Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Ziem

Arbiter
What is an RPG fun?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh wow. Now I see why people are so pissed off at Douchebag in the Eisenwald newspost. Context is everything!

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
Oh wow. Now I see why people are so pissed off at Douchebag in the Eisenwald newspost. Context is everything!

I was just reading that his place was created for frank exchange of views. Are you upset because someone doesn't align with the Todd hating echo chamber? Why would I participate in threads where I already agree with the consensuses reached in them.

This is frustrating because I know exactly what you're trying to say and I think you know exactly what I'm trying to say, the whole thing just hinges around your use of the word fun. Yeah, Todd crafted a rollercoaster ride and if you want a rollercoaster ride then you'll enjoy it, but for a lot of us especially on this site we weren't interested in taking a trip around Todd's theme park and so the game didn't provide much or any fun.
What is an RPG fun?

Maybe thrilling is more pertinent as it's more precisely defined.

What you're describing is closer to an addiction, and that is pretty much what Skyrim has been designed to be like: it lures you into a certain behavior and keeps on throwing you these small rewards to keep you hooked

If the MMOs of the last decade have demonstrated anything, is that the most addictive are usually the hardest with the steepest learning curve and time to grind from 0 to hero. I would not call the 20M of Skyrim buyers junkies and it would be bizarro world to imply that the mainstream crowds are not mentally healthy.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Not really in rpg's no. Shooters, strategy games, mmo's etc, sure. But you look back at any gold box game, you look at the fallouts, the infinity engine, the standard weeboo games.... by the end of those games, you are rewarded for general exploration and understanding the mechanics of the game.

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
You are also rewarded for general exploration and understanding the mechanics of the game in Skyrim. You mentioned infinity engine, jrpgs and gold box games. In these games the encounters get harder faster than you get stronger and the game as a result increases in intensity and difficulty.

In Morrowind it just got too easy because all the content was designed so that you wouldn't need to complete even half of it to be strong enough to do any mission. Skyrim fixed that by scaling the difficulty along with you. You still get relatively quite strong toward the end and old areas don't scale back. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I'd still recommend using heroin as it's a lot less harmful to your brain. It also has a fairly happy userbase of around ten million buyers at the moment.
Heroin starts out as fun and turns into a hell you can't escape from in a short time and best part is you can't notice when it starts to turns into shit .

Just like Skyrim if you think about it.:troll:

Last edited:
Still have some stupid sawyerism indoctrination left over I see.

Half the fun of character creation is making optimal builds, planning things out so they work well, or watching in horror as you realize the PC/party you have built is a failure. Have you never re-started over and over to try and make that perfect mix of stats/class/skills, it's a game in an of itself. Nevermind I forgot you seem to hate fun and enjoy 'balance'.

A shitty game that depends exclusively on luck (so, a coin toss - pick some skills and hope they aren't shit), and it essentially reduces the number of viable builds for a replay since you won't ever pick the bad choices if you know what they are. ("swimming skill sounds useful...oh wait, there's that item early on which gives me infinite oxygen, let's dump it").

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It feels clumsy, slow, disorientating. You need to read huge amounts of text because there is near to no voice acting. You wan't to wipe your butt with the quest journal because it's that useless. You miss 80 % of your attacks and there is no quick travel per se.

What a masterpiece of gaming. The best Elder Scrolls game.Morrowind makes you wan't to live in Morrowind the world and listen to the theme.

MWaser

Arbiter
And that isn't the standard progress curve in a video game?
No.

Just no.

No. That is not true.

RPGs get less steamrolly as you progress. That's a known fact.
Yes, less "steamrolly" and more like "walking holocaustly" from my experience with the Gothic series, Morrowind, Arcanum and a couple of other RPGs.

You need to read huge amounts of text because there is near to no voice acting. You wan't to wipe your butt with the quest journal because it's that useless. [...]
"The quest journal is useless.

It didn't come packed with a compass."

Seethe

Arbiter
It feels clumsy, slow, disorientating. You need to read huge amounts of text because there is near to no voice acting. You wan't to wipe your butt with the quest journal because it's that useless. You miss 80 % of your attacks and there is no quick travel per se.

What a masterpiece of gaming. The best Elder Scrolls game.Morrowind makes you wan't to live in Morrowind the world and listen to the theme.

You miss like that only in the beginning because your character is a witless peasant. Your character actually needs to get better in order to stand a chance.

In Skyrim, it's more easy to finish the game if you never level up because the whole world is scaled down to your level.

Reading journals is better than following a crappy compass. It makes exploration feel awesome and gives you that "I've finally found this place" feeling. Morrowind also has more ways to fast travel, but fast travelling in Morrowind is a mechanic you can acquire early, and perfect it later. In Skyrim, all you have to do is open the map, and click. No progression there either.

Last edited:

MWaser

Arbiter
In Skyrim, it's more easy to finish the game if you never level up because the whole world is scaled down to your level.
Truly a disgrace
rpgcodex.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This isn't true, there are min and max levels for areas (higher elevation = harder than), and this is especially the case for expansion content.

Seethe

Arbiter

This isn't true, there are min and max levels for areas (higher elevation = harder than), and this is especially the case for expansion content.
Actually I said finish the game, as in finish the main quest. Also afaik you actually need to be level 10 in order to start Dawnguard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Actually I said finish the game, as in finish the main quest.

You're going to run into brick walls if you don't actually level. Alduin himself has a minimum level of 10 and has a base of over 2000 HP plus 50% damage resistance. Since weapons are also scaled to level, you're not going to make much of a dent.

Also afaik you actually need to be level 10 in order to start Dawnguard.

The thing I have says that's suggested, if you can find the place on your own, you can start it before then.

Lhynn

Arcane
Roguey, leveling can actually make you weaker in skyrim, if you level the wrong things. Sure, some enemies have a minimum level, but thats extremely low either way, compared to the pace at which you level.
For example I kinda laughed at your "stealthy" character, all stealthy characters and using poisons in skyrim do is make you kill faster at the start, which means your armor and weapon skills will level up slower. Not only that, those stealth skillpoints make you grow in level without actually affording much effectiveness in the battlefield, the reduced stealth speed actually makes dungeon crawls take many times the amount of time they should, so in a way you are hurting your progress for absolutely no benefit, its only detrimental to your character.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, leveling can actually make you weaker in skyrim, if you level the wrong things. Sure, some enemies have a minimum level, but thats extremely low either way, compared to the pace at which you level.
For example I kinda laughed at your "stealthy" character, all stealthy characters and using poisons in skyrim do is make you kill faster at the start, which means your armor and weapon skills will level up slower. Not only that, those stealth skillpoints make you grow in level without actually affording much effectiveness in the battlefield, the reduced stealth speed actually makes dungeon crawls take many times the amount of time they should, so in a way you are hurting your progress for absolutely no benefit, its only detrimental to your character.

I didn't notice any problems. Especially nothing remotely compared to the amount of problems people said they had with Oblivion.

Lhynn

Arcane
I didn't notice any problems. Especially nothing remotely compared to the amount of problems people said they had with Oblivion.
Sure you didnt, you didnt even think about it. The game is already facerollingly easy as it is either way.
Also yeah, oblivion was many times worse, but thats oblivion we are talking about.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure you didnt, you didnt even think about it. The game is already facerollingly easy as it is either way.
Also yeah, oblivion was many times worse, but thats oblivion we are talking about.

Eh, there were a few nice bumps along the way, more than my Morrowind playthrough. I was satisfied with the demands it made of me given my preferred playstyle.

Lhynn

Arcane
No there arent, as i said, you built your character like shit and had problems because of it. Only level your main combat skill, be it ranged or melee (dont bother with magic), and your armor (either light or heavy, there is absolutely no difference between them, not even the weight is different when you are done) and the game is cake.
Character progression has always been a mess in the elder scrolls games, it being counterproductive to your characters overall combat prowess? thats what oblivion and skyrim brought to the table.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No there arent, as i said, you built your character like shit and had problems because of it. Only level your main combat skill, be it ranged or melee (dont bother with magic), and your armor (either light or heavy, there is absolutely no difference between them, not even the weight is different when you are done) and the game is cake.
Character progression has always been a mess in the elder scrolls games, it being counterproductive to your characters overall combat prowess? thats what oblivion and skyrim brought to the table.

My character was fine. Not the greatest, but it wasn't intended to be, I just focused on a character concept that would be enjoyable for me to play (stealthy archer).

As I recall, I ended up maxing out my archery too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom