Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind, looking back, is at best a 4/10 game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't get Morrowind either, but my wife can't get enough of it. She says she enjoys it by imagining shit in her head when she's playing. I can't do that, cause I have no imagination, so the game sucks for me. (at least it became boring after I reached the pyramids)

Also of note is the fact that the graphics at the time were mind blowing. Just walking around those places was already super entertaining on itself.

Some of the game mechanics like vampirism and finding a cure for it are pretty cool, though. I wish modern game devs could learn from those.

Cthulhu_is_love

I don't get intercourse either, but my wife can't get enough of it. She says she enjoys it by imagining other men in her head when we're fucking. I can't do that, cause I have no imagination, so the sex sucks for me. (at least it became boring after I reached the climax)

fixd that

rohand

Cipher
Say what you want about the slug-speed hiking through cliff racer infested wastelands, I can still hear the wonderful sounds of Almalexia getting clubbed to death by my character.

... I'll probably have to install it again.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
j3uJvFv.png

All the games in the top list are flawed, the ideal perfect rpg only exists in our hearts. Plus the Codex has a hardon for "rough gems", and Morrowind is one of the roughest around.

Yeah, but there is a difference between a game with flaws thats generally fun to play, and a game full of flaws that has one or two redeeming characteristics. Take Planescape: Torment for example, yeah, its combat is shit, but there is so little of it, and even that can sometimes be avoided, so in the end, it doesn't really take much away from the enjoyment of the game. Morrowind (and some other titles high on the list), on the other hand, tons of shitty combat, lots of boring dungeons/caves to slog through, weird character development system, wikipedia NPCs, broken balance, boring settlement design and terrible NPC scripting, etc.

TES3 was the last Beth sandbox that: a) was made for PC, b) had an interesting (sub)setting and c) didn't punish you for your playstyle. Anyone who wants to rate it low should first name a better open-world CRPG.

First 3 are obvious: Gothic, Gothic 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. Others are more debatable, but I would put F3 and Gothic 3 above Morrowind too. Open world RPGs is not exactly a genre that had a ton of entries either.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's true. I wasted an estimated 400~ hours of my life on this game in my senior year of college back a decade or so ago, and I'm sorry but the game just isn't good at all. Combat isn't satisfying, and yes I know how to play the game and not miss, but that doesn't excuse it for being so poor. I haven't played the game in around 8-10 years and I've forgotten most item places, but somehow I am only a level 2 mage and I'm wrecking the fuck out of anyone in my way with custom spells. I've also accumulated 4329 gold in around 3 hours play time, and I have full Indoril, the best medium armor set in the game. This is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I like walking in my RPG's and exploring; but with Morrowind there isn't a whole lot to explore. Enemy variety is mediocre at best, and dungeon layout isn't any better. 90% of dungeons have utter garbage loot, uninteresting layout and have no purpose. Don't get me started on the dialogue. Most NPCs have no reason to exist, because they all spout the same damn lines. Bethesda should have just made the NPCs like regular CRPG villagers: they'll say a prerecorded line of dialogue, and that's it. Another ridiculous issue I've run into is the fact that I can join any faction in the game, even if they hate each other, just by bribing the individuals that I have to talk to. FFS I can be a member of the mages guild AND Telvani, two factions that are huge rivals, just because I have money. At least they got the houses right, you can't join House Hlaalu and House Redoran for example.

Well this game is semi-playable I guess, unlike modern Beth RPGs. I'd much rather play Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, or other CRPG any other day of the week...
i c

You played 400 hours of a shit game, and you have seen the light finally.

Interesting.

Do you mind sharing your experience in the dedicated sub-forum?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I don't get Morrowind either, but my wife can't get enough of it. She says she enjoys it by imagining shit in her head when she's playing. I can't do that, cause I have no imagination, so the game sucks for me. (at least it became boring after I reached the pyramids)
Pyramids?

Yeah, but there is a difference between a game with flaws thats generally fun to play, and a game full of flaws that has one or two redeeming characteristics. Take Planescape: Torment for example, yeah, its combat is shit, but there is so little of it, and even that can sometimes be avoided, so in the end, it doesn't really take much away from the enjoyment of the game. Morrowind (and some other titles high on the list), on the other hand, tons of shitty combat, lots of boring dungeons/caves to slog through, weird character development system, wikipedia NPCs, broken balance, boring settlement design and terrible NPC scripting, etc.

Matter of opinion, really. For me MW is the game that is generally fun to play while PST is the one with a few redeeming characteristics (namely, the story and characters, but since I don't care much for those aspects, I end up noticing the negatives like the shitty combat and linearity more)

imweasel

If Morrowind wasn't a success then Todd wouldn't be raping Fallout and Troika would have picked up the Fallout license instead. And made millions. And the decline would have never happend. And Bethesda would have went out of business. And everything would be grand.

Fuck Morrowind. Damn overrated turd.

I would put F3 and Gothic 3 above Morrowind
:what:

P.S. Gothic was banal generic fantasy that I couldn't stand for more than 15 minutes.
I think you might be a faggot, better check with your doctor.
lol the old ongoing since 2002 hatred between morrowindfags and gothiclovers :lol: i always preferred weirdness of vvardenfell than those fucking camps in gothic 1 but to each his own i guess¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gothic is suposedly a good game. But Morrownid is a game I'm able to finish seven three times. If only someone remade the Oblivion in such spirit but even modern Obshitian is into XVI century Motherfracking G'd Old'e and MRV^Y England LARP now.

Backstabber

Educated
Gothic 1/2 have stronger mechanics and superior world design, Morrowind has better story/lore and a stronger modding community

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
P.S. Gothic was banal generic fantasy that I couldn't stand for more than 15 minutes.
This guy. :roll:

Let's see. Gothic had a handcrafted world, every guy you met had personality, and the game succeeded in making a believable world where you're just a shitty prisoner that had to carve his place. You had to earn your place, the respect of others, and getting it changed what you had access to, locations, quests and equipement. The music was awesome. Also, you could make bros, and some dudes could backstab you in the story. The game made you care. Features that are now only implemented in The Witcher 3 were already there: dudes and guards reacting to you stealing and drawing a weapon in a city zone, and to enemies / wildlife. Also, full day/night schedules for every NPC.

Morrowind had a huge world and tons of NPCs, but they all had the same copypasted dialogues, all Fighters had the same Fighter text, a vastness of blandness. Plus Soule-less music, and you could become the top dude in each rival Guild, and even then when you're the boss that doesn't change a thing at all, except access to a fucking chest. Your only choice in quests was to either take it or leave it. No reactivity at all. Also graphics sucked: my god the NPCs' eyes, melting on their faces like broken eggs.

Yeah, pretty sure which one is the bland one.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Gothic is the most overrated piece of crap from here to watchwitz. i'd rather play unmodded oblivion.

Backstabber

Educated
Gothic is the most overrated piece of crap from here to watchwitz. i'd rather play unmodded oblivion.

Personally, I didn't think Oblivion was a very good game. The entire thing felt soulles, due to the frequent use of recycled assets which gave everything a "samey" feeling, kind of like Gothic 3. The mechanics for combat, magic, and stealth may have been a slight step forward in comparison to Morrowind, but they still felt lacking when compared to other Action RPG's which were released at the time, and the story wasn't particularly interesting, which was specially disappointing after Morrowind's creativity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom