not mean they progress in terms of fight learning. If they use that armor to breeze through the original content, they're going to hit a serious wall once they start doing MR stuff. They'll also have to learn at that point about the value of armor skills and builds. One way or another, they'll have to learn to progress.
on one side gamers are hardwired to use every tools we have available even if it "ruin" the fun. but yeah, learning weapons/attack patterns/monsters habit or even mining/resources placement and food skills et cetera is also major part of the game. i doubt beginners with MR gears can beat jho, luna, or even nergi easily without some training.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have the anja sword and it has -30% affinity, so now I wanted to know if sword x is better than mine when adjusted for the minus 30%. I found out that the attack power thats stated has to be adjusted by dividing it with a number for your weapon. 4.1 in case of greatsword. Why? Why is that a thing it makes absolutely no sense to me why dont they state the raw attack value in the tooltipp? Is there something I am missing or maybe the info is incorrect? Does it even make sense to calculate the damage difference with minus affinity like this for a greatsword since I rarely just stand there and hack away.

mogwaimon

Magister
affinity is essentially critical hit chance, in this game. However if you have a negative affinity, your attacks have a chance to be a glancing blow instead of a critical, so sometimes your attacks will do less damage than usual. this affinity can be countered with skills/armor decos, but you're not at the point of the game where that's super important yet.

as for the raw damage, that sounds like you're trying to calculate 'true raw' which is basically the final damage numbers when hitzones and the like are taken into effect. you usually don't need to bother with those calculations unless you're attempting to min/max and there's new gear that hasn't already been examined out. it's interesting stuff for theorycrafting but in practice as long as you follow the guidelines for choosing gear based on your weapon type as before (raw > all for GS, in particular) and such, you'll usually end up with a great weapon. That and in the end, it all comes down to player skill anyways, you could have the best gear in the game and get stomped by a LR monster if you're terrible at the game, and you could solo the toughest monsters in the nude if you're great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom