Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Monstromino: what if game = character build?

baturinsky

Arcane
One day I was looking at Path of Exile passive tree and though: "it's complex enough to be a game by itself".

And then I made it:) A game where world is a tree of stat bonuses, and you have to defeat them to get them. Quite simple yet, but already fun, imho.

There are three modes. "Vanilla" monstromino where you fight the "usual" way, even if automatically. "Life" mode is supposed to represent (in a very abstract way) a flow of human's life, with "monsters" being life situation and a simpler formula for "winning" is used. "Rainbow" is even simpler mode, without stats at all and only limitation being that board should be cleared in rainbow color order.

HuhrDbL.png

Play: https://monstromino.netlify.com/

(Chrome is recommended, otherwise some visual effects are disabled. Firefox performance really hates animations.)

Source https://github.com/baturinsky/monstromino

So, questions are:

1. Is the initial idea sound?
2. Is it easy to understand how to play?
3. Is it fun to play?
4. Where to go next? Try to expand on this (add campaign, passive/active skills, board mods etc), or change something radacally?
Maybe make "monsters" looking more monster-like and combat with them more detailed? Or this simple style is ok too?

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fun little game. I like it!

I had to take a mouseover or two to realize how the mechanics for 'clicking down' a block work. There seems to be a slight overabundance of high defence/ low attack blocks, and going for ATT/SPD seems to be a way to go (although, my opinion may not count for much, as I failed to clear a board yet). As it is, it seems to be a great commuting/ slackoff game. If you really wanted to mix the formula up you could go Puzzle Quest route, with boards being dungeons, and players having abilities like "change colour of a single square", or "destroy target field without gaining xp".

The one thing the game could use, would be making it easier to notice why can't you beat a block (whether you're not doing enough damage, or perhaps it kills you first), including incoming/ outgoing damage, but I don't think it's doable while keeping the clear interface.

It also took me a while before I realized that you might occasionally want to go for smaller clusters downscreen rather than for big ones in the upper parts, as the value of squares increases the further down you go.

Do you have any tests in place to ensure at least one winnable paths while building a board?

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
You have figured right that ATK/SPD (especially ATK) is most useful stat by far. I'll try to balance it out.

No, there is no guaranteed path, but you can try another seed:)

Yes, I was planning a campaign with boards as dungeons with different traits and player choosing which hero (active ability) and weapon(passive ability) to take to it. I have a list of those modifiers here: https://github.com/baturinsky/monstromino/blob/master/src/todo.txt

Also, have you tried "life" mode? You can use the form at the bottom to change mode/seed/size of the board.

Ysaye

Arbiter
One day I was looking at Path of Exile passive tree and though: "it's complex enough to be a game by itself".

And then I made it:) A game where world is a tree of stat bonuses, and you have to defeat them to get them. Quite simple yet, but already fun, imho.

There are three modes. "Vanilla" monstromino where you fight the "usual" way, even if automatically. "Life" mode is supposed to represent (in a very abstract way) a flow of human's life, with "monsters" being life situation and a simpler formula for "winning" is used. "Rainbow" is even simpler mode, without stats at all and only limitation being that board should be cleared in rainbow color order.

HuhrDbL.png

Play: https://monstromino.netlify.com/

(Chrome is recommended, otherwise some visual effects are disabled. Firefox performance really hates animations.)

Source https://github.com/baturinsky/monstromino

So, questions are:

1. Is the initial idea sound?
2. Is it easy to understand how to play?
3. Is it fun to play?
4. Where to go next? Try to expand on this (add campaign, passive/active skills, board mods etc), or change something radacally?
Maybe make "monsters" looking more monster-like and combat with them more detailed? Or this simple style is ok too?

Just me but I like it.

On point 4, what if you had only a limited view of the tree? Then you are arguably adding exploration to it.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom