Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

Turjan

Arcane
On my first attempt, my climactic end battle consisted of Dagoth Ur falling into the lava and die. He obviously didn't know the fly spell.

I liked the game, anyway. But this was definitely not its high point.

DraQ

Arcane
Nope, only the Moon-and-Star ring supposedly could be worn by Nerevarine.
And it was supposedly blessed by Azura, so if Azura's plan never involved actual incarnate of Nerevar but just throwing disposable people at the problem it would still work with non-Nerevarine PC.

As for Dagoth Ur, the main problem is hilariously bad AI, and poor spell selection. Give DU player's spelbook and give control over him to a seasoned player and he will be your worst nightmare.

Nope, only the Moon-and-Star ring supposedly could be worn by Nerevarine.
And it was supposedly blessed by Azura, so if Azura's plan never involved actual incarnate of Nerevar but just throwing disposable people at the problem it would still work with non-Nerevarine PC.

As for Dagoth Ur, the main problem is hilariously bad AI, and poor spell selection. Give DU player's spelbook and give control over him to a seasoned player and he will be your worst nightmare.

Same goes for all other mages in the game. Their AI chooses what spell to cast based on what costs the most for them.If they have 100 in destruction magic and Thermonuclear Blast costs 50 mana, but their 0 in illusion 5s Silence spell costs 51 mana, they will spam Silence until they are dry.

Indeed the most hilariously bad AI imaginable. I think there are some mods that fix the spell usage, but their solution is to basically make it a random choice.

jazzotron

Liturgist
On my first attempt, my climactic end battle consisted of Dagoth Ur falling into the lava and die. He obviously didn't know the fly spell.

I liked the game, anyway. But this was definitely not its high point.
Happened to me too! But I think this was corrected in a later patch.

DraQ

Arcane
Same goes for all other mages in the game. Their AI chooses what spell to cast based on what costs the most for them.If they have 100 in destruction magic and Thermonuclear Blast costs 50 mana, but their 0 in illusion 5s Silence spell costs 51 mana, they will spam Silence until they are dry.

Indeed the most hilariously bad AI imaginable. I think there are some mods that fix the spell usage, but their solution is to basically make it a random choice.
Well, at least they can dispel if they are actually affected by harmful magic (golden saints like doing it when you try to soultrap them), but yeah, pretty bad and premade spells the NPCs use are not too good either.

Deadeye Dragoon

Scholar
Yeah they could have made it more difficult. I remember the first time I ventured into Red Mountain I stocked up on potions, arrows and other supplies, anticipating a dangerous excursion. But then after defeating all enemies with ease and raiding several strongholds I realised that even the most dangerous region in game posed little threat. From there on every time I journeyed into Red Mountain I treated it as a casual excursion like any other.

It's a shame that Bethesda likes to keep everything within walking distance of each other. I think a far better Red Mountain design would be to have everything far apart, so that travelling to any location within it would be an arduous task, that would tax your inventory of potions, arrows, repair hammers and other supplies. Add some actual dangerous enemies, disable mark, recall, divine and Almsivi intervention and you have an area that actually lives up to it's in-game reputation.

Yeah. "Non-levitate" areas would've been nice in various areas. And I was also disssappointed at the ease of the final area (AND FUCKING ANNOYED AT DUST BLOWING EVERYWHERE. MY MAIN GOAL SWITCHED FROM SAVING WHATEVER TO STOPPING THE DUST).

Challenges were a problem no doubt (except for that north Nord island, which was suprisingly tough, at least for me). My love for the game was the lore and exploration. If someone wanted a challenge though in vanilla, killing an ordinator isn't a bad way to go. And some of the random caves were pretty challenging with their wizards and warriors, if one didn't bow the enemies to death.

Plus, at least early to midgame:

"Pick up ruby from altar"
"Dremora"
"Shit"

Maybe the entire game could've been better if soul-capturing wasn't in. Thus no superpowered items and more balance. Or I could've not been a pussy powergamer and just not done that. But that's not my responsibility!

DraQ

Arcane
(...) disable mark, recall, divine and Almsivi intervention

Yeah. "Non-levitate" areas would've been nice in various areas.
(...)

Maybe the entire game could've been better if soul-capturing wasn't in. Thus no superpowered items and more balance.
Eat Muatra and die. :x

No, seriously, "cut/arbitrarily disable x, because it's currently imba" is not a valid solution.
It's a bethesda solution.

How about nerfing levitation by, inflating mana consumption to make it most costly alteration spell, allowing only the same air control you get when falling (except also up and down), making it dispel on action (like invisibility) and on getting hit by any form of damage, with any hit automatically putting you in knockdown state (so you won't recast or do anything productive before crashing into the ground)?

How about nerfing recall by giving it range?

How about nerfing interventions by making them work only once per lengthy period of time, adding some gravity to those, after all, religious spells?

Enchant should merely be balanced conventionally, maybe depend on magic schools as well as enchant skill. Soultrapping or generally abusing summons could be fixed without breaking verisimilitude (since it should be possible) by adding reputation with daedra/outer realms that would affect effects of summoning spells and would take a hit on summon abuse. You'd still be able to soultrap summons for fun and profit, just not for very long.

"How can you kill a god? No Recall or intervention or levitation can work in this place."

2q3zrk9.jpg

:troll:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
if you made levitation only move up or down and made actual movement only occur while falling ("gliding") after the spell was cancelled, it would become slightly harder to use (like the fortify acrobatics trick)

attackfighter

Magister
abnaxus said:
Levitation did work.

I think he means it should be added. nevermind i get it

But more importantly, what's wrong with Dagoth Ur's faaaace?

Draq said:
How about nerfing interventions by making them work only once per lengthy period of time, adding some gravity to those, after all, religious spells?

Yeah that would work, but what I was suggesting was to disable them only inside Ghost Fence. It makes sense that the Ghost Fence would inhibit teleportation on top of regular travel, otherwise the logic behind it breaks down, since Dagoth Ur's agents could have operated freely on the outside without the use of Kogoruhn, so both GF and Kogoruhn would have been pointless.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
My understanding of Dagoth Ur's mask.

Vivec, Almalexia, and others don't have any fixed physical appearance - being demi-gods under the power of Lorkhan's heart, they can choose to look like whatever they want to look like. The mask of Dagoth Ur isn't a mask - it's his chosen face.

Lunac

Arcane
Trying to fool the player into thinking the Morrowind is this great landmass when it only totals barely 10 square miles. They had to use physical obstructions and I'm not talking about obvious things like mountain ranges. I'm talking about boulders and large trees in specific places. Otherwise you could run across the landmass in minutes. Well, you can anyway even with those in place. So much for immersion. All those "cities" and "villages" stuffed into 10 square miles.

If anyone remembers, it was a big shock when they announced the landmass would be around 10 square miles on the forums, when everyone expected 100s at a minimum. They tried to comfort the community by saying everything was "hand placed" and "unique". Hah! For the real reason everything was "hand placed" see above.

If fact they didn't really comfort anyone. Just said "about 10 square miles" as a matter of fact in a "fuk you" tone and then someone else, some forum PR drone few days later said something about hand placed uniqueness, once the threads on the matter became numerous. The birth of asshole Bethesda right there.

DraQ

Arcane
That's Morroblivion for ya!

14932-1-1237522006.jpg

36483-1-1294568188.jpg
I was always wondering about retards claiming that Oblivious had better faces than Morrowind.

Ok there were some faces in MW that even mother couldn't love, but they were at least distinct and somehow purposefully ugly, resembling actual faces.

Oblivion, OTOH brought us:
600px-OB-npc-Laralthir.jpg

and
600px-OB-npc-Dumania_Jirich.jpg

The latter even says:

"They say that I was selected as Dibella's Primate in large part because of my loving nature and my striking looks."

when asked.

Notice that she's priestess of fucking Dibella (well, both of them are), the fucking goddess of fucking beauty.
:retarded:

:what:
Prosper has discovered Oblivion.
We are doomed.

Hopw roewur ne.

But more importantly, what's wrong with Dagoth Ur's faaaace?
:salute:

Can't unsee.

Yeah that would work, but what I was suggesting was to disable them only inside Ghost Fence. It makes sense that the Ghost Fence would inhibit teleportation on top of regular travel, otherwise the logic behind it breaks down, since Dagoth Ur's agents could have operated freely on the outside without the use of Kogoruhn, so both GF and Kogoruhn would have been pointless.
Ok, you have a point here - you shouldn't be able to teleport through the ghostfence (or levitate across it).
How about both solutions?

if you made levitation only move up or down and made actual movement only occur while falling ("gliding") after the spell was cancelled, it would become slightly harder to use (like the fortify acrobatics trick)
Shit idea, I think.

It would only turn the act of Levitating into a platformer minigame of sorts where you'd try to gain altitude and glide where you'd want to end, repeatedly.

Vivec, Almalexia, and others don't have any fixed physical appearance - being demi-gods under the power of Lorkhan's heart, they can choose to look like whatever they want to look like. The mask of Dagoth Ur isn't a mask - it's his chosen face.
I don't think it applies to Almsivi, even though it applies to Daedra.

As for the Masks, do note that both Tribunal and Dagoth Ur seem to like using them - Almalexia uses mask, Sotha Sil used one, and so does Dagoth Ur. Vivec doesn't use proper one, but he does have his fiery aurora thing.

I guess it's just a cultural or metaphysical thing.

The latter even says:

"They say that I was selected as Dibella's Primate in large part because of my loving nature and my striking looks."

when asked.

Notice that she's priestess of fucking Dibella (well, both of them are), the fucking goddess of fucking beauty.
:retarded:

I'm pretty sure that's a joke, like the "if everyone knew how to pick locks, we wouldn't need keys" random dialogue. :M

(the jury is still on fence about the "have you come seeking the light?" guy, since that was too good to have been on purpose)

DraQ

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that's a joke, like the "if everyone knew how to pick locks, we wouldn't need keys" random dialogue. :M

(the jury is still on fence about the "have you come seeking the light?" guy, since that was too good to have been on purpose)
I'm quite sure that "seeking the light" was on purpose (and if it wasn't it was at least lulzy rather than full retard), but lockpicking and striking looks seem like genuine retardation.

Striking looks could be purposeful if it wasn't for the fact that everyone in oblivion looks like creepy malformed tuber.

Btw why don't you codexians like oblivion? It's not that different from morrowind.
Rape is also "not that different" from consensual sex, yet the opinions on both are rather polarized.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Dagoth Ur probably wears a mask because his face looks like a corprus monster. He drew power from the Heart carelessly and with wild abandon, unlike the Tribunal.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
it would apply to anyone with sufficient skill in illusion or alteration i think. i don't really remember, but i think jagar tharn did change shape, and did not just use some illusion to appear like the emperor.

DraQ

Arcane
it would apply to anyone with sufficient skill in illusion or alteration i think. i don't really remember, but i think jagar tharn did change shape, and did not just use some illusion to appear like the emperor.
I think there is subtle difference between changing your facial features and arbitrarily (as in not into a form of existing creature) changing your material form.

Deleted member 7219

Of course you weren't the real Nerevarine because there is no such a thing! Haven't you seen all those pawns nerevarines at the shrine of Azura?
Her daedric ass was so butthurt after the apotheosis of Vivec that she wanted to destroy the heart without getting her hands dirty.

The point is, you could wield Moon-and-Star, the others couldn't.

Also, Dagoth Ur, Vivec and Almalexia, all contemporaries of Nerevar, all recognise you as the Nerevarine.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Moon-and-Star only wearable by Nerevar is a legend.

Vivec doesn't care whom your character really is, he just needs your help.

Almalexia was just sucking up to your character and planning to kill him/her.

Dagoth Ur actually asks whom your character really is, and you can answer however you please.

Apart from Shezarrines (lol Dragonborn), there is no reincarnation in TES lore.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like how she collected the corpses of the 'failed incarnates'.

"Sure baby, you're the real one". I think i actually laughed, well played anonymous soulcrushed TES ghostwriter.

that is, if she didn't kill them herself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom