Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How is velk BS ? I enjoyed the fight, much better than namielle (to easy for me. Big hitboxes, joke AOE attack, joke ranged attack, it's field manipulation is useless to both hunter and monster (the water interact with electricity but they are alot easier to dodge)

Overall velk is alot more challenging, but fun.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
How is velk BS ?

Too jumpy and the crazy hitbox on the tail spin. It's also a fight that shows how bad the MH camera is. I ended up making an Anjanath bow just for Velk and Screaming Legiana.

I'd still rather fight it than furious rajang. Just can't win with CB on that motherfucker.

Are there any event quests that are particularly good for deco farming currently?

Vorark

Erudite
I also did Velkhana with CB. For Legiana and Shrieking IG jump spam also works if you wanna go melee, it's very satisfying to pummel it to the ground with a heavy slam on the head.

Are there any event quests that are particularly good for deco farming currently?

Are you on PC? Last I've read it was either Tempered Zinogre or T3 investigations with many reward slots. There isn't a Lavasioth/Great Jagras for rarity 11/12 yet.

Vorark

Erudite
Velkhana is peak BS, Shara is a fun fight. Plus you get a rematch with Nerg. He does bleed damage now.

Went back to finish the story and you're right!

Shara is a fair and FUN monster indeed -- no bullshit, no jumping all over the place, no need for twitchy skills, good hitboxes... even the sand gimmick is done well. The way it moves reminds me of Akantor/Ukanlos back in 2nd gen, in special during its first phase. Great monster and one of the best encounters in World, be it base or IB. Honourable mention to Nergi cause he was a true gent in that cutscene.

Unrelated to Shara, but now I realize I wasn't supposed to find a Zinogre before finishing the story mode. Unwittingly joined a cheater when SOSing for another monster. :|

How challenging is this game for a newcomer to the series with decent twitch skillz and strategitacticool sense?

I'm drawn to the idea of a consistently challenging boss rush type game so I have been thinking about picking it up, but I've read some feedback from both series veterans and newcomers suggesting the game is on the easier side up until DLC content. Personally I cannot imagine repeatedly grinding the same bosses if the difficulty for those fights is trivial as that just sounds like an exercise in patience. Neither is the idea of grinding easy stuff before you get to graduate to something that is actually challenging appealing.

Of course its hard to tell because I can't tell if this feedback is coming predominantly from people with thousands of hours in this franchise across multiple titles or simply your better-than-average ARPG but still uh yeah what do you think my swordwhores

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

How challenging is this game for a newcomer to the series with decent twitch skillz and strategitacticool sense?

I'm drawn to the idea of a consistently challenging boss rush type game so I have been thinking about picking it up, but I've read some feedback from both series veterans and newcomers suggesting the game is on the easier side up until DLC content. Personally I cannot imagine repeatedly grinding the same bosses if the difficulty for those fights is trivial as that just sounds like an exercise in patience. Neither is the idea of grinding easy stuff before you get to graduate to something that is actually challenging appealing.

Of course its hard to tell because I can't tell if this feedback is coming predominantly from people with thousands of hours in this franchise across multiple titles or simply your better-than-average ARPG but still what do y'all think
I’m a newcomer.

There’s some grind there. It’s not easy, but it’s not exactly hard either.

I actually stopped playing it partway through because I got bored, so...I would say wait until it’s on sale.

Perkel

Arcane
If you are new to MH it is not easy at all. You will be plenty challenged before you get to expansion.

The thing about those fights is that they are not grind. There isn't any monster in a game that you need to do more than once to finish game. The grind people talk about are personal goals that they choose to do and the realization of absolute mad amount of content to craft and MHW isn't even biggest MH in therms of content.

Low Rank which is what you start with is easy mode.
High rank is medium def
Master Rank is hardest content

Yeah I'm using "grind" without a negative connotation here to refer to repeating content for shinies, essentially. I'm fine with grind, knowing that it is optional. The reason why challenge is important for me in a game like this is that my ability to enjoy repetitive content greatly increases if there is a persistent level of challenge. In many games I can repeat the same stage/checkpoint/save to try and solve a difficult encounter in a variety of ways dozens of times as long as there is risk involved. If the challenge or lack thereof is entirely manageable the whole way through then the same process turns into mental torture.

Another question: can I forego purchasing Iceborn until I am ready for Master-rank content (and to save money if it turns out I don't like the game HEH), or does purchasing that DLC added stuff to the early-mid game as well?

Sentinel

Arcane
Iceborne adds a mechanic called the clutch claw, that you can use in the base game as well. However, you need to get to Iceborne content to get that mechanic. So, no point in getting IB before doing base game.
And, IMO, the clutch claw mechanic is easily the worst mechanic ever implemented in MH. It ruined IB for me.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Another question: can I forego purchasing Iceborn until I am ready for Master-rank content (and to save money if it turns out I don't like the game HEH), or does purchasing that DLC added stuff to the early-mid game as well?

Pretty sure they added some entry-tier armor to Master Rank that is stupid cheap to craft and utterly trivializes all LR and HR content, so I would avoid it unless you have enough willpower to avoid buying it and going through the normal gear progression.

Then again it may be patched in the base game regardless of whether or not you have the expansion.

Removal

Scholar
Then again it may be patched in the base game regardless of whether or not you have the expansion.
I'm almost 100% sure the guardian set and defender weapon lines are patched into the base game
It's not MR tier stuff, but it definitely destroys all progression in the base game

Perkel

Arcane
Alatreon june 9
Frostfang Barioth mid august
next update fall so probably october

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I played this up to velkhana (fantastic fight) e then my interested faded away. My second main weapon (CB) requires too much effort and if you don't know the monster beforehand good luck gping and having fun, especially with IB monsters that leaves you no room to breath. Some fights were so painful i had to switch to my main IG , but since i'm burned out of that weapon i was not having fun anymore. Tried building some elemental bows and while they are a change of pace , i can't bother to grind the same monsters 20 times to build an endgame bows, x4 for all elements.
TL,DR i lost interest in the game, maybe i'll pick up again later.

Perkel

Arcane
Helpful tips:

- don't go "main". Each weapon has benefits and downsides. Some monsters are really hard with some weapons some monsters are very easy with other. Good example of that is Teostra and Gunlance. It is only monster in whole game which actually gives me huge trouble because i am just to slow and my guard does nothing for his aura. Lunastra is twice as bad because of her area attacks.
- don't ever try to grind one monster 20 times in row. Find party on some discord and bounce around. Then when you have something close to be created then grind, best in party.
- every weapon is great. I used to main longsword then hammer and i hated completely lance and gunlance then i finally gave them proper spin and they became my new mains. With same type of attitude i went to SnS and rest of weapons and i realized that every weapon is fun if you start to "get" them.

I currently started new game with new character from start and i plan to finish whole game without using any ads like palicos or sos and not use shield weapons.

Citizen

I want to try it since I really enjoyed Minster Hunter Tri, but jeez I need to update my pc before I do

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
It happened at least twice to me that my kinsect finished the monster. Nothing is more anticlimatic than that. I still think they should introduce some damage treeshold for the final hit to slay the monster. If the hit damage less than the treeshold the monster doesn't die. Also they should introduce more feedback from the monster in general when he is about to die, beside limping. Think what From did with Sif in Dark souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom