Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Mordhau - Monocled First-Person Medieval Melee Game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ESh, Mar 9, 2017.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    Probably because some of their servers are in Moscow. So privileged.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Mordhau 1v1 combat is probably an "upgrade" over chivalry, 1vsMany - not so much.

You cant trade blows in mordhau since there is no "release" phase, if an opponent hits you 1 millisecond before your strike would have connected, you flinch and he receives no damage. Also it seems they nerfed team damage its like 50% or something (though its the same on official Chivalry servers) and there is a perk that decreases that further by half. So if you fight against several dudes at once they will swing their weapons with abandon and its very hard to land a blow on them because of flinch.

Also there is this :
    Another thing i don't like is you cant even view scoreboard after the end of the match to see how much ass you kicked, which is kinda strange considering K/D is the only thing that matters in this mode.

Btw, network issues seem to have been fixed. Official servers are back to 64 players and i didn't notice any lags while playing today.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I have to admit, maps are worse compared to chivalry (even Deadliest Warrior).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Yeah. They have to make more maps and game modes or the game will die out in a few months.
    They also shouldn't release the mod tools late.

^ Top  
  5. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Lack of maps and hardly seeing Frontline (IE the only somewhat interesting game mode for me) servers is honestly why I had to request a refund. I'll definitely keep watching the game because it was pretty fun and I see fair potential, but I could already feel the creeping feeling of buyer's remorse in the first hour and a half of playing.

I foresee the player base of this dwindling pretty quickly once the hype dies down if they don't release new stuff more quickly or push mod support very fast. And yeah, the maps they have now were pretty damn underwhelming.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    You can select frontline in server browser filter and it'll show only servers with frontline. Official ones don't switch game modes.

^ Top  
  7. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Playing this makes me realize how much better Warband is in the swordfighting department compared to other games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    They already said they were going to include new maps and modes in free updates after they fix the server issues (by adding more servers, they didn't expect it the game to do as well as it has)

The game will also have modding/steam workshop support so expect people to port over Chiv maps.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    the best thing about this game is the character creation and how you are not locked into specific pre-made builds or classes.

made a dude w/ a 3 firebombs, all medium armors with the perks that reduces fire damage, makes the enemy drop all their equipment on kill, and decreases team dmg.. can spawn in, chuck 3 fire bombs behind the enemy and as they back up to defend from getting attacked, start melting and dropping like flies.. then I can run in there and grab their equipment. weapons and armor procurred on site.

^ Top  
  10. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    But fortunately this aspect here is honestly better. Bannerlord would benefit alot from this game's chambering mechanic.

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Warband has chambering already and it's handled much better.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Never played it, but watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKvP2VoqTvw and doesn't its combat system come down to playing rock-paper-scissors faster than your opponent? Ofc there is also range and weapon diffenrence to consider, but idk. I like the way parries and ripostes are handled in Chivalry and Mordhau much more.

Edit: Not implying thats its easy to play this rock-paper-scissors game, it seems hard to learn and nigh on impossible to master, but not very fun. And it being the core part of the combat system would mean that one can't really take part in melee in m&b warband and not immediately get rekt unless one expended enormous ammount of effort into getting good at it.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Warband is meant to be played in third person and the game's chambering is less forgiving than Mordhau. You can hold swings and blocks and don't have a half second delay on every single action you want to take and kicking isn't as fucked up. It might seem simpler but you have way more options in every engagement and can switch between them on the fly whereas in Mordhau you have a tiny window to feint or morph and can't hold a swing or block.

^ Top  
  14. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    You can hold block with shields in Mordhau & holding strike is just stupid (also it dumbs down fighting).

^ Top  
  15. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Everyone just spams thrusts with rapiers anyways and the chambering is so easy you get people chambering until one of their stamina bars run out. It's already dumb.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    You describe a simple solution to a braindead spamming tactic. I don't think it would've been better if in order to counter some braindead shit you your only option would've been some technically demanding high iq move.
    In regular combat (not against some one button spammers) chambering adds more complexity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Just another barebones jank, mildly amusing for a couple of hours every now and then, but not much else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Chambering does offer more complexity when done right, which it isn't in Mordhau. It costs more stamina than parrying and has a huge window to do.

^ Top  
  19. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    It costs more stamina because it's more effective. It doesn't guarantee a hit (unless opponent is dragging too much), but paired with dragging/accelerating counterattack it is just one of the ways to throw opponent off guard. What else do you need from that mechanic and how changing it's stamina cost or other attribute can transform it to the right?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius

:shredder:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    ^ Top  
  21. Wulfric Pinewood Learned Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Playin "Imagine" on the Lute in the middle of flying legs, hands and heads, with dozen of knight stabbing, slashing, crushing and yell in pain agony around is really something worth to live for.

Grab LuteBot 1.2 and play this or other famous tracks on the lute in the medieval battle. Nothing beats more than humble peasant with a lute playing Raining blood in the middle of apocaliptic battlefield.
    https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13519/mordhau-lute-bot/

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Vityaz Learned

Vityaz
    The Dodge perk is pretty good in this game, especially with weapons that have a humongous reach (Zweihander, Spear).

However, it can easily become a clutch and more experienced players will not let themselves get baited into distance poking.

So yeah, the game is predy gud so far IMHO.

^ Top  
  23. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    Anyone playing this after release? Except me ofc. I'm having fun, altough - they really need to introduce more maps into the game.
    Bloodlust perk is pretty OP, I agree. I run it on two of my builds and man - sometimes I got like 5-10 kill streaks in shitty game where I had 3/10 before. Like going into killing frienzy, chopping opponents to pieces one after another.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)