Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Mordhau - Monocled First-Person Medieval Melee Game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ESh, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    There's no single player.
    You can however create a LAN server and play with Bots (and the limit of player in a server is 64).
    The game does have normal server creation but unfortunately you have to rent it. The only way not to is inviting a bunch of friends and create a match between you.

Fighting and action games are great. They are one of the few genres of games were gameplay is the absolute king. And when the mechanics are well designed and polished the gameplay experience is absolutely engaging and fun in a way very few games can be.

Yes.
    You can even, in some swords, unscrew the pommel and throw it at an enemy (end him rightly!).

Y'all just have to keep in mind the game was released this week. So there's still some polish to be made and content to be released - the devs will launch Mod tools, they want to make more maps (specially a middle east/crusaders stuff) and even more weapons are armor (they stated they might release of Eastern weapons/armor).

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Martyr Erudite

Martyr
    yeah, I didn't mean campaign and story when I said single player. a LAN server with bots is perfect.

I'm still not over War of the Roses/Vikings which literally became unplayable once they shut down the servers, since the players aren't allowed to create servers themselves. got their corpses rotting in my steam library, reminding me of better days that are long gone.

^ Top  
  3. deama Arbiter

deama
    I wonder if warhorse are looking at ripping the combat off this.

^ Top  
  4. toro Arcane

toro
    Another shit game from another retarded developer (indie or not).

At first glance, I thought that the combat is fine ... except that it doesn't work. It's the same shit from KcD but amped to 11 - using the mouse pointer for directional attacks and looking at the same time is the most retarded idea ever. I don't know who invented this shit but it doesn't work! especially in chaotic fights. In addition the parry window is too small and riposte is basically impossible in multiplayer. You simply cannot implement such a shitty combat system after Dark Souls and Nioh were released.

Talking about multiplayer - it's completely broken. Everyone goes for the thrust stabbing attacks. Great tactic ... but then the biggest enemy is the lag. You click attack, your sword doesn't move and the enemy gibs you instantly. Rinse and repeat. I've played a couple of games, it was hilarious as in the team with less lag was winning the game. You could simply see who is winning by checking the team's ping ladder: more green - winning, more red - losing. Their network code must be utter garbage and the game is basically in a un-releasable state.

Fuck this shit.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Erm, wat? KcD has mostly the same generic combat system like most action\rpg games.

The only existing "same shit" is Chivalry and Mirage. Dark souls is casual shit compared to this. How can you even compare a game for console peasants to glorious PC game taking full advantage of superior control scheme?

Whats so hard about riposte? Parry enemy attack, click attack button, ???, profit. Also you can use shields if you want unlimited parry window.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    ^ Top  
  6. toro Arcane

toro
    It's the same thing. In KcD you have 5 directional attacks while in Mordhau you have infinite 4 directional attacks ... but you also have an additional fighting mode. So deep.

The controls are clunky as fuck, there is nothing superior about them. Also Mordhau has worse animations than Dark Souls 1 and that game was released 9 years ago.

Make a video. Show me that shit in multiplayer.

Edit: I still have the game installed. I will probably try it again ... but not before they solve the ping problem.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    ^ Top  
  7. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Like M&B Warband, you never played it. Also in KCD you would have to lock on to an enemy to be able to use directional atacks while in Mordhau you don't have that restriction.

It's good enough.

Bullshit.

Then take advantage of everyone stupidity and counter it.

Maybe your internet connection. Try to join servers with ping bellow 80. I've had maybe 3-5 minutes of lag in all my match, and I've already clocked nearly 10 hours.

Actually you have 7 directional attacks, the alternative weapon mode and chambering (which is something no hack & slash game had so far).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. panda Learned

panda
    You just need 400 hours like this guy. He was a closed beta tester, ez headshots strikes from unprotected directions all day long.

^ Top  
  9. toro Arcane

toro
    You know the definition of retardation: when you are justifying shit for which even the developer apologizes.

Tl;DR: All servers are shit because there are lag spikes (from under 40ms to >240ms).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    In KcD you can't move during attack animation and have to lock on enemy to hit it. So like the only things that matter is timing, range and attack type.

In Mordhau you can move during attack animation and don't have any locks, which allows you to speed up\slow down your attack, move to\away from opponent during an attack, change its direction to make it harder to parry, etc.
    So its like 2d vs 3d. Not to mention weapons clashing of each other if they happen to intersect and also chambering.
    Here is a dev video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-B4AwgArwA&t=418s
    Idk. Its as easy as it looks, just press any attack button when you hear opponent's weapon stricking yours during a parry and its a riposte.
    Maybe you meant chambers not riposte? I've rarely been able to pull them off so far.

^ Top  
  11. Seethe Savant

Seethe
    Yeah, many times I left click to attack and my attack simply does not register. I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    ^ Top  
  12. toro Arcane

toro
    Apparently I'm a retard and I only learn the hard way therefore I've put 2 more hours into the game (I cannot refund it anyway). I wanted to test exactly what you mentioned: why my hits don't register ... sometimes.

I tried to swing at the same time as my opponents. From 50 tries (more ore less), the swords clanged exactly 2 times and the rest of the time I got rekt. In almost all the cases the opponent had better ping (30ms versus my 60ms ping).

In fact if someone looks at the score ladder then it will notice that first positions are occupied by catapults faggots and low ping players. Great game. GGGGG-gggg-GG-gggggit gud!

Uninstalled. This shit was not ready for release.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Martyr Erudite

Martyr
    hast thou played Chivalry? if yes, can you compare the two?
    asking because I already own Chivalry and would like to know if Mordhau is an "upgrade" to Chivalry.

^ Top  
  14. toro Arcane

toro
    I did not play Chivalry therefore I cannot compare them. Sorry.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Seethe Savant

Seethe
    I would hardly consider it a massive upgrade. It is an upgrade, because in Chivalry you could spin around like a ballerina and hit people offscreen while dodging the attack. It still boils down to the same thing though: you duel a guy, and then some archer snipes you across the map or you get decapitated from behind.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The game is pretty good. Very responsive. I wish they had duel servers though and maps would've been better to setup one on one encounters. I am also not a fan that you can't conveniently change your equipment while in match.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Seethe Savant

Seethe

By the way, you should try refunding it anyway. I managed to refund games I have played for 5 hours. Use broken matchmaking and crappy servers as a reason, they will probably refund it for you. I have refunded Mortal Kombat 11 with 4 hours of game time a few days ago.

^ Top  
  18. toro Arcane

toro
    Thanks for info but I've bought from a reseller. Idk. Maybe the game gets some major improvements.

^ Top  
  19. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    I am sorry, but torro sounds like a person who judges the game based on his ignorance to games mechanics (and maybe his unfortunate geographical position / internet quality), not games actual flaws or virtues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Here's how server list looks for me (notice ping):
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Wulfric Pinewood Learned Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    It's really great game, finally i can play Black Knight and shout THOU SHALL NOT PASS , or ITS JUST A SCRATCH AFTER LOSING TWO HANDS!

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Ba'al Novice

Ba'al
    Lirik the twitch streamer played this, userbase seems to be growing. According to steamcharts it's at 47k.

^ Top  
  23. Dodo1610 Learned

Dodo1610

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    I found Chivalry more fun. Refunded Mordhau.

• Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. toro Arcane

toro
    Maybe you can actually write 'toro' instead of 'torro'. It would be an improvement.

[​IMG]

I live in a second rate country but at least I got "Fuck you!" internet connection.

Do you have other excuses for Mordhau shitty servers?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)