Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Turjan

Arcane
Well if I recall right I just asked hte people. They give you a general direction.
Yup, I had absolutely no problems with finding that guy on my first playthrough. I was surprised when I later learned that many people had difficulties with this.

However, I think I did something stupid with the package. I might have sold it to Arrille or something like that.

"Go to Balmora."

So you ask around, and someone mentions that the Silt Strider is the way to go. No fuss, no muss pay the woman and you're there. So you do and you are. Go and find the bar (after a couple false starts like, say, the guard's quarters), ask about Caius.

"Oh yeah, his house is just down the way blah blah."

Walk along reading house titles until you get there.

Done.
You stupid fucking nematodes. You're the reason I had to deal with the quest compass, and later the location bar. You're demolishing my screen space with hand holding!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comments/3usz92/i_cant_find_caius_cosades/

cuhDmKh.png

Never gets old.
It's sad considering even google has quest compass nowadays:
VJkPEEDNg.JPG

Nahel

Arcane
Getting to the locations was half of the fun of Morrowind. You had so many things to discover on the way, and there were so many possibilities with the travel spells. And it was real towns, not some fucking one street village with 3 houses as capital of a province. And yes the directions were not always clear. Because you were supposed to have brain and patience 2 things which are oppressing for most casuals nowadays.

Sometimes the directions were really vague ("The shrine is to the east of here" - thanks my n'wah, just remember to mention the mountain range on the way next time), but what makes this funny is that finding Caius is really the final part of the tutorial, even though the game told you it was already over. You learn about transportation, about asking around for clues, about factions, about trainers. Even Todd expected everyone to be able to accomplish that much.

Because you were supposed to have brain and patience 2 things which are oppressing for most casuals nowadays.

Don't do quests for Akatosh they suck!!!

I'm in Wayrest and tried to work on leveling in the guild of the Bleeding tree of Akatosh as a Novice. Who ever designed this adventure is a moron. They make you run to two towns, the people you inquire about and if you talk directly to them are completely useless. So you go to the Dungeon and bumble about in this huge maze that has levers that open gates you have no idea about or even how the stupid levers work. To many. So you get angry at the game and leave the dungeon. Then some courier gives you a letter saying to go back in and do the dungeon over again. No thanks it's a stupid quest, not interested. But I am interested in knowing if this quest is a mod some idiot wannabe DM created. Because I'm uninstalling all that crap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Daggerfall/comments/3tunql/dont_do_quests_for_akatosh_they_suck/

:M

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
After playing dank souls i cant stand left-click games anymore, every game should have a variety of melee attacks and
stuff should somehow feel like theres some weight behind it. But Bethesda games are so fucking floaty i feel like i am playing
a hovercraft, a few more attacks would not make it good or even decent.

Anyway Morrowind > Skyrim, i somehow always felt like morrowind could be modded to be turn based, like maybe it could be good.
I spend 40 hours on Skyrim, played 8 hours - hated it, modded it for like 30 hours - still hated it, mods cant save this shit... unless you
are into beastiality and shit.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Pointless space is a pointless waste of time.
Morrowind actually managed to cram a huge amount of stuff in quite a tiny space without making the game world seem overly compressed, making clever use of terrain, fog and architecture to make the game world seem much bigger than it actually was. Two towns might've been just a two-minute walk away from each other, but the road between them might've taken you around some hills, over a bridge and past some caverns, perhaps also letting you run into one or two NPCs or quests on the way, so it felt like an actual journey despite being so short. Although some of the actual towns could've been a bit bigger, it's still a great example of how to handle scale in an open-world game.

In general Bethesda are pretty good at this kind of stuff, even though they've somewhat drifted towards amusement park design and towns with a population of ten people, with Skyrim probably being the best of their post-Morrowind efforts. As an another kind of example you could mention New Vegas, which is a damn good game with a well-realized open world but doesn't handle its sense of scale all that well. For example, the first trip you'll make is most likely to Primm, which you can actually see all the way from Goodsprings. Even though the trip between the two towns might actually take more time than a trip between, say, Balmora and Caldera, it feels much shorter, is more boring (since you can immediately see everything that lies between you and your destination and can just take a beeline to it) and causes the game world to feel really small and compressed as a result. The towns usually consist of one or two streets with all the notable buildings conveniently located next to them, with maybe a few (mostly abandoned) shacks here and there reminding you that you're supposed to be in a town, whereas in Morrowind you might have a side alley that hides a corner club, a big multi-level building that is filled with apartments, shops and guildhouses, or simply a row of houses with their own residents that may or may not be important in some way. All this allows the game to hide its rather small scale and also make exploration more interesting, but an experienced player can still navigate the game world very quickly once he learns the layouts.

tl;dr: It's only a waste of time if you're the worst kind of n'wah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom