Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind mods are a fucking jungle

DraQ

Arcane
Make developing any skill exhaust your character's future potential and players will be picky over whether they want to run fast or maybe cast better spells.

As far as Morrowind goes, that would work only with the Speed attribute, you choose wether to increase it or not. But not with the skill system, you don't get to choose wether to level Athletics or not.
Read the part of my post above your quote.

Wouldn't it be better if skills were near impossible to master if not Majors? The idea being that if your class doesn't support it, you stop experience points in Athletics about the time regular trainers can't coach you anymore. Or just make the progression exponentially more difficult by then. This keeps the novelty of the use-driven system and maintains the identity of the classes, without oddities like some guy who hikes across whole continents but can't keep his breath.

I'm not sure about keeping class identity being worth it - I like flexibility.
However, I am sure about keeping character identity, so the further you progress, the less flexibility you should have.

I think that exponential increase of skill-up cost, regardless of skill and its level, each time you increase a skill, difficulty-based XP gain (meaning no XP for trivial actions), and maybe even increasing XP threshold (meaning still no XP for progressively less trivial actions as you gain more skill-ups) would discourage stupid grind, make player think twice before squandering initial class bonuses, yet be able to alter their build goal compared with initial class.
Weeks playing the game and I just discovered the quick keys submenu.

I hate myself.
And rightly so.
:smug:

Tried the graphics extender for the first time ever, out of curiosity. Game crashes on startup.

PRhLdV.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
I'm not sure about keeping class identity being worth it - I like flexibility.
However, I am sure about keeping character identity, so the further you progress, the less flexibility you should have.

The idea isn't to make TES' character system rigid, just to enforce better what the categories of skills (Major, Minor, Miscellaneous) supposedly mean. Though I suppose the issues aren't entirely the character system's, rather how easy it is to get gold in this game and to pay for skill ups. Besides, Athletics is a bit of a oddity, you'll use it no matter what you do.

But I agree, as far as the attribute system go, the character can grind points far too easily. But let's not forget that part of character's identity is your class' in Morrowind. So removing skills and tweaking the attributes isn't the only way to go, you can also tweak the class/skill system in order to cull grinding.

Weeks playing the game and I just discovered the quick keys submenu.

I hate myself.
And rightly so.
:smug:
Did I mention this was after losing a whole day of playtime because I forgot to quicksave? So this:

:rage:
Turned into this:
:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:
THERE ARE QUICK KEYS IN THIS GAME?!
:rage::rage::rage:
I DIDN'T HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN THROUGH THAT LIST OF DOOM WITH MY BROKEN MOUSE EVERY TIME I WANTED TO CAST PISS OF FLAME?!
:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:
SERIOUSLY. Did the tutorial ever mention this? God, tell me it doesn't so I can blame the game.

Though to be fair, I didn't just get used to Morrowind's interface. I actually love it. A single click and I can access every spell and item I have. The quick keys are always a convenience, but I'd rather a second, smaller, spell list comprised of my most used spells. Or one that I can customize. That way I can quickly access different elemental strikes and etcetera.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The new code patch has some spelllist only 'first letter of the spell selects it' thing now.

Kamoho

Savant
Codex, is there any way to set my res to 1920x1020 and a reasonable fov that works? I've tried MGE 3.8.0b, which doesn't seem to have a fov setting at all, and MGE XE, which wants me to do all kinds of extraneous shit I don't give a damn about. The FPS optimizer I've seen suggested on the interwebs doesn't work, neither. :mad:

Codex, is there any way to set my res to 1920x1020 and a reasonable fov that works? I've tried MGE 3.8.0b, which doesn't seem to have a fov setting at all, and MGE XE, which wants me to do all kinds of extraneous shit I don't give a damn about. The FPS optimizer I've seen suggested on the interwebs doesn't work, neither. :mad:
I use MGE 3.8.2 and have a "Horz. FOV" setting in the "Render state" tab.

Kamoho

Savant

That worked, someone brofist this one for me. :bro:

deuxhero

Arcane
You mean the ability to set items to the number keys?

I think I figured that out either by pressing everything like I would do in a non-popamole game, or seeing it in the control config menu.

Codexlurker

Savant

That worked, someone brofist this one for me. :bro:
BROFISTED!
MW-icon-skill-Hand-to-hand.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Someone should make a double or triple size UI for 1080p, but I guess that's too hard to make. Easier to just make a million female face mods.

DraQ

Arcane
Though I suppose the issues aren't entirely the character system's, rather how easy it is to get gold in this game and to pay for skill ups.
This.

Also, trainers should demand either flat fee for training session (depending on their skill), or annoyance/special training bonus proportional to the difference between your skill and half of their skill.

Additionally, some "intermediate" training method - for example training not buying skill levels, but merely raising the skill cap for train by use - might be in order.

Besides, Athletics is a bit of a oddity, you'll use it no matter what you do.
That's why I would make it GTFO from skill system and into attributes, along with acrobatics.
Running speed would be speed based, swimming speed str based, stamina burn rate and its %encumbrance penalty based off endurance while acrobatics would depend on agility.

Don't think of it as cutting skills - rather as getting two free skill slots to be filled by something more interesting. :martini:

But let's not forget that part of character's identity is your class' in Morrowind.
True, though I would regard it more as a starting point. The problem is to constrain development path in such way that allows you even pretty dramatic changes, yet doesn't allow for mastering everything.

Delterius said:
Though to be fair, I didn't just get used to Morrowind's interface. I actually love it. A single click and I can access every spell and item I have. The quick keys are always a convenience, but I'd rather a second, smaller, spell list comprised of my most used spells. Or one that I can customize. That way I can quickly access different elemental strikes and etcetera.
With hotkeys you could bind often used and "strategically located" spells to number keys so that you could reach your other frequently used spells with few next/previous key presses. :smug:

9? If we allow at most 3 prev/next presses you had up to 63 spells selectable in a second, without even having to go into menu.

CrisGer

Literate
I will try to catch up here, but can help with mods and advice for Morrowind as have been studying and modding it for years...and it remains a remarkable game. Will try to catch up on the many pages here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Was reading the discussion all the way back on page 4 re: BTB's vs. GCD and I'm wondering if I use BTB but have acrobatics and athletics as misc skills will I be unbearably slow until I train significant levels of athletics and unable to jump more than an inch without the acrobatics? Keep in mind I'm going to be playing a Redguard melee/heavy armor character.

You won't be more unbearably slow than in vanilla, no. But since Misc skills don't raise with use in BTB and you'll be going melee, you'll probably want to at least make Athletics a minor. The growth rate of Atheltics is reduced, so you won't level too fast like in vanilla.

PROGRESSION RATES:

Acrobatics

0.10 per jump (instead of 0.15)
5.00 per fall (instead of 3.00)

Athletics

0.01 per second of running (instead of 0.02)
0.05 per second of swimming (instead of 0.03)

Also, BTB's version of adrenaline rush includes a fortify acrobatics effect, so if you really need to jump over something you'll probably be able to.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Okay question about the rest of my build then given I'm using BTB.

Major: Long Blade, Heavy Armor, Block, uh... debating whether or not I want to put blunt in there but two weapon specialties seems dumb (though I don't want to be gimped if I find a good non-sword) and maybe... Restoration? Also thinking Speechcraft as a major because I dicked around on Seyda Neen for a bit with Speechcraft as a minor and I was like 25 or lower with most npcs in terms of reputation.

Minor: Armorer, Athletics, Enchanting (mostly to recharge weapons/items), Security (for picking locks), and bleh...? Marksman maybe?

Although I'm tempted to go with the sign that boosts Strength and Personality the one with 50% magic reduction/absorb seems pretty OP for a slow melee character.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Hells yeah you want the blunt. How else will you sunder a bitch (granted not strictly necessary because of the fortify attack it has, but wielding the MIGHTY TOOLS OF KAGRENAC just feels wrong when you have 15 points in the relevant skill)?

DraQ

Arcane
Friends don't let friends use BTB.

Some changes are excellent, but overall the guy is even more axe happy than bethesda in terms of cutting or disabling features he perceives as imbalancing or spurious.
And he's about as paranoid in spotting those "issues" as Stalin was in spotting potential threats around him.

If you want to play Morrowind effectively without spellmaker (because anything it might be useful for just happens to be forbidden by BTB) and without the more interesting part of enchanting you might just as well fire up Skyrim.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Friends don't let friends use BTB.

Some changes are excellent, but overall the guy is even more axe happy than bethesda in terms of cutting or disabling features he perceives as imbalancing or spurious.
And he's about as paranoid in spotting those "issues" as Stalin was in spotting potential threats around him.

If you want to play Morrowind effectively without spellmaker (because anything it might be useful for just happens to be forbidden by BTB) and without the more interesting part of enchanting you might just as well fire up Skyrim.

I want to play Morrowind without the shitty leveling system and broken economy. As far as spellmaking I wouldn't exploit that even if it weren't excluded.

DraQ

Arcane
I want to play Morrowind without the shitty leveling system and broken economy.
Then get yourself GCD and HotFusion's Economy Adjuster?

Scratch your itch instead of going apeshit with total overhauls that break more than they fix.

As far as spellmaking I wouldn't exploit that even if it weren't excluded.
There is a difference between 'exploit' and 'use'.

Exploit is something like soultrap glitch or drain intelligence glitch, where you do shit that's clearly unintended and results from buggy implementation.

I don't see anything wrong in stacking, for example drain willpower with paralysis to improve chance that it will affect target, allegedly exploitish 1s drain health instakills given that the effect is completely worthless otherwise and even as instakill spell it's still less efficient and more limited than 2s fire or frost spell doing same damage. I also don't see anything exploitish in using multiple drain attribute effects in conjunction with drain fatigue to produce (expensive and situational) KO/sleep spell. Or using drain agility as spell before siccing a skeleton/dremora on someone or as enchantment on hefty blunt weapon.

You know, benefit from intricacies and possibilities opened by game mechanics instead of being barred from using it in any other way than basic "thogg smash hard" or "cast fireball, then cast fireball again while running backwards".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom